Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
They made a point of showing David cry quite a few times. Any ideas on the significance of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

IMB posted:

They made a point of showing David cry quite a few times. Any ideas on the significance of that.

Why wouldn't he?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I saw it again. I conclude that the Xenomorph is an animal.

Also when David bombs the Engineers the effect very much resembles a swarm of locusts.

The fact that everything resembles tge Xenomorph leads me to think the Xenomorph species is the end goal - the final form - of whatever biological process that drives the black stuff. The perfect organism. So let loose the black stuff and give it enough time and there will be a Xenomorph hive.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 20, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I also wanna know the significance of Walter disposing of the botchling

Also the Engineers clothing and architecture very much resembles classical Rome.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 20, 2017

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
This afternoon I put on Alien 3's Assembly Cut to remind myself of just how bad it is. Boy, was I in for a treat: it's worse than I remembered. The digital creature f/x are among the worst of the 1990s. The actors, outside of Tywin Lannister, are absolute poo poo, and that INCLUDES Weaver, who inexplicably wants to gently caress the first medical malpractice doctor she meets on "Fury" 161. Oh, and special recognition for Mr. Tattoo Teardrop who puts on his rape goggles before getting ready to rear end-blast Ripley in a scene that is not only stupid and cliché’, but also completely lacking in dread or tension. Then again, given Fincher's mawkish nihilism, perhaps he should have really stuck it to the fans by having the savage act carried out on one of film's greatest female characters? You can almost see Fincher and screenwriter Vincent Ward meeting together at Fox, Alien 3's majestic failure just a twinkle in their eyes.

"Hey, David, let's kill Hicks!"

*edgy guitar riff*

"Hey, Vince, let's kill Newt, too!"

*edgy guitar riff*

In unision: "And let's rape Ripley!"

*longer, edgier guitar riff*

Why, oh why, can't you Alien 3 fans see the film for the sloppy, wormy turd that it is? Why can't you see the terrible set design and repetition that are earmarks of a poorly spent budget, and look like they came from Madonna's "Express Yourself" music video? Why can't you recognize the terrible visual effects by a way past-his-prime Richard Edlund? Why don't you see the obvious seams in a rushed-to-production script that wasn't even finished when they started shooting? Why is a cow alien cooler than a dog alien, and how does an extra 30 minutes of poo poo make an already lovely movie less lovely?

But, of course, for Alien 3 fans there are no easy answers.

The sad thing, for me at least--if I can look at these miserable creatures with more empathy than they have for themselves, is that this misguided love for Alien 3 is really just a sign of questionable taste and judgment, which almost certainly bleed into other aspects of your typical Alien 3 fan's life. Poor relationship decisions. Poor lifestyle choices. An affinity for contrarianism in the face of overwhelming logic and evidence. An inability to connect with the beautiful, kind and reasonable people of the world. Small shafts and sagging marble-sized balls, overwhelmed by tufts of shaggy, unkempt pubic hair. Anal leakage. Dementia.

Please note that I am not condoning the abandoning of Alien 3 fans. As tempting as it is to consider, it is also inhumane; left to their own vices these wretches will stubbornly continue down their self-destructive path, organizing conventions and viewing parties, making threads like this, terrorizing their friends and family with unwanted conversation, or desperately trying to quote a remarkably unquotable film, especially when compared to James Cameron's landmark 1986 classic, which had incredible characters like Hicks, Hudson, Bishop and Paul Reiser spouting off instant classics nearly ever minute. I would also caution against comparing Alien 3 fans with other groups cut from a similar cloth. While logically tempting, pointing out similarities between Alien 3 fans, 9/11 Truthers and NAMBLA will only serve to isolate and antagonize.

Believe me when I say the only things that will change the mind of an Alien 3 fan are love, respect and kindness. I truly believe that. But it will take the same kind of love, respect and kindness that Ridley Scott and James Cameron had for their respective audiences when they made Alien and Aliens, two films that are vastly superior in every measurable category when compared to the completely inadequate Alien 3.

CDHiggs fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 20, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
David has also pretty explicitly lost his sanity. Starts talkin about horses with the Neomorph and compares himself to a god. Also the creepy rape stuff.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
CDHiggs, what do you think about Resurrection? My opinion on Alien 3 and Resurrection is basically the reverse of most in this thread (ie Alien 3 is irredeemable trash but Resurrection is a misunderstood, stylish piece).

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CDHiggs posted:

This afternoon I put on Alien 3's Assembly Cut to remind myself of just how bad it is. Boy, was I in for a treat: it's worse than I remembered. The digital creature f/x are among the worst of the 1990s. The actors, outside of Tywin Lannister, are absolute poo poo, and that INCLUDES Weaver, who inexplicably wants to gently caress the first medical malpractice doctor she meets on "Fury" 161. Oh, and special recognition for Mr. Tattoo Teardrop who puts on his rape goggles before getting ready to rear end-blast Ripley in a scene that is not only stupid and cliché’, but also completely lacking in dread or tension. Then again, given Fincher's mawkish nihilism, perhaps he should have really stuck it to the fans by having the savage act carried out on one of film's greatest female characters? You can almost see Fincher and screenwriter Vincent Ward meeting together at Fox, Alien 3's majestic failure just a twinkle in their eyes.

"Hey, David, let's kill Hicks!"

*edgy guitar riff*

"Hey, Vince, let's kill Newt, too!"

*edgy guitar riff*

In unision: "And let's rape Ripley!"

*longer, edgier guitar riff*

Why, oh why, can't you Alien 3 fans see the film for the sloppy, wormy turd that it is? Why can't you see the terrible set design and repetition that are earmarks of a poorly spent budget, and look like they came from Madonna's "Express Yourself" music video? Why can't you recognize the terrible visual effects by a way past-his-prime Richard Edlund? Why don't you see the obvious seams in a rushed-to-production script that wasn't even finished when they started shooting? Why is a cow alien cooler than a dog alien, and how does an extra 30 minutes of poo poo make an already lovely movie less lovely?

But, of course, for Alien 3 fans there are no easy answers.

The sad thing, for me at least--if I can look at these miserable creatures with more empathy than they have for themselves, is that this misguided love for Alien 3 is really just a sign of questionable taste and judgment, which almost certainly bleed into other aspects of your typical Alien 3 fan's life. Poor relationship decisions. Poor lifestyle choices. An affinity for contrarianism in the face of overwhelming logic and evidence. An inability to connect with the beautiful, kind and reasonable people of the world. Small shafts and sagging marble-sized balls, overwhelmed by tufts of shaggy, unkempt pubic hair. Anal leakage. Dementia.

Please note that I am not condoning the abandoning of Alien 3 fans. As tempting as it is to consider, it is also inhumane; left to their own vices these wretches will stubbornly continue down their self-destructive path, organizing conventions and viewing parties, making threads like this, terrorizing their friends and family with unwanted conversation, or desperately trying to quote a remarkably unquotable film, especially when compared to James Cameron's landmark 1986 classic, which had incredible characters like Hicks, Hudson, Bishop and Paul Reiser spouting off instant classics nearly ever minute. I would also caution against comparing Alien 3 fans with other groups cut from a similar cloth. While logically tempting, pointing out similarities between Alien 3 fans, 9/11 Truthers and NAMBLA will only serve to isolate and antagonize.

Believe me when I say the only things that will change the mind of an Alien 3 fan are love, respect and kindness. I truly believe that. But it will take the same kind of love, respect and kindness that Ridley Scott and James Cameron had for their respective audiences when they made Alien and Aliens, two films that are vastly superior in every measurable category when compared to the completely inadequate Alien 3.

did you watch the assembly cut though

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Really dug AC a lot. I'd put it in third place right under Aliens. It's shot incredibly well. A lot of it, especially the attack sequence in the wheat fields made it feel like a Jurassic Park film in some spots and I was super down with that. I thought the CGI was fine. It was way more gory than I thought it would be.

Biggest issues I had were the choreographed android fight sequence which I thought was kind of cheesy and off track, and the Alien FPS camera

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Alien: Covenant was loving awesome.

All the creature effects are great except for the shots where one of the creatures is being viewed by surveillance cameras towards the very end.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 20, 2017

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

CDHiggs, what do you think about Resurrection? My opinion on Alien 3 and Resurrection is basically the reverse of most in this thread (ie Alien 3 is irredeemable trash but Resurrection is a misunderstood, stylish piece).

Resurrection is a trashy film with an amazing cast. There are individual moments that are superb, but the whole thing feels like it was directed by a crazy Frenchman, which it was. Honestly, it's hard for me to really consider it as a part of the Alien/Ripley series, because it's so loving ridiculous. But because I don't consider it a part of that series, I also don't hate it as much as Alien 3, which sent the whole series spiraling down toward the depths of hell (AVP 1 & 2).

My personal opinion is that any complaint directed toward Resurrection should instead be directed at Alien 3. Think the Ripley clone shooting basketball is dumb? Well, tell Alien 3 to go gently caress itself.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Still thinking about Alien Covenant, that visual of the guy vomiting up all that blood then he kinda bulges up when he puked up the neomorph is really sticking with me. Easily one of the most disgusting things I've seen in a big budget movie.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 20, 2017

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Basebf555 posted:

Why wouldn't he?

Because he didn't in Prometheus? I assumed it was to show that the closer he resembled a human, the more destructive he became.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sw this movie and I really liked it but it had some flaws.

The beginning: loving perfect. The entire conversation ending with David overstepping and Weyland reinforcing his position by making David serve tea was a great way to start the movie

Middle: Gruesome and brutal. The crew was kinda dumb but not Prometheus level of dumb. They separated way too often and trusted David way too soon. The Captain was a loving moron all around and letting David walk him to the egg was real loving dumb. David & Walter's scene were incredibly tense and the second they showed the flute I knew he was going to use it as a weapon.

End: I kinda hated it? It's obvious that was David and not Walter yet they still went through the motions. Daniels didn't trust him but then accepting him without checking and the ship's computer not noticing any difference kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Life did this ending better.

Xenos: Really good stuff all around. Some great shots and kills. Definite aliens in this alien movie would see again

But seriously, how the gently caress do you go land on a new planet without hazard/environmental suits??? Future humanity is always dumb.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

CGI was bad. Reminded me of those pygmy things in the second Brendan Frasier Mummy movie from 16 years ago.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I thought it was visually stunning, I'll give it that. Old Ridley has always had an eye for that.

Seems like he threw in a few nods to Cameron's film too, which I thought was interesting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

End: I kinda hated it? It's obvious that was David and not Walter yet they still went through the motions. Daniels didn't trust him but then accepting him without checking and the ship's computer not noticing any difference kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Life did this ending better.

It's not obvious til the very end. I was actually very surprised that it was David rather than a Walter who changed his mind.

Speaking of that twist, someone has to make a gif of the moment where "Walter" brings her back into the cab after she kills the alien in the crane. You know something is up even with the abrupt end to their struggle in that exact moment because he puts his hand on his shoulder as she looks away, during that time his hood blows up over his head, then blows off again when she turns back to face him.

Was very impressed with how much this movie does not skimp on the graphic violence.

I found it interesting how much this movie at times felt like more like Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 than it did Prometheus, especially any time the characters start talking about faith at all in the first half. I feel like Scott did a really good job balancing this into being "an Alien movie" without it feeling like a rehash.

LMAO at that brief shot of Shaw's corpse though, that was an Alien 3 caliber moment there alright.

I have to say, if another one of these gets made it'd be great to see a movie set entirely on that colony.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 20, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

the ship's computer not noticing any difference kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Life did this ending better.

I've no idea how he managed to get onto the ship undiscovered. I assume his fingerprints wouldn't match (it'd be a huge mistake to give all androids the same prints if you're going to use them for identity/security purposes) and, even if he could avoid using that system because of his missing hand, he has no way of knowing all the ship's codes, unless they're just stored in a plaintext file somewhere, which would be ridiculous.

Neo Rasa posted:

It's not obvious til the very end. I was actually very surprised that it was David rather than a Walter who changed his mind.

I suppose it's not obvious in the sense that he's not wearing a shirt with "David" on it, but it's so heavily foreshadowed and hinted at (David cutting his hair, the fight scene, David's hood blowing up) that I'd have been much more surprised if it had been Walter. The "evil clone kills good clone and takes his place" trope is so horrifically overdone that it's hard to do it in an even slightly original way, and they certainly didn't manage it here.

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011
I know this has probably been discussed already but I personally find the ending to be exceptionally horrifying not for just what David is presumably going to do to the sleeping colonists, but that it is going to happen in such an utterly remote, unreachable location. One could travel to real places of atrocities like Syrian prisons and attempt to halt said atrocities. One could reach said places by plane, car, or even by foot. In contrast, space is drat near infinite. David has the entirety of a dark, uncaring void to hide and move about, coupled with his hypothetically infinite "life"span to conduct perverse experiments. Overall, I give this movie 3 and a half inflated basketballs with a busted air pump thrown in for good measure.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

what a frustrating movie. some amazing scenes but the overall product is a loving mess. and woof those creature effects.

Pretty much, same way I felt about Prometheus. The freakout in the lander was great and everything after that was a painful slog.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

I've no idea how he managed to get onto the ship undiscovered. I assume his fingerprints wouldn't match (it'd be a huge mistake to give all androids the same prints if you're going to use them for identity/security purposes) and, even if he could avoid using that system because of his missing hand, he has no way of knowing all the ship's codes, unless they're just stored in a plaintext file somewhere, which would be ridiculous.

I suppose it's not obvious in the sense that he's not wearing a shirt with "David" on it, but it's so heavily foreshadowed and hinted at (David cutting his hair, the fight scene, David's hood blowing up) that I'd have been much more surprised if it had been Walter. The "evil clone kills good clone and takes his place" trope is so horrifically overdone that it's hard to do it in an even slightly original way, and they certainly didn't manage it here.

See I was the opposite, I was 100% certain it was going to be Walter but with a new point of view and that David cutting his hair/etc., like obviously his plan was to take Walter's place but it didn't work out, and yet it did., even up to when that character was asked the question, I read it more as him being genuinely taken aback than confused about the situation.

As far as him getting on board the ship goes, that seems easy enough. He could have taken Walter's other hand with him, or given how much of it is voice activated it would be a non-issue, or since they're androids he plugged a cord from Walter into himself and just knows every bit of information about the ship now, it didn't seem weird to me..

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Frankenstein isn't the monster, but he is a monster. In this case, he is also the monster.

David stole the show, as with the last one, and it was a mighty pretty movie, again like the last. Full of people running straight into horror cliches with a gusto, the most likable character was essentially the slasher, as is most often the case with that sort of film. Almost feels like a Hammer Frankenstein movie, as it ended with the full and obvious intention of moving on to the further adventures of everyone's favorite mad scientist. Liked it enough, but with the caveat that I know full well it was a movie full of poo poo I can and likely will nitpick the poo poo out of as I think back on it.

It really feels to me like Prometheus ended in a way that promised a totally different film than the one we got, though I suppose it's reception made whatever Scott had in mind unfeasible.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Really love that music cue that played throughout the movie. Gave it a little Silent Hill-ish atmosphere.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IMB posted:

Don't act like you've never cried because humans suck rear end.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I liked it. I'd say I liked it at the same level I liked Prometheus. Is it going to be considered an all time classic? Absolutely not. But knowing that there will almost certainly be sequels to this makes me appreciate how they're fleshing out the story.

Some Cliff Notes:

* One of the handful of nitpicks I would put forth would be how they just kinda threw the crew into our laps without even a smidgen of character development. I'm not suggesting that they shoud have spent the first act giving us the biographies of every single crew member, but something more than "There are a bunch of people and they're married" would have sufficed. It would make their deaths more tragic if they weren't treated like unnamed camp counselors in a Firday the 13th movie. I am indifferent to James Franco. It wouldn't have mattered to me one way or another if he had survived the pod malfunction and went down to the planet with them.

*Another nitpick that so many others in this thread have mentioned is the total disregard for contamination protocols that Weyland employees have. The crew in this one are somehow even dumber than the Prometheus crew. Motherfuckers, I don't care WHAT your sensors say about the atmosphere. The sensors could also be unable to detect things that aren't on Earth's periodic table, too. You had better keep your pressurized space suit on at all times when not within the confines of the ship. No and's, if's or but's about it, either. That's just common sense. Certainly the writers can find a way for the crew to be smart about this, and the airborne virus STILL finding a way to breach their suits. Like, maybe the black goo infiltrates their CO2 scrubbers or something. It should take 1 or 2 paragraphs in the script to fix this glaring mistake.

* What was awesome about this? The aesthetics of the main ship itself. I get more Nostromo vibes from the Covenant than I did from the Prometheus. It was like a less dingy version of the Nostromo, but not as sparkling and smooth as parts of the Prometheus interior. And the little musical motifs of the OG Alien score in the first act were nice touches, too, along with the bobbing water bird toy at the end. The Engineer necropolis (both before *and* after the genociding) were stunning, too.

* Danny McBride did a pretty decent job as Tennessee. I was expecting him to be more of a comic relief character, but he did well with his dramatic turn.

* David turning into a combination of Col. Kurtz and Dr. Moreau (ironically, both played by Marlon Brando) while marooned on the Engineer homeworld for a decade was horrifying. And I was positive that during the initial flute playing scene, just the way that he was holding the flute, he was going to jam it into Walter's face or throat. He eventually did, but I was totally faked out the first time around.

* Billy Crudup's character wasn't a huge rear end in a top hat company man like so many of the characters in these movies that preceeded him. He was dumb as poo poo to peek into the egg sac, but he didn't deserve his death. His hubris didn't get him killed. His overly optimistic naivete did.

* The creature effects (especially the neomorph) were okay. I'm partial to the physical alien suits that have been enhanced slightly with CGI in past films to the ones in this film. The poo poo in the wheat field was terrifying, though. That's probably one of the best "This thing is a wild goddamn animal that will lash out at you for no reason" scenes i've ever seen from any of the xeno variants. Tennessee's poor wife stumbling out of the exploded lander whilst still on fire was some heinous poo poo that stuck with me.

* *pours out a 40 for Elizabeth Shaw, who never got her opportunity to bitch out the Engineer hierarchy, which is a goddamn shame*

* I still love that little Prometheus musical motif to this day (when David was playing it on the flute).

* Several people in the theater at the end of the movie when David locked away the facehugger embryos could audibly be heard saying "Oh poo poo!". I feel like that's going to happen more often than not, and that's exactly what Ridley Scott was going for.

* I've gotta see this movie on a big ol' TV in 4K. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So, why does David think the final Xenomorph is the perfect one? It almost seems like it's particularly because it's a rape-monster rather than just a violent killer. David seems to have become kinda fixated on sexual reproduction, a bit like Ash in the first Alien. I dunno, I think it's an interesting explanation for that aspect of the Xenomorphs.

Martman fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 20, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Personally, I was enterained initially, but the more I talked to my friend the more dumb the movie became. Also, when I say entertained I don't mean how it was intended to sometimes. Like twice the entire theater laughed scenes that were meant to be serious. The CGI was terrible my opinion. A lot of the cast acted dumb and had no character. I feel the Revelation about the Xenomorph is terrible and kind of ruins the concept of the creature. Overall, I'd say it was an OK movie. Like a solid 6 out of 10. It was worth the price of admission. However, it was no alien or aliens. More than a little disappointed.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Covok posted:

Like twice the entire theater laughed scenes that were meant to be serious.

Which scenes?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alright, back from the theatre. Short version: I liked it, with reservations. As a horror/thriller I liked it more than Prometheus, although as a philosophical thought-piece I think I like Prometheus more. I'm not sure which one I'm more eager to sit down and re-watch on a rainy day, but if someone put a gun to my head I'd probably say Covenant.

Long version (and this is gonna be a bit rambly, I think):
The movie looked great, a lot of the outer-space establishing shots looked really, really good. The only shot I didn't really like was the initial lander approach, the swell of the music and the CGI made it feel a little too Trek-reboot for my taste.
On the topic of the Covenant ship itself, I liked the designs and it was a bit more of a step in the "lived in" direction of 'Alien' than Prometheus was. There was still a fair share of high-tech CGI visual noise, but nothing as egregious as Prometheus. And yes I know the handwave with Prometheus is that it's a top of the line science ship, but it didn't make it feel any less out of place in an Alien movie.

The Neomorphs were sweet, I'm really glad they got some more mileage out of the Deacon concept art from 'Prometheus' that had it as basically an albino xenomorph. The CGI was pretty iffy a lot of the time, but in a world where we've got the Alien3 rod puppet, I wasn't THAT bothered by it. :v: Some of the Neomorph kills were loving crazy, my #1 pick goes to "nameless redshirt #7 gets his lower jaw slapped off by a razor-tail".

The bit with the Neomorph and David was great and creepy as hell, it's a strong contender for my favorite scene in the movie.

Like everyone else has said, every time David and/or Walter were on screen was great. Having said that, I think I prefer Walter over David - he was more interesting to watch in this movie. I think I'd have been more inclined to like David if the movie had done a bit more setup on his descent into "madness". Like yeah I get that he's obsessed with trying to create something, but I'd have liked to have seen a bit more character progression out of him regarding why he decided to virus-bomb the Engineers, or why he turned on Shaw. The way the movie presents it, he kinda came across as evil for evil's sake, and I think it'd have been more interesting to see that progression in more detail.

On the topic of character progression, I'm glad we got some more character interactions and diverse personalities than in 'Prometheus', but the movie still had a pretty bad case of red-shirt syndrome. Like yeah 'Aliens' had some characters who didn't do a whole lot, but Covenant had more than a couple characters who straight up weren't named and were only there to rack up the body count (even if their deaths were pretty nuts).
None of the characters felt particularly stupid, not even "horror movie stupid", aside from maybe the guy who put his face right up against a spore pod and took a deep breath. Like, I get that the spores are visible to the naked eye so the audience can follow what's going on, but that feels a bit hand-hold-ey and kinda compromises the character (whatever his name was) in the process. Beyond that, even when characters were acting in a blind panic (example: the lander destruction) it largely felt appropriate, like it did in 'Alien' and 'Aliens'.
Even Billy Crudup putting his face in the open egg didn't feel particularly egregious to me, mostly because David kept reassuring him that it was safe. You could tell there was some hesitation in his character, and that he likely wouldn't have stuck his face in there were it not for David coaxing him.

Also I got a chuckle out of all the green laser-sights. The only other movie I can think of where people definitely had guns with green laser sights was 'AvP', and that was a conscious design choice so that the audience always knew that "green laser = human gun, red laser = Predator targeting".
Were there green laser sights in 'Eraser'? I can't remember.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Engineer stuff, it feels like there was more interesting potential there that went unused. Like yeah, at the end of Prometheus, Shaw says she wants to go to the Engineer planet, but the planet in Covenant didn't really feel like an Engineer "homeworld". It felt like one city on a big planet, with some seemingly not technologically advanced Engineers. It does kind of raise some interesting philosophical points about the Engineers and their relationship with humanity (or lack thereof). If only a small subset of Engineers do science experiments and create new life forms (and then sometimes abandon them, or get all angry and try to purge them), does that justify indiscriminately genociding the poo poo out of all of them? One of the things I like about 'Prometheus' is the motif of being at the mercy of the whims of an uncaring universe that you can't control, and David sort of flips the roles by bio-nuking the Engineers, and I got the impression that a lot of the Engineer victims didn't comprehend what was happening to them or why.

I don't think David "invented" the Alien. I'm not even sure he was recreating something the Engineers did. A pet theory I had when Prometheus came out was that the Black Goo is a bioweapon that the Engineers derived somehow from the Alien, distilling some part of their "essence", such as their adaptability and mutagenic properties, into something the Engineers thought they could control. If anything, I think David was sort of "backing into" the Xenomorph through experimentation, but the creature he was creating still didn't look like an Alien as we know it. Literally every stage of its lifecycle looked physically different from the Alien we know, and I'm very sure that was a conscious decision on the part of the filmmakers.
In fact, I think it'd be an entertaining "gently caress you" to David's character and his ambitions if he THINKS he's creating something new and original, and in his narcissism, he doesn't recognize that he can't even do that right, and that he's just as flawed as his "creators".

Baby-Xeno-Groot was kinda goofy. Gimme that classic chestburster any day of the week.
Also, the Alien lifecycle felt really accelerated, especially that one guy why had a facehugger on his face for under 10 seconds but still managed to birth an Alien like an hour later.
The movie in general had issues with showing the passage of time - even some tweaking of dialogue would have gone a long way.

I'll probably post more as I think of it.

Edit--
David playing the literal soundtrack to Prometheus on the flute late in the movie felt like kinda weird fourth-wall breaking. Maybe I'm totally mis-remembering Prometheus, but the tune he plays is literally a recurring motif from the Prometheus score that plays prominently at the end of the movie.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 20, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Martman posted:

So, why does David think the final Xenomorph is the perfect one? It almost seems like it's particularly because it's a rape-monster rather than just a violent killer. David seems to have become kinda fixated on sexual reproduction, a bit like Ash in the first Alien. I dunno, I think it's an interesting explanation for that aspect of the Xenomorphs.

His life's work is opposite of him in every way, and that's a big part of it. He says he loved Shaw, but he could never experience sexual intimacy or reproduction with her. So he used her to produce a creature entirely conceptualized around a perverse reproductive cycle.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 20, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Which scenes?

The flute scene whenever they said innuendo and the ship scene with neomorph. In the later, they laughed when the blonde chick slipped and when she accidentally blew herself up.

Edit: Also when the guy was tricked into looking into the facehugger.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 20, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about the Engineer stuff, it feels like there was more interesting potential there that went unused. Like yeah, at the end of Prometheus, Shaw says she wants to go to the Engineer planet, but the planet in Covenant didn't really feel like an Engineer "homeworld". It felt like one city on a big planet, with some seemingly not technologically advanced Engineers.

I think its safe to assume that wasn't really the Engineer home-world, but rather another seeded world not unlike Earth. When David's Engineer ship arrive the dudes on the planet appear to be in a state of religious awe, like the gods have returned to them. They also looked a little different from Prometheus' Engineers.

Covok posted:

The flute scene whenever they said innuendo and the ship scene with neomorph. In the later, they laughed when the blonde chick slipped and when she accidentally blew herself up.

Edit: Also when the guy was tricked into looking into the facehugger.

Those all seemed intentionally humorous to me. Not sure why they wouldn't be. Especially David's double-entendres.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

Were there green laser sights in 'Eraser'? I can't remember.

I think you remember correctly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

I think its safe to assume that wasn't really the Engineer home-world, but rather another seeded world not unlike Earth. When David's Engineer ship arrive the dudes on the planet appear to be in a state of religious awe, like the gods have returned to them. They also looked a little different from Prometheus' Engineers.

Those all seemed intentionally humorous to me. Not sure why they wouldn't be. Especially David's double-entendres.

I'll give you the David scene, but I don't think gaffawing was the intent of the others.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was kinda convenient that all of them went outside to see the space ship and die though.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Was kinda convenient that all of them went outside to see the space ship and die though.

Like I said, they appear to be in a state of religious awe. Like their gods have just returned to them after a long absence. Its a clue that this is not an everyday occurrence for them, at least.

Covok posted:

I'll give you the David scene, but I don't think gaffawing was the intent of the others.

Why not?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Also why did all the f****** Xenomorphs reach maturity in like 10 seconds? Like it took no time at all. Also that one guy was facehugged for like 2 seconds and still chestbursted. I don't know that was just weird to me. But seriously why did they all reach maturity so fast?

It actually reminded me of Alien versus Predator in that way. In that, the aliens just mature stupidly fast.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Also why did all the f****** Xenomorphs reach maturity in like 10 seconds? Like it took no time at all. Also that one guy was facehugged for like 2 seconds and still chestbursted. I don't know that was just weird to me. But seriously why did they all reach maturity so fast?

To emphasize that they don't kill because they need nourishment to grow, they kill for the sake of it.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The passage of time was weird in this movie. It does set up early how it treats time when a character says the new planet is 2 weeks away and a few seconds later there's a cut to the ship approaching the planet.

I liked it overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

To emphasize that they don't kill because they need nourishment to grow, they kill for the sake of it.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I didn't get that vibe. It just felt kind of sloppy. Like I'm not a stickler for Cannon or what have you but it does feel inconsistent with the other movies. Like a Facehugger had a be on that guy for a day in the original. And the alien took quite a while to mature in the original. It just seems weird when that doesn't happen in the sequel. Call it what you will but it does make you go what when it happens.

Honestly, I didn't feel it made them seemed more ruthless. It just felt weird. Like he forgot how it worked in the original.