Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Oh they didn't sysprep. They cloned from template not deployed from template. Nice.

I don't even understand it at all. The guy was shown how to deploy a huge pile of vms very easily through a pre-existing script. Just had to dump in the pile of names, let vmware do its thing for a bit and then setup permissions for the appropriate people to get into them and do whatever. He did it all manually after being showed the lazy way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Filthy Lucre posted:

My network engineer is an Indian immigrant, he used to use "do the needful" until I convinced him that was an American euphemism for masturbation.

I need a maneuver like this to use on "revert" as a synonym for "reply".

My god it makes things confusing in a dev environment

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham posted:

I need a maneuver like this to use on "revert" as a synonym for "reply".

My god it makes things confusing in a dev environment

Also, Automation people inverting the meaning of upload and download: "download code to the PLC"

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Cumslut1895 posted:

Also, Automation people inverting the meaning of upload and download: "download code to the PLC"

I was pushed into doing PLC stuff in my last job because computers right? I figured it out eventually and actually liked it enough to consider doing some kind of tertiary education, but holy poo poo I would have to sit there for 5 minutes every time trying to figure out if I wanted to download or upload something in fear of getting it the wrong way around and breaking everything.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Automation engineering and software development for that niche is seriously :psyboom: at times. Siemens does the whole "download to" / "upload from" thing, but at least in Step7, the icons for those two things have helpful arrows :v:

Full disclosure: I've been working with industrial automation and communication for a few years now, my CS degree had a major in industrial automation.

You guys would be surprised (and probably horrified) to see some of the ugly hacks that are in production running critical systems around the world.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Wibla posted:

You guys would be surprised (and probably horrified) to see some of the ugly hacks that are in production running critical systems around the world.

Not in this of all threads.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

18 Character Limit posted:

Not in this of all threads.

It depends, I mean like a bit of bank software hacked together to stay running on legacy hardware/software probably won't kill you, but a forced bit in a PLC program to override a dodgy sensor that's part of the safety circuit very easily could.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nothing in ICS/SCADA could possibly surprise me, it is the absolute worst.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One of the projects I've been pushing, but is getting push back by the industrial engineers is automatic data dumps to SQL. Right now some dude walks around with an SD card to get data from all the PLC equipment, every loving day, then copies it over to a network share, where a secretary spends hours putting it into spreadsheets.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/fztalks/status/864852163230609408

"If you liked our extortion please consider contributing to our Patreon."

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

GreenNight posted:

One of the projects I've been pushing, but is getting push back by the industrial engineers is automatic data dumps to SQL. Right now some dude walks around with an SD card to get data from all the PLC equipment, every loving day, then copies it over to a network share, where a secretary spends hours putting it into spreadsheets.

Gotta protect our jerbs.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Code monkey checking in. My current job requires following a 'hacking seminar' for all devs to be more aware of safe coding, security etc. I'm pretty tech savvy about defensive coding but this showed all the things the attackers do, so the offensive side.

IT WAS AMAZING. It's so much fun learning about this stuff, and actually doing hacking attacks on a dummy web application or network or computer is so cool. :allears: The seminar included a 500-page book on pentesting that I'm reading on my Workrave breaks and it's fascinating. I looked around for a pentesting/security thread but there's just the 'security fuckups' thread in YOSPOS so I guess I'm gonna read that!

Oh and thankfully we didn't get hit by Wannacry. Our sysadmin just enables auto-update on all the Windows machines. :haw:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Merijn posted:

I looked around for a pentesting/security thread but there's just the 'security fuckups' thread in YOSPOS so I guess I'm gonna read that!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750534&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The Yospos thread focuses mainly on stories of gently caress ups, for actual learning, the security thread here is more question-friendly. The yospos thread is more fun though

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
Whoops.. What did I do?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Noooo they hacked your Gibson!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rudager posted:

It depends, I mean like a bit of bank software hacked together to stay running on legacy hardware/software probably won't kill you, but a forced bit in a PLC program to override a dodgy sensor that's part of the safety circuit very easily could.

I just had an outage where a local plant electrician/plc programmer bypassed a temperature alarm and melted a rather expensive piece of equipment.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Slack3r posted:

Whoops.. What did I do?

Quick, unplug those drives before they catch it too.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Quick, unplug those drives before they catch it too.
unplug the 5.25 floppies? :crossarms:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elizabethan Error posted:

unplug the 5.25 floppies? :crossarms:

The floppy drives on the Commodore 64 are fully functional 6502 based computers (like the C64 itself, CPU is of the same type and speed) with a 16 KB onboard operating system and 2 KB of local RAM each.

They would be fully capable of running and spreading hypothetical malware to each other or the computer itself.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The president of one of our clients calls us, fuming that he can't log in. I ask him what his username is.

He screams back, "Don't try to confuse me with that technical bullshit!!"

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

HellCopter posted:

The president of one of our clients calls us, fuming that he can't log in. I ask him what his username is.

He screams back, "Don't try to confuse me with that technical bullshit!!"

Its always good when you have to talk a grown adult down like you would a tantruming toddler in order to help them.

I've literally given the "Now you have two choices..." spiel over the phone to a grown rear end man before.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fishmech posted:

The floppy drives on the Commodore 64 are fully functional 6502 based computers (like the C64 itself, CPU is of the same type and speed) with a 16 KB onboard operating system and 2 KB of local RAM each.

They would be fully capable of running and spreading hypothetical malware to each other or the computer itself.
Some C64 demos used the 6502 in the floppy drive as a coprocessor. As far a know no commercial software did though (likely for compatibility reasons).

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Slack3r posted:

Whoops.. What did I do?
Oh poo poo better hit up the local BBS

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Its always good when you have to talk a grown adult down like you would a tantruming toddler in order to help them.

I've literally given the "Now you have two choices..." spiel over the phone to a grown rear end man before.

My co-worker today got a call that a printer was malfunctioning. The person refused to go get the service number off the printer, or to get someone else to do it, or to email it to us later. These printers are under contract, and we need the service number to call for support, since we have a couple hundred printers over 5 locations. This fact was explained to the user. They said they didn't have time to do it and wouldn't be doing it. Co-worker replied "That's unfortunate." and then hung up when the user started frothing.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

My co-worker today got a call that a printer was malfunctioning. The person refused to go get the service number off the printer, or to get someone else to do it, or to email it to us later. These printers are under contract, and we need the service number to call for support, since we have a couple hundred printers over 5 locations. This fact was explained to the user. They said they didn't have time to do it and wouldn't be doing it. Co-worker replied "That's unfortunate." and then hung up when the user started frothing.

Ticket Resolved: Ain't That A Shame

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Calmly stating "Ok you have two choices at this point. Either you can communicate with me in a professional manner and allow me to help you, or I am going to hang up the phone and you can call back when you are ready." will break some of them out of toddler mode. Some escalate but that's why there's option two.

Help desk really is the worst and I get pissed when engineers give those guys poo poo. They deal with the worst fuckups so if they escalate something dumb or gently caress up just consider it the price of not having to do that incredibly lovely job yourself.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The culture here is that I am not helpdesk. Some people who hate the MSP still like to come to me for help, but they do so asking for a favor. It's really nice having people respect my time when asking for poo poo.

The more I think about it, the less I think I'm ever going to leave this place.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750534&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The Yospos thread focuses mainly on stories of gently caress ups, for actual learning, the security thread here is more question-friendly. The yospos thread is more fun though

My security thread can kick your security threads rear end.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

One of our branch manager's is like this. Whenever he calls with a problem he is always combative and vague about the issue. On more than one occasion I've told him to call me back when he is ready to solve the problem and hung up on him.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Could you reboot the PC and we'll see if that fixes it?

I don't know how to reboot, do you mean restart?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I get probably unjustifiably irritated by people who will submit a ticket with "- AGAIN!" at the end of the subject, as though they're implying that somehow people are setting out to gently caress their stuff up on purpose and don't actually want it fixed so they don't have a reason to get in touch again.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

spankmeister posted:

My security thread can kick your security threads rear end.

Yep. But your thread's too scary for me to ask questions in.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Welp, pour one out for those teleworkers at IBM...

Good god, I would be *so* happy to even get part-time work-from-home, but nearly all my job requires physical presence. :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Good god, I would be *so* happy to even get part-time work-from-home, but nearly all my job requires physical presence. :(

Looks like they are wanting to lay people off but are instead hoping they resign.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Sickening posted:

Looks like they are wanting to lay people off but are instead hoping they resign.

That is exactly what the article says.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Help desk really is the worst and I get pissed when engineers give those guys poo poo. They deal with the worst fuckups so if they escalate something dumb or gently caress up just consider it the price of not having to do that incredibly lovely job yourself.

Having done both sides of this and currently being in a tier 1 role, holy poo poo is this accurate. I always try to get as much information as I can but sometimes you can only get so much. There's one network engineer that's generally a decent guy but he'll send tickets back to the desk all the drat time because he doesn't want to interact with users more than the bare loving minimum. One of these days I'm gonna get pretty unprofessional with him for doing that poo poo to me.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

I get probably unjustifiably irritated by people who will submit a ticket with "- AGAIN!" at the end of the subject, as though they're implying that somehow people are setting out to gently caress their stuff up on purpose and don't actually want it fixed so they don't have a reason to get in touch again.
The word "Issue" attached to vague statements is starting to bug me now...
"[X] is causing an issue"
"[Y] is going to be an issue"
"We're currently having issues with [Z]"

What the gently caress is the issue, why is it a big deal, and what do you want me to do about it?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I had a lady on the overflow line today call in fuming that we require an administrator at the agency to give permission before resetting a password (if they refuse to do it themselves like they're supposed to). Apparently I'm supposed to allow anyone calling in and saying they're JimBob to log in and access their data. Then she got even more pissed when I said she'd have to talk to a manager about it.

I've made it very clear before that I would never take a manager role, and that's exactly why. I don't want to have to deal with six year old adults throwing tantrums over their own stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Watching IBM ruin itself to keep the shareholders happy is so unfortunate. They're responsible for pretty much the entire way modern computing functions and then some. And now they're becoming a joke like Yahoo. :smithcloud:

• Locked thread