Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Looking to train a melee fighter? Amputate some tribals arms and let your dudes go to town on him with a low quality wooden mace! This game turns people into monsters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Schwza posted:

Looking to train a melee fighter? Amputate some tribals arms and let your dudes go to town on him with a low quality wooden mace! This game turns people into monsters!

It's like og XCOM all over again

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Note to self: if you turn off medicine for a colonist that is only bruised, remember to turn it back on. I had two guys with the flu in my current game and they went off to the hospital to rest until well. It wasn't until after their second treatment that I noticed one of my guys was way behind the infection.

He is now in a Slate Sarcophagus (Normal).

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Lunethex posted:

It's like og XCOM all over again

The only good xcom if you ask me. there is something dirty about jade only losing like one dude in both the firaxis x-coms. :colbert:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

beerinator posted:

Note to self: if you turn off medicine for a colonist that is only bruised, remember to turn it back on. I had two guys with the flu in my current game and they went off to the hospital to rest until well. It wasn't until after their second treatment that I noticed one of my guys was way behind the infection.

He is now in a Slate Sarcophagus (Normal).

I usually just forbid the pile of medicine until a situation comes up where it's worth using.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

I usually just forbid the pile of medicine until a situation comes up where it's worth using.

I do this too but inevitably I will forget to unforbid it until well after my doctor attempts to install a bionic spine on my pawn using herbs. Some sort of customizable priority system would be nice, where bruises and scratches get herbal medicine and glitterworld is reserved for complicated surgeries only.

On an unrelated note, I wonder how difficult it would be to mod in sidearms. I want my dudes to be able to carry both a gun and a sword. It would eliminate a lot of micromanagement and lessen the chance of a rifle wielding dude being mauled to death by a pack of squirrels because he was forced to punch them. It could be balanced by encumbering them a bit, and taking a moment to swap weapons of course. Also think of how badass it would be to draw swords and charge down a fleeing group of raiders, slaughtering them heroically.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 12, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thefluffy posted:

rimworld is :ancap: the game and a good reason for no children can be seen by the ancapball meme. a good example being "when you keep your slaves pregnant for harvesting child organs" I would post the pic it's self but I don't know how it go about it as I still don't know what exactly hotlinking is and how to avoid it. :downs:

It's funny because the game's author is a huge libertarian but he apparently doesn't realize the irony of making What Happens Without Regulations Simulator.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's funny because the game's author is a huge libertarian but he apparently doesn't realize the irony of making What Happens Without Regulations Simulator.

But if he got it, it would cease to be ironic.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I just had a hell of a month/season/Decembary in the development 17 version. I had 11 colonists and I will try to recap what happened here.

1. I sent out 5 guys to assault one of the jackpot missions (not sure of the name/type of these missions). These were my best fighters and I was leaving behind 6 colonists, 2 of which were non-violent colonists. The mission was booty that was supposedly guarded by turrets. The mission location was about 2 caravan days away, so I took 5 days of food.

2. A few in game hours out from the mission, 2 colonists at the main colony and 1 colonist in the caravan got malaria. I figured this guy in the caravan was just going to die, but I had brought medicine. I figured that maybe if I could finish the battle fast enough I would get a chance to heal the guy. (I learned from this though that it appears people get medicine/treated on the road because the person had a jump start on treatment when battle started).

3. I took out the turrets, two guys and a mortar and won the battle/mission. Taking out turrets with snipers is super simple. Two of my guys were wounded and got infected so we took about 2 days to recover, plus fight the malaria.

4. At some in here point my main base got attacked by 25+ deer. They destroyed all my turrets, broke down my doors and knocked down or injured all of my 6 colonists before it ended. Here's a screencap from before my last of six turrets went down. Basically no one could move except for colonist Erin (pacifist) who was in hospital recovering from malaria... I thought this was the end of the colony. Almost everyone was on the ground and I figured I would just watch it play out. But people kept standing up and no one was injured that badly after all was said and done (no one had the "death in XX hours" on their health page).

5. Deer are "taken care of" and people are still in the hospital recovering at my main colony and I got a Siege incoming... I have no turrets, very few components and only four fighters. I took a guy named Tode with a shooting skill of 6 and gave him my best sniper rifle and he went out there and killed two guys and they started their raid. Almost everyone in the raid was emp grenades or regular grenades. Only one person had an assault rifle so we fought them off one at a time with my injured team and no one died. This screenshot is after the raid before we burned the bodies. Note the cooler full of deer and the carpet of blood.

6. At this point my caravanning team had started moving again. Because of injuries, our trip back was more like 5 days and we had food for 1.5 or 2. So we had to stop and build a little base to gather fruit and nuts... Here's that tiny base.

7. I put together some resources and shot a cargo pod of food and supplies to my team at their new temporary colony (4 days walk from my loving base). You can see here that Harper is having a mental issue. This also delayed the caravan because we couldn't leave Harper behind.

8. In the following walk, my caravan of soldiers got stopped by a spelopede manhunter pack (2 bugs - easy) and a rat manhunter pack (a bunch of rats, not as easy).

9. With 2 days walk to go my guys got the new give us money or attack mission and I had to fight 7 guys. Luckily we won with minimal injuries but this took us another day or so to recover and we ended up walking the last day or so without any food.

10. During this last little bit, we also got attacked by raiders at the main colony and they caught one of my guys out in the open because I wasn't paying attention and rather than fight us the rest of the way, they just took who they could catch and now Maskinnen is held captive by them.

11. Here's my away team all returning as heros. They're loving starving after walking the last day and a half or so without food.

Also, there's now a loving poison ship that crashed near my colony that I have to deal with. This is all on Randy Random Rough. No one died in all of this chaos. I did lose one colonist, but maybe we'll get him back one day.

beerinator fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 12, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
A17 is sounding really good now

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I found a small bug in the latest alpha, reported it on their forums with a link to a save file, and it was fixed the next day.

A+ experience would contribute again.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Volmarias posted:

A17 is sounding really good now

I'm entering the third year currently and while some mods will help with the long game, I can now see some appeal of keeping colonies running for many years. I usually get bored with colonies around year 3 or 4, because it's easy to defend a walled up colony.

But with multiple mission types, I can see keeping a warrior team and drop pod launchers at the ready to rush out and add excitement. With a17 I can see a lot of life in this colony even without mods.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

beerinator posted:

I'm entering the third year currently and while some mods will help with the long game, I can now see some appeal of keeping colonies running for many years. I usually get bored with colonies around year 3 or 4, because it's easy to defend a walled up colony.

But with multiple mission types, I can see keeping a warrior team and drop pod launchers at the ready to rush out and add excitement. With a17 I can see a lot of life in this colony even without mods.

yeah enemies need some way to break down walls, otherwise embrasures will always be cheaty. :killdozer: enemy when?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Thefluffy posted:

yeah enemies need some way to break down walls, otherwise embrasures will always be cheaty. :killdozer: enemy when?

So stop using the cheaty mod that will always be cheaty?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Please, someone prevent me from installing these game-breaking mods. When will Tynan stop my sinful hands?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Schedule yourself for surgery to install hook hands, problem solved.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Only Mod I "need" is prepare carefully.Though some of the UI mods are pretty dang handy.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Only Mod I "need" is prepare carefully.Though some of the UI mods are pretty dang handy.

After playing a bunch of a17 I miss these mods:

Numbers
MineItAll (lets you designate a vein to be mined)
Colony Manager
Relations Tab
Work Tab

Everything else I can play without. I do like some sort of fuse mod, like RT Fuse. It only makes sense that the more stable your base is, the less you'll see the zzzts event.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Hand Me That Brick is also huge for the general efficiency of a colony. For the unfamiliar, it allows the 'bring material to construction zone' job to be done by haulers in addition to constructors, so you can have some chowderhead with zero skills bring stuff from clear across the map and your highly skilled and very in demand constructor only needs worry about slapping the stuff together.

It's definitely cheaty in that it makes management much easier but geez, why does it not work like that by default?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Coolguye posted:

It's definitely cheaty in that it makes management much easier but geez, why does it not work like that by default?

This is how I feel about the vein miner thing. If I tell my team to go dig at the steel until they get it all, I don't see how this is a cheat, it just saves me the trouble.

And the UI mods like numbers or the tabs mods, might over complicate things, but they make management a lot easier.

Back to a17 talk: I've seen two more things pop up on caravans.

The first is that your caravan will occasionally bump into other caravans. The popup tells you that you can trade with them or fight them. It gives you the classes of the people in the caravan, so it'll say 2 grenadiers, 2 soldiers, 1 colony guard (I'm typing from poor memory), so it gives you an idea about who you would fight if you fought them.

The second is that you can get ambushed from the ambushed fight map. My caravan was ambushed by 3 guys and we took them down easily. One of my guys took burn damage from the other guy's incendiary launcher so I was patching him up (again, I think this healing might happen on the road, but I wanted to be sure). While we were healing up, we got ambushed on the same map and 7 other guys just showed up on the map and we had another fight on our hands.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think the abhorrent rimworld conditions aren't lost on tynan. I don't think this is his utopia simulator. If anything, it reinforces the need for some sort of moral order that only a large population and relative comfort can offer. The absence of a regulatory authority to enforce that order is the libertarian ideal, and all the negative mood penalties for bad things dependent on individual pawn preferences is his deep simulation.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 15, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

To clarify, I don't think there's any deep political commentary in Rimworld. I don't think he inserted any political agenda into it or its mechanics. I just think it's funny that he holds those beliefs and made a game where people crashlanding on a world with no government are forced to eat rats.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

To clarify, I don't think there's any deep political commentary in Rimworld. I don't think he inserted any political agenda into it or its mechanics. I just think it's funny that he holds those beliefs and made a game where people crashlanding on a world with no government are forced to eat rats.

Fwiw, I agree with you except that he's conscious of its "frontier" nature. Any emergence of politics from the machine are interpretations at best.

Edit: except for the gender association stuff, that poo poo was weird like the chicken code in stardew.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah but that was based on OkCupid statistics, not libertarian philosophy. Still apolitical.

Also do tell about the chickens.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Brown chickens only laid void eggs 3/5ths of the time that white chickens did.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Naw it was way closer to the sexual situation here. As I recall brown chickens always made brown eggs, and white chickens had a fifty-fifty chance for white vs brown. Either that or the inverse.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah it was the inverse. White chicken genes were basically dominant and would overwrite brown chicken genes, which was loving annoying because to 100% that game you needed to ship both colors.

ConcernedApe said that was an oversight though and iirc it is now fixed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What is the Rimworld romance situation now? I know about the controversy but not how/if it got resolved.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Every pawn has the same flat (I think like 15% chance) to be bi now

However the lover acceptance junk is so fiddly that realistically you will notice no difference, and in practice everyone is straight unless they have the gay trait.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Psychology mod does improve that a bit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah, after installing psychiatry my pawns aren't constantly having breakdowns from hitting on anything that moves.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Has anyone tried the mars colony conversion? I'm interested, but not interested enough to actually install it without knowing if it any good.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

A few people reported trying it earlier.

I think they reported that it was challenging but pretty sterile, what with no animals or plants outside the base.

But that was ages ago so I might be misremembering.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I didn't care for MarsX when I tried it. The only challenge it offered was managing very scarce resources (most of your stuff and all of your colonists come on supply missions from Earth).

Oh and also your astronauts poop their pants a lot.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MrChips posted:

I didn't care for MarsX when I tried it. The only challenge it offered was managing very scarce resources (most of your stuff and all of your colonists come on supply missions from Earth).

Oh and also your astronauts poop their pants a lot.

Yeah, all of the challenge was figuring out how the new unforgiving mechanics work. Then it's just sit back and wait for more ships. It's a neat idea, but boring.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Space is pretty boring when you get down to it, yeah. :smith:

Plus Mars ain't no kind of place to raise a kid.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Is there anyway to make pawns not constantly hit on eachother all the drat time in A17? None of the mods which I use to stop that from happening in A16 seem to carry over.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

VerdantSquire posted:

Is there anyway to make pawns not constantly hit on eachother all the drat time in A17? None of the mods which I use to stop that from happening in A16 seem to carry over.

A17 is still on the unstable branch so I'm guessing most mods won't be updated until the official release.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
with tynan's boner for westerns you would think this would be in the base game already :v: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927867598&searchtext=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Thefluffy posted:

with tynan's boner for westerns you would think this would be in the base game already :v: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927867598&searchtext=

Update:
Added new poker table which helps raise Joy of pawns if they win, lowers Joy if they lose; result is generated at-random. Post-game results generated based on relationship scores of all pawns involved; losing pawns may automatically enter a berserk state, start a social fight with the winner, or attack the table until it is destroyed or they are subdued.

As always, let me know how these changes need to be adjusted.