Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

rockcity posted:

I boiled my wort for a full 60 minutes post lacto souring so they shouldn't be outright competing, but it was down to 3.3 pH which I know plays a role in fermentation. Everything I'd heard though never talked about lag time specifically, but more of that it stresses the yeast and can sometimes cause a stuck fermentation. Actually come to think of it, more of the discussion I've heard has been in regards to bottle conditioning and that some people have had issues of bottles that never carbonated. There was a brewery on the sour hour that talked about how for their bottle conditioning yeast, they actually temper it by adding in a certain percentage of already soured beer into their yeast starters so that it acclimates. I'd be real curious to hear more on what people have seen in regards to primary fermentation and lag times.

You can definitely acclimate your yeast to a lower ph. Follow the instructions​ that milk the funk has for acclimating the bottle conditioning yeast, but propagate it up to a pitchable volume. You can also just repeatedly pitch a blend of lacto and sacc, after a few generations your sacc will not care so much about the ph.

There are a lot of ways to do it. You can copitch the sacc with the lacto or pitch lacto after sacc and avoid the problem entirely (MTF reverse sour method). You will get slightly different results each way. The lower ph limits attenuation and ester production. Lag time follows suit as it's just a harsher environment for the yeast to grow.

If you are trying to make a neutral, not sure dry sour beer you can use this to your advantage and pitch a highly attenuative yeast like a Saison yeast. The pH will limit the esters and attenuative to the point where you will never know it wasnt something cleaner like us-05.

Or use Brett for primary, as it doesn't care about pH until it's undrinkably sour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks, that's good reading. For this one I wanted to boil it after souring to keep it clean for my keg lines as I'm not bottling this one. If I were bottling it I would have just co-pitched everything and let them fight it out in there. Either way it's ripping along steadily now, so I'm not worried. It was just stressful seeing nothing after a full 24 hours. All my souring/wild beers so far I've sacc fermented first so this was new territory.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
This won't help much, but I've noticed a drop in the "efficiency" of bottle conditioning carbonation after kettle souring. The last 2 I've made were shot for 3 volumes and I'd be surprised if they're at 2.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

This won't help much, but I've noticed a drop in the "efficiency" of bottle conditioning carbonation after kettle souring. The last 2 I've made were shot for 3 volumes and I'd be surprised if they're at 2.

It's interesting you say that, because for the co-pitched batch I just did it was carbonated (albeit overly because I did bad math) in a week. It's very much at what should be expected for the priming sugar I used. I have a second set of plastics for sours though, so I don't see myself doing a kettle sour when it would essentially make me get out my equipment twice instead of just the once.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

rockcity posted:

I boiled my wort for a full 60 minutes post lacto souring so they shouldn't be outright competing, but it was down to 3.3 pH which I know plays a role in fermentation. Everything I'd heard though never talked about lag time specifically, but more of that it stresses the yeast and can sometimes cause a stuck fermentation. Actually come to think of it, more of the discussion I've heard has been in regards to bottle conditioning and that some people have had issues of bottles that never carbonated. There was a brewery on the sour hour that talked about how for their bottle conditioning yeast, they actually temper it by adding in a certain percentage of already soured beer into their yeast starters so that it acclimates. I'd be real curious to hear more on what people have seen in regards to primary fermentation and lag times.

Oh sorry I didn't realize you killed the lacto. I let mine ferment side by side with the lecto getting a 72 hour head start.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So I did a pretty strong Amber beer recently that got down to 1.006 and sat there for a week so I kegged it up and carbed it. Came out waaaay too sweet.

Took it out and released the pressure and dumped 4 vials of brett into it I had that were right passed expired.

It's now going absolutely ballistic. I have hopes for some very nice Brett character now that I can dump into one of my sour barrels to age.

I also took some tastes from the sour barrel and it tastes great but not sour enough. So I hit it with 3 vials of melange. We will see if the shot of pedio and Brett can move it along. I'm going to be topping this barrel off with the beer mentioned above when gravity stabilizes so we will see how it goes.

The brett cider in the 5 gallon barrel hit the one year mark. Its pretty drat good. Going to bottle it up still in wine bottles.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
1.006 was too sweet? How does that even happen?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Errant Gin Monks has a sour tongue

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
It has been awhile since I last brewed a beer so my timing may be off but when should I start dry hopping and aim to bottle a pale session ale?

We brewed the Citra Session pale ale all grain kit from Morebeer.
Recipe:
Grain bill
8 lbs California Select Malt
1 lb Crystal 10L
.5 lb Carapils

Hop schedule
.5 oz. Magnum - 60
1 oz. Citra - 10
2 oz. Citra - flameout
1 oz. Citra - dry hop

The beer has been fermenting for about 10 days now. I think i have a crack in my bucket lid because my airlock hasn't bubbled at all but I carefully opened the lid on day 3 after pitching and saw a krausen formed. Unfortunately I don't have a hydrometer handy (I have to pick one up, it broke the day we brewed) to check the gravity but I was thinking of letting the beer sit in primary for at least 3 weeks then transfer to secondary to dry hop for a week and bottle. I know transferring to a secondary is not necessary but with the cracked lid I figured I'd get a better seal if I transferred to my carboy.

Does this timeline sound right? should I let it sit shorter/longer?

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I'd throw the dry hops in now then package 3-4 days later . With hoppy beers I usually bottle 2 weeks after brew day and I still feel like that's too long.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is there any reason to let beer sit in the fermenter once it's finished? Like if it gets down to 1.002 within a week can you just bottle it then?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is there any reason to let beer sit in the fermenter once it's finished? Like if it gets down to 1.002 within a week can you just bottle it then?

If the gravity is consistent and unmoving, you can package. Not really a lot of reasons to leave it waiting. You're only increasing the amount of time before you get to drink it.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

Like with all things homebrewing there's no right or wrong answer. Personally I like to give everything a bit of extra time on the yeast to clean up things like diacetyl, acetaldehyde, and other green beer flavors. When fermentation is done I'll take it out of the fermentation chamber and let it sit at room temperature for 3 or 4 days before kegging.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

internet celebrity posted:

Like with all things homebrewing there's no right or wrong answer. Personally I like to give everything a bit of extra time on the yeast to clean up things like diacetyl, acetaldehyde, and other green beer flavors. When fermentation is done I'll take it out of the fermentation chamber and let it sit at room temperature for 3 or 4 days before kegging.

Cool, I'll take more measurements on the next batch instead of just letting it sit for a month.

I bottled last wednesday so I cracked one open last night and while still green, it tasted pretty decently. Just want to mention that mosaic was a weird choice for a saison and I like it but won't do it again. The only noticeable thing the heat did was to make it hazier than the first batch.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

1.002? Pretty much no sacc yeast is getting that low unless you started at like 1.020 and made some crazy low ABV beer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

rockcity posted:

1.002? Pretty much no sacc yeast is getting that low unless you started at like 1.020 and made some crazy low ABV beer.

3711 and started at 1.060

I wish I was joking.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I just checked so beers that are at 1.005 and 1.006. Nottingham will rip your beer right down.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wish I was joking.

That yeast is a crazy attenuator.

There are a few yeasts notorious for appearing finished and then waking up and causing bottle bombs (Belle Saison and 3724) but most of them are done if the gravity hasn't moved for a few days. As long as there is no diacetyl or sulfur you can bottle.

If you are bottling or if you care a lot about clarity you can do a cold crash near freezing for a few days. It doesn't matter if it's going in a keg because you will blow all the sediment out on the first few pours after it's been in the fridge.

The only things I will leave in the fermenter more than a few weeks are aged sours, but if you're not fruiting, barrel aging or blending, even those will have less risk of oxidation if you can get them into a sealed bottle when gravity is stable, which can be as early as 1-3mo in.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

rockcity posted:

1.006 was too sweet? How does that even happen?

I don't know. It's just way too sweet. I don't like it. That being said I think the Brett will knock this way down since they can get everything the sacc doesn't.

JawKnee posted:

Errant Gin Monks has a sour tongue

There is also this. I love sours.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wish I was joking.

Jesus tapdancing christ. I mean, I know that's a monster of a yeast, but that is like over 96% attenuation. There had to be some sugar in there or something, but even still.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

rockcity posted:

Jesus tapdancing christ. I mean, I know that's a monster of a yeast, but that is like over 96% attenuation. There had to be some sugar in there or something, but even still.

Maybe I didn't look close enough to get a specific number but yeah it's really that low, doesn't help that I let it ferment at room temp and for about 4 days it was at about 90F.

2nd batch was done on 4/2 and bottled 5/10 so for the 3rd batch I'll check on it at the two week mark and see how things are. I kinda like my "fire and forget" lazy man's 4 week single fermentation plan but I would like to eventually add in unmalted grains and a brett/lacto/pedio mix so that would benefit from reracking.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

My yeast bay order is here and got in with 3 free vials of May 6, 2017 dated super high gravity ale. How convenient that I was looking for something to get rid of bulk grain on hand :getin: smoked black barleywine is going to happen.

Also got my vials of Franconian dark lager to trial run with my smoked foreign extra stout. P excited after the last time I used it in a Baltic Porter. I found one bottle stashed away recently from 2015 and holy hell it aged well

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
That Franconian yeast might be my favorite yeast ever. The dunkel I made with it might be one of the few recipes I would not change a thing on and will probably be my first exact re-brew ever this fall.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I'm actually getting away from US-05 because most of my beers have been too dry, like in the 1.005/6 range. That yeast kinda hosed up my tart blueberry pale ale because it's missing a little residual sweetness.

I got really into Oscar Blues' Pinner, which IMO is sort of a benchmark for dry session IPAs, but now I find it a bit unsatisfying.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

My girlfriend wants me to brew a Kolsch-style beer. I currently lack a lagering fridge. What sort of temperatures and lagering regimes have you guys had in making a Northern German ale like that?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I'm just getting ready to do a Kolsch myself. The ferment should be in the high 60s, cold crash before packaging, then store as close to freezing as you can. If you're bottling, you'll want to keep it at ferment temps for a couple of weeks to carbonate before the lagering stage, of course.

It's going to be hard to do without a lagering fridge, but if you had a cold cellar or something like that, you might get away with it. In my experience, this beer really starts to pop after a few weeks of lagering.

Make sure you use the right yeast - recommendations are WLP029, WY2565, WY1007, WY2575-PC

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Must be Kolsch time, I've got one on deck too. Gonna use some 34/70.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Love me a good Kolsch. I'm about done with the cream ale I did with Kolsch yeast. That beer is just stupid drinkable.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It may be Kolsch time for you guys, but it's Saison time for me. It's been in the 80s already consistently, so I'm going to just roll with it and start fermenting things at the hot end of the spectrum.

Must start with a Rye Saison with 3711. Then I expect I'll do a golden ale with a strain of Brett from Cantillon. Then something (just pils? pils/munich?) with 3724. And probably a Belgian Pale Ale with 1214 fermented hot for all that juicy fruit goodness.

I really need to switch to kegs for most of this. I have very little desire to bottle everything I want to brew in the next four months.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jhet posted:

Must start with a Rye Saison with 3711.

Let me know how that goes, I'm thinking of one day using unmalted rye as a way to fuel some brett/lacto secondary fermentation.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Speaking of saison yeast, I just bottled mine after letting it hang out in the ferm chamber for a couple weeks.

Even though I'd hit FG of 1.014 a couple weeks ago (consistent readings 24 hours apart, maybe 7-10 days in), apparently that F wasn't as F as I'd thought because the hydrometer was reading 1.009 when I went to bottle it. I'd unplugged the heater a few weeks ago so it probably cooled to ~16C, but that wouldn't be enough to throw the hydrometer reading 5 points.

I have heard about some saison strains "waking up" later and continuing a ferment, can anyone enlighten me on this? It makes me pretty paranoid about brewing more of them, since I don't keg. (Background history: the last time I brewed a saison I had a bottle explode, assumed it was an infection).

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 19, 2017

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Speaking of saison yeast, I just bottled mine after letting it hang out in the ferm chamber for a couple weeks.

Even though I'd hit FG of 1.014 a couple weeks ago (consistent readings 24 hours apart, maybe 7-10 days in), apparently that F wasn't as F as I'd thought because the hydrometer was reading 1.009 when I went to bottle it. I'd unplugged the heater a few weeks ago so it probably cooled to ~16C, but that wouldn't be enough to throw the hydrometer reading 5 points.

I have heard about some saison strains "waking up" later and continuing a ferment, can anyone enlighten me on this? It makes me pretty paranoid about brewing more of them, since I don't keg.

Which strain? The dupont strain is the one notorious for that. Most of the other ones are rippers and just tear the hell through wort.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
New Beer on tap, readying up for a party at my place, and I wanted to use a new hop variety on a session Pale Ale.

I picked a new hop called Denali (aka Supernugget) with a 1oz 15min, 1oz Flameout/Whirlpool, 2oz Dryhop addition. I'm a little underwhelmed - kinda unremarkable compared to a lot of the new hop varietals out there, but it's a really solid beer. I think I've hit that magic spot where I can just make a solid beer without trying.

I'm rebrewing this on Saturday and I think I'm gonna switch up the dryhop with Citra/other hops.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 19, 2017

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Let me know how that goes, I'm thinking of one day using unmalted rye as a way to fuel some brett/lacto secondary fermentation.

It works well, and the rye (malted) is a nice flavor note. It's easy drinking and just lightly spicy. I make it and aim for 6% which is a bit high for a lawnmower beer (it tends to attenuate lower and push ABV higher), but it drinks like one so I may start making it a little lower on the OG. It can be crazy fast too, but raise the temp at the end to make sure it finishes.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

rockcity posted:

You mix 3711 with some Brett and an amylolytic LAB such as Lactobacillus Plantarum and you'll generally see sub-1.000 hyperattenuation.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Biomute posted:

You mix 3711 with some Brett and an amylolytic LAB such as Lactobacillus Plantarum and you'll generally see sub-1.000 hyperattenuation.

Oh definitely. I was just talking about a pure sacc fermentation. 96% is nuts for that unless you're fermenting like half simple sugars.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

rockcity posted:

Oh definitely. I was just talking about a pure sacc fermentation. 96% is nuts for that unless you're fermenting like half simple sugars.

I was not saying you were wrong to call it crazy, it certainly is nuts and I love it for it. I was just putting it out there that if one was inclined (and I am) one can take it even further! :twisted:

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Man do I love Melanoidin. Single Hop Session Pale Ale for a party I'm throwing next month. This is the test batch.

6lb 2 Row
2lb Melanoidin
1lb Corn Masa

60min Boil

1oz Denali @ 15min
1oz Denali Whirlpool
2oz Denali Dryhop

WLP013 London Ale Yeast

From previous beers I've done like this, it'll clear up in a couple months but this beer won't last that long. Oh well.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

10 lbs Belgian 2 Row
1.5 lbs Special B
1.5 lbs Pale Chocolate Malt
1.5 oz US Goldings (60)
1 oz Saaz (30)
WLP 530 Abbey Ale

This abbey-ale inspired brew hit 2 weeks in the bottle today and I cracked one open. loving delicious. Drinkable and flavorful. Very noticeable dried fruit note from the Special B which I like. I decided against any sort of chocolate extract in the bottle, although I did make some homemade that I can put a little bit in a beer and see how it tastes.

I'm sitting on a lot of homebrew right now so it's going to be a little while before my next one, but I bought a one gallon growler that uses a CO2 cartridge so I can actually force carb and serve after a couple days the first gallon of the next batch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I know a Kolsch ought to use noble hops, but the brew shop had Mandarina Bavaria in stock and I decided to jump on it. Setting up for brew day now.