Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

quote:

Near Unna, one Jagdtiger climbed a hill to attack five American tanks 600 meters away; two withdrew and the other three opened fire. The Jagdtiger took several hits, but American projectiles could not penetrate the 250 mm (9.8 in) frontal armor. However, the inexperienced German commander lost his nerve and turned around instead of backing down, exposed the thinner side armor, which was eventually penetrated and all six crew members were lost. Carius wrote that it was useless when crews were not trained or experienced enough to have the thick frontal armor facing the enemy at all times.[11]

cool tidbit from the jagdtiger wikipedia article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Control Volume posted:

I love reading combat reports like that.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'm surprised they had Foch as a contributor at all. He's been making GBS threads on Wargaming harshly since pretty much always.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Guess you can only call money grubbing pricks, money grubbing pricks only so many times.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Pictured: AMX M4 in the water who thought he could just drive around me :lol:

oh and a bit behind me there's an FCM 50t that I pushed off the ledge and drove on top of

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Guess you can only call money grubbing pricks, money grubbing pricks only so many times.

Oh yeah they totally deserve to be poo poo on, it was just odd watching him call them complete idiots while playing a developer account.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Control Volume posted:

quote:

OttoCarius (NAZI) (Tiger II): Uninstall dumbkopf

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Why I need messaging to work:

Maybe they didn't like getting killed by my Douchebag wagon while doing no damage :smug:

Had a terrible night with bad ping and significant packet loss last night. Anyone else been getting borked?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ Yeah, but I'm never sure if it's my connection or theirs. Played fr about two hours this afternoon and the only time I hit bad ping was when I decided to break out the luchs

Also yeah, I love some of the up and coming losers. I watched my team die today at one point without killing a thing, half the team was 0 damage. I couldn't help but "Goddamn you guys suck!" as I was trying to take down a Leopard that had my S-51 cornered.
"At least their arty knows how to hit stuff fag"
After battle report, third in damage dealt firing 5 rounds (13somethingsomething). The guy that replied? Bottom of the list with 92. I'm not proud of my score, I got cut off and went toe to toe with that Leopard early on, but good god all mighty.

Control Volume posted:

This has always been my favorite

quote:

A KV-1 or KV-2 tank (accounts vary) advanced far behind the German lines after attacking a column of German trucks. The tank stopped on a road across soft ground and was engaged by four 50 mm anti-tank guns of the 6th Panzer Division anti-tank battalion. The tank was hit several times but fired back, disabling all four guns. A heavy 88 mm gun of the divisional anti-aircraft battalion was moved about 730 m (800 yd) behind the tank but was knocked out by the tank before it could score a hit. During the night, German combat engineers tried to destroy the tank with satchel charges but failed despite possibly damaging the tracks. Early on the morning of 25 June, German tanks fired on the KV from the woodland while an 88 mm gun fired at the tank from its rear. Of several shots fired, only two penetrated the tank; German infantry advanced and the KV opening machine-gun fire against them and the tank was knocked out by grenades thrown into the hatches. According to some accounts, the crew was buried by the German soldiers with full military honors; in other accounts, the crew escaped during the night.[17]

The 6th Panzer Division Kampfgruppe commander General Erhard Raus, described it as a KV-1, which was damaged by several 88 mm anti-tank shots fired from behind the vehicle, while it was distracted by Panzer 35(t) tanks from Panzer Battalion 65.[h] The KV-1 crew were killed by pioneer engineer unit who pushed grenades through two holes made by the gun while the turret began moving again, the other five or six shots having not fully penetrated. Apparently, the KV-1 crew had only been stunned by the shots which had entered the turret and were buried nearby with military honors by the German unit.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 19, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

I can't get past how dumb the Chrysler looks and that awful wargaming emblem. Is the 13 57 only come with those dumb league banners too?

Yeah all the GF tanks come with special paint jobs (and are ineligible for camo selections.) There are 3rd party skins for a lot of vehicles in Aslain's modpack though.

Control Volume posted:

So I guess pubbies aren't terribly incompetent after all, they're just trying to go full Nazi and emulate their Teutonic Aryan ubermenschen forefathers.

Or if that's not funny enough, something something "looks like Nazis were the pubbies of the 20th century." :colbert:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Control Volume posted:

That part is from Carius memoirs.
Pubbies existed in WW2.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

when you draft everyone over the age of 13 18 you get to enjoy all parts of the bell curve

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Washout posted:

Are targeting skin packs and stuff still kosher? What kind of mods are essential? Are there TRON skins for all tanks yet? Is it still ok to use a foliage remover?

I reinstalled a few days ago and would appreciate some recommendations too; haven't played since beta

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Prav posted:

when you draft everyone over the age of 13 18 you get to enjoy all parts of the bell curve

In my company we had two people who were not allowed to do the royal guard since they were completely unable to march in pace.
So yes, you do get the pleasure of that in conscription.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
WG is getting raked over the coals for this whole Foch censorship thing. Jim Sterling has a video up and will make another, which I understand is at least kind of a big deal.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Barry posted:

WG is getting raked over the coals for this whole Foch censorship thing. Jim Sterling has a video up and will make another, which I understand is at least kind of a big deal.

Whoa, I assumed he might take interest but this was fast. :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmvwiTs7Dvg

Wargaming, You Done hosed Up

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Total Biscuit tweeted about it, SidAlpha has a video...

Nothing better than a good internet gaming company fuckup pileon.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Here is another thing that happened:

Jingles's Facebook posted:

Circonflexes made an off the cuff comment during a livestream about a map he hates while driving the KV-122. He compared the map to something a crayon-eating kid might have sneezed out of his snotty nose onto a napkin that got picked up and used as a map design by Wargaming. The clip where he said this then made it onto YouTube. The problem is that the kid he suggested had done this was Victor Kislyi's son. He implied that the CEO of Wargamings' child was snot-nosed crayon eater. Unlike Fochs' video, this wasn't a premeditated attack on Wargaming, it was just a comment he made while frustrated during a livestream. Circon was also approached by Wargaming and *asked* to take the video down. He agreed to do so and has NOT had his Community Contributor status revoked.

:siren:THE CEO'S SON IS A MAP DESIGNER.:siren: This explains so much.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
loving of course. Also lol at censoring your community. loving god drat stupid skinner box game.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think I remember reading that comment was about Highway, which is makes it extra funny because that map is terrible and possibly could be better designed by a snot nosed kid.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Here's the chat transcript between Foch and WG http://imgur.com/a/RGPfh

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I don't know who is the biggest oval office in that exchange, Foch or WG

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Foxtrot_13 posted:

It can always be both.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Barry posted:

Here's the chat transcript between Foch and WG http://imgur.com/a/RGPfh

10/10

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Barry posted:

Haven't heard of him. Is he a big name in the wide world of game reviews or something?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That's kind of a shameful thing to be.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hremsfeld posted:

Haven't heard of him. Is he a big name in the wide world of game reviews or something?

I think so? Not really sure tbh.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Hremsfeld posted:

In the UK and Western Europe yes.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I mean yes Foch is an rear end. I do agree that he was kind of overdoing it. However, you never want to threaten people as it will make them less likely to come to an agreement. Seriously, Wargamings customer service relationship people are awful for a public facing company.

HFX fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 19, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hremsfeld posted:

He's the #1 Kissboy and Thank God for him, Jim Sterling.

His best work is taking hot shits on lovely developers who abuse copy right take downs and ironically, ethics in games journalism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHWXpGM7dqQ

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I sent a message to Jim Sterling and Sid Alpha with some information about the "community contributor" program, just so they can have a bit of a head start on information about how it all works.

Let's just say I can really only stand watching Claus, Lemming Rush and Anfield since the "community contributors" in EU started being so circlejerky. This really is about ethics in games journalism and I can say that without making little air quotes with my fingers.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Barry posted:

I think I remember reading that comment was about Highway, which is makes it extra funny because that map is terrible and possibly could be better designed by a snot nosed kid.

It used to be so much worse if you can believe that, southwest spawn had like a 10% chance to win assuming equal skill levels between the teams, and a huge draw rate because the only correct choice from the south was to camp. Even in randoms the north spawn had like a 62% chance to win, it was absurd.

e: oh also gently caress the Chrysler K GF, I'm going to hate playing tier 8 strongholds soon with those loving things running around.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 19, 2017

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Hey Hellsau who should I pick for fantasy tanks

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Barry posted:

Chrysler K GF

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Scissorfight.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
So not to detract from the copyright drama, but are the servers hosed for anyone else right now? Its drat near unplayable.

Edit: Lol at WG-NA being so incompetent that they didnt think a copyright strike threat would come back to bite them in the rear end. Who cares what a video-blogger has to say? Just loving ignore him. If you think "gently caress Wargaming" is bad, you should try watching some of the popular Russian WoT youtubers, the poo poo they say about WG makes what this guy said seem like a loving love letter. And what does WG-Prime do about them? gently caress all, and they still make money by the truckloads. But no, like Donald Trump assuring the nation on live television that he doesn't have a small dick, they just could't resist threatening this guy. Goddamn.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 19, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Barry posted:

Wait is there a fantasy tanks thing for the Grand Finals? Don't pick an NA team. Unless something's changed, the NA teams are going to get annihilated. My guess is you should focus on the best RU team, the second best RU team, and the best EU team, in that order.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/865663794768424961

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I hope that wasn't about the message I sent:(

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hellsau posted:

Wait is there a fantasy tanks thing for the Grand Finals? Don't pick an NA team. Unless something's changed, the NA teams are going to get annihilated. My guess is you should focus on the best RU team, the second best RU team, and the best EU team, in that order.

Yeah there is. https://fantasytanks.com/tournaments/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Just got an email from WG saying you get something just for playing, so it's probably worth picking a team. I honestly have no idea who to pick tho.

EDIT: I guess you can pick a new team every day. Regardless, I feel like I have to at least pick Straik and Vetro at the start since they're probably the best players I've ever watched. Doesn't mean that they will get to farm all the damage in competitive matches, but I feel like they must be decent bets.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 19, 2017