Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

also sale on the most popular mechs from the last CW event. GOod chance to pick up some random popular poo poo if you odn't own it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I call my X2 Little Bastard. Legitimately the meanest brawling mech I own.

e: legit, there isn't one I would say don't get. gently caress around with builds on mechlab and find something that makes you go "huh. I can do that? On a medium?" And take that one.
Also, fear not XLs. Very friendly.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 19, 2017

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Sale just went up. Most popular mechs during the Turkeyyid event get 35% off. https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/05/1827-tukayyid-salvage-sale

Hero mechs that made it into this are the Pirates Bane for 975MC and the Black Widow for 3412MC. Battlemaster 1G and 2C are on sale, it seems like a good time to get one.

Somehow the Nightgyr and Mad-IIC didn't make it onto the list on the Clan side. I have no idea how, they were ubiquitous.

Is the Pirates Bane worth getting or should I save onto my precious mcs?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Saddest Robot posted:

Is the Pirates Bane worth getting or should I save onto my precious mcs?

I wouldn't get one now with the way the changes have ocme down. Everything is in flux and frankly lights kind of got hosed.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Any particular standouts? Especially now that quirks are stripped so the IS variants of things like the Battlemaster don't matter much anymore.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm thinking of grabbing the Hunchback IIC Missile variant, the Nova S, the dual AMS Battlemaster but I can't decide which Thunderbolt to get between the 5SS and the 9SE.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So is there a fancy list anywhere that shows what the accel/decel is for mechs?

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Trip report, it was everything I expected and more.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

What is it about this update that has everyone putting LRMs on? I'm glad I got an ECM mech recently.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MuffinsAndPie posted:

What is it about this update that has everyone putting LRMs on? I'm glad I got an ECM mech recently.

1) ECM was nerfed in a big way. It's now nigh worthless if you don't get both of the ECM nodes in the skill tree

2) the missile specific nodes make them shred internals now, it's a significant buff for both SRMs and LRMs

3) hardly anyone is running radar derp because of the skill tree

4) they hosed up and had a bug that was hot patched yesterday where ECM didn't slow down target locks at all.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Welp with the help of Beefy I skilled out a few mechs. Played a few games.

Game is still poo poo and not fun.

Maybe next patch.

:pgi:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Patched and logged in to check out the skill tree, and...what? Is there a guide to this somewhere? It seems very easy to just toss away SP on hot garbage nodes. If I were a new player and saw this, I'd just exit and uninstall immediately.

I just want to missile things with my HBK-4SP, dammit.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Devorum posted:

It seems very easy to just toss away SP on hot garbage nodes.

If you're a newbie, sure. If you played the game pre-patch, you shouldn't have any trouble reading the trees - the old poo poo-tier modules for the most part became the new poo poo-tier nodes. So same as before - don't buy Hill Climb or Improved Gyros, don't buy cooldown for laser boats, and so on.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Q_res posted:

I'm thinking of grabbing the Hunchback IIC Missile variant, the Nova S, the dual AMS Battlemaster but I can't decide which Thunderbolt to get between the 5SS and the 9SE.

Assuming thunderbolts made it through unscathed, the 9SE is the 3LPL one I think? I recommend it, you get to do the twist and hit fairly hard at mid range.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

New event is up. It mostly amounts to "play the game", which is nice.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
This event is seriously easy. It's almost like they are trying to entice folks to play their game again after an intimidating skill system revamp.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
They're making up for all the trouble we have to go through.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

They're making up for all the trouble we have to go through.

Sometimes just playing the game is too much trouble.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Pirate's Bane still pretty good despite engine decoupling (Check that Ultra Violet Dire Wolf's damage also. He was 100% fresh until the very end when I cored his back and got him).

Put a lot into movement. Hard brake, kinetic burst, anchor turn, and torso twist speed are extremely important. Speed Tweak is nice, but you don't need it so much these days. Try to get some of the laser duration nodes as well, since the PB with small pulses can absolutely eat assaults with almost no repercussion now. If you do small pulse with 1 machine gun and half a ton of ammo, an extra magazine node isn't the worst to hit, but cool down and the laser nodes are far more important. Like before, isolation of mechs and map flow knowledge are important, but you have to be mindful you can't juke the way the PB used too. Getting other mechs to chase the squirrel is a bit harder since you can't hit a small group and run away avoiding fire as easy as you used to. I've had to use enemy mechs I'm attacking as cover to escape when their team comes back to re-enforce them.

The PB was a solid recommendation even without any skills pre-patch, but now you kind of have to work to make it as good as it was, and need to try to get those movement skill nodes done as fast as possible. You also need to pilot it a bit better than you used to since it won't forgive a wrong turn or reading enemy movement's wrong. Right now a lot of people think you can still run into a group to draw fire and get away just fine, but you need to be a bit smarter about how you deal with groups. A lot of PB pilots are dying because they are overconfident in how it used to pilot, but with a little more planning it's still a fearsome light that will wreck most assualts and heavies, and can break groups if you know what you are doing. Pirate's Bane still good, IMO. Don't play overly aggressive, plan your moves, and hit butts.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh gently caress. I bought the Battlemaster 1G but I did not realize it had gimped torso twist. That's pretty awful despite its nice hardpoints and quirks. drat. :(

I never really look at the torso ranges when I buy mechs since that rarely is a problem, but ick. I suppose I should've gone for the other one.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well, so I received a refund of ~ 3.4k General Skill points. I guess that ought to be good for some Mech Skilling stuff.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
So, I have the following mechs, 1130MC, 12M Cbills, 156K GXP.

What should I be doing? Which of the below mechs are worth paying attention to and which are poo poo tier that I should leave alone for the moment? And which of the sale mechs might be worth picking up?

ACH-C
FS9-S
FS9-A
JR7-0
BJ-2(L)
CN9-AH(L)
HBK-4J
HBK-GI
HBK-4SP
NVA-Prime
NVA-S
TDR-9SE
TBR-C(S)
TBR-S
WHM-BW
WHM-6R
WHM-6D
AS7-DDC
AS7-S
KDK-2
KDK-3

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

tarbrush posted:

What should I be doing? Which of the below mechs are worth paying attention to and which are poo poo tier that I should leave alone for the moment? And which of the sale mechs might be worth picking up?

ACH-C
FS9-S
FS9-A
JR7-0
BJ-2(L)
CN9-AH(L)
HBK-4J
HBK-GI
HBK-4SP
NVA-Prime
NVA-S
TDR-9SE
TBR-C(S)
TBR-S
WHM-BW
WHM-6R
WHM-6D
AS7-DDC
AS7-S
KDK-2
KDK-3

WHM-6D, TRD-9SE would be my personal suggestions but there are a lot of good mechs on your list. Both are on sale right now: http://mwomercs.com/news/2017/05/1827-tukayyid-salvage-sale

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

TjyvTompa posted:

WHM-6D, TRD-9SE would be my personal suggestions but there are a lot of good mechs on your list. Both are on sale right now: http://mwomercs.com/news/2017/05/1827-tukayyid-salvage-sale

Thanks, but I meant I have all those mechs already, I'm wondering if it's worth adding to my stable or saving cbills/mc for however the new system works?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Artificer posted:

Oh gently caress. I bought the Battlemaster 1G but I did not realize it had gimped torso twist. That's pretty awful despite its nice hardpoints and quirks. drat. :(

I never really look at the torso ranges when I buy mechs since that rarely is a problem, but ick. I suppose I should've gone for the other one.

The 1G and 2C are both good. The limited twist looks awful, but the BLR's specialty is corner peaking and hill humping it's beefy little heart out to make the most out of its excellent mounts. You generally don't end up brawling until the battle is over and one side is cleaning up, so the crappy twist isn't often super relevant.

tarbrush posted:

The nice thing about this sale is that it was all pulled from popular Tukayyid drop decks, so nearly everything is a top meta pick. Even the stuff like the TBRs and KDK-3 that got gutted by engine decoupling dropped from being superb down to merely being very good. That said, if I were to make a list...

IS:

BLR-1G
BLR-2C
GHR-5P
TDR-9SE
WHM-6D

All the top tier laser boats you could ever want. Each of the above can mount the ubiquitous and powerful LPL/ML vomit builds.

MAD-3R
MAL-MX90

The Marauder did well by the mobility changes and while the hero is probably the best variant, the default is is no slouch. As for the Mauler, buy it if you want the best dakka platform the IS can muster.

GRF-2N
HBK-4SP

The basic scouting brawlers. They'll do just as well SRMing stuff in the face in QM as they do in Faction play.

BLACK WIDOW

The only hero on sale and I hear it's pretty good? I don't own one, but 4x AC/5 in high mounts on a 70-tonner seems pretty okay to me.

Clan

ACH-PRIME/C

Well known for being the most bullshit try-hard light mech in the game. If that sort of thing appeals to you, pick one up.

EBJ-PRIME

With the TBR and HBR getting hit hard in the recent patch, the Jag is probably the Clan's premiere heavy laser boat going forward.

HBR-PRIME

Even with the huge nerfs, an ECM heavy is still an ECM heavy, so it's a mech worth having in your stable. Unlocking the skill nodes to bring it back up to where it was isn't too horrible.

HBK-IIC
HBK-IIC-A

These things are stupid. They're ungainly and not too durable, but sport insane mounts and gobs of free tonnage. They make the very best of mobile gun turrets. Take the default for dakka or the A for lasers and enjoy topping the damage chart every game in your 50-ton shitbox. I'd avoid the B; it's a brawler and not a very good one in my opinion.

KDK-3

Speaking of mobile turrets, even after having its legs ripped off by mobility nerfs the KDK-3 remains the best Clan assault. The mounts and hardpoints on this mech are just too good for it ever to be truly bad.

SHC-PRIME

I like this mech. It's very Jack of all trades. Almost as nimble as a light, with nearly the firepower of a proper medium. The locked engine hurts a bit but being one of the only chassis in the game with both ECM and MASC puts it in a unique place, and with the patch buffing MASC by proxy I think it's a good time to pick one up.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 20, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Going over the sale has got me thinking: why do the Clans have so many top-notch heavies and, like, maybe one good mech in every other weight class?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

Any particular standouts? Especially now that quirks are stripped so the IS variants of things like the Battlemaster don't matter much anymore.

I too want to know what to recommend friends by, post-Fuckening.

Are novas still great?

What about clanside mechs in general?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

tarbrush posted:

ACH-C
FS9-S
FS9-A
JR7-0
BJ-2(L)
CN9-AH(L)
HBK-4J
HBK-GI
HBK-4SP
NVA-Prime
NVA-S
TDR-9SE
TBR-C(S)
TBR-S
WHM-BW
WHM-6R
WHM-6D
AS7-DDC
AS7-S
KDK-2
KDK-3

The huchbacks, thunderbolts, and warhammers are all in a pretty good place right now.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Also, lol at the deathwish/HBK IIC hero mech's art vs hardpoint placement.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Congrats to Skoll for being such a loyal MWO customer that they named the hero Orion-IIC after him

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

The huchbacks, thunderbolts, and warhammers are all in a pretty good place right now.

The Grasshopper as well. It was one of the big winners for the mobility lottery.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

The Repo Man posted:

Pirate's Bane still pretty good despite engine decoupling (Check that Ultra Violet Dire Wolf's damage also. He was 100% fresh until the very end when I cored his back and got him).

lol, PP is a grade :smugdon: shitlord from the halcyon days of "volunteer" moderation. The purest form of white knight for long range boating/sniping.

gj walking up to him and killing him. tbh, you could get into a brawl with him in a phx3s and he'd still play like a statue. :spergin:

Pattonesque posted:

Congrats to Skoll for being such a loyal MWO customer that they named the hero Orion-IIC after him

Also this.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

armchairyoda posted:

lol, PP is a grade :smugdon: shitlord from the halcyon days of "volunteer" moderation. The purest form of white knight for long range boating/sniping.

gj walking up to him and killing him. tbh, you could get into a brawl with him in a phx3s and he'd still play like a statue. :spergin:

Also this.

Christ that guy was a prick.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

They hosed something up on the hero Orion IIC's artwork. It shows both a guass and a UAC5, but lists only the guass.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

They hosed something up on the hero Orion IIC's artwork. It shows both a guass and a UAC5, but lists only the guass.

*Artwork does not reflect final loadout.

The HBK-IIC is even worse. The picture shows 3E in the right torso but the specs say it's 1B.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I am kinda hesitant to get the Thunderbolt since I have a decent 3 LPL boat in the K2 already.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

holy poo poo there are so many LRMs in this event.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

LRMs have made a huge comeback since the fuckening. Nobody is running radar dep or the ecm skills anymore so it's super easy to just keep hammering people.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm thinking of finding my mech with the most AMS hardpoints and running a half-joke build of just trying to take down the most LRMs, just to see how much it can take. Because yeah, holy wow there are too many LRMs right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm thinking of finding my mech with the most AMS hardpoints and running a half-joke build of just trying to take down the most LRMs, just to see how much it can take. Because yeah, holy wow there are too many LRMs right now.

Kit fox supremecy

• Locked thread