Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pawl posted:

That's not +2, that's x2

:stare:

That should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Pawl posted:

That's not +2, that's x2

So, exactly the same as they are now, in terms of strength...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

That's not +2, that's x2

Yeah? And..?

Have you never played 40k or something?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The d3 damage on the other hand, that's neat.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Not sure if I should be disappointed or impressed that out of all the ways they could've ruined chainsword rules they chose the one that makes the least sense.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah? And..?

Have you never played 40k or something?

I haven't, no

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Broken Record Talk posted:

So, exactly the same as they are now, in terms of strength...

But no longer capped at S10.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Hra Mormo posted:

Not sure if I should be disappointed or impressed that out of all the ways they could've ruined chainsword rules they chose the one that makes the least sense.

To be fair they explain their logic in the article. They wanted them to be used primarily for infantry disposal so bonus attacks mean carving through more dudes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah it makes Dreads and Roboute str 12 on the swing.

Since there's no mention of it, I wonder if the str of the attack no longer confers an AP bonus.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I wonder how they'll make MCs a credible threat to the heavier vehicles. I'm assuming Strength stats of 8 and up are going to be the norm for Daemon Princes/ Nid beasts, or they will be munched by Dreads bad.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah it makes Dreads and Roboute str 12 on the swing.

Since there's no mention of it, I wonder if the str of the attack no longer confers an AP bonus.

No longer? It never did.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sephyr posted:

I wonder how they'll make MCs a credible threat to the heavier vehicles. I'm assuming Strength stats of 8 and up are going to be the norm for Daemon Princes/ Nid beasts, or they will be munched by Dreads bad.

I think if you take a dread and pass on a larger ranged weapon for a claw or other DCCW it should make the dread a nightmare in combat.

I assume Nid MCs crushing claws will be like DCCWs anyhow.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Does that mean power fists no longer strike last?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

JBP posted:

Correct.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I like these rules a lot. Power weapons were what we expected, the chainsword bonus is fine. D weapons just doing a shitload of damage is OK too.

JBP posted:

Correct. Initiative no longer exists.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Only problem with giving chainswords rules is that they've never been differentiated before. Cadian sergeants have chainswords but Catachan ones have knives.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Only problem with giving chainswords rules is that they've never been differentiated before. Cadian sergeants have chainswords but Catachan ones have knives.

Don't expect jungle hicks to be adept at keeping a chainsaw in working order.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It never did make any sense that a literal chainsaw sword had the exact same stats as a combat knife either, though. I was hoping for AP-1 but this is ok too. I do get the feeling that units armed with pistols are going to lose that +1 CC attack since they can shoot in assault so this will be a nice bonus for Assault Marines etc.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TKIY posted:

No longer? It never did.

It did the last time weapons modified saves instead of just allowed or not binary.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'd guess Choppas are AP -1, +1 attack.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Knight Faction Focus is up. Here.

Things of note:

24 wounds, with 3+ save, 8 toughness, and a 5+ invuln against shooting.

Thermal Cannon is a melta on steroids, with d3 shots normally and d6 if targeting a unit above 5 models.

Stomps are actual weapons now.

Thunderstrike Gauntlets flat out fling destroyed monsters and vehicles into nearby enemies for a chance at mortal wounds.

Trygons get multiple d6 melee attacks.

Knights can step over infantry and still fire (so get ready to engage with vehicles!)

The Knight detachment is 3-5 Lords of War, coincidentally also perfectly sized for using those Triumverate model packs from Gathering Storm.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The Bee posted:

:awesome:

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
"Add in the inclusion of a 5+ invulnerable save against shooting – regardless of which direction the shots are fired from, thanks to their ion shield "

Seems like facing is still A Thing?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
High toughness and a lot of wounds but still only a 3+. They look tough but they get way less effective at half wounds.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Pawl posted:

"Add in the inclusion of a 5+ invulnerable save against shooting – regardless of which direction the shots are fired from, thanks to their ion shield "

No? It says regardless of which direction.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah, from this it looks like Strength D weapons are mostly going to become "weapons that do 6 damage"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

panascope posted:

No? It says regardless of which direction.

I think Pawl is speculating that the need to specifically mention that is implying some shields will be directional.

Either way, Knights seem surprisingly easy to start tearing apart in this edition. Power Fists can help tie or pass their strength score while bringing their save from 3 to 6, for example. If you can soften them up good enough, that'll make them way weaker on retaliation.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
They mentioned direction because previously Knight shields required a direction. Now they don't. Don't read too much into it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

I think Pawl is speculating that the need to specifically mention that is implying some shields will be directional.
Knights' shields used to be directional so they're highlighting the difference between the new and old rules.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pawl posted:

I think that's because ion shields right now deflect from a specific direction and people might still expect that.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Safety Factor posted:

Knights' shields used to be directional so they're highlighting the difference between the new and old rules.

Cut him some Slack, he doesn't actually play.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

Don't you start making a coupla assumptions. Chutche2 is king assumptioner around here.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I need more Stompas!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The Bee posted:

You had me thinking Trygons get several D6-worth of attacks, not multiple attacks that deal D6 damage until I read the article.
Still neat though

E: I wonder how they're going to handle the statlines on Tyranid melee weapons since scything talons can exist on 'Nids of all sizes. Strength is easy enough to leave as a profile modification, but AP/damage will be harder to make modular between different models.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 19, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pawl posted:

"Sir, our Land Raider's charge was deflected by the Monolith's armor! What are your orders?"

"Spin."

"Sir?"

"You heard me, start spinning!"

This is a feature not a bug.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
My bad on that one. Still, I am fully on the Trygon hype train this edition.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is a feature not a bug.

Is Panascope making the vehicles of the far future? Does the Land Raider's horn cause spontaneous combustion?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Broken Record Talk posted:

Is Panascope making the vehicles of the far future? Does the Land Raider's horn cause spontaneous combustion?

*Assault ramp crashes down and terminators charge out of their land raider*

*Land raider honks uncontrollably until the ramp is raised again, then explodes*

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I love that the Knights actually throw the corpses/wrecks of things they kill at other enemies with the gauntlets. That is completely badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Wes Young do pistols still give an extra attack for being an off-hand weapon, or are they now just getting the Shooting phase attacks? Still an extra attack in the turn that you charge, or does that go away, as well?

Warhammer 40,000 Well, we have shown a pistol stat line already in the Datasheet article (linked below). The pistol stat line does not say "you receive an extra attack in combat" like the chainsword does, so it is safe to assume that a bolt pistol does not give you +1 attack in combat.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/.../new-warhammer.../

• Locked thread