Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

TheAgent posted:

today's update on 3.0

That's amazong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hobold posted:

Its strange looking in on :reddit: at times. Its like one of them will make some biased assumption to twist poo poo in their favor, and then another comes along to build off that.They keep this poo poo up soo long, what they're propping up as some fact or example, is nothing remotely like what they started with. It would be fascinating if it wasn't so loving stupid.

Surfacedetail is fun because he really does a decent job of highlighting just how loving idiotic :reddit: can be. Needs to come up with better names though.

It goes both ways though. We do the exact same thing here. Like the Photoshop with Sandi and the doughnuts. Once the people who remember it are gone is it now reality?

Reddit makes up fantasies to believe something.

SA makes up fantasies to disprove and mock something.

The only reason the SA side is more logical here is that, at this time, belief apparently means also wanting to be scammed out of every last cent of your money by a multinational company that is built on lies by liars.

Though that's why we're here to mock it, too. There's other games out there with just as insane concepts that are impossible; but it's not the impossibility of the task that makes this interesting and heated. It's the hostile method CIG endlessly employs to make sure everybody knows they just want money, and will do anything to get your money.

Lie? Absolutely. Just ask Sandi and her marine biology degree and shoe line. Company was built from the start with lies.

In your face marketing? Yes. Can't have a paragraph come out of CIG without mentioning the next sale.

Dubious intentions? Yes. Nothing CIG has done to date gives off assurance and confidence they can pull off even half of the technical promises that Star Citizen was literally sold to people on.

Hostile marketing? Sure. Go buy your "Private server manual" from the CIG webpage to discover just the tip of the iceberg (:sureboat:). It gets worse with literal $1000+ digital goods selling not even close to being in the game.

Technical misrepresentation? They sold the game DLC pieces on technology that doesn't exist. That multi thousand dollar ship requires more crew than they can even get functioning in their game today.

Time not on their side? The alpha is getting old, the promises keep stacking up, and at over 5 years there isn't even a functional vertical slice yet. They are looking at multiple decades just to catch up with what they've already promised.

CEOs you love to hate? Chris Roberts can't talk about technology to save his life, and barely knows how to use a computer. He's gone on video and showed the world he doesn't even know how to play his own game. Sandi keeps showing up as bit actor in school movie projects, usually using CIG equipment. Both still collect ungodly pay checks, and even backpaid themselves after the Kickstarter. They are the embodiment of greed, ignorance, and have no empathy for the project outside of the money.

Terrible community? It's so bad even CIG shut down their own forums because people and their opinions were getting in the way of making money. If you think CIG values you outside of your money, you're kidding yourself.

All in all, CIG deserve everything they get for bad press instead of that indie studio that may be doing the same thing, only not raking in millions by lies and deceit. It's this fact that no matter how many times people attack Derek and his games; it doesn't loving matter.

Derek never ran a campaign based on lies to collect millions for a game he may or may not be able to make. His games being poo poo, Mass Effect being poo poo, any other game you want being poo poo, does not make CIG good and Star Citizen possible.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Another national nightmare over.

But someone did invest $10 in CiG marketing.

If you're fascinated by the cess-pool that is international finance, this might tickle your fancy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-05-17/why-did-a-chinese-peroxide-company-pay-1-billion-for-a-talking-cat

Long story short, Chinese money is flooding into games companies as a way to diversify their cash holdings from a bottoming out industrial and building market.

quote:

Last year she oversaw Zhongji’s £315 million ($400 million) acquisition of Jagex Ltd., a U.K. studio that created the popular multiplayer fantasy game RuneScape. In 2016, the last year for which public filings are available, Jagex had sales of £74.4 million and after-tax profit of £28.8 million. “It’s a cash cow,” Pan says. Other deals are in the works. Her March visit to London is for negotiations with another game studio, which she won’t name.

quote:

There’s no small amount of financial engineering at play, say bankers and lawyers involved in the purchases. Chinese companies are betting that by adding game studios that have better margins than a stodgy industrial business, their stock price will rise. Regulators and investors in China focus almost exclusively on a company’s bottom line. In Shanghai, a company must show three years of profitable operations before listing. And once a stock is trading, it suffers if a company doesn’t have new sources of profit. With games, Butt says, “you can buy profit.”

Hobold posted:

Needs to come up with better names though.

WunhungLo

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 19, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Titanic posted:

Did you post your balls yet??
Please contain your obsession with propeller shaft bearings.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
can you purchase that new chariot with a CCU? theres 1.1 million unused CCU's that need to be spent soon or they disappear. And they were trying to implement that $5 upgrade fee just last week.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Nicholas posted:

can you purchase that new chariot with a CCU? theres 1.1 million unused CCU's that need to be spent soon or they disappear. And they were trying to implement that $5 upgrade fee just last week.

Not yet. That is a cash offering right now. It'll be available as an upgrade later, but likely for $15 more.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Can we talk about how you can play as a guinea pig in that one game like wtf?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Not yet. That is a cash offering right now. It'll be available as an upgrade later, but likely for $15 more.

I thought they said no more CCU on concept ships? That change already too?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

vyst posted:

Wait, seriously? :wtc:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

ManofManyAliases posted:

jesussss

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

I fully expect quite a few people will load up 3.0 and just sit there laughing at the screen while tears flow from their eyes

So do I

dumby
Oct 25, 2007

I hope Star Citizen goes free-to-play, can't wait to join up with a crew, fall asleep in one of their two beds, and never log in again

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
So it's Friday. I've got my pants off and Kleenex at the ready. What stupid mistake are we forcing CIG to produce today? We need something that will really piss in the face of everyone. Something that will have them waving hands for at least a day or two before finding a way to thank CIG for the golden shower they have blessed on us all.

Amazon taking over would be the best case. That would cause some Cirque du Soleil level of mental gymnastics.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bofast posted:

I was going to post that I expected you to come sailing in and confirming this, as well, but I had the sinking feeling that it was already too late.

I dare say that it looks like you've got both feet on the deck and are keenly aware of what's coming in the darkness! Good job, friend! :hfive:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Hobold posted:

I thought they said no more CCU on concept ships? That change already too?

"Zyloh | CIG@Zyloh-CIG
Yesterday at 12:28 pm

To ease concerns, we're not ending $0 CCUs. Specifically this change will eliminate $0 CCUs for a ship during its limited sale because we want limited ships to be limited. Having the ability to hold a free token to upgrade to a limited ship outside of its sale dates is not our goal. Some ships are limited for specific reasons, but generally speaking, when a ship becomes flyable, there will be a $0 CCU made available for the ability to swap to that ship, in the same way that $0 CCUs are still available right now for swapping between flyable ships."

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Homestead worked flawlessly during the presentation, apart from all the bugs and generally amateur shittyness style of it.

I'm as glad as Cymelion that we all have it so we can play it for ourselves...

...wait no, we don't, it was just more smoke and mirrors again.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

vyst posted:

Richard Gere feels grief as a random player does a colonoscopy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

what did you think i meant by face blasted? Watch your eye

As long as it's a small enough load we can swallow I'm good with it.

Keep up the good fight!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

"Zyloh | CIG@Zyloh-CIG
Yesterday at 12:28 pm

To ease concerns, we're not ending $0 CCUs. Specifically this change will eliminate $0 CCUs for a ship during its limited sale because we want limited ships to be limited. Having the ability to hold a free token to upgrade to a limited ship outside of its sale dates is not our goal. Some ships are limited for specific reasons, but generally speaking, when a ship becomes flyable, there will be a $0 CCU made available for the ability to swap to that ship, in the same way that $0 CCUs are still available right now for swapping between flyable ships."

This makes the IRS tax code look simple.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

What sample rate will the tears flow?

About 8.125% slower than they should.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Explain how a digital concept ship for a non-existant game can be "limited"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Nicholas posted:

It's easy, CIG just sells it for a limited time, then never sells it again until the next time they sell it

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ManofManyAliases posted:

lol

edit: thanks to whoever made my AV right again.

Looking good! :wink:

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nicholas posted:

Explain that dream where you are a naked anthropomorphic horse on a bus and aliens invade. Aliens that look like giant cats but are strangely generically Asian at the same time. But then you wake up and are just a chunk of moldy cheese on a disgusting poo poo taco. Oh, and you are covered in yogurt for whatever loving reason.

Once you can explain that you can start to imagine Chris's vision.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SelenicMartian posted:

Please contain your obsession with propeller shaft bearings.

Smooth, glistening and well oiled shafts propel me forwards. I can't help it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DarkRefreshment posted:

Explain that dream where you are a naked anthropomorphic horse on a bus and aliens invade. Aliens that look like giant cats but are strangely generically Asian at the same time. But then you wake up and are just a chunk of moldy cheese on a disgusting poo poo taco. Oh, and you are covered in yogurt for whatever loving reason.

Tuesday?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

But someone did invest $10 in CiG marketing.

If you're fascinated by the cess-pool that is international finance, this might tickle your fancy.

Float currency, dump it into areas (such as Vancouver) or create ghost towns. It's good to be king.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Smooth, glistening and well oiled shafts propel me forwards. I can't help it.

Sometimes, Ship, I feel like I need to pay by the minute for your hot maritime posts

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

DarkRefreshment posted:

You need to contextualize your message to get it across.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

vyst posted:

Every game nowadays needs to have some comic relief diminutive race (bonus points for being anthropomorphic), be it Gnomes and Dwarves, Moogles, Yordles, Chua, etc.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

You need to contextualize your message to get it across.

Look if that doesn't explain it all to you then I seriously question your faith in this project.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Hav posted:

Tuesday?

Correct... Your next step to understanding the vision is to gain a poo poo ton of weight and archive all of the irrelevant poo poo that CR has done over his short but amazing career as a game developer. BE WARNED THOUGH; this is the step that has trapped lesser men. :lesnick:

e: I mean lesser men purely in a fortitude standpoint not physical stature

ee: Cat and cheese taxxe living in harmony

DarkRefreshment fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 19, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

DarkRefreshment posted:

Look if that doesn't explain it all to you then I seriously question your faith in this project.

Okay, that made a bunch more sense.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

xiansi posted:

Risotto alla Milanese if you want to go all in on the saffron/rice goodness. Also requires decent parmesan cheese, so good luck with that if American.

I had bought the saffron originally for some really basic saffron rice. Having done that, I was looking for something different, but I really do want to learn to make a good risotto.

I'm going to do some practice risottos, then go with this one.

Nice avatar, Toast.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

With all the food talk I want to remind everyone to cook with care and love; handle food the way you would touch a woman. For risotto, patience and refrain are actual ingredients, the application of which will yield a magical result.

Hate boners and cooking don't mix.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Putting love into food is what gets you fired from McDonald's. :fap: :burger:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Same effect if you add an extra secret ingredient to the Colonels secret sauce at Kunty Fuct Chicken. :)

(Local KFC had to fire a bunch of staff for it :D )

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DarkRefreshment posted:

Sometimes, Ship, I feel like I need to pay by the minute for your hot maritime posts

:sureboat:

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Sunswipe posted:

Sabreseven posted:

Same effect if you add an extra secret ingredient to the Colonels secret sauce at Kunty Fuct Chicken. :)

(Local KFC had to fire a bunch of staff for it :D )
But what could taste better than some old-fashioned home cooking?

:nws:Natural Harvest: A Collection of Semen-Based Recipes:nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

Richard Gere feels grief as a random player does a colonoscopy.

would you just let the gerbil in through your c-hole? asking for a friend..