Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's like that one episode of DS9 where Eddington tells Sisko that he thinks the Federation, in its own way, is worse than the Borg, because at least the Borg are honest about what they do.

It's an interesting chestnut to consider, the "But we don't WANT to live in a utopia!" argument.

At least Star Trek has a history of effectively handling and portraying shades of grey, and Deep Space Nine was all about showing the downsides, blind spots, and flaws in the utopian Federation.

Star Wars doesn't have anything comparable outside a few isolated books and the almost-entirely-retconned KOTOR 2. I enjoy Star Wars for what it is, but a setting comfortable with anything but black and white morality it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One thing I noticed in the Rogue One Visual Dictionary is that it mentions briefly at the start that the Empire, because it absorbed the Separatist territory at the end of the Clone Wars, is larger than the Republic ever was. That seems to pretty much imply that in the new canon at least, the Separatists weren't just seceding from the Republic but bringing in new worlds also, something that I don't think was present in the old EU.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tatooine wasn't part of the Republic but by the time of the Empire it was under imperial occupation despite being a Hutt territory.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Separatists are more interesting because you can read a lot into them; they're a cause that might have been worthy at one point but they've been hijacked by a cartel of crooks.

This is a reference to a global warming right?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Something I've just remembered is that, in one of the deleted scenes from ANH with Biggs visiting Luke on Tatooine, one of the things he mentions as evidence of the Empire tightening its grip is that they've started nationalising all of the large companies in the Core worlds, so surely you'd logically expect some ex-Separatist types to join up with the Rebels as well.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

In Rogue One, Admiral Raddus was commanding an old Separatist capital ship, and that had to come from somewhere.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Something I've just remembered is that, in one of the deleted scenes from ANH with Biggs visiting Luke on Tatooine, one of the things he mentions as evidence of the Empire tightening its grip is that they've started nationalising all of the large companies in the Core worlds, so surely you'd logically expect some ex-Separatist types to join up with the Rebels as well.

That's always been the explanation for why the Rebels had the super-powerful x-wings and the Empire didn't, that the x-wing's manufacturer fled the Empire's nationalization of the corporations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cptn_dr posted:

In Rogue One, Admiral Raddus was commanding an old Separatist capital ship, and that had to come from somewhere.

Huh. I assumed that was a Mon Calamari ship.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Huh. I assumed that was a Mon Calamari ship.

It is an MC series ship. The separatists did use Mon Calamari Shipyards designs throughout the Clone Wars. The Recusant Class destroyer is another Mon Cal design.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I thought his ship was a building that the mon Calamari jury-rigged into a warship?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

VaultAggie posted:

I thought his ship was a building that the mon Calamari jury-rigged into a warship?

It is. I was pointing out that the Mon Cal nevertheless did develop dedicated warships for the CIS during the Clone Wars.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Oh, of course it was. My bad. Though you can see how I got confused.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

VaultAggie posted:

There's the holonet router, there's the recaff maker, there's the turbolaser emplacement, and here's your cubicle. Welcome aboard!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

George Lucas would be libertarian.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CharlestheHammer posted:

George Lucas would be libertarian.

On the other hand the villains in the prequels ride around in a capital ship named The Invisible Hand and blockade planets and commit genocide over not wanting to pay taxes

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

On the other hand the villains in the prequels ride around in a capital ship named The Invisible Hand and blockade planets and commit genocide over not wanting to pay taxes

The Invisible Hand only appears in the opening of RotS and is destroyed. While it did participate in the blockade of Coruscant, that one had nothing to do with taxes.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Han Solo and Lando are also libertarian-types who stop being selfish and help the other good guys at climactic turning points in the OT. George Lucas is an old white liberal who's about as left-leaning as a billionaire can be, which is 'sort of'.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Do remember that the novels where Lando is a purestrain libertarian rear end in a top hat were written by a purestrain libertarian rear end in a top hat, and the material isn't often referenced afterwards.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
If I recall. The reason for the blockade was "because Darth Sidius said so" and in the books everyone around Nute Gunray and Gunray himself constantly questions the sense of it.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
It's actually funny that Sidious is telling Gunray to blockade Naboo with the stated goal to put pressure on Senator Palpatine.

Dude is setting up the yugest sob story for himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ecureuilmatrix posted:

It's actually funny that Sidious is telling Gunray to blockade Naboo with the stated goal to put pressure on Senator Palpatine.

Dude is setting up the yugest sob story for himself.

No politician in galactic history has been more unfairly treated than Senator Palpatine.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
This has been the worst Trade Federation in the history of federations, maybe ever.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Phantom Menace was eighteen years ago!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I still remember going to see it opening night. And being confused that the opening scene wasn't a podrace on Tatooine, like it was in the novelization.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Hannibal Rex posted:

The Phantom Menace was eighteen years ago!

"And it still hurts."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJlgpozN31s

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

No politician in galactic history has been more unfairly treated than Senator Palpatine.

You know he's gonna keep the spice mines of Kessel open and load 'em up with some bad dudes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

I still remember going to see it opening night. And being confused that the opening scene wasn't a podrace on Tatooine, like it was in the novelization.

It's funny to think back to 1999 when pretty much everyone I knew had already read the TPM novelization because it came out like a month before the movie and was heavily promoted. It even had like three or four different covers, to hit that collectible market!* And now for TFA and Rogue One they don't even release the novelization until a month after a movie.

TPM probably has to be the best-selling movie novelization.

*I had the Maul/Sidious one, which is obviously the best one.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Chairman Capone posted:

And now for TFA and Rogue One they don't even release the novelization until a month after a movie.

I actually think that's a sensible move regarding how spoiler-sensitive people have become and how protective studios have become regarding plot spoilers. I never quite understood why movie comics and novelizations used to be released weeks or months before the movie. Didn't that kill the suspense, or did it hype people's expectations for the movie? Then again, spoilers just travelled a lot slower before the internet, and with a much smaller reach (schoolyard, circle of friends, fanzines...).

Come to think of it, I just checked and the novelization for The Empire Strikes Back came out about three weeks before the movie was released. I'd love to hear from anyone old enough whether having read the novel impacted their enjoyment of the "I am your father" moment when it happened in the movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

It's funny to think back to 1999 when pretty much everyone I knew had already read the TPM novelization because it came out like a month before the movie and was heavily promoted. It even had like three or four different covers, to hit that collectible market!* And now for TFA and Rogue One they don't even release the novelization until a month after a movie.

All the novelizations came out well ahead of time so I was pretty spoiled on the stories before ever seeing them. Except for ROTS where I specifically avoided spoilers but there weren't many surprises to be had.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Separatists are the "Confederacy of Independent Systems" and the Republic is defended by the Grand Army of the Republic and given that an evil dictator is in charge of the Republic I'm not sure I like what's being said here

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

The Separatists are the "Confederacy of Independent Systems" and the Republic is defended by the Grand Army of the Republic and given that an evil dictator is in charge of the Republic I'm not sure I like what's being said here

The evil dictator is also in charge of the Confederacy and it's the Republic who uses an army of slaves, so maybe don't read too deeply in that part of this rabbit hole

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

I had the junior readers one from Scholastic that had the photographs in the middle.

Years later, I found my dad's old copy of the junior novelisation of ROTJ in my grandmother's house, which was confusing because my dad would have been about 20 when that movie came out.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Random thought: I was watching the episode of Star Wars: Rebels where Ahsoka was fighting Vader. The whole "Then you will die." part where you can see his yellow eye. So I was watching that fight and thinking to myself...drat it would be awesome to get another standalone movie that took place during the original trilogy so I could see more of Vader fighting on the big screen.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

it's the Republic who uses an army of slaves

So do the Separatists :ssh:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

pubic works project posted:

Random thought: I was watching the episode of Star Wars: Rebels where Ahsoka was fighting Vader. The whole "Then you will die." part where you can see his yellow eye. So I was watching that fight and thinking to myself...drat it would be awesome to get another standalone movie that took place during the original trilogy so I could see more of Vader fighting on the big screen.

But that runs into the problem of prequels: plot armor.

Making Vader a side character in Rogue One allowed them to use him only very sparingly. It also allowed them to use him in ways that maximized his effect without making him critical to the plot.

Same goes for Rebels. He's a major antagonist (although one who only shows up in the season premier and finale) but the focus isn't on him, per se, but his past relationship with Ashoka and what the trials of facing him put Ezra and Kanan through.

If you get a standalone Vader movie, you immediately run into issues of how do you create tension when you know Vader has to survive. Plus all the issues of over-exposure and power creep.

I'm not saying it can't be done but it's a difficult thing to pull off well.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

There also the "man, James Earl Jones is sounding rough" factor in play as well. Granted, it's not like they couldn't recast, and it wouldn't be the first time either, but just relegate the character to the comics/games and let the newer antagonists take center stage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I was watching the Pod Race scene on youtube, and I noticed a lot of scenes in it that aren't on my old VHS copy. I remember back when the 3D Re-Release came out seeing some new scenes put into the film, but are any of these available on the Blu-Ray copy? I remember seeing Rats Tyrell's family watching him die horribly, and Anakin losing his right pod cable. So what version of Phantom Menace has the most complete Podrace sequence is what I'm asking.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure either the DVD release or the Blu-Ray stitched back in a bunch of deleted pod race scenes.

Honestly, I think they just make an already long sequence even longer and somehow more boring.

Pretty sure it was the DVD release. Wasn't that also when they replaced the Yoda puppet in TPM with a CG Yoda? Or was that also the Blu-Ray?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have the DVD from when it originally came out however many years ago and Yoda's a puppet in that, so it must have been the Blu-Ray and subsequent releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I was watching the Pod Race scene on youtube, and I noticed a lot of scenes in it that aren't on my old VHS copy. I remember back when the 3D Re-Release came out seeing some new scenes put into the film, but are any of these available on the Blu-Ray copy? I remember seeing Rats Tyrell's family watching him die horribly, and Anakin losing his right pod cable. So what version of Phantom Menace has the most complete Podrace sequence is what I'm asking.

Yeah I noticed that too when my wife and I watched it on Star Wars Day (she demanded we start from the beginning of the saga and then fell asleep halfway through). I can't remember when I bought my DVD copy though.