Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
speaking of diseases:

subpar anachronism posted:

I had to be out of the country for three months to get surgery in the US (weird insurance thing) and was the only one who really cooked in my two-goon house. My partner got doctor-diagnosed scurvy towards the end of my stay just from eating like crap so I absolutely believe the common goon is capable of clinical scurvy.
eta: I made fun of him relentlessly for this and he eats healthfully more frequently now (and takes a vitamin c supplement)

InequalityGodzilla posted:

True story, in college one of the guys on the same level of my dorm had decided that he hated fruits and vegetables and decided that, since he was no longer under his parent's watchful eyes, he was no longer going to eat them. About 3 months after the year started he went to the campus health center complaining about constant tiredness and bruising easily. They told him to go to a real doctor because they didn't know what the gently caress.

The idiot turned out to have scurvy.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683302&pagenumber=25&perpage=40#post438880770

quote:

I had a friend in college who subsisted entirely on lovely dollar store ramen and pop, he ended up getting scurvy and all the doctor told him was "eat a goddamn orange you loving idiot" in the nicest possible terms.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683302&pagenumber=25&perpage=40#post438871011

quote:

I'm amazed that modern day soldiers are suffering from an easily avoidable medical condition that has been known about at least as far back as Napoleonic times. But then again I've heard of college students getting scurvy because of their poor diets so I guess anything's possible.

Edit: Snopes doubts that it happens but my housemate went to uni with a guy who decided to only eat meat pies and drink beer for a few months and definitely came down with scurvy. Apparently some medical experts flew in just to check him out due to the novelty factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I would think even a college student eating a garbage diet would pick up enough Vitamin C here or there to prevent their teeth from falling out. I mean gently caress, a fistful of froot loops probably has enough Vitamin C to keep you going.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah even I avoid Scurvy and im neurotic enough that I get upset even just touching most greens

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Well according to a cursory google search and the really goofily named website, you need about 60 mg of Vitamin C a day to prevent scurvy

A small orange is worth 51 mg but why would you do that when you can eat five whole pizzas like a real college kid.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Goddamn CHICKEN NUGGETS have vitamin C in them, how are these nerds dying?!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah even I avoid Scurvy and im neurotic enough that I get upset even just touching most greens
Please elaborate thanks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Supposedly Carlsberg brewery workers all got scurvy when it became illegal to use additives in beer in Denmark. Apparently they had subsisted on a diet consisting entirely of beer (which were free for employees for decades; I think there's a limit now).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I feel like most of the scurvy stories are just "a friend of a friend told me..." or "well, apparently..." urban legends that get spread around as truth. Maybe a small handful are true but I would bet a lot of money that the majority are just people who went to webmd and said "well, I guess I have some of these symptoms" and diagnosed themselves.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Please elaborate thanks.

I have a mild(?) Plant phobia. Like if I eat pizza and I feel the little basil or whatever it is on my tongue I'll pick it out because I'm not comfortable swallowing it. My life is very tedious

necroid
May 14, 2009

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I have a mild(?) Plant phobia. Like if I eat pizza and I feel the little basil or whatever it is on my tongue I'll pick it out because I'm not comfortable swallowing it. My life is very tedious

Plants are food, not friends!

Edit: jk, some are definitely not food, and I like to think some are friends :3:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

They need to be mashed into something unrecognizable mess like boneless meat, and cheetos

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

They need to be mashed into something unrecognizable mess like boneless meat, and cheetos

I'm pretty certain you can't mash plants into boneless meat and cheetos.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Have you done exposure therapy or anything?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Nah that's low on my priority list of brain problems

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm pretty certain you can't mash plants into boneless meat and cheetos.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FactsAreUseless posted:

Type 2 used Insulin!

It's not very effective...

Diabetes: The RPG ("Real Problems with Glucose")

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Welcome to the 21st century.

I'm all the lies printed on the packaging.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
http://www.somethingawful.com/rom-pit/captain-novolin/

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

This can't be a real thing. How can you be afraid of plants.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
poor ol' Goon, thought of plants and died

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Who What Now posted:

phobias are irrational, that's kind of the whole point

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Who What Now posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_phobias?wprov=sfla1

Shout out to vestiphobia for being real

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. Phobias are irrational, and it's not cool to mock them. It's really frustrating for someone to know they shouldn't be afraid of something and have no logical reason to be, but react involuntarily every time they are exposed to it :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snak posted:

Yeah. Phobias are irrational, and it's not cool to mock them. It's really frustrating for someone to know they shouldn't be afraid of something and have no logical reason to be, but react involuntarily every time they are exposed to it :(

Not all of them are irrational.
:goonsay:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not all of them are irrational.
:goonsay:

They are by definition.

If it's a thing to be rationally afraid of then the severity of the reaction is irrational for it to be a phobia

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What is this skullmund thing and why do I keep seeing goons freak out over it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
skullmunds are almonds that are shaped like skulls.

(I have no idea what Skullmund is either)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

poptart_fairy posted:

What is this skullmund thing and why do I keep seeing goons freak out over it.

It's an off-site version of GBS made by the guys Zen Death Robot perma-probated.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I mean... it's not on the list you just linked.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Who What Now posted:

It's an off-site version of GBS made by the guys Zen Death Robot perma-probated.

How many terrible offsites have these forums generated by now?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I mean... it's not on the list you just linked.

That's huge I mentioned it and totally not because I assumed Wikipedia is more comprehensive than it is like all morons

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That's huge I mentioned it and totally not because I assumed Wikipedia is more comprehensive than it is like all morons

I did google it and found a reddit ama that is definitely an 18 year old girl afflicted with this phobia and totally not at all some dude furiously jerkin' it while typing

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

Ah, fair enough.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Andrast posted:

How many terrible offsites have these forums generated by now?

Including 4chan?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

So, like, do you just become non functional if you see a lawn? Do trees horrify you? Or does it just extend to edible plants?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGIMd3_LfY

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I feel like most of the scurvy stories are just "a friend of a friend told me..." or "well, apparently..." urban legends that get spread around as truth. Maybe a small handful are true but I would bet a lot of money that the majority are just people who went to webmd and said "well, I guess I have some of these symptoms" and diagnosed themselves.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I would like to clarify that in the case of my story the doctor had said the guy was suffering from "Severe Vitamin C Deficiency" which pretty much everyone else on the floor immediately started saying was basically scurvy. He wasn't quite at the bleeding gums stage, but given another month without seeing a doctor...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My idiot older brother got gout when he was like 40 I mean what the gently caress.