Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

clamiam45 posted:

In the draft viewer? Actually if you told me that MTGO's core rules engine also somehow shares code with the draft viewer, I might believe you.

Doesn't MTGO pull its B&R list from Gatherer or some poo poo like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

InterrupterJones posted:

That's what I figured. With how quick it plays, DSJ seemed more like a burn deck than a zoo deck. I appreciate being able to be a bit more methodical about how I interact with dealing damage to my opponent and to myself.

It plays like an attrition deck that puts an incredible clock on the opponent, more or less. It doesn't play like burn or zoo much at all, and I've played both of those as well.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Hellsau posted:

Doesn't MTGO pull its B&R list from Gatherer or some poo poo like that?

I don't know but it sounds like just the perfect combination of weird, dumb, and barely believable, so I'm in.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Apparently there was a period when aether vial couldn't be banned from mirrodin block constructed on mtgo because they couldn't figure out how to add a card with an ash in its name to the banned list

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

having a master banned list so you don't have to update 50 different things makes a lot of sense to me honestly

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

cheetah7071 posted:

Apparently there was a period when aether vial couldn't be banned from mirrodin block constructed on mtgo because they couldn't figure out how to add a card with an ash in its name to the banned list

Every single decklist you'd try to import into MODO that had Ætherling just didn't work for the entire time it was in standard.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Elyv posted:

having a master banned list so you don't have to update 50 different things makes a lot of sense to me honestly

Yeah it's called gatherer :confused:

Edit: quoted the wrong post. I'm a doofus!

clamiam45 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 19, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Unless they fixed it recently you still can't search for Seance on MTGO because of the accent.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Blasting Station was also unsearchable for some time

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

myDad posted:

Blasting Station was also unsearchable for some time

Okay, I can understand Seance and Æther Vial, they each have characters you can't easily do with a keyboard (I presume that you can manually put in the accented e for Seance and it'd work)

What was wrong with Blasting Station?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

best modo bugs

#1 i couldnt watch replays for something like ten years
#2 back in the day no matter what piles you set for fact or fiction the person casting it got to pick between 5 cards and 0
#3 in mirrodin standard fatespinner put its ability on the stack like you would expect it to, but your opponent just couldn't do anything and they would time out.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Played paper magic for the first time in a decade today. Discovered two stores in my area that have free standard nights with prize support. Was told attendance was bad for a while but everyone was surprised at the crowd today.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
So I've been tinkering with a sort of hybrid between 80's Jim Hetfield and Saffron Olive's turbofog and started finding some success with the MTGO meta. It is hilarious how angry people get after 5 or 6 fogs.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ManMythLegend posted:

So I've been tinkering with a sort of hybrid between 80's Jim Hetfield and Saffron Olive's turbofog and started finding some success with the MTGO meta. It is hilarious how angry people get after 5 or 6 fogs.

It's really fun. I can't wait to poo poo on everyone tonight who'll be playing zombies.

What's your list look like?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

80s James Hetfield posted:

It's really fun. I can't wait to poo poo on everyone tonight who'll be playing zombies.

What's your list look like?

So I stole the Approach wincon from SO's version and so now my wincons are 1) Fevered Visions damage, 2) Approach, 3) Land beats. I just couldn't find a time where I wanted to go shields down to drop a Dynavolt Tower, and when I did have a tower down I just never generated enough energy to make it worth it so I cut it and really focused on card draw and cycling to try and make sure I could get the cards I need to play and protect a wincon.

I threw in As Foretold on a lark to see how it played, but I'm really happy with it as a one of. It only takes 2 turns before you can cast your fog for free each turn which really helps with being able keep drawing with Glimmer and Anticipate or even to play Approach as soon as possible and still be able to have a counterspell and fog available.

The sideboard is meh, but it's still a work in progress.

Deck: MML's TurboFog

//Main
4 Aether Hub
2 Anticipate
2 Approach of the Second Sun
1 As Foretold
2 Canopy Vista
2 Cast Out
2 Censor
2 Cinder Glade
4 Commencement of Festivities
2 Encircling Fissure
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Fevered Visions
1 Forest
2 Fumigate
4 Glimmer of Genius
4 Haze of Pollen
2 Highland Lake
1 Inspiring Vantage
2 Island
2 Lumbering Falls
2 Mountain
2 Negate
1 Plains
4 Repel the Abominable
1 Tranquil Expanse
1 Wildest Dreams

//Sideboard
2 Cast Out
1 Censor
2 Harnessed Lightning
2 Natural Obsolescence
2 Radiant Flames
2 Void Shatter
1 Wildest Dreams
2 Woodweaver's Puzzleknot

Display deck statistics

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I would throw 4 Negates in your SB. Once they see you have no creatures they'll side in cards like Lost Legacy or Transgress. Also, you'll want them for control matches since most UX control decks will take out creature removal and board in heavy counters

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I played two single MTGO games against a person whose deck was as simple as mine (summon creatures and fight with them) and won both!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

80s James Hetfield posted:

I would throw 4 Negates in your SB. Once they see you have no creatures they'll side in cards like Lost Legacy or Transgress. Also, you'll want them for control matches since most UX control decks will take out creature removal and board in heavy counters

That's a good call. Gonna do that tomorrow.

If you're planning on rolling with yours against the new mono B or WB Zombies decks that are floating around make sure you pack a couple of extra Fumigates. Those decks can get a lot of creatures on the board quickly and I've induced a number of rage quits after a massive board wipe following a few turns out fogging.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Where is a good spot to get German cards shipped to the US? I kinda need a playset of Harscher Mentors.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Cactrot posted:

Where is a good spot to get German cards shipped to the US? I kinda need a playset of Harscher Mentors.

Oohhh now I want them to file beside my Athreos, Gott der Überfahrt

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

DoctorOozy posted:

Oohhh now I want them to file beside my Athreos, Gott der Überfahrt

I managed to pick up a foil of this: a few years ago at gencon, I love me some german.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

best modo bugs

#1 i couldnt watch replays for something like ten years
#2 back in the day no matter what piles you set for fact or fiction the person casting it got to pick between 5 cards and 0
#3 in mirrodin standard fatespinner put its ability on the stack like you would expect it to, but your opponent just couldn't do anything and they would time out.

Innistrad Blazing Torch's damage ability couldn't target foil creatures, that was my personal favorite.

Also those occasional times when they hosed up the hashtable for all the rules text and flavor text strings or whatever, so Creeping Tar Pit had "From nothing came teeth" as its rules text

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I have an Ubermyr somewhere a friend got me. It's my fave. :3

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ManMythLegend posted:

Their anger is probably proportional to how angry you will get when someone randomly busts out Insult // Injury.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

ManMythLegend posted:

So I stole the Approach wincon from SO's version and so now my wincons are 1) Fevered Visions damage, 2) Approach, 3) Land beats. I just couldn't find a time where I wanted to go shields down to drop a Dynavolt Tower, and when I did have a tower down I just never generated enough energy to make it worth it so I cut it and really focused on card draw and cycling to try and make sure I could get the cards I need to play and protect a wincon.

I threw in As Foretold on a lark to see how it played, but I'm really happy with it as a one of. It only takes 2 turns before you can cast your fog for free each turn which really helps with being able keep drawing with Glimmer and Anticipate or even to play Approach as soon as possible and still be able to have a counterspell and fog available.

The sideboard is meh, but it's still a work in progress.

Deck: MML's TurboFog

//Main
4 Aether Hub
2 Anticipate
2 Approach of the Second Sun
1 As Foretold
2 Canopy Vista
2 Cast Out
2 Censor
2 Cinder Glade
4 Commencement of Festivities
2 Encircling Fissure
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Fevered Visions
1 Forest
2 Fumigate
4 Glimmer of Genius
4 Haze of Pollen
2 Highland Lake
1 Inspiring Vantage
2 Island
2 Lumbering Falls
2 Mountain
2 Negate
1 Plains
4 Repel the Abominable
1 Tranquil Expanse
1 Wildest Dreams

//Sideboard
2 Cast Out
1 Censor
2 Harnessed Lightning
2 Natural Obsolescence
2 Radiant Flames
2 Void Shatter
1 Wildest Dreams
2 Woodweaver's Puzzleknot

Display deck statistics

You need one, preferably two Commit // Memory in the 75. Commit is an unconditional counterspell that even works on can't be countered and on every single relevant threat that could accidentally hit the board, and Memory gets you all your fogs back and turns on Fevered Visions.

I suppose you may prefer Wildest Dreams, but the Commit side of the card is brutal, and that comes from someone who's faced it several times.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Tales of Woe posted:

Innistrad Blazing Torch's damage ability couldn't target foil creatures, that was my personal favorite.

Hah, this is great!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic0nI9nbUO4

Interesting video posted up by alpha investments. Most of these fake are bad, but some aren't actually that bad, and some are just plan perfect in a sleeve to play. The scary ones are the cards from new sets with the holostamp. These aren't mass produced obviously, but it goes to show you that people are putting in the time because it makes money.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Sickening posted:

Interesting video posted up by alpha investments. Most of these fake are bad, but some aren't actually that bad, and some are just plan perfect in a sleeve to play. The scary ones are the cards from new sets with the holostamp. These aren't mass produced obviously, but it goes to show you that people are putting in the time because it makes money.

Just confirms my desire to sell my dual lands sooner rather than later.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Sickening posted:

Just watched this, for me the holostamp makes it worse as it's pretty clear it doesn't have the plainswalker symbol on there but some of the other stuff, sleeved up would be undetectable.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
good

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Proxies ftw

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Uh excuse me, I think you mean counterfeits. Proxy cards are substitute cards created solely by judges in sanctioned tournaments. These substitutes are allowed when authorized game cards become unplayable during a sanctioned tournament because of damage or excessive wear. Unauthorized reproductions of Magic cards are a type of counterfeit, and we all want store owners to help in discouraging counterfeit Magic.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

clamiam45 posted:

Uh excuse me, I think you mean counterfeits. Proxy cards are substitute cards created solely by judges in sanctioned tournaments. These substitutes are allowed when authorized game cards become unplayable during a sanctioned tournament because of damage or excessive wear. Unauthorized reproductions of Magic cards are a type of counterfeit, and we all want store owners to help in discouraging counterfeit Magic.

We have to protect the IP at all costs.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I for one quite like Third Party MTG cards.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
U/R Emerge folk, how can Mardu beat you unplayable draws aside?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tales of Woe posted:

Also those occasional times when they hosed up the hashtable for all the rules text and flavor text strings or whatever, so Creeping Tar Pit had "From nothing came teeth" as its rules text

oh yeah, from nothing came teeth was a loving great bug i forgot about

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

DangerDongs posted:

My only real issues have been when I have a slower hand with no sweeper and they go early pressure (usually toolcraft) into into Gideon and then basically prevent me from killing Gideon. Even then I've won games.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

En Fuego posted:

I have an Ubermyr somewhere a friend got me. It's my fave. :3

oh i have a pile of señor myrs somewhere i should find those

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DangerDongs posted:

They mostly cannot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Their anger is probably proportional to how angry you will get when someone randomly busts out Insult // Injury.

It's happened a couple of times but luckily I've been able to counter it each time. I actually got a rage quit after a guy tapped out to cast it and I Censored him.

TheDemon posted:

You need one, preferably two Commit // Memory in the 75.

I might have to try it. I've been hesitant though because Commit is just really expensive for a counter and really just delays them casting whatever bomb they were trying to drop and it doesn't end up really delaying them that long if I have a Visions or two out.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 19, 2017