Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Apr. 11, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Apr. 11, 1985)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a power outage yesterday, so just saved yesterdays comics for todays.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

I really appreciate how this comic only uses the blonde's promiscuity as a set-up, not a punchline. It's too easy to go the other way.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Uh oh, looks like someone's salty today.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2000 Spiderman

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

2000 Spiderman

Right through a heavy glove. She's got a pretty good set of chompers!

Luann

Bernice, you are so terrible you are making me feel sorry for Luann. Stop it.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Bernice, you are so terrible you are making me feel sorry for Luann. Stop it.
Has Bernice actually done anything not terrible since the strip moved to college?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I have zero evidence to back this up, but I think Bernice getting more awful lines up with her becoming the de facto main character, which in turn roughly coincides with the younger Evans getting more control over the strip's direction. Before that she was mostly a bland hanger on sort.

Mark Trail

Nothing says creepy like college aged young men.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

GIMME AN N, GIMME A U, GIMME A T, GIMMES AN S

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

I have zero evidence to back this up, but I think Bernice getting more awful lines up with her becoming the de facto main character, which in turn roughly coincides with the younger Evans getting more control over the strip's direction. Before that she was mostly a bland hanger on sort.

I think there's some truth, some confirmation bias and also the fact that they cut a bunch of characters from junior high school. I don't know how they went from middle school to college.

Did they even write Delta out? They went from two tokens to one ish.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

:same:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

...and the pitch! posted:

Did they even write Delta out? They went from two tokens to one ish.

I want to say she ended up going to a different university, thus guaranteeing she would never be seen or heard from again.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

ZeeToo posted:

I really appreciate how this comic only uses the blonde's promiscuity as a set-up, not a punchline. It's too easy to go the other way.

Tina's Groove is one of the only strips that feels like it's actually written in 2017, and not just wedging jokes about selfies into 1983. I really like it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

There were two tokens, Delta and Rosa. Both were written out and the entire cast was a beautiful pearly white until enough comments were made about it that Team Evans were like, "Oh, poo poo, fine" and wrote Dez in.

The in-story reason for Delta's exit was that she went to another college. The IRL reason was that Greg thought she was boring and that there was nothing to write about her. And really, what stories are there to tell about a young black cancer survivor with a penchant for activism and social justice in this day and age?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

There were two tokens, Delta and Rosa. Both were written out and the entire cast was a beautiful pearly white until enough comments were made about it that Team Evans were like, "Oh, poo poo, fine" and wrote Dez in.

The in-story reason for Delta's exit was that she went to another college. The IRL reason was that Greg thought she was boring and that there was nothing to write about her. And really, what stories are there to tell about a young black cancer survivor with a penchant for activism and social justice in this day and age?

Good thing we got Bernice, who definitely isn't the concept of boredom given human shape at all

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Julet Esqu posted:

She got cancer?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Julet Esqu posted:

lol

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

To be fair, though, I don't think any of us want to see what kind of mess the Evanses would wind up creating trying to write a character who's active in social justice circles.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

catlord posted:

She got cancer?

She had Hodjkin's, but she got better.

Evil Mastermind posted:

To be fair, though, I don't think any of us want to see what kind of mess the Evanses would wind up creating trying to write a character who's active in social justice circles.

They would absolutely make a pig's ear out of it. Also there's no way they wouldn't have idiots whining in the comments that the strip's too liberal, no matter how mild they made her activism. I can see why they might be inclined to tiptoe around hotbutton issues. But none of this is the same as "she's super boring, there are no stories to tell."

Also I found this page today and I think it's my favorite thing I've seen in a little while.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Rosa definitely got the better write out and was the other token I mentioned. I just didn't want to give any credit to those lovely Gunther stories.

edit: I even know her last name since it is a tip of the cap to Sergio

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

My God, she's probably been in there for almost an hour now! What an ordeal!

Rex Morgan MD

I seriously don't remember if Beatty actually wrote out the teacher/administrator at a nursing school job or not. If I remember right it wasn't quite what she thought it would be I guess.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

My God, she's probably been in there for almost an hour now! What an ordeal!

what did locking her in the bathroom even accomplish

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Plot twist: she went to the bathroom to smoke.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what did locking her in the bathroom even accomplish
It was obviously intended to place doubt into Derek's mind as to his wife's capabilities and intelligence as part of a long-term gaslighting plan to end the marriage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
she's going to accuse the singer of having done it and Derek will call her crazy and paranoid, and then he'll leave her for the singer

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

i feel weird agreeing this much with a gocomics poster

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

It's been done.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I don't think you could lock someone in a bathroom like that without maintenance's key. It also seems like a fairly high stakes crime for just wanting to pull a little tail

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (February 27, 1952)

Nancy (April 15, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (December 13, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (January 11, 1924)

Lil' Abner (September 10, 1937)

Barney Google (January 12, 1923)

Alley Oop (April 13, 1934)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu posted:

We all know how rich a story-mine a cancer victim is though. Why, they could be filling an entire week with just the talk of organising a charity run.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Here we see the Vermonters eating dog poop.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 20, 2017

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
B.C.

Baldo

Wixard of Id

Big Nate

uhhhhh..... nate, you're not gonna like how this story ends.

Wallace the Brave still hasn't updated, so here's some randoms:

Curtis actually follows up on this storyline, neat:

Baby Blues

"Also it's less racist."

Vargo fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 20, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set likes to have a buffer.

Working Daze almost forgot... we're also going to need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix wants to know if you're cool.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend Midsummer Day Dreams (click for huge)

And He Did. (August, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (November, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (September, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (August, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (August, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (January, 1941)

Archie (January, 1956, click for big)

Tweedy (April, 1956, click for big)

Feiffer (1973, click for big)

Andy Capp (October, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1971, click for big)

Dick Tracy (September, 2001, click for big)

I missed this cutie.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What's a leftover crayon? Left over from what?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

random Viivi & Wagner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.