Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
sry i meant gay ash

edit: snipe lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Radiofrequency radiation injures trees around mobile phone base stations.

This makes the rounds on facebook. I am a ghoul soaking in the rads so i dont care.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That's extra fun when you know just how much radiation it takes to really harm a tree. Even around Chernobyl only the areas that got hit the hardest with fallout had massive plant death - anything less than appreciable amounts of a reactor core raining down doesn't seem to bother trees much. (Nvm the entire "non-ionizing" part...)

Oh well, radiation is scary when you known nothing about it and don't want to learn.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So here's the popsci article that I saw

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-11/wi-fi-radiation-killing-trees

This article is talking about WiFi signals as opposed to cell phone towers, but the effects seem largely minimal. And I especially don't think that a comparison to Chernobyl makes any sense

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, if you put a plant next to a radio tower I guess it might conceivably get a degree of radiation burn but it's not going to be radioactive and that's why you don't live underneath high power radio transmitters.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

But how will I become a superhero?!

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

WrenP-Complete posted:

But how will I become a superhero?!

100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats and 10 km of running. Every single day.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Don't skip meals, but in the mornings just a banana is fine. Go without AC in summer and heating in the winter to strengthen your soul.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I had to do some searching but I found a writeup regarding the wifi/tree study posted 4 years later. you'll see why this wasn't shared on various news sites compared to the original fearmongering one:

from http://www.pepijnvanerp.nl/2014/10/no-clues-for-negative-effects-of-wi-fi-on-trees-according-to-wageningen-university/

I'm not going to copy the whole thing but I suggest you read it if you're interested. Basically they did a legit study exposing wifi radiation to trees in controlled climate chambers and found negligible differences between the experimental and control group. And this wasn't a study backed by multiple universities, it was done by one university and commissioned by the guy who manages the city's urban "green spaces".

quote:

To cut things short: the scientific experiments by Wageningen University don’t show any clue that Wi-Fi (or other sources of EM-fields, like UMTS and DVB-T) might have a negative health effect on trees. It therefore is very unlikely that EM-fields play any role in the occurence of the tree disease and the cause of that should be sought in another direction.

You would expect that this result was welcomed by Alphen aan den Rijn, but that doesn’t seem to be the case if you read their website.There the ‘significant’ differences mentioned in the reports are put forward, as well as the perhaps not so scientifically reliable experiments by Van ‘t Wout himself. The website is definitely suggesting there is now proof that Wi-Fi does have an effect on trees. This looks more and more like a personal motivated mission by Van ‘t Wout in which an objective evaluation of the scientific evidence has been lost out of sight.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Seems rather unsurprising, correlation is not causation and all of that.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Honest question I always wondered about. Why didnt they try to capture bin laden instead of shoot on site?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cr0y posted:

Honest question I always wondered about. Why didnt they try to capture bin laden instead of shoot on site?

They did try to capture him alive, it didn't work out. He wasn't shoot on sight.

If they just wanted him dead, they'd have simply dropped a few bombs on the place. But what they wanted was to capture as many people and as much info on site as possible.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

cr0y posted:

It was one of those snap choice decisions and if it came down to risking one of the Seals getting shot vs. Taking in Bin Laden dead they went with the latter.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Plus I don't think it counts as a crazy conspiracy theory to suggest that taking him alive wasn't even much of an actual mission priority. Obama's got wayyyy fewer headaches if he comes back in a bag, not because it wasn't him or something, but because he doesn't have half the country screaming about why we gotta do all this "trial" nonsense. And everybody involved in the mission knows this.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm 100% sure that bringing him back to the US alive was never part of the mission. There are two things they can do with him in that situation. Put him on trial (which would have been a clusterfuck) or throw him in Guantanamo forever. Both of those outcomes have much the same set of downsides and create a continuing problem for as long as OBL is still alive. Even if he was captured alive, I'd be willing to bet that the mission parameters were 'shoot him as soon as expedient'.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So Kim Dotcom, a man who hates attention, is busting Richgate wide open, right? He says he knew Rich and that he definitely was in contact with wikileaks and he was the leaker, totally.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Helen Highwater posted:

I'm 100% sure that bringing him back to the US alive was never part of the mission. There are two things they can do with him in that situation. Put him on trial (which would have been a clusterfuck) or throw him in Guantanamo forever. Both of those outcomes have much the same set of downsides and create a continuing problem for as long as OBL is still alive. Even if he was captured alive, I'd be willing to bet that the mission parameters were 'shoot him as soon as expedient'.

They probably would have given him a show trial like saddam.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

They probably would have given him a show trial like saddam.

Saddam was tried by the Iraqi government not by the US. The two situations are not remotely comparable.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Helen Highwater posted:

Saddam was tried by the Iraqi government not by the US. The two situations are not remotely comparable.

Oh I'm well aware but lol if you think the us government didn't hand him over knowing they'd get what they wanted. It was a show trial. Not that he didn't deserve it, I feel he did, but if there was any doubt the Iraqi government would pardon him they absolutely wouldn't have handed him over in the first place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like "show trial" is a little unfair given that he didn't exactly hide his dictating.

Like a show trial is usually used to suggest you've rigged the result, if the defendant does that themselves that's not quite the same.

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017
The idea that Bin Ladin had anything to do with those towers was disproven. Bin Ladin wasn't the man "killed" by the military without a trial that was all made up. If he was ever killed at all it happened at Tora Bora. It is a myth like Mohamed Atta. I think I need a photo op.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

FecLives posted:

The idea that Bin Ladin had anything to do with those towers was disproven. Bin Ladin wasn't the man "killed" by the military without a trial that was all made up. If he was ever killed at all it happened at Tora Bora. It is a myth like Mohamed Atta. I think I need a photo op.

Sir, I asked if you wanted fries with that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FecLives posted:

Well you see so-called "Bin Laden" was only his LEGAL name so the LEGAL FICTION of "Bin Laden" as killed but the PERSON WHO IS BIN LADEN is actually immortal.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
You can't prove Pakistan even EXISTS.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Why can't we get the cool conspiracy guys like why isn't Immortal Technique posting?

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Skinty McEdger posted:

100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats and 10 km of running. Every single day.

Constrict anus 100 times and dent navel 100 times, and you can good-bye depression, too!

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017
Make that a plain burger, no kechup, no mayo, nothing, just the buns and the hamburger patty.

I'm sorry you removed your post about the fries. I was responding to you.

Thanks for reposting

El Puerco fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 22, 2017

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FecLives posted:

Sir this is really outside the scope of my training as a furniture salesman

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017
Well then, I would like a Steelcase Desk circa 1980, AKA the " Tank Desk" and a Steelcase chair to go with.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I knew Nanking denial existed in Japan and certain circles but this is the first time I've seen anyone cite ghosts as evidence.

http://eng.the-liberty.com/2014/5260/

quote:

Master Ryuho Okawa of Happy Science Group called forth the spirit of Iris Chang to find out the truth.
The spirit of Iris Chang appeared with an anguished look, crying, “I was killed!” After the publication of “The Rape of Nanking,” Ms. Chang was said to have fallen into depression and committed suicide by a self-inflicted gunshot wound. However she said that she was killed by those who wanted to silence her.

So then, why was she murdered? For what purpose was the book written? The truth that came to light was shocking.

She claimed that she”was promised fame and fortune”, and confessed, “I was young and ambitious, and was gripped by a sense of justice and a duty to inform the world about this incident.”

However, the misrepresentations in the book were revealed to be false very quickly by many historical researchers who wanted to protect Japan’s honor.

t seems then that the book was written by American and Chinese interests that seemed to collaborate in making Japan out to be a villain.

However, around the time President Bush was inaugurated, Chang said, “America’s attitude shifted, and I started to fear for my life”. She said she does not know who killed her, since it happened so quickly, but she is sure that she was being targeted.

Apparently, as America urgently needed Japan’s support in their war in Iraq and the Islamic world, Chang, who had the potential to become a flashpoint in Japanese-American relations, was seen to be a liability.

After her death, Chang’s spirit traveled to the spiritual realm of Nanking for research, but stated that, “I hardly saw anybody who was killed in Nanking by a Japanese soldier.” Furthermore, reflecting on the mass purges committed in communist nations such as China and Russia after the war, she tearfully stated that, “I am not so confident anymore that Japan was really so evil.”

After revealing the truth, the spirit of Chang apologized saying, “People of Japan, I am sorry. My book is fraudulent. Please remove it from print.”

Currently Ms. Chang is wandering between the Ashura hell of suffering and destruction, and the indefinite hell where those who misled people ideologically reside. Her motivation for writing her book may have been well intentioned, but the crime of spreading false ideology is just that heavy.

In order to not allow Chang’s cry of conscience go to waste, Japan should muster the courage to reflect back on its own historical perspective, withdrawing the Kono Discourse, and advocate Japan’s legitimacy to the world.
Furthermore, Japan should amend Article 9 of the Constitution, and collaborate with friendly nations to prevent China from committing further wrongs.

Since we don't have a 'PYF Conspiracy Theory' thread I'm posting this here. I"m torn between sobbing and laughing at that, it's all just so disgusting, even by the extremely low standards of atrocity deniers.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Yeah, that's new to me as well.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nckdictator posted:

I knew Nanking denial existed in Japan and certain circles but this is the first time I've seen anyone cite ghosts as evidence.

http://eng.the-liberty.com/2014/5260/

Since we don't have a 'PYF Conspiracy Theory' thread I'm posting this here. I"m torn between sobbing and laughing at that, it's all just so disgusting, even by the extremely low standards of atrocity deniers.

On the plus side, it will inspire new generations of leftist necromancers to study the dark arts. :3: We need a new generation to be trained before the older generation ascends to lichdom and loses interest in mortal affairs.

Edit: ..."Happy Science Group"? Someone assure me this is a mistranslation.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

GreyjoyBastard posted:

On the plus side, it will inspire new generations of leftist necromancers to study the dark arts. :3: We need a new generation to be trained before the older generation ascends to lichdom and loses interest in mortal affairs.

Edit: ..."Happy Science Group"? Someone assure me this is a mistranslation.

Unfortunately...

That's just the political arm of the cult, fortunately they aren't very successful.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I've been watching ufo videos on youtube, some of them would be kind of plausable if it weren't for the fact that the people who post them are always crazies who think science is a scam and the world is going to end this year.

That and the horrible clickbait titles/thumbnails.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So there's a huge fire in a 24 story residential building in London at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/14/grenfell-tower-major-fire-london-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

I wonder how many conspiracy theorists are masturbating right now, saying "It's not collapsing!"

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yup, you called it:

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
That's just barely enough to make sense if you don't think about it at all and hit yourself in the head with a rock a few times so yeah it's going to spread like wildfire.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So this shooting in Virginia this morning...

It was against Republicans, so that would make this not a false flag, in Infowars-land, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

brylcreem posted:

So there's a huge fire in a 24 story residential building in London at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/14/grenfell-tower-major-fire-london-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

I wonder how many conspiracy theorists are masturbating right now, saying "It's not collapsing!"

The reddit thread about it started getting swarmed with "Huh, strange how it didn't fall into its own footprint like a certain other building" conspiracy retards not long after it hit the front page.

E: Also "Which muslims did this" people from the Trump subreddit.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 14, 2017

• Locked thread