Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ate all the Oreos posted:

To be fair I mentioned the turkey story and my stupid turkey puns to my wife and she just said "turkeys don't bawk that makes no drat sense :colbert:"

Yeah! Marrying well is GWL :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Canada and Australia is BWM. Gotta keep borrowing money to keep up with a Jones. New Zealand has been left out, things are looking shaky here and not because of the earthquakes.

quote:

His latest book, Can We Avoid Another Financial Crisis? argues Australia, along with Belgium, China, Canada and South Korea, is a "zombie" economy sleepwalking into a crunch that could come between 2017 and 2020.

"Both [Australia and Canada] will suffer a serious economic slowdown in the next few years since the only way they can sustain their current growth rates is for debt to continue growing faster than GDP," he writes.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11859031

http://www.economist.com/news/ameri...r=dailydispatch

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Puns are a socially acceptable way to partially relieve your misery by spreading it to all around you. GWL and BWL.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

Canada and Australia is BWM. Gotta keep borrowing money to keep up with a Jones. New Zealand has been left out, things are looking shaky here and not because of the earthquakes.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11859031

http://www.economist.com/news/ameri...r=dailydispatch

*Newspapers and economists will squawk and predict that the sky will fall at any second.*

*Average house price continues to head steadily towards $2 million.*

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's Australia, son: they aren't making any more of it! (Thank god.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Man we are going to have such a bad global recession when all the different exponential growths collapse at once under their own weight it's gonna make 2008 look quaint by comparison

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Sic Semper Goon posted:

*Newspapers and economists will squawk and predict that the sky will fall at any second.*

*Average house price continues to head steadily towards $2 million.*

*average garden shed on 4 square meters of land heads towards $3.5m in Auckland*

Man we are going to have such a bad global recession when all the different exponential growths collapse at once under their own weight it's gonna make 2008 look quaint by comparison

The Fed appears to have stopped the latest round of quantitative easing. Now they are signalling that they are going to start selling off the shares and bonds on their balance sheet. All the traders borrowing money will have to source it all in Yen or Euros soon. My biggest concern is that there will be a cascade of bubbles collapsing. It could be quite bad if everything fails within a few months.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 19, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The US might be in pretty decent shape. Household debt is up to 2008 levels, but housing isn't overheated and there are at least some regulations still keeping banks honest. With incomes finally rising I think we're in for a couple more years of swell times.

The tech sector is over valued, but the worst unicorn is Uber and only rich people and corporations have money tied up in that. So maybe the US will sit this next global crisis out. Sorry, Canada.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Krispy Kareem posted:

The US might be in pretty decent shape. Household debt is up to 2008 levels, but housing isn't overheated and there are at least some regulations still keeping banks honest. With incomes finally rising I think we're in for a couple more years of swell times.

The tech sector is over valued, but the worst unicorn is Uber and only rich people and corporations have money tied up in that. So maybe the US will sit this next global crisis out. Sorry, Canada.

On the other hand, Donald J. Trump is the president.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I predict that at some point in the future one or more national economies will crash to a greater or lesser extent, and our understanding of the complex interwoven factors involved will be largely expressed in a swirling mixture of breathless post-hoc rationalization

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I predict that at some point in the future one or more national economies will crash to a greater or lesser extent, and our understanding of the complex interwoven factors involved will be largely expressed in a swirling mixture of breathless post-hoc rationalization

Then we'll blame it on $otherpeople and forget all about it until we do it all again.

It's the ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiircle of life.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Well that's just like a horoscope; it's so broadly applicable that it will be true no matter what.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

It's the ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiircle of life.

Speaking of people bad with money, at least for a brief stint: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1024745.stm

BBC posted:

The singer's lavish lifestyle saw him spend more than £9.6m on property and £293,000 on flowers between January 1996 and September 1997.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I hope the next huge housing crash causing mass homelessness and debt-induced suicide comes in 5-10 years. Then I can get in on a sweet foreclosure deal.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hope the next huge housing crash causing mass homelessness and debt-induced suicide comes in 5-10 years. Then I can get in on a sweet foreclosure deal.

It will probably begin and end with a yuppie banker only getting a 9% bonus, instead of a 10% one.

Of course, he already spent 300% his annual salary included the expected slightly larger bonus, so...

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This but unironically and in like, 4 years.

Jan 11, 2004

therobit posted:

Well that's just like a horoscope; it's so broadly applicable that it will be true no matter what.

You don't say

Jan 11, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

latestagecapitalism.txt

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm :toxx:ing for this

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!
Someone filled out a reimbursement form for travel and turned it in to HR today.

They had to call them up because his reported miles were 147 on a trip that should be about 90 miles.

Apparently, he drove an extra 57 miles (about 28 miles each way) to go to a gas station that had gas at 11 cents per gallon cheaper to try and save the agency money.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

But are you going to pay it?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

No Butt Stuff posted:

But are you going to pay it?

They are giving him the fleet rate instead.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone filled out a reimbursement form for travel and turned it in to HR today.

They had to call them up because his reported miles were 147 on a trip that should be about 90 miles.

Apparently, he drove an extra 57 miles (about 28 miles each way) to go to a gas station that had gas at 11 cents per gallon cheaper to try and save the agency money.

I was all ready to make a dumb excuse like that the last time I had to track travel time and wound up going out of my way for something stupid but since my company was just billing another company for everything they didn't ask why my 60 minute drive mysteriously took 90 minutes or why I parked in the really nice expensive parking garage right at the airport terminal that charges like $15 a day for a whole week :v:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

I think it'll be a slow burn. Instead of one traumatic crash (sorry, ahem, "correction") consumer purchasing power will steadily erode, inflation will keep pushing food prices up, and household debt will continue to climb while the Federal Reserve/Bank of Canada/whatever try their best to keep interest rates artificially low because it's the only thing propping up the economy. Kind of like how Japan has been keeping itself in a low interest rate climate for about 25 years, now. People are very wary of a 2008-style crash and will flip their collective poo poo if they see signs of it, but are less likely to notice the more subtle signs of a gradual (but steady) re-structuring of the economy. And most people won't get thrown into a panic as long as their real estate values are stable.

... and then our economies will poo poo the bed once we encounter our first ever, retirement/elderly care affordability crisis in ~15 years. :suicide:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 19, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

melon cat posted:

I think it'll be a slow burn. Instead of one traumatic crash (sorry, ahem, "correction") consumer purchasing power will steadily erode, inflation will keep pushing food prices up, and household debt will continue to climb while the Federal Reserve/Bank of Canada/whatever try their best to keep interest rates artificially low because it's the only thing propping up the economy. Kind of like how Japan has been keeping itself in a low interest rate climate for about 25 years, now. People are very wary of a 2008-style crash and will flip their collective poo poo if they see signs of it, but are less likely to notice the more subtle signs of a gradual (but steady) re-structuring of the economy. And most people won't get thrown into a panic as long as their real estate values are stable.

... and then our economies will poo poo the bed once we encounter our first ever, retirement/elderly care affordability crisis in ~15 years. :suicide:

Inflation has been at historic lows (and was indeed so low that it holding back growth during the great recession), the Federal Reserve has been raising interest rates, and low interest rates are not the only thing preventing a crash.

So, I would say that you can put the gun down and you'll probably be fine as long as you don't buy an investment property on an interest-only mortgage in Toronto.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

I was all ready to make a dumb excuse like that the last time I had to track travel time and wound up going out of my way for something stupid but since my company was just billing another company for everything they didn't ask why my 60 minute drive mysteriously took 90 minutes or why I parked in the really nice expensive parking garage right at the airport terminal that charges like $15 a day for a whole week :v:

Pushing company expense reimbursement to (but not over) the limit is GWM.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Friendly reminder that BWM-topical movie The Wizard of Lies is getting good buzz and premieres on HBO tomorrow night.

Hm. Is premium cable BWM?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But that makes no sense, you get mileage or gas, but not both? Like if he rented a car for it he could expense the gas, but then there would be no need to report mileage?

Edit: I mean padding mileage is what was happening, but it is one of the dumbest excuses I've heard.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

But that makes no sense, you get mileage or gas, but not both? Like if he rented a car for it he could expense the gas, but then there would be no need to report mileage?

Edit: I mean padding mileage is what was happening, but it is one of the dumbest excuses I've heard.

When I did it I was reimbursed for miles traveled (for 'time and wear on the car' or something) and a tank of gas separately but i'm pretty sure that's because we were exploiting that other company so :shrug:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

crazypeltast52 posted:

That is typically how it works, yes. The IRS mileage rate is meant to be an "all inclusive" rate. Otherwise you can go to more itemized expenses (what I assume the fleet rate is, which likely breaks out for fuel and maintenance.) If you have a rental of a non-commercial vehicle they are normally unlimited miles, so you just have to fill it up and return the rental + gas receipt.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Friendly reminder that BWM-topical movie The Wizard of Lies is getting good buzz and premieres on HBO tomorrow night.

Hm. Is premium cable BWM?

Yes, because HBO has a streaming service. Not cord-cutting is very BWM.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

Robots and Uber.

Robots are Japan's answer, so we'll see how they manage it and adopt the good 'non-killing grandma' parts for our own old people.

Uber because people can survive much longer in their own homes as long as they have someone bring them food and take them to doctor's appointments. My mom would be in assisted living right now if I didn't live 15 minutes from her and have the time and wherewithal to bring her food and take her places. Technology should make day-to-day old people care less expensive as time goes on because they have universal health care and will be able to afford the extra help.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
:lol: if you think a company that's never turned a profit will be around in 15 years. That VC gravy train won't last forever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Robots and Uber.

Robots are Japan's answer, so we'll see how they manage it and adopt the good 'non-killing grandma' parts for our own old people.

Uber because people can survive much longer in their own homes as long as they have someone bring them food and take them to doctor's appointments. My mom would be in assisted living right now if I didn't live 15 minutes from her and have the time and wherewithal to bring her food and take her places. Technology should make day-to-day old people care less expensive as time goes on because they have universal health care and will be able to afford the extra help.

Speaking of that and BWM (and also horribly creepy), for only $2700 you can now get your very own anime hologram waifu to pretend your single salaryman life isn't crushingly void and empty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkcKaNqfykg

Japan will have a birth rate of 0 by 2025, calling it now

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

When I did it I was reimbursed for miles traveled (for 'time and wear on the car' or something) and a tank of gas separately but i'm pretty sure that's because we were exploiting that other company so :shrug:

That's how we do it. If you have a trip that includes a lot of stops or an indefinite amount of time, then they will reimburse you for miles (wear and tear) and expenses (including gas) from the trip.

If you are going directly from one office to another, then they give you the "fleet rate" which is a flat amount per trip + tolls.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

:lol: if you think a company that's never turned a profit will be around in 15 years. That VC gravy train won't last forever.

Uber will be around. It will be owned by someone else most likely, but the name value and infrastructure are worth billions even if they aren't making any money.

I think GM and Ford already own chunks of Lyft. Since the future is going to require far fewer cars, it makes sense for carmakers to own the means by which we call those cars. They'll move from a single purchase model with upgrades every 5 or 6 years to a subscription one. Think Adobe and Photoshop.

Edit: Imagine having to admit you have a subscription to a Chrysler when all the other guys have subs to Mercedes and Audi.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 19, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Konstantin posted:

uhh you need to have a cable subscription to have a HBO sub unless they changed that in the last 5 years.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Konstantin posted:

Not in Canada, no HBO Go here. You can't even buy episodes on itunes or other a la carte services until the new season of a show has already started. And they love to send you "notice and notice" letters if you pirate their poo poo, not that this stops.

Paying for media in Canada is ethical but BWM.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

uhh you need to have a cable subscription to have a HBO sub unless they changed that in the last 5 years.

They did - you can buy HBO Go as a streaming service, just like netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nail Rat posted:

Amazon was public for 4 years before its first profitable quarter, let alone year; until a few years ago it still routinely lost money. Snap just raised a pile on the public markets without a plan for profitability at all. You don't need VC gravy to keep going.