Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

I, Lutfi al-Uthman, will remain with the Taifas! The Christians are puny before our might! France shall fall to the forces of Al-Andalus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I, Emir Shoota al-Boy, formally pledge my families allegiance to the Taifas.

My grandfather stood with them, while my father supported the Merchants. While I feel there is still much to be made of the unexplored, I feel that now is the right time to strike back against the northern infidels, and drive them from our lands! We defeated their Italy and proven ourselves able to equal them, now we must show ourselves to be superior!

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

I, Chatrapati, remain with the Ulama.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Staying with the Merchants.

Snipee posted:

Like hell we are going to accept the Christians. What have we fought all of our wars for? The Merchants are inevitably going to sacrifice our long-term stability and prosperity for short-term profits. We must convert all of our provinces before thinking about more colonial adventures!
What hypocrisy! Is there not a clear precedent in the Koran for the tolerance of peoples of the book? Did not the prophet himself allow for them to practice their own rites if they paid their taxes and not make war upon him? If we can encourage them to accept the Dhimmi contract, are not more likely to see the truth and accept it into their hearts?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Switching to the Ulama

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Excellent. With a militant Sultan bearing the light of Islam to the remaining Christian holdouts on the Peninsula, We don't need to waste time or actions telling him to do so. Indeed, the only thing that could hold us back is the threat of rebellion amongst newly conquered provinces: We need those armies on the front lines, not playing nursemaid to uppity dissidents. The only way we can take that scimitar of al-Damocles from above our head is by converting those provinces, and the only way we can do that is with an Ulema majority. Bear in mind the Ulema are fully open to aiding in war against those who resist Islam.

I stand with the Ulema, and call upon the Taifa to do the same so that we can support our Warrior Sultan by keeping him on the attack rather than fighting fires at home.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I, Samwyiyl al-Samivyr, remain with the Merchants!

The tea-trade rules everything around me.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 19, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Here's the tally, let me know if I missed someone:

17, Lord Cyrahzax, the JJ, Grizzwold, ThatBasqueGuy, Crazycryodude, RZApublican, catlord, Flavius Belisarius, everydayfalls, TildeATH, MuteAllison, Rodyle, Chief Savage Man, Captain Oblivious, Frionnel, Luhood, ShootaBoy.

10, Soup du Jour, Mountaineer, Snipee, Slaan, LordGugs, Duey, Ralepozozaxe, Chatrapati, sheep-dodger, AJ_Impy.

14, Archaeology Hat, Technowolf, WilliamAnderson, Merchants, Yessod, Bloody Pom, Dick Trauma, Talas, General Antares, Rubix Squid, Ikasuhito, Mikl, Yvonmukluk, Samovar.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
ive grown fat and rich on the teat of the merchants! But as ive grown older ive come to realize that gold is no substitute for god!

Switching to the Ulema!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Affi posted:

ive grown fat and rich on the teat of the merchants! But as ive grown older ive come to realize that gold is no substitute for god!

Switching to the Ulema!

You'll be donating using most of your gold for charity then? ;)

Staying in the Ulama

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I stand with the Merchants.

We must avoid ruinous and expensive wars with the european powers at all costs. Europe's time is past, we should invest all of our effort into exploiting the new lands that Allah has revealed to us.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

As-salamu alaykum, my fellow Ulama. The faithful al-Impy speaks true when he says we need not waste our time urging the new Sultan into conflict; he shall be more than happy to bring down the sword of Allah with his own hand. Instead we need turn our attention to converting those Portuguese that still hide from the divine radiance of Islam.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Hashim posted:

14, Archaeology Hat, Technowolf, WilliamAnderson, Merchants, Yessod, Bloody Pom, Dick Trauma, Talas, General Antares, Rubix Squid, Ikasuhito, Mikl, Yvonmukluk, Samovar.

Hey, think you copied part of my post rather than my user name. :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

switching back to the Taifas
We will have pretty borders.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Remaining with the merchants.

There will come a time when we need to convert those Christian provinces we've acquired, but for now the merchants are still doing good work.

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015

Staying with the ulema.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Switching to Merchants..

It looks like our new Sultan has military matters well in hand. We need cooler heads in the Majlis.

And it seems pretty obvious that we need to accept the dhimmi as a core culture. Tolerance Wolf Calligraphy will be revived!

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

I, Ali al-User, will be remaining with the Merchants

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Switching back to the Taifas

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you leave the merchants you don't get invited to the weekend poker game. Just putting that out there.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dick Trauma posted:

If you leave the merchants you don't get invited to the weekend poker game. Just putting that out there.

Careful with the gambling or the Ulama will put you in the Kaffir Faction.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Excellent. With a militant Sultan bearing the light of Islam to the remaining Christian holdouts on the Peninsula, We don't need to waste time or actions telling him to do so. Indeed, the only thing that could hold us back is the threat of rebellion amongst newly conquered provinces: We need those armies on the front lines, not playing nursemaid to uppity dissidents. The only way we can take that scimitar of al-Damocles from above our head is by converting those provinces, and the only way we can do that is with an Ulema majority. Bear in mind the Ulema are fully open to aiding in war against those who resist Islam.

I stand with the Ulema, and call upon the Taifa to do the same so that we can support our Warrior Sultan by keeping him on the attack rather than fighting fires at home.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Loyal to the Merchants!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Is it possible to soften up on some of the self-imposed restrictions if the numbers end up really close? For instance, if the Merchants lose to the Taifas by one or two votes, it seems harsh to prohibit colonization altogether versus reducing the amount of colonization. Likewise, it seems harsh to prohibit all Iberian expansionism if the Taifas lost to the Merchants by a few votes or to declare a total failure to convert Christian provinces if the Ulama lost by a minimal amount of votes.

Basically, I was hoping that the Majlis could adjust the government's behavior more on a continuous sliding scale and less on a series of discrete binary decisions that can come off as slightly schizophrenic to the history books (especially if the votes are close).

Snipee fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 19, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

That literally defeats the entire point of factions, which is to focus on a single thing at a time so that we don't blob out of control, but very few things are completely blocked off anyways. Even if the Merchants get in power again, for example, the Taifas can still submit policies to vassalize kingdoms, to force them to release other countries, to force-break alliances etc. Similarly, if the New Taifas gain a majority, then the Merchants will still be able to beef up the war fleet, fabricate trade conflicts, explore the New World and so on.

But I will revise restrictions a bit, to make it possible for the Merchants and Ulema to do worthwhile stuff whilst not in power.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

Gonna reiterate my support for the New Taifas!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I don't have EU4, so I have no idea how the game works tbh. Can we really blob that hard with France next to us? Anyways, I was proposing something in the event that the faction numbers end up super close because our previous two assembly compositions were not close at all.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

I remain with the League of Merchants I do wish to inform our king that a sailor's life is not full of niceties. And while I am fine with his expansionism, we must take care he does not go too far like his predecessor.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Snipee posted:

I don't have EU4, so I have no idea how the game works tbh. Can we really blob that hard with France next to us? Anyways, I was proposing something in the event that the faction numbers end up super close because our previous two assembly compositions were not close at all.

Yeah, it is a lot closer, so I'll try and work on something for that. From the next session onward, I figure the second-largest faction will have less restrictions than the smallest. So if the Ulema are the second-largest, for example, then they will be able to use their policy to convert one or two provinces. It won't be anywhere near as much as if they'd been the largest, but it's better than converting nothing, which is the case if they're the smallest.

As for France, it is a bit of a risky situation. Technically, if they get stuck in their war for long enough, they could stack war exhaustion to the point where they won't defend Castille if we attack, which would be the perfect opportunity to break alliances and take a couple provinces. Otherwise, the only thing we can really do is annex Galicia, who have no allies, or break the alliance with Aragon.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 19, 2017

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
Wait, colonization is off the table if the merchants lose their majority? That's bad, if we don't manage to claim the Caribbean before someone else, we're going to lose out on a gigantic source of trade income as it is basically the funnel that sends all the wealth in the Americas directly to Seville.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Bot 02 posted:

Wait, colonization is off the table if the merchants lose their majority? That's bad, if we don't manage to claim the Caribbean before someone else, we're going to lose out on a gigantic source of trade income as it is basically the funnel that sends all the wealth in the Americas directly to Seville.

Yeah, for the most part. The Taifas don't care much for trade, they want continental expansion.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Seems to me like we would be able to make a lot more progress if we didn't constantly spend thousands of Andalusi lives to protect a bunch of rebellious back-stabbing Sicilians.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

I remain with the League of Merchants

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hashim posted:

Yeah, it is a lot closer, so I'll try and work on something for that. From the next session onward, I figure the second-largest faction will have less restrictions than the smallest. So if the Ulema are the second-largest, for example, then they will be able to use their policy to convert one or two provinces. It won't be anywhere near as much as if they'd been the largest, but it's better than converting nothing, which is the case if they're the smallest.

Fantastic. This is even more than what I was hoping for because my thinking was that a more divided Majli should be forced to compromise more and be less singularly focused on the agenda of any single faction.

paragon1 posted:

Seems to me like we would be able to make a lot more progress if we didn't constantly spend thousands of Andalusi lives to protect a bunch of rebellious back-stabbing Sicilians.

It seems to me like you have the wrong notion of progress, my friend. We are the only Great Power to follow the light of Islam, and if we do not protect the Muslims in Italy, then who will?

Snipee fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 19, 2017

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Bot 02 posted:

This is exactly why I switched to the merchants. We need this.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Snipee posted:

It seems to me like you have the wrong notion of progress, my friend. We are the only Great Power to follow the light of Islam, and if we do not protect the Muslims in Italy, than who will?

A Jizrunidi Pope.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Tendronai joins the Merchants, the time has come to level our position and dominate the riches of the new world.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Third Meeting of the Majlis, cont'd.

20, Lord Cyrahzax, the JJ, Grizzwold, ThatBasqueGuy, Crazycryodude, RZApublican, catlord, Flavius Belisarius, everydayfalls, TildeATH, MuteAllison, Rodyle, Chief Savage Man, Captain Oblivious, Frionnel, Luhood, ShootaBoy, paragon1, Hitlers Gay Secret, punched my v-card at camp.

15, Soup du Jour, Mountaineer, Snipee, Slaan, LordGugs, Duey, Ralepozozaxe, Chatrapati, sheep-dodger, AJ_Impy, Affi, Agean90, Erwin the German, tunapirate, Sampatrick.

22, Archaeology Hat, Technowolf, WilliamAnderson, GunnerJ, Yessod, Bloody Pom, Dick Trauma, Talas, General Antares, Rubix Squid, Ikasuhito, Mikl, Yvonmukluk, Samovar, The Lone Badger, Bot 02, Viola the Mad, HailedUser, Lynneth, Dance Officer, Aeromancia, Tendronai.

By a very slim margin, the League of Merchants retain their position as the dominant faction.

---

For more information on policies, available buildings and diplomatic actions, click here.

Policy Restrictions

The League of Merchants can submit two policies, the New Taifas one, and the Ulema one.

The League of Merchants are the dominant faction, so they will have no restrictions to their policies.

The New Taifas are the second-largest faction, which means policies may not involve wars of conquest. Other casus bellis, such as wars of vassalization, releasing countries, or force-breaking alliances are all perfectly fine.

The Ulema are the smallest faction, so there can be no religious conversion of provinces.

---

Buildings

Regimental camps are now available. For more information on available buildings and their effects, click here.

---

State of Affairs

Government: Reformed Taifa System (power split between the Sultan and Majlis)
Ruling Faction: The League of Merchants
Permitted Factions: The New Taifas, the Ulema.
Rivals: France, Castille
Alliances: Morocco, Tunis, Palermo, Aragon.
Subjects: none
Other Pacts: none
Diplomatic slots: 4/4
Treasury: 80 gold (170 gold in debt)

---

With that, the floor is now open for policies.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Proposing the Caribbean D.R.E.A.M. Act - Focus on nabbing territory in the Caribbean with an initial goal of establishing at least one self-sufficient colony* there.

*Based on what WilliamAnderson said, this means a Colonial Nation. (Thanks!)

(No idea how this actually works in game, lemme know if this is nonsense or dumb game mechanics wise pls :v: )

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I propose that we Build Workshops in all provinces that will earn us 0.15 or more ducats per month.