Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SkySteak posted:

Holy gently caress, it's probably the ISB Balance mod loving with things but Awakened Empire Titans are completely insane? They are about 19 of them make up for about 500k fleet power and they are utterly impossible to kill? Is it like this in vanilla or has a mod simply hosed things up?

Well, that mod's headline features include "buffed Fallen Empires and crisises", "buffed FE and crisis fleets", and "buffed FE ships", so I imagine that's probably intended behavior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SkySteak posted:

Holy gently caress, it's probably the ISB Balance mod loving with things but Awakened Empire Titans are completely insane? They are about 19 of them make up for about 500k fleet power and they are utterly impossible to kill? Is it like this in vanilla or has a mod simply hosed things up?

Sounds like that's the mod. I've never seen an AE build more than two titans.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I just got the spontaneous genetic engineering event and my guys just genetically engineered themselves into... the same guys as normal. Didn't even get a new name.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
As of last patch AE's are near impossible to beat.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fawakened-empire-working-as-intended.1022907%2F

Was playing a multiplayer with a buddy and we were trying to keep our fleets under 40k to not awaken them. Then we decided to attack one. We won that war, but one of the other two immediately awoke afterward and by the time we'd built a few battleships to replace what we'd lost (like seriously a year) we were facing a 300k AE fleet that we had no chance against.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
For the Pacifist Xenophobe faction, how do you satisfy the "Unwilling Resistance" modifier? The requirement says "taking up arms will displease them for a time", and I'm limiting my shipbuilding, not even taking them out to fight Amoebas and Drones. But decades pass and nothing seems to please them, and that modifier is enough to keep them unhappy and never generating influence. What gives?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Libluini posted:

Ha ha, really? That's even better, I guess my team of alien spiders investigating this machine hosed up like there's no tomorrow, considering they turned an entire planet into a deadly hellscape in under two months! :shepface:

I'm now imagining space spiders carefully studying a giant machine labeled Weiland-Yutani Terraforming Division: We Make You Breath Easier in strange, alien runes and then somehow activating it with devastating consequences

Oh, yeah, the one time I ran into that and went and did it because I've never run into it before and why not it up and turned the planet into a gaia world

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

YorexTheMad posted:

For the Pacifist Xenophobe faction, how do you satisfy the "Unwilling Resistance" modifier? The requirement says "taking up arms will displease them for a time", and I'm limiting my shipbuilding, not even taking them out to fight Amoebas and Drones. But decades pass and nothing seems to please them, and that modifier is enough to keep them unhappy and never generating influence. What gives?

Is it providing a malus or is it just a thing? Some of the entries are just YOU WILL REGRET THIS.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

pwnyXpress posted:

As of last patch AE's are near impossible to beat.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fawakened-empire-working-as-intended.1022907%2F

Was playing a multiplayer with a buddy and we were trying to keep our fleets under 40k to not awaken them. Then we decided to attack one. We won that war, but one of the other two immediately awoke afterward and by the time we'd built a few battleships to replace what we'd lost (like seriously a year) we were facing a 300k AE fleet that we had no chance against.

You need to contain them until your fleet is ready to beat them. They tend not to split their fleet, making it easy to take back worlds as soon as their fleet leaves the system. Do this until they're ready to white peace and you should be fine.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Shugojin posted:

Is it providing a malus or is it just a thing? Some of the entries are just YOU WILL REGRET THIS.

It's providing a 5% malus, which I can't figure out how to fix. It's especially annoying because that faction gets stuck at 55%, so that 5% is keeping me from Influence gain. The wiki doesn't mention the conditions for that particular agenda item, and I'm not involved in any wars, defensive or otherwise.

I'm building some ships just to discourage my hostile neighbors from eating me. If Unwilling Resistance means I'm not even supposed to build ships, I don't know how you can satisfy it if you have any remotely aggressive empires near you.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

It's providing a 5% malus, which I can't figure out how to fix. It's especially annoying because that faction gets stuck at 55%, so that 5% is keeping me from Influence gain. The wiki doesn't mention the conditions for that particular agenda item, and I'm not involved in any wars, defensive or otherwise.

I'm building some ships just to discourage my hostile neighbors from eating me. If Unwilling Resistance means I'm not even supposed to build ships, I don't know how you can satisfy it if you have any remotely aggressive empires near you.

I have the largest fleet in the galaxy and nearly every other civ has a massive "threat" opinion malus and no penalty from Unwilling Resistance on that faction so uh... one of us probably has a bug maybe?

e: Also a civilization called Galactic Synthetic Confederacy just appeared, got federation association from somebody, independence guaranteed by me, and then was immediately wiped out by ??? for ??? reason :iiam: I think it was a rebel state of someone but I'm not clear on why it just poofed with no ceremony

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 20, 2017

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Aethernet posted:

You need to contain them until your fleet is ready to beat them. They tend not to split their fleet, making it easy to take back worlds as soon as their fleet leaves the system. Do this until they're ready to white peace and you should be fine.

Do Awakened Empires build right back up from where they started from or is it the case that if you destroy their fleet they never quite get it back to the scale it was? I ask as I had to claim an AE's fleet in a supernova to destroy it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Aaaaand the AE has switched over to custodial over an imaginary crisis.

e: And another synth civilization just popped up and died immediately

what the gently caress is going on

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 20, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

YorexTheMad posted:

Have you been in a war recently? I know the regular pacifists stay mad at you for a while.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SkySteak posted:

Do Awakened Empires build right back up from where they started from or is it the case that if you destroy their fleet they never quite get it back to the scale it was? I ask as I had to claim an AE's fleet in a supernova to destroy it.

Unawakened Fallen Empires at peace get events to boost their fleets back to where they started.

Awakened Fallen Empires get a massive boost when they awaken but I believe it is one time.

Awakened Fallen Empires will try to build back up after defeat - and they have a fair amount of capacity normally - but my understanding is they have no special bonuses on top.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, that mod's headline features include "buffed Fallen Empires and crisises", "buffed FE and crisis fleets", and "buffed FE ships", so I imagine that's probably intended behavior?

Yeah, I had a Purifier race get ahold of the tech that mod adds and they just murdered everybody. I had to delete the mod.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ulmont posted:

Unawakened Fallen Empires at peace get events to boost their fleets back to where they started.

Awakened Fallen Empires get a massive boost when they awaken but I believe it is one time.

Awakened Fallen Empires will try to build back up after defeat - and they have a fair amount of capacity normally - but my understanding is they have no special bonuses on top.

Only Fallen Empires get event ships back, not Awakened. Any FE with less than 5k fleet power will have an event that spawns a pile of ships, but it explicitly calls out "is_country_type = fallen_empire", and there isn't an and clause for "is_country_type = awakened_empire".

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

PittTheElder posted:

Have you been in a war recently? I know the regular pacifists stay mad at you for a while.

It's happened in every game I've tried to run as a Pacifist Xenophobe; my current game I'm looking at a completely fresh start, maybe 30 years in, no wars and no combat outside of the required pirate attack in the early years.

Edit: I'm running vanilla 1.6.1 with Utopia, no mods.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

YorexTheMad posted:

Unwilling Resistance is one of the faction happiness modifiers that is only ever a penalty (that is, it either has 0 effect when you aren't at war, or -5 when you are, but never a plus).

In this case, "taking up arms" means being at war. Unwilling Resistance is only for defensive wars - offensive wars have a bigger penalty and it's called Unwilling Aggression - but the flags that trigger each of them are applied at the start of a war to everybody on the relevant side, and "a time" is twenty years. So go 20 years without getting wardecced and that modifier should clear and go back to 0.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 20, 2017

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Re: Awakened Empires. I really wish that their awakening was not a given at a certain fleet size. It is just so obviously gamey. I'd also like if there were a series of events that hinted they were waking up, instead of just being like "oh, whoops we flipped a switch and now we have an extra 100k fleet and want to murder everything".

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Dallan Invictus posted:

Unwilling Resistance is one of the faction happiness modifiers that is only ever a penalty. In this case, "taking up arms" means being at war. Unwilling Resistance is only for defensive wars - offensive wars have a bigger penalty and it's called Unwilling Aggression - but both of them are applied at the start of a war, and "a time" is twenty years. So go 20 years without getting wardecced and that modifier should clear.

I've literally never seen it be anything other than a 5% malus.

Here's a screenshot of an earlier game, where I have the Extended Peace bonus for the faction, which requires 25 years of no wars, yet Unwilling Resistance is still negative.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

If you are tanking with battleships, that fleet is extremely badly composed, extremely badly positioned, or 2/3 of the way through getting completely trashed in a fight.

Or alternatively you are utilizing the ability of the ships to sustain damage to deploy them to the extent of their survivability.

You can use the advantages of battleships to win fights including their ability to take a few hits.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mondian posted:

I'll agree that this is true of actual megastructures, but habitats can come much earlier than that if you're aiming for them. Hearing this sentiment frequently, however, I'm curious what size galaxy you typically play.

I just play on default settings

Shugojin posted:

e: Also a civilization called Galactic Synthetic Confederacy just appeared, got federation association from somebody, independence guaranteed by me, and then was immediately wiped out by ??? for ??? reason :iiam: I think it was a rebel state of someone but I'm not clear on why it just poofed with no ceremony

Those are probably conquered planets that are rebelling from their new rulers because of unrest. They form a new civ temporarily, then immediately merge back into the original nation they were conquered from after a day.

OwlFancier posted:

Or alternatively you are utilizing the ability of the ships to sustain damage to deploy them to the extent of their survivability.

You can use the advantages of battleships to win fights including their ability to take a few hits.

Cruisers are more efficient mineral-for-mineral at tanking, and there's no situation where battleships will move up front to take fire anyway. The only way you can reliably tank with battleships is in an all battleship fleet, and that will probably lose compared to a fleet of the same cost in minerals composed of literally any other ships.

Battleships are only efficient when they get to stand off from the fight and fire. That isn't compatible with tanking, because most ships in the game - including AI fleets made up of random poo poo - will rush them if they're not screened.

Don't get fooled by the sunk cost in researching and building battleships. They're just not very efficient.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 20, 2017

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

LogisticEarth posted:

Re: Awakened Empires. I really wish that their awakening was not a given at a certain fleet size. It is just so obviously gamey. I'd also like if there were a series of events that hinted they were waking up, instead of just being like "oh, whoops we flipped a switch and now we have an extra 100k fleet and want to murder everything".

Yeah, this is why I have no qualms about reloading an autosave if a nearby FE awakens. Easier to just go back in time, wardec them and keep them from that magic +100k fleet spawning.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

Don't get fooled by the sunk cost in researching and building battleships. They're just not very efficient.

I don't have any empirical evidence for this, but to me it feels like a good number of sniper battleships (gigacannons and kinetic artillery) in a fleet tend to make engagements against smaller fleets essentially attrition-free, which improves their efficiency. I tend to devote 1/3 or more of my fleet towards battleships, and I never feel the need to keep replenishing vettes or cruisers over the course of a war because they simply aren't dying.

Plus, towards late game it feels like efficiency doesn't really matter. I'd rather have tons of heavy hitters that are ready to gently caress up the inevitable Unbidden spawn rather than an endless amount of expendable cruisers that need constant reinforcement.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there an easy way to sort planets by science and check whether or not they have a scientist assisting research?

Right now I'm just using the "Planets and Sectors" menu and sorting by Output and trying to cherry-pick the high science ones, but then I have to look at the drat planet to see if there's a science ship orbiting it...

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
LP's delayed for a day. Sorry.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MadJackal posted:

it feels like a good number of sniper battleships (gigacannons and kinetic artillery) in a fleet tend to make engagements against smaller fleets essentially attrition-free

Plus, towards late game it feels like efficiency doesn't really matter.

artillery does decrease attrition, but destroyers do it more efficiently than battleships. if you don't care about efficiency, you've already won the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

I have constantly watched for a practical inflection point on this and it never happens. It always murders my mineral income, whether I'm playing tall or going for galaxy conquest.

ulmont posted:

Mining Guilds is +10% minerals. Environmentalist is -20% consumer goods. For Environmentalist to pull ahead your consumer goods needs would have to be 50% of your mineral usage. I've never come close to that.

Because I was too lazy to do any math, I switched back to Mining Guilds, and crippled my mineral income. The shots above are the day before and after dropping Mining Guilds and going back to Environmentalism. ~600 mineral/month difference, and all I'm running is Decent Living Standards. Granted I'm well into the post scarcity part of the game now, but it was true before as well; I suspect that prior to 1.6.1 people were underestimating how much they were paying for Consumer Goods, because sectors were paying them before their taxes were calculated.

Unrelated: there is a 20 year cooldown between government reforms? :psyboom:

LogisticEarth posted:

I think they have upped the limit for when awakenings happen. I almost never see them based on fleet size anymore, and instead one kicks off when somebody takes a planet from a different FE.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 20, 2017

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Never play with more than 1 FE in game and make your game more fun.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Honestly, I think the best way to handle awakened empires is to have it be a secret at first--even the event goes into detail about it. Have them actually DO the stuff that it talks about. Show, don't tell. Etc.

Only announce once they've actually done the building up.

Maybe have some work faster than others (ones triggered by FEs getting destroyed/war in heaven/crisis get bonuses to help them build faster) but still have to build

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

BenRGamer posted:

Honestly, I think the best way to handle awakened empires is to have it be a secret at first--even the event goes into detail about it. Have them actually DO the stuff that it talks about. Show, don't tell. Etc.

Only announce once they've actually done the building up.

Maybe have some work faster than others (ones triggered by FEs getting destroyed/war in heaven/crisis get bonuses to help them build faster) but still have to build

Maybe it could be similar to what Distant Worlds does - first you have the Ancient Guardians setting up somewhere without expanding, just one system with an overwhelming amount of ships and tech advantage over everyone else. They just warn all other empires of the incoming bad guys. Then the bad guys arrive (under the appearance of migrants), settle on a planet, then explode outwards and reveal themselves as the big bads. At which point, depending on your government form, you decide which side you're on (forgot if you can be neutral).

Or you could have it play out like Mass Effect, with the "good guys" being a dead race (the Precursors vs the Vultaum vs the Cybrex?) and the "bad guys" a currently dormant, cyclical threat to the entire galaxy.

In Stellaris terms, you could forego bad vs good guys and rather have materialist/spiritualist, or militarist/pacifist etc., and have the various stages be part of event chains with decisions to determine your preparedness and your side. Maybe you could have the "good" Fallen Empire vs Unbidden or Scourge as a possible outcome.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

artillery does decrease attrition, but destroyers do it more efficiently than battleships. if you don't care about efficiency, you've already won the game.

As has already been said, battleships are 5 artillery per 8 fleet power instead of 4 with a much higher ehp total in an artillery duel. If the fight is large enough where you need screening then either withdraw when they close or put your flak poo poo behind and it will auto engage when they close. Battleships suck in mixed fleets generally so don't do that when it matters.

With the new buttons it's easy to split a fleet into component parts when the default dumb behavior is insufficient.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

Because I was too lazy to do any math, I switched back to Mining Guilds, and crippled my mineral income.

Yeah, you're right - I did the test as well:

With both Mining Guilds and Ecologist (+3083.97):

With just Mining Guilds (+1886.88):

With just Ecologist (+2706.62):

And from each shot, but particularly the second, I see that consumer goods are over half of my mineral income.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So a question about Spiritualist Fallen Empires: Is it specifically the act of colonizing a holy world that will piss them off, or would enveloping a holy world in my borders by colonizing a neighboring system also piss them off?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

A holy world in your borders is fine. Just don't send a colony ship there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Filthy Monkey posted:

Perfect.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I have to admit, one thing I am finding tricky is that I often go for an early boom, colonising much as possible (usually going with Expansion for that sweet colony growth+core world bonuses). Thing is though, it's often extremely detrimental to my technology, even with multiple labs on the same planet. Is it just the case that a slower growth can be more beneficial in terms of keeping up a good economy?

Also is it better to research lower time techs vs longer ones or is that more of a context thing?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ulmont posted:

And from each shot, but particularly the second, I see that consumer goods are over half of my mineral income.
Keep in mind that because of additive bonuses, 10% probably isn't really 10%. If you've got an average 40% bonus without the guilds, which is quite achievable with processing plants, robots, tech, etc, then your guilds are really only increasing production by 7%.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SkySteak posted:

I have to admit, one thing I am finding tricky is that I often go for an early boom, colonising much as possible (usually going with Expansion for that sweet colony growth+core world bonuses). Thing is though, it's often extremely detrimental to my technology, even with multiple labs on the same planet. Is it just the case that a slower growth can be more beneficial in terms of keeping up a good economy?

Also is it better to research lower time techs vs longer ones or is that more of a context thing?

Because research offers pretty incremental benefits and there's a ton of stuff in the tech tree you can safety ignore, it's basically always better to just go wide. Minerals are king, and expansion gives you those; with minerals you can steal weapons techs from your enemies as well.

Keeping low cost techs around is useful because completing one of them reshuffles the tech deck. Know what techs you want, and use the low cost techs to make sure you can get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

As has already been said, battleships are 5 artillery per 8 fleet power instead of 4 with a much higher ehp total in an artillery duel.

Artillery duels are extremely rare (I've literally never seen one outside of crippled fleets fighting each other) and destroyers are cheaper mineral-per-mineral. I'm also reasonably sure that destroyers are cheaper for maintenance even when you're fairly significantly over your fleet cap.

Battleships still pay a shitload for tank they will never use until your fleet is hopelessly mangled or completely out of position, and in either situation you should be mashing emergency jump and regrouping.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Since 1.6, I don't think sectors colonize them any more, too.

SkySteak posted:

Teching up isn't a big deal in Stellaris. Early-game ships are good all game and you don't need tech to expand since there's no equivalent to the traditional Civ/MOO happiness penalties for expanding too far too fast. Tech makes your holdings more efficient, but that applies just as well to a wide empire as a tall one.

• Locked thread