Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

hi liter posted:

I'm looking at purchasing the 24-105mm f/4L for professional video work, and I was wondering if there was any meaningful reason to consider buying the new version or if I can save 100 bucks and get the Mark I. Anyone have experience with the new version?

If the gap in price is "only" 100 bucks then get the II. Not a whole lot better for image quality but the IS and USM have been improved slightly and there is thankfully less distortion at the wide end. It is heavy though - noticeably beefier than the I version and almost as heavy as a 24-70 2.8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Yeah, if the price difference is only a hundo, I'd opt for the newer lens. They'll continue servicing it for longer, and hopefully it'll be more durable.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

On smaller Canon issues, has anyone dealt with the "Lens error" issue on an S100? I'm on vacation and probably going to attempt camera surgery to fix the faulty connector since otherwise my underwater housing is going unused, but a success story would be comforting. It should be humid enough to avoid ESD damage, so I'm only worried about damage during disassembly. :ohdear:

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

BetterLekNextTime posted:

There's the Sigma 8-16. It's a super fun lens.

e: if you ever want to use filters, stick with the 10-18 though.

you can get a square filter holder for the 8-16. big and fiddly, but screw-in grads are dumb anyway

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So I just got incredibly lucky and picked up a 5d mkiii for 1400 last night with 48k actuation. So I'm gonna sell off my crop frame camera and lenses. Is there an easy way to see which lens are compatible for full frame and which aren't?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
If it says EF-S then they are for crop frame cameras, EF is Canon's full-frame mount. Sigma APS-C lenses are marked DC (DG is their full-frame range), Tamron lenses are marked as DI for full frame and DI II for APS-C.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Thanks so much. I was not looking forward to googling the answers.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Don't EF-S lenses mount on the white square on crop bodies, and EF lenses mount on the red circle?

edit: which would mean that any lens with a white square near the mount is EF-S?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Infinite Karma posted:

Don't EF-S lenses mount on the white square on crop bodies, and EF lenses mount on the red circle?

edit: which would mean that any lens with a white square near the mount is EF-S?

Yes but, in contrast, not all EF lenses are full frame. Many 3rd party manufacturers use the EF mount regardless.

For example, my Tamron 17-55 is an EF mount but is for crop sensors only.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Third-party lenses tend to just have a red spot even for EF-S mount glass. I have Tamron and Sigma crop-sensor lenses and they don't have a white square, just a red dot.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Helen Highwater posted:

Third-party lenses tend to just have a red spot even for EF-S mount glass. I have Tamron and Sigma crop-sensor lenses and they don't have a white square, just a red dot.

That's because they're not EF-S mount. They're EF-S glass in an EF mount, hence the confusion.

You can safely attach those lenses to a full-frame camera, you'll just get ridiculous vignetting because the image circle they produce is only designed for a crop sensor.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Right, but for the purposes of ensuring that you aren't trying to fit an APS-C lens to a FF body, the point remains that you can't rely on the presence of a red dot/absence of a white square to indicate FF compatibility.

I can see why it makes sense for lens manufacturers to not have to tool up for an additional mount when the EF and EF-S mounts are mechanically compatible.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah agreed, and it's a pain.

Basically, based on looking at the lens alone, you can only ever say:
  • Red circle (Canon): will definitely work on full frame and crop sensor bodies
  • Red circle (other): will definitely work on a crop sensor body, might not work as intended on full frame bodies
  • Red circle + white square: will only mount on crop sensor bodies

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
The Tamron EF-S lenses use the EF mount, but they'll collide with your mirror if you mount them on a full-frame body. Watch yourself there.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

ArcMage posted:

The Tamron EF-S lenses use the EF mount, but they'll collide with your mirror if you mount them on a full-frame body. Watch yourself there.

The canon EF-S lens has a rubber bumper thing at the back to prevent this from happening by not letting you mounting the lens at all. As in the rubber bumper thing will literally come in contact with the mirror.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

ArcMage posted:

Not all of them - the Tamron 17-50 I've got fits full frame with no mirror issues but obviously takes heavily vingnetted shots.

The fact some of the collide with the mirror wasn't something I was aware of since I've only got that one example, so thanks for the info.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's one of the reasons that SLR camera manufacturers moved to the M42 mount back in the 1960s. A lot of m39 rangefinder glass had rear elements that were well inside the mirror box, so making them incompatible was part of the reason for the move.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

ArcMage posted:

I'm not saying this is impossible, but it's extremely unlikely. In order for that to be the case, it would mean Tamron was making special designs of each lens specifically for Canon APS-C cameras, because the other SLR mounts they crank out these lenses for usually (F, K, A) do not have any provision in their APS-C cameras for lenses that protrude into the mirror box like Canon does.

Considering that Tamron and Sigma profit and trade on the fact that they make the same lens for many systems, it's very unlikely that they are designing special Canon only versions.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 23, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

One of the memory card pins in my 50D is broke. The guy in the camera shop said to fix it they'd have to replace the entire motherboard, which would cost as much as I paid for the camera in the first place. Is this something I could take to the guy in the little appliance repair shop up the road and have him solder a new one on or am I hosed?

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Wafflecopper posted:

One of the memory card pins in my 50D is broke. The guy in the camera shop said to fix it they'd have to replace the entire motherboard, which would cost as much as I paid for the camera in the first place. Is this something I could take to the guy in the little appliance repair shop up the road and have him solder a new one on or am I hosed?

Is the pin broken off or just bent flat?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Broken

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I had to have the same operation done by a local Japanese camera repair shop. I think it was $100-$150 for a 30D six years ago. If the camera is mission critical/for jobs I don't think I'd trust random electronics repair shop dude.

With mom and pop places it is hard to guage. Do they advertise camera repair as a specialty?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

timrenzi574 posted:

I'm not saying this is impossible, but it's extremely unlikely. In order for that to be the case, it would mean Tamron was making special designs of each lens specifically for Canon APS-C cameras, because the other SLR mounts they crank out these lenses for usually (F, K, A) do not have any provision in their APS-C cameras for lenses that protrude into the mirror box like Canon does.

Considering that Tamron and Sigma profit and trade on the fact that they make the same lens for many systems, it's very unlikely that they are designing special Canon only versions.

Well I certainly may be misinformed, I seem to be good at that lately. :sigh:

Definitely they use the EF mount for everything, though.
Is yours marked Di II? Do they even make one that isn't?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

ArcMage posted:

Well I certainly may be misinformed, I seem to be good at that lately. :sigh:

Definitely they use the EF mount for everything, though.
Is yours marked Di II? Do they even make one that isn't?

I don't personally have any APS-C tamron lenses, but Di II is on anything they make for APS-C image circle (Di for any SLR, and Di III for mirrorless)

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

timrenzi574 posted:

I don't personally have any APS-C tamron lenses, but Di II is on anything they make for APS-C image circle (Di for any SLR, and Di III for mirrorless)

Yes, that was the question was whether there was a full-frame 17-50.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

ArcMage posted:

Yes, that was the question was whether there was a full-frame 17-50.

there is not

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

mrlego posted:

I had to have the same operation done by a local Japanese camera repair shop. I think it was $100-$150 for a 30D six years ago. If the camera is mission critical/for jobs I don't think I'd trust random electronics repair shop dude.

With mom and pop places it is hard to guage. Do they advertise camera repair as a specialty?

Nah they don't. They did a good job of fixing a lamp for me once though :v:

Camera's not critical or anything but I'd like to have a digital cam by the time I go hiking this (southern hemisphere) spring and trying to decide whether to get the 50D fixed or just buy a new camera

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

... spring and trying to decide whether to get the 50D fixed or just buy a new camera

What was the cost quote on fixing it legitly?

I am generally all for buying a new (used) refurb over fixing old digital cameras. Especially as the 50D is the edge of where newer bodies got video and the Flip out LCD screen, faster memory writes and whatever else.

mrlego fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 8, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

About $500 NZ, the same as what I paid for it. No way that's happening

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

That sounds really expensive to me (a non repair guy). Could you ask Canon for a ballpark quote on that body?

Otherwise I'd get another camera.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
The issue is the CF card reader pins in the 50D are most likely soldered directly to the mainboard, unlike in something like a 5D or 1D with a longer service life where they're attached via an easily-replaced cheap daughter board or flex cable. To replace them on the 50D you'd have to desolder the whole lot and resolder a new pin block.

As far as I know Canon (and most/all other major camera manufacturers) will just flat-out refuse to do any actual electronics repairs that involve replacing components on a board and instead quote you a replacement of the whole board, even when the repairs would be reasonable for a basic electronics workshop or moderately overequipped hobbyist to do.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I need a spare battery or two for my 5Dmk2. Official Canon batteries seem rather pricey, so I was kinda hoping to pick up an off-brand equivilant for a fraction of the price.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tried and tested third party battery? I'm seeing several on amazon, but reviews tend to be pretty polarizing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Sterlingtek are great and reliable. I've used them in all my cameras for nearly a decade with zero issues.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Verman posted:

Sterlingtek are great and reliable. I've used them in all my cameras for nearly a decade with zero issues.

Seconding this. I've got 4 backup SterlingTek batteries for my 5D3.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
So both Sigma and Tamron have new stabilized 24-70 2.8s coming out...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The sigma 24-70 2.8 has been coming out for a long time. I assumed the tamron would be as well.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Seamonster posted:

So both Sigma and Tamron have new stabilized 24-70 2.8s coming out...

Will they be ~weather sealed~ and able to survive a drop

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

Will they be ~weather sealed~ and able to survive a drop

Sigma no, Tamron yes.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
6Dii

26.2MP
AF: 45 points (up to 45 cross type), -3 EV
Drive: 6.5/sec
LCD screen is touch, swings out and articulates.
Video: 4K only in time lapse, otherwise 1080p at 60fps.
1 SD card slot.
MSRP: $1,999

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/dslr/eos-6d-mark-ii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
> be canon in the year 2017
> launch a brand new $2000 camera with no 4K