Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
is wifi used for anything other then DLC stuff, also lol glad the opening scene is what it is

I have no clue what the story of Gaiden is but it's cool to see Awakening just stole that from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Not that I'm complaining, but a Levin Sword in the first chapter? OK, game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

For those not in the know, the continent of Valentia that this game takes place in is known as Valm in Awakening and is where that game's second act takes place. :eng101:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Who did you give the +3 speed to?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

you can split it up, you know, you don't have to give all 3 speed bosts to one guy. also kliff is a good choice if you didn't make him a merc or cav

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tae posted:

I split mine between Kliff and Tobin. I forget who got how many.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

My Kliff got +3 speed via levels, so I felt like that was a waste.

I ended up giving it to Tobin because him only hitting once is really mediocre.

These weapon skills seem stupidly cheap for how powerful they are. Straight up +5 might and 10 hit for 1 HP? Why not.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh hey there's an other gender option for the profile card, that's nice

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Wait the fountains are 3 boosts apiece?

:negative:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Zore posted:

1-3. It'll tell you when you've exhausted them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

you can get three boosts from the fountains total, but it's shared between the two possible boosts.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

My 3 guy villagers are Mercs so I just gave Lukas, Faye, and Silque +1 each.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
woohoo faye leveled up, it's the first level up of the game i'm so excited

+1 def

well i guess the brigands won't hurt her as much, yay???

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

My Faye is currently a Nosferatu tank with the leather shield

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zore posted:

I have never felt a deeper connection with a post.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Lightning Sword :discourse:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh my god, leveling Clair up is so painful. She does like 1 damage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Oh my god, leveling Clair up is so painful. She does like 1 damage.

Yeah. She really needs the iron/steel lance because the back half of chapter 1 is like all mid/high def dudes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just realized that the reason some reviewers called this game grindy or that the villagers took forever to promote into real classes is that they were waiting until 20 to promote.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fire Emblem is kind of unintuitive in enough places that I wouldn't mind if the tutorial included advice in addition to instructions on how to play the game, and what level to promote at is definitely one of those things.

Alternatively, bring back FE9's promotion system, it was basically perfect

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I just met Clive and I already have a Knight, Sniper, and Myrmidon. If anything, it's too fast.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

blizzardvizard posted:

Lightning Sword :discourse:

I just got that. +15 to attack and it's 1-2 range?! Can you say "busted"?

I gave it to Alm. Seemed like a good idea.

Zore posted:

Yeah. She really needs the iron/steel lance because the back half of chapter 1 is like all mid/high def dudes.

Ah. I gave mine to Faye. I can pass it over to Clair. She needs levels.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I just got that. +15 to attack and it's 1-2 range?! Can you say "busted"?

I gave it to Alm. Seemed like a good idea.

Ah. I gave mine to Faye. I can pass it over to Clair. She needs levels.

Note the Levin sword is just 15 attack, it removes your strength from the equation.

Still ridiculous since it targets Res, but it stops one-rounding a lot of stuff late in Chapter 1.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pick whichever villager has the shittiest stats, promote them to mercenary, and give them the levin sword. They are now Good and will remain at least decent through most of the game even if all their levelups are crap forever

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

I just got this game and I was wondering: Is any of the paid DLC considered good/worth it?

Also, Villagers can promote at like 7 right? Are you supposed to basically instantly promote them at that point?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Booky posted:

I just got this game and I was wondering: Is any of the paid DLC considered good/worth it?

Also, Villagers can promote at like 7 right? Are you supposed to basically instantly promote them at that point?

No

Yes, and that doesn't apply just to villagers--promote everyone right away

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Cipher DLC could be good, but in general just wait for a sale.

These new deliverance guys kinda suck. I guess Python is okay if you never have a sniper?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Booky posted:

Villagers can promote at 3 and you absolutely should promote them ASAP so they stop being deadweight.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

The Cipher DLC could be good, but in general just wait for a sale.

These new deliverance guys kinda suck. I guess Python is okay if you never have a sniper?

The secret to archers is that despite having 1-5 range they still all kinda suck

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

I'm eyeing the Cipher DLC, tbh. :v:

And is the promote everyone instantly thing due to like low stat caps or something?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Booky posted:

And is the promote everyone instantly thing due to like low stat caps or something?

Promotion in Echoes/Gaiden is that units automatically get brought up to the base level I.E. if Lukas has 6 defense when he promotes to Knight, he automatically gets raised to the Knight's base defense which is higher.

The exception apparently is Alm/Celica.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Booky posted:

promoting only increases stats if they don't meet the base for the class, so waiting only means you're missing out on stat boosts if you go over said bases

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Booky posted:

They only get stat boosts if they're under the class' bases to bring them up to that. Also even if you promote everyone ASAP they almost definitely won't cap by endgame.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also Nosferatu seems really really busted, Faye is a lil' killer

Silque is a bit more eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh but she can still not die at least

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Booky posted:

There's two factors behind it.

One is that promotion bonuses work like they did back in the original Gaiden--they bump your stat up to a certain value (e.g. a villager promoting to mercenary will have their speed set to 10 if it's below 10) but have no effect if you're above that. In other words, the longer you wait, the worse the promotion bonuses get.

In addition, the exp formula is kind of weird and a level 1 promoted unit will gain more experience than a level 10 unpromoted unit (though not as much as a level 1 unpromoted unit). I don't really understand the details, but it's pretty noticeable.

You will never hit the level cap in normal play anyways so you don't really care about losing out on potential levels.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

also Nosferatu seems really really busted, Faye is a lil' killer

Silque is a bit more eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh but she can still not die at least

Wait until Faye gets +20 to hit from her Alm support.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ohhh, ok. Thanks for the help, everyone! :)

Also, when do non-Villagers get to promote? Does the game tell you?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The secret to archers is that despite having 1-5 range they still all kinda suck

Except for Leon, who is a perfect boy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Booky posted:

There'll be a little popup saying something like "X is ready to promote" when they hit the level requirement. In addition, in all menus there will be a little Mila statue icon next to their level if they can promote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Booky posted:

They still get the indicator just like villagers I.E. I got Tobin the "He is now ready to be a sniper!" message. Also there's a marker over their name or something as a constant reminder.

• Locked thread