Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Chill la Chill posted:

:lol: for real we would have better games for all parties if "good war games" wasn't just relegated to grognards and thematic games werent just relegated to lol randumb pop culture nerds.

I imagine how stoked I'd be if twilight struggle was remade into Cthulhu zombies instead of whatever Munchkin trash those people play.

Cold war kitsch loving owns tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Chill la Chill posted:

:lol: for real we would have better games for all parties if "good war games" wasn't just relegated to grognards and thematic games werent just relegated to lol randumb pop culture nerds.

I imagine how stoked I'd be if twilight struggle was remade into Cthulhu zombies instead of whatever Munchkin trash those people play.
When this happens the people that like "thematic" games just decry that the game isn't thematic enough/is too complex/too difficult to play/not "fun"

As an example, see some of the reaction to Dungeon Lords: funny theme, good art, good gameplay and some people decried it because it wasn't a dungeon crawling game.

Some people just aren't interested in complex games :shrug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

When this happens the people that like "thematic" games just decry that the game isn't thematic enough/is too complex/too difficult to play/not "fun"

As an example, see some of the reaction to Dungeon Lords: funny theme, good art, good gameplay and some people decried it because it wasn't a dungeon crawling game.

Some people just aren't interested in complex games :shrug:

:wtc:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tom Vassal should not be allowed to live.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Rumda posted:

Tom Vassal should not be allowed to live.

Same but all neckbeards

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There's a very specific example that I'm trying to avoid saying.

Also DVG did make a wargame where you command a group of Superhornets against Chthulhu but it didn't sell very well, because it was still a wargame at heart.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah, the problem really isn't "we gotta fix the branding", it's "people whose favorite games are zombie games don't actually like games, they like zombies".

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Has anyone played cave evil or psycho raiders?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Watch this space for Exploding Tigers kickstarter announcement.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Cave Evil is apparently a solid beat em up game. A couple people here have played it at least.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Fat Samurai posted:

My Little Pony COIN when.

Interestingly enough, this is a thing which has been given Jamie's blessing to be shopped for publication & licensing. So hey, anything is possible.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Tekopo posted:

There's a very specific example that I'm trying to avoid saying.

We're talking about evolution, right?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Xelkelvos posted:

Why not Inquisition, Chaos, Rogue Traders and Orkz? (or possibly two different Chaos factions instead of Orkz and Chaos?)

Dune, with Harkonen, Fremen, Spacing Guild, and Atreides?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

KPC_Mammon posted:

Dune, with Harkonen, Fremen, Spacing Guild, and Atreides?

That game exists. It's called Dune.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

This is straight up why I spent all night working on my idea - which I even admitted was dumb and shameful by the way, I am not unaware of that fact believe me. I was standing around thinking about how I have one friend who has the attention span to sit through my usual war games face to face, but I know of game stores near me where I could easily recruit five or six people for a game of 40k that would last several hours and involve just as much sitting around staring at rules or wasting time measuring poo poo on a table. So I figured, gently caress it, if they won't go to the mountain I'll see if I can make the mountain go to them.

Xelkelvos posted:

I went with the factions because they're represented in table top and there are a poo poo load of people out there that straight up love elves/eldar. Orks are an anti-insugent faction because they work backwards to how insurgent factions are supposed to work. Orks are also the anti-money faction, which I did because the money faction is usually the most boring to play for new players. I considered an Inquisitor as a leader piece for the Imperium, but then I'd have to have leaders for the others. Also, people absolutely love Space Marines so I don't want to draw attention away from them.

Jimbozig posted:

Okay, so, there's some rationale behind the Eldar. They're a small but elite force and losing insurgent pieces just means dispersing an Eldar army or forcing a withdrawal, but not actually harming them. Relative to the other factions you have a lot of bases out at once compared to your actual forces which is how you move your pieces around to go where you want to go and concentrate forces at vital areas. Hitting their bases means a totally different thing than removing insurgent pieces and is how to actually hurt them. Keep in mind underground Eldar protect their bases from the Imperium. This is specifically because, and I should have mentioned this, the Eldar and Imperium are the 'Order' team, whereas Chaos and Orks are the 'Chaos' team. Eldar use unshaded event text like the Imperium while Chaos and Orks use shaded event text. However, they are like the AUC from Andean Abyss and the Imperium player has to be sure they don't focus Chaos' bases and let the Eldar the game. I was thinking of changing the Eldar win condition to [Chaos + Ork bases < N + Available] or something, but decided to go simple and just make them very similar to the AUC.

As for the Orks, as I said above, they're the anti-insurgent faction. Underground Orks are present but not collected into a WAAAGGGHHH yet. Once that happens though they are fully functional. I was thinking of adding a change to Ork Rally so that it can be used to Rally in lots of places or one place regardless of Control allowing you to just poo poo out boyz into the middle of anything like the raiders in Pendragon.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 19, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Merauder posted:

Interestingly enough, this is a thing which has been given Jamie's blessing to be shopped for publication & licensing. So hey, anything is possible.

I still hoped that some topics were safe from nerds on the internet making GBS threads MLP all over them. Now I know I'm wrong and my life is a little bit worse for it.

So thank you. :argh:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Fat Samurai posted:

I still hoped that some topics were safe from nerds on the internet making GBS threads MLP all over them. Now I know I'm wrong and my life is a little bit worse for it.

So thank you. :argh:

Yeah man, screw that adorable little girl and her gross girl toys.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah man, screw that adorable little girl and her gross girl toys.

Grownups will be playing that on their own.

Fair enough point, though, kid is all right, and this is probably the one reason where slapping an IP on a completely unrelated theme is ok. I'm just tired of <insert popular franchise here, no matter how inappropriate> conversions everywhere.

It's a pet peeve.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

Hey guys, you know what else resembles an insurgency? Zombies! And what if we made the second insurgent faction Cthulhu cultists!? For the COIN factions, I was thinking one could be a European empire protecting its trading network, and the other is, uh, anime mechs?

Honestly I am unironically for this. COIN is a good system in the same way D20 was a good system, which lead to a renaissance in tabletop RPGs. I want it to branch out beyond historic games.

Best thing is that COIN has no trademark attached to it (as far as I know) so literally anyone can use it. That's how that Gandhi game was picked up by GMT.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

So I was able to try a game of Terraforming Mars and I kinda felt like the cards are all way too random to really be able to make up a solid strategy? We had some problems grasping the rules, so I'm wondering if we missed something or if it really does kinda just feel too random to play smart?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FutureFriend posted:

So I was able to try a game of Terraforming Mars and I kinda felt like the cards are all way too random to really be able to make up a solid strategy? We had some problems grasping the rules, so I'm wondering if we missed something or if it really does kinda just feel too random to play smart?

No that's pretty much the consensus opinion. Same problem I have with Bruges even though that gives you some influence over your draws (and is a lot more point salady so you can still do something with bad draws).

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

No that's pretty much the consensus opinion. Same problem I have with Bruges even though that gives you some influence over your draws (and is a lot more point salady so you can still do something with bad draws).

Bummer, I don't mind randomness normally in some games, but I do when the game took like 4 hours to play and none of us really knew what to do to play better next time

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

Y'know, I hadn't made that connection, but yeah the reasons I dislike Terraforming Mars are exactly the reasons I burned out on Bruges after like 2 plays and never want to play it again.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm looking to fill out a CSI order. Anyone have words for Thunder Alley?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have to give FFG credit for making Rebellion a good CDG. They captured both people who want to chuck dice with Darth Vader and people who play medium weight point-to-point CDG wargames. If you changed that game's theme to Revolutionary War people would be talking about it as coming from the Washington's War/We the People school of design.

GrandpaPants posted:

As a strictly 2-player game, it's really good. Feels like a duel of endurance as you're balancing damage across your vehicles. 3+ it becomes a party game where you can slam drinks inbetween turns because nothing matters until it's your turn. It's both a pro and a con.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

al-azad posted:

Honestly I am unironically for this. COIN is a good system in the same way D20 was a good system, which lead to a renaissance in tabletop RPGs. I want it to branch out beyond historic games.

Best thing is that COIN has no trademark attached to it (as far as I know) so literally anyone can use it. That's how that Gandhi game was picked up by GMT.

This is in many ways also my thoughts on the matter. That being said, one of the things that I think wargames should aim for is simulating a conflict in a fashion that feels correct. Which is why I didn't really like the idea of the Star Wars game because that doesn't really feel like it fits for Star Wars. It's the same reason I haven't been weighing in on the idea for a Twilight Struggle COIN because that also doesn't feel correct (however, I think the three player Russian version of ADP was a cool idea). So while I was complaining to myself about my lack of opponents it hit me that I could combine something that other people like with COIN because I realized that it could work as a counterinsurgency style game. Bearing in mind that COIN has been adapted for Caeser's conquest of Gaul and the disintegration of Roman Britain as well as modern counterinsurgency conflicts with conventional forces fighting each other. When I was hacking together my ideas for the 40k thing it took very little actual thinking, all I did was ask what already existent COIN game elements should I steal or adapt and I had over half of the idea laid out in less than an hour.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

al-azad posted:

This is a fair assessment. Despite my cranky replies, I'm not actually opposed to the COIN system being applied to non-historical scenarios. It's more that I'm bummed about the lack of creativity when it comes to board game themes, particularly the over-reliance on a handful of existing IPs and geek tropes. I love recent themes like Scythe, Inis, Comancheria, and March of the Ants.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CaptainRightful posted:

It's more that I'm bummed about the lack of creativity when it comes to board game themes, particularly the over-reliance on a handful of existing IPs and geek tropes. I love recent themes like Scythe, Inis, Comancheria, and March of the Ants.

I'm similar, but I don't think "Dieselpunk" is really dipping too far into the creative waters. Dorks love that poo poo. I really want more board games to have bizzare themes. Like, think of some of the old James Ernest games:

Working in a fast food restaurant staffed exclusively by zombies where they are too cheap to spring for more than one brain.
Everyone is falling to their deaths but you're trying to land last because you might as well.
You have too many cows and too many landmines. It's a problem that solves itself.

Those games may or may not be good, but I want more themes like that. Weird poo poo. There is the occasionally odd thing like Ice Cool but there is always room for more weirdness.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

This is a fair assessment. Despite my cranky replies, I'm not actually opposed to the COIN system being applied to non-historical scenarios. It's more that I'm bummed about the lack of creativity when it comes to board game themes, particularly the over-reliance on a handful of existing IPs and geek tropes. I love recent themes like Scythe, Inis, Comancheria, and March of the Ants.

I definitely agree with you, but also I think every good property needs one stellar game every so often. Video games reached the point where it's too expensive to make anything half-assed (except phone games) but board game publishers are fine with scribbling over their failed prototypes to shove them onto Walmart shelves.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Banana Man posted:

Has anyone played cave evil or psycho raiders?

I've got CAVE EVIL. It's very silly, with a lot of randomness. The theme is piled on very thickly though, so it's got a lot of charm. I'd not buy it for the secondary market price that it's going for $300-$400, but I'm glad I have it and wouldn't sell it on because it is unique.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Ithle01 posted:

This is in many ways also my thoughts on the matter. That being said, one of the things that I think wargames should aim for is simulating a conflict in a fashion that feels correct. Which is why I didn't really like the idea of the Star Wars game because that doesn't really feel like it fits for Star Wars.
[...]
When I was hacking together my ideas for the 40k thing [...]

I'm a bit flabbergasted that you think 40k is a better fit than Star Wars. I mean, Star Wars is all about a rebel insurgent group fighting to overthrow the government. Maybe a 2-p thing is more appropriate than 4-p, since the 4th faction is a bit of a stretch, but still.

CaptainRightful posted:

This comment made perfect sense right up until the examples you gave. Commancheria is historical. Inis has a historical theme, too - thematically, it's hard to tell it apart from all the other medieval themed board games. Scythe is historical but with mechs so I think it's not really avoiding the nerd tropes very well. March of the Ants is the one game you listed that seems to fit with how I've interpreted your comment. I mean, all those games do original things or at least do common things in really original ways, but I just don't see how the first three fall into the category of "original theme that avoids the usual nerd tropes and IPs." Like, Food Chain Magnate is the example I thought you were going to use.

I do agree with your sentiment. Looking over "the hotness" on BGG, the most common theme I see is historical (with lots of northern Europe and Japan in particular), followed by trad fantasy (lots of dwarves in particular), then sci-fi involving a galactic empire (mostly licensed Star Wars games), then post-apocalypse, with a handful of games involving mechs. Mechs are now more plentiful than zombies. It's indeed a little weird that such a huge amount of the boardgaming sphere falls into those categories, while other incredibly popular genres are left out. Where are the superhero board games? Where are the heist games? Where are the vampire and werewolf games? Where are the Hunger Games / Battle Royale games? Seriously, how has that last one not happened yet? It's ripe for the picking! (Yes, I googled and found a game with the Hunger Games license, but it doesn't involve teens killing one another, so what is even the loving point??)

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 20, 2017

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

GrandpaPants posted:

I have a million words, all of them positive. Scales smoothly from 2-7 without much added playtime. Really cool maps, fun unexpected racing depending on the track. Some luck, lots of strategy, sells the theme (never watched NASCAR, still love the game) and is super easy to pick up. I definitely recommend it. (It's a table hog though)

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jimbozig posted:

This comment made perfect sense right up until the examples you gave. Commancheria is historical. Inis has a historical theme, too - thematically, it's hard to tell it apart from all the other medieval themed board games. Scythe is historical but with mechs so I think it's not really avoiding the nerd tropes very well. March of the Ants is the one game you listed that seems to fit with how I've interpreted your comment. I mean, all those games do original things or at least do common things in really original ways, but I just don't see how the first three fall into the category of "original theme that avoids the usual nerd tropes and IPs." Like, Food Chain Magnate is the example I thought you were going to use.

I do agree with your sentiment. Looking over "the hotness" on BGG, the most common theme I see is historical (with lots of northern Europe and Japan in particular), followed by trad fantasy (lots of dwarves in particular), then sci-fi involving a galactic empire (mostly licensed Star Wars games), then post-apocalypse, with a handful of games involving mechs. Mechs are now more plentiful than zombies. It's indeed a little weird that such a huge amount of the boardgaming sphere falls into those categories, while other incredibly popular genres are left out. Where are the superhero board games? Where are the heist games? Where are the vampire and werewolf games? Where are the Hunger Games / Battle Royale games? Seriously, how has that last one not happened yet? It's ripe for the picking! (Yes, I googled and found a game with the Hunger Games license, but it doesn't involve teens killing one another, so what is even the loving point??)

I like FCM a lot and think that can be added to the list, but the reason I chose those others:

1. Scythe bucks the common "mech" theme quite a bit, being a game where you rarely use your mechs to fight each other. They didn't even have a Japanese faction in the base game! And calling it steampunk is a stretch, but even then, compare the number of steampunk games to say, zombies or Star Wars.
2. "Historical" is ridiculously broad. I know of one other game about expanding and defending your territory as a Native American tribe and it's Navajo Wars by the same designer.
3. I don't know of any game other than Inis about Celtic tribes.

As for your questions about superheroes, vampires, and werewolves: there are plenty! But all bunched together, they're still outnumbered by zombie games.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Boxman posted:

Is anyone at Geekway to the West in St. Louis this weekend? I went back a few pages but didn't see anything.

Me and my buddy from Nashville are here! Having a great time. Won Scythe as a door prize.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Everything comes in waves. A few years ago everyone was talking about Sentinels of the Multiverse and Legendary system. Then it was all One Night Werewolf.

Zombies can't die soon enough.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
COIN: Ultimate Warrior, in which you roll four random factions out of the seven games and pit them up against each other.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

I'm a bit flabbergasted that you think 40k is a better fit than Star Wars. I mean, Star Wars is all about a rebel insurgent group fighting to overthrow the government. Maybe a 2-p thing is more appropriate than 4-p, since the 4th faction is a bit of a stretch, but still.

Yeah it's a stumbling block for me and totally a personal bias because when I think of Star Wars I think of the movies and not the EU stuff and when I think of WH40K I think of the tabletop where the majority of it is (literally) faceless space warriors battling it out with aliens. I feel like it would be hard to make it evocative the way the Battle of Endor or Yavin are because you think about the characters involved rather than the ships and their crews, but that's just me.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Much like Liberty or Death, Star Wars COIN seems like a square peg in a round hole.

40k might work having it set on one planet with Planetary government, Inquisition, chaos cultists, and genestealer cultists as the factions. Of course then you don't get the draw of marines, etc.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

40k is all about chaos or genestealer cultists overthrowing the corrupt Imperial rule though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Couldn't you do 40k as A distant plain?

Chaos cults
Planetary governor
Fractional/Tribal leaders
Inquisition/imperial forces