Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Sindai posted:

I was very surprised to see it would cost me $200 to unlock every hero I don't already have. I would have paid without a second thought if it only cost as much as a video game normally does. :shrug:

Or you can just play the game and unlock them all eventually for free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Or you can just pay the game and unlock them all eventually for free?

chumbler posted:

Don't defend all heroes not being free.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Actually all the heroes not being free owns because I have every single one now and I can lord over all of the suckers and peons with my complete collection.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

But they are free, because your time is worthless

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I logged in for the first time in years at the 2.0 release and they gifted me a 30-day stimpack. 25 days later and I've got 23 days remaining. I'd say that stimpack rewards in loot chests are fairly common.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Alarak went from my least favorite assassin to my favorite assassin thanks to the rework. actually legit impressed with Blizz

had a fun game where this happened

https://gfycat.com/SomeOccasionalCrane

I had 199% sadism when the game ended

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

"It was at that moment, that Raumsog knew, he hosed up"

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

"It was at that moment, that Raumsog knew, he hosed up"

I'd say it was the Auriel who hosed up, honestly. Which is part of why I get so grumpy about Auriel's heroics. They're amazing if used perfectly, anywhere from useless to actively team-screwing the rest of the time.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Does the "reroll logic" in the OP apply even to a brand new player who just had the megabundle? So I shouldn't open any common chest without being able to afford a reroll?

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Tender Bender posted:

Does the "reroll logic" in the OP apply even to a brand new player who just had the megabundle? So I shouldn't open any common chest without being able to afford a reroll?

You can just buy all the guys you don't have with your limited gold instead of spending your nigh infinite gold rolling dice to get the single new one you don't have.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I had a game as Zul'jin the other day with an Auriel who kept using Crystal Aegis on me as soon as I hit Taz'dingo :negative:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

The Shortest Path posted:

Here's a hot tip: If you're in a premade with four other people and all of you are in Discord, actually use it to communicate with each other instead of spam pinging and hoping anyone understands you!

If you can't handle me at my ABATHUR WARNS THIS AREA IS DANGEROUS ABATHUR WANTS TO KILL BOSS ABATHUR WANTS TO KILL BRIGHTWING ABATHUR WANTS TO KILL BOSS then you don't deserve me at my Discordest.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Don't mind The Shortest Path and his anti-ping raging.

His inability to comprehend retreat pings when overextended, defend pings when mercs were pushing our towers, and How About We loving Show Up At The Objective? pings is completely reasonable.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Hell yes just pulled D.Va from a normal crate

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Ever since the D.V patch I've been having bad FPS hiccups. I've literally ran the gambit of the usual cures, completely fresh reinstall, clean driver updates, disable any background processes, blow job and a wax shine, and nothing seems to fix it.

Any goons have an issue post patch? It happens even just chilling in the character lobby, let alone in a game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

chumbler posted:

Don't defend all heroes not being free.

I am curious what the alternative would be for you? Blizzard doesn't need to do the 30$ all heroes in perpetuity model that Atlas Reactor and Smite has in order to get people to play it, and HotS has more characters than I think most people would ever get good with.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The alternative is all heroes being free. Whether any individual player can get good with or even like to play all of them is completely irrelevant.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

chumbler posted:

The alternative is all heroes being free. Whether any individual player can get good with or even like to play all of them is completely irrelevant.

No I mean what is your alternative monetization method?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm going to guess the same one, but heroes are free.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

That's not the same though, at all

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

signalnoise posted:

I am curious what the alternative would be for you?

I mean Overwatch came out after HotS but it's not like Blizzard isn't aware of the "sell the game at a base cost of X, all characters are free, make money on lootboxes/cosmetics" model. Other games were doing that before either Blizzard game, some of which were even f2p.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I mean Overwatch came out after HotS but it's not like Blizzard isn't aware of the "sell the game at a base cost of X, all characters are free, make money on lootboxes/cosmetics" model. Other games were doing that before either Blizzard game, some of which were even f2p.

Sure, but Overwatch also has a much much larger audience

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

signalnoise posted:

That's not the same though, at all

Have you ever downloaded dota 2?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

signalnoise posted:

It's entirely possible HotS would have a bigger audience as well if hadn't been the MOBA where you got nickled and dimed on both heroes and cosmetics for two years.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

signalnoise posted:

what's their alternate monetization for not charging for heroes and maps

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Abroham Lincoln posted:

You have to actually buy the game. HotS is free.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
What is the ideal build for Greymane? He seems cool and good, but the builds online seem all over the place and contradictory.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Chaitai posted:

What is the ideal build for Greymane? He seems cool and good, but the builds online seem all over the place and contradictory.

I think the current in build is cocktail talents at 1/4/7, whichever ult works better against the enemy team at 10, Running Wild at 13, personal taste at 16, and human attacks at 20.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dota 2 has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that you can completely monetize a f2p game with hats alone, so there is literally no justification anymore for having to buy heroes at all.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
[A system that works literally only in one environment can make their game fully f2p because of creepy dota whales]

bli$$ard is money grubbing assholes

Like, don't get it twisted, they are, but you're conflating the issues.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
DOTA 2 is not exactly a casual MOBA guys, the fact that it does so well while having all of their heroes free absolutely makes it reasonable to compare to a game that has huge hordes of Blizzard fanboys willing to buy skins out the wazoo in it

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

DOTA 2 enjoys the benefit of being a first mover in the genre; it can get away with dumb practices.

No matter what you think of HOTS game designers, you can bet they didn't skimp on monetization analysts. Trust.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Have you ever downloaded dota 2?

Yes. DOTA 2 had a built-in player base when it was launched, and it is a huge esports game. Because of its departure in design, HOTS is seen as a loser game for babies by many many people. In 2016, the prize pool for the biggest HOTS tournament was 1/20 of what the prize pool for the DOTA 2 international was. This draws numbers, so there are a lot more people to fleece for cosmetics. HOTS will not overtake DOTA2 in numbers just by making the heroes free, and I believe it is a calculated decision by Blizzard to maximize their revenue stream.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Console sales

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
DOTA 2 also has Steam backing it, so it has a much larger platform for free advertising and Valve can much more comfortably throw money into a DOTA pit without it affecting the bottom line too much. Even at its peak, WoW only had a fraction of the users Steam does and WoW hasn't been at its peak for a while.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Blizzard didn't really need to make a new game in order to cash in on cosmetics, they probably could have done that in their already existing games. Their goal is more like, make Dota for Babies: Blizzard Edition to try to cash in on f2p whales and sweet esports money.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

:discourse:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Why does a team of 5 get to go against a 3-1-1? Who thinks this is actually a good idea?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Because the alternative is a longer queue time and despite what people say, they actually won't keep playing a game with longass queue times.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

Because the alternative is a longer queue time and despite what people say, they actually won't keep playing a game with longass queue times.

I enjoyed having a better MM experience with longer queues about 5 months ago. Games were much more competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Keep in mind DOTA2 was also intended to get people to install Steam; Valve would probably be the black with it even if the game itself weren't monetized at all.