Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I bet the kids know how to manipulate the encounter gauge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Aww yeah Valkyrie.

That class is the workhorse of the entire midgame. Combined with Sword Magic, it's got brutally efficient wave clear for normal enemies and is likely the first class that will hit the 9999 damage cap for bosses.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Aww yeah Valkyrie.

That class is the workhorse of the entire midgame. Combined with Sword Magic, it's got brutally efficient wave clear for normal enemies and is likely the first class that will hit the 9999 damage cap for bosses.
I never really used it much, and I have no idea why not. Maybe the BP costs put me off?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Same here. I wasn't a fan of it when I tried it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Valkyrie is pretty good at sustainably sweeping random encounters. One or two Crescent Moons from a Valkyrie wielding a spear (or a Ranger with the job command using a bow) is enough to put down soft enemies, and two or three people spamming it using BP will put an end to most combats before the enemy gets a turn. It's one of the best ways to keep up those delicious end-of-combat bonus chains with the early-game classes.

The class is somewhat lackluster in boss fights, IMO, but I'm comparing it to some of the classes we won't get until much later. It matches up fairly well against the DPR classes we have now when using a spear, though, IIRC.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...out of curiosity, is there a fashion craze in Florem that doesn't kill you?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I bet the shoes are fine!

...so girls can more easily walk towards their doom! :unsmigghh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Greyarc posted:

At times one must suffer to be fashionaaabluh.

Also, quoting that reminded me that when I set Edea's special attacks, I set her attack quote to "Mrgrgr!" and her healing quote to "Fashionaaabluh!".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

YggiDee posted:

I bet the shoes are fine!

...so girls can more easily walk towards their doom! :unsmigghh:
Are you kidding? I assume they have to wear some sort of torture device with nine-inch spike heels or something. Plenty of women willing to do that in real life, without cancer-causing hair dyes and addictive fairy hairpins or whatever. I'll bet corsets are also all the rage.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

So, new references!

We know they're the Venus sisters, Venus being the Roman goddess of women and love and all that. As for the first names...

Artemia the FurryRanger is kind of obvious if you're at all familiar with Greek mythology - her name is based on Artemis, goddess of hunting and a bunch of other stuff.
I'm honestly not sure what the deal is with the costume, unless it's a reference to wearing a wolf pelt on your head or something and it's just too small. Except it covers the older characters in the same way. :v:

Einheira wasn't quite as obvious to me, so I had to look it up. And then I was ashamed at myself, because I'm also quite fond of Norse mythology and I knew this one:

Final Fantasy Wiki posted:

Einheria's name may come from the "Einherjar".

Einherjar or einherjarium are those that have died in battle and are brought to Valhalla by valkyries. The einherjar prepare daily for the events of Ragnarök...
So it's a pretty drat close tie-in with the valkyrie class, though perhaps not quite thematically appropriate.

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 18, 2017

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Einheria's works pretty well if you consider her final line. Turns out asterisk aside, she wasn't the real valkyrie.

Also, the third sister may have been seen, but her role is still a spoiler, albeit one I've already let slide because I happened to be in a great mood the first time it was brought up.

On behalf of everyone reading along blind, folks, stay away from future events, period. We've been through a fair amount of plot already -- stick with that stuff. Keep in mind so far, nothing in this LP has burned me out so much as dealing with folks edging their toes into spoiler territory.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Let's Learn Jobs: Ranger

Today we're covering one of Bravely Default's most straightforward jobs, the damage-dealing Ranger.

Final Fantasy's Ranger job first appeared in FF3, and it (or the very similar Archer job) has been a mainstay ever since. Trademarks are a focus on accuracy, powerful but slow/expensive attacks, and specialty in using bows. Bravely Default's version has higher accuracy built in, and focuses on abilities which increase the damage of single-target attacks.

The Ranger icons follow the usual trend. Specialized headgear represents the Job while favored weapon represents the Job Command.

Decent strength, agility, and dexterity make this an okay but not great damage-output job. Poor intellect and mind mean they're a bad choice for both damage and healing magic, as well.

On the plus side, bows are a powerful weapon type, giving Rangers a leg up when it comes to pure damage for sections of the game.

Blue are support abilities, red are skill abilities.

Level 1 - Targeting: Attack dealing 1.25 damage. (12 MP)
Level 2 - Bug Slayer: Attack dealing 1.5 damage to bug family monsters. (8 MP)
Level 3 - Plant Slayer: Attack dealing 1.5 damage to plant family monsters. (8 MP)
Level 4 - Beast Slayer: Attack dealing 1.5 damage to beast family monsters. (8 MP)
Level 5 - Paralyze Immunity (Cost: 1)
Level 6 - Aerial Slayer: Attack dealing 1.5 damage to aerial family monsters. (8 MP)
Level 7 - Aquatic Slayer: Attack dealing 1.5 damage to aquatic family monsters. (8 MP)
Level 8 - Bow Lore: Allows other jobs to have S-proficiency with bows. (Cost: 1)
Level 9 - Dragon Slayer: Attack dealing 1.5 damage to dragonkind family monsters. (8 MP)
Level 10 - Undead Slayer: Attack dealing 1.5 damage to undead family monsters. (8 MP)
Level 11 - Demon Slayer: Attack dealing 1.5 damage to demonkind family monsters. (8 MP)
Level 12 - Hawkeye: Allows other jobs to equip the Ranger specialty. (Cost: 1)
Level 13 - Precision: Damage increases by 3% for each conventional attack that hits. (Cost: 2)
Level 14 - Multiburst: Attack 4 times for 0.6 damage on random targets. (1 BP)

While Rangers have bonuses against most enemy families, there is no Humanoid Slayer, meaning the Eternians have less to fear from this job. Rangers are a key part of a viable end-game strategy, where Precision and Hawkeye are combined with some damage-dealing jobs we have yet to obtain.

Raises accuracy by 100%. A good ability for certain fights or job builds dependent on complete accuracy.

Truly, an outfit that exemplifies the wildness of nature. Capturing the essence of a feral heart, with Ranger the party can share their inner floof with the world. The men channel the ferocity of wolves while the women take on the pantslessness of neon bunny barmaids spirit of the agile hare.

These outfits, aside from making Luxendarc's animal rights activists cry, could be far worse than they are. Fur-lined jackets have a large circular metal accessory, combined with leather leggings/boots for the gents and leather ankle bracelets for the ladies. Notably, while the women have one standard tail, the men have a secondary tail appendage at the back of the head and another at the front. Further interpretation is left open to the viewer.

A closer look reveals unexpected practicality to the costume: the tails are hollow and double as quivers.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 18, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They cutest detail about Ranger outfits is that their tails serve as the quiver for the arrows.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Pureauthor posted:

They cutest detail about Ranger outfits is that their tails serve as the quiver for the arrows.

Wait, wh--

....Wow, that's a good catch. Gimme a minute and I'll add that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Pureauthor posted:

:psyboom: I never noticed that before. That's actually a pretty neat detail!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's been a few years, but I remember the Ranger being a prime choice for physical attacks at this point in the game. Your accuracy is kinda crap at lower levels so Hawkeye pumps up your damage a lot, and bows are heckin' nasty this early on. Other than the Valkyrie I don't think you have any heavy hitters yet, Knights are a defensive class and generally you want a Spell Fencer for the skills instead of the stats. But now I'm trying to remember why I never used the Valkyrie? I think at the time I didn't like spending BP for attacks?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I don't think I noticed that before until about halfway through the game. It's a really subtle detail.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The ranger headgear makes all the dramatic scenes in the game look silly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That seems to be a recurring theme.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ultrafilter posted:

That seems to be a recurring theme.

If jobs didn't make you look silly now and again they wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Between this game, Final Fantasy III, and Final Fantasy V, I realized that I absolutely loved the Ranger class and try to use it far, far longer than I really should. I use it deep into the late game in all three of those.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
From now on, pretend every stat I don't mention is a 0%.

STR: 20%
INT: -20%
MND: -20%
DEX: 20%
AGI: 20%

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

YggiDee posted:

But now I'm trying to remember why I never used the Valkyrie? I think at the time I didn't like spending BP for attacks?

That could easily be the case. It's almost guaranteed to be the player's first job that uses more than 1 BP per attack.

Also, I know I'm not a super-talkative person, so just to let you guys know I've been enjoying a lot of the discussion so far. Plus stuff like that Victor/Victoria movie connection. :allears:

I've been kicking around ideas for future audience participation, but it's a matter of finding something my posting buffer can work comfortably with. Anyway, next update will be coming shortly.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 37: Dark and Grim

Those darned kids sure have given the party a workout, but finally, we've caught up.

It's a Florie!

There are a whole bunch!

They look like kind of like Airy. Darn, maybe Airy could've tricked the kids into going back home. Ah well, they made it here alright as it is.

As everyone watches the Flories, there's a far off sound of magic being cast.

The next moment:

Ah...ahh... Aaah!

The camera pans up.

Meet the last of the three Venus sisters.

Hope she doesn't mind us coming to her wearing Einheria and Artemia's asterisk clothes.

Like Artemia, her voice and attitude indicate she is not entirely sane.

Einheria and Artemia are dead, Mephilia. ...I'm sorry.

The way Edea's spoken to both Mephilia and Artemia implies they weren't insane last time she saw them.

I've never seen so dirty a hypocrite... My sister loved you. Oh, but I'm not blaming you. This is far better than the way you used to be.

It's so hideous. So deliciously twisted... I feel nauseous just speaking to you.

What are you doing here?

I'd think Airy would have some words to say about that. Alternatively, maybe that's why she's currently hiding behind Agnès...

Hmm, how many has it been? I was counting. But then...I stopped counting. Heh heh...ha ha ha!

Stop it! That's mean! You can't!

Are you giving me an order? Only my sister gives orders... Only she...

These fairies are incredibly important to Florem's people. How can you do this?

Why are you sad, child? The thing you seek is right here... Take their wings.

What...?

Oh, yes. That's what the hairpins are made of... The beautiful wings of the beautiful little fairies you worship.

Edea pushes the kids away from Mephilia.

For a brief moment, the wings glow. And then, never again. They cloud over... Sullied forever... I can think of nothing so beautiful. It's quite...addictive. Ah ha ha...ha ha!

Then it's your poaching that's behind this. All for what, money!?

Ah ha ha... You've always been this way. Full of platitudes... Happy lies... Always so pretty... So pretty you reek of rot and decay. Keep away, Edea...

All humankind is dirty... A fine pack of filthy pigs. There is no real beauty, save my sister... All but her are tainted. Impure! Have a look there. Those innocent girls...

No, you! You already took two more than me!

Stop it, you two!

Just as with the hair dye, there's something more going on here than meets the eye.

A silly question. Playing with their love. Corrupting it... Mmm, it feels wonderful... Look at the little creatures. This is their true form...

Their desire to shroud themselves in beauty only reveals the ugliness inside. And whence that desire? The very object of it. Ah ha ha... It's the wings.

The spirits' wings secrete a curious substance. Invisible to the eye, but to the nose... Mmm!

Those girls' fight won't end until one lies bleeding...

That's monstrous!

That girl with you, Edea... That is the wind vestal, is it not?

What will it look like, I wonder. The moment all the little platitudes that hold you lot together start to...crumble.

This fight is a bit different from the other two sisters.

Mephilia's attacks lack something of a punch.

So, what's her job?

Summoner.

The name Girtablulu appears to be a misspelling (wiki reference here) referring to creatures from Mesopotamian myth which were part man, part scorpion, and guarded the doorway to the land of darkness. Fun!

If you're unprepared, this can come as a deadly surprise.

Any allies she summons need to be taken out immediately, before they do irritating things like confuse your party members.

Agnès demonstrates.

She redeems herself by striking the last blow and taking care of her own healing simultaneously.

Edea learned Judgement. She's a natural.

Now we, too, can summon surreal hell beasts.

Agnès's steal this time is a handy upgrade for offensive spellcasters.

Hard to believe these sisters chose to expose themselves to such mind-altering materials. Did Einheria really set them up to this?

Good... Knowing that I've sullied you is...enough... ...But now I've seen something more beautiful even than...my sister... What are you?

Uh, me?

Inside you... I see it... It's there...

I'm sure that will never come up again.

What do you suppose she was trying to say?

We'll be taking a look at these next time. For now, there are more pressing matters.

Were they knocked out?

The party returns to Florem.

I shall do everything in my power to spread word of the hairpin's dangers. To atone... I am sorry to have foisted this cruel task on you. Forgive me...

To recap, the party was told to find and rescue two young sisters. After a couple cute scenes ending with the kids running off, and an encounter with a boss, we discover that the sisters have killed each other with their bare hands under the effects of a psychotropic drug.

When a game opens with the chapter title "Precipice of Despair", consider it a warning that things are only going to go downhill from there.

Next: Taking a break from our descent with Summoning 101.

--

Event Viewer
Sub-Scenario:
All the Little Flories
How to Make a Hairpin - D
Sisterly Strife
Summoner Mephilia
Mephilia's Ecstasy

D's Journal: Mephilia the Summoner posted:

pg.2: A twenty-four-year-old woman from Eternia. Her name is Mephilia Venus, and she holds the summoner asterisk. Her mind is broken, and she delights in seeing the destruction of beauty.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: Naive idealism

pg.3: We encountered Mephilia deep within the gardens to the west of Florem. She seems to know Edea, but the conversation went nowhere. Apparently she wasn't always like this. After defeating her in battle, she made a curious remark about seeing another soul within Tiz, then she slipped away.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 20, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So yeah, this sidequest is hosed up.

Also, I'm surprised Airy had nothing to contribute to the scene of the fairies being killed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

...Drakengard?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

For a game with such a cutesy artstyle, it has a lot of super dark moments. And super creepy moments.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So yeah, this sidequest is hosed up.

Also, I'm surprised Airy had nothing to contribute to the scene of the fairies being killed.

Those are Florem fairies, Cryst fairies are completely different and indifferent to their flower-sniffing cousins

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
No see, these are Flories. Completely different thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Should note that Mephilla decorated herself with the wings.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I'll never understand people disliking this chapter. How can you see this sidequest and not think it's brilliant writing?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

But nobody said they disliked it?

It is really creepy and has some really uncomfortable scenes though.

The flaming lip
Oct 1, 2005
Likes shitty music
I've been reading along since the beginning and I just wanted to let you know that I love this LP. Keep it up!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Huh. That's certainly a thing.

I bet Tiz isn't going to be happy at the answer to his question.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Patter Song posted:

I'll never understand people disliking this chapter. How can you see this sidequest and not think it's brilliant writing?

Personal taste. It's my least favorite chapter in the game.

The flaming lip posted:

I've been reading along since the beginning and I just wanted to let you know that I love this LP. Keep it up!

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it. :)

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Greyarc posted:

To recap, the party was told to find and rescue two young sisters. After a couple cute scenes ending with the kids running off, and an encounter with a boss, we discover that the sisters have killed each other with their bare hands under the effects of a psychotropic drug.
Talk about a bad trip.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'll be worried if all the summon job costumes have fairy wings on them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Karen Strassman delivers a fantastically unhinged performance as Mephilia.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Glazius posted:

I'll be worried if all the summon job costumes have fairy wings on them.

"Huh, that's weird, why do our characters starting to sound like they're going insane?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Ah yes, I remember this sidequest. It was kind of like a punch in the gut when I got to the end of it and saw the conclusion...

I do think that it was pretty well written though.