Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What the heck Inland Empire is incredibly long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

INLAND EMPIRE is the only Lynch movie I've hated. I keep thinking I should give it another chance but then I remember that three hour runtime and how I dislike the general look of the movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

INLAND EMPIRE is the only Lynch movie I've hated. I keep thinking I should give it another chance but then I remember that three hour runtime and how I dislike the general look of the movie.

I hate to say it, but I feel the same way. I appreciate that Lynch likes the freedom of digital, but I hate when movies look like they were filmed with digital camcorders, and Inland Empire is one of the worst offenders of this. I need to give it another chance, but it's an exhausting experience sitting down with that movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What the heck Inland Empire is incredible.

The name of the film is INLAND EMPIRE

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
INLAND EMPIRE in cinema without any distraction is something else entirely. Together with Eraserhead it's my favorite Lynch.

GoldenGun fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 18, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yep. One of my top 10 filmgoing experiences ever.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What beats it to the top?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My goondolences on only having seen 10 films in the cinema. :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

What beats it to the top?

Only a few things like Dawn of the Dead on 35mm, restoration of Metropolis, Taxi Driver at a midnight screening, opening weekend of Blair Witch Project.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

when i worked at the ifc center a few years ago the management let me know that david was adamant about INLAND EMPIRE being capitalized in all programming material (and also mulholland dr being stylized as such a la sunset blvd)

the more i sit with it the more i think its easily his best movie, and a turning point in digital filmmaking. its probably the only american movie shot digitally which advances the project of european modernism into the 21st century.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 19, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can't think of many movies that utilize smeary SD video like he does in !!!INLAND EMPIRE!!!!, except maybe Dancer in the Dark.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't think of many movies that utilize smeary SD video like he does in !!!INLAND EMPIRE!!!!, except maybe Dancer in the Dark.

28 Days Later, just sticking to studio productions.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bamboozled.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Bad Lieutenant POC:NO had some here and there.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Miguel Ferrer died from cancer today.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Franchescanado posted:

WHAT

:( RIP Albert

Edit: that was not a Gordon Cole reference; I was legitimately shocked

david_a fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 19, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

WHAT

:( RIP Albert

I know. Albert's reveal is one of the best moments in the whole show.

He's still going to be in Season 3 (along with Catherine Coulson) though!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Dammit, Carrie Fisher died the day my wife and I saw Rogue One, and now Miguel Ferrer dies just after we started watching Twin Peaks.

Bitches, he left. :(

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Franchescanado posted:

:(

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

happy birthday david :)

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

GoldenGun posted:

INLAND EMPIRE in cinema without any distraction is something else entirely. Together with Eraserhead it's my favorite Lynch.

Yep, I saw it for the first time earlier this year in a mostly empty theater and it was genuinely harrowing. I can't imagine watching it at home on DVD would even come close to that experience. It's my second favorite Lynch after MD just based on the experience of seeing it in the cinema.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Wizard Master posted:

Yep, I saw it for the first time earlier this year in a mostly empty theater and it was genuinely harrowing. I can't imagine watching it at home on DVD would even come close to that experience. It's my second favorite Lynch after MD just based on the experience of seeing it in the cinema.

Not as harrowing as your post history, forums poster Wizard Master.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Red Letter Media reviews FWWM in advance of TP series 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1bbjXCfyY

E: BTW, to avoid spoilers I'm going to duck out of this thread until I've seen TP S3 on DVD.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 20, 2017

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Radio Spiricom posted:

when i worked at the ifc center a few years ago the management let me know that david was adamant about INLAND EMPIRE being capitalized in all programming material (and also mulholland dr being stylized as such a la sunset blvd)

the more i sit with it the more i think its easily his best movie, and a turning point in digital filmmaking. its probably the only american movie shot digitally which advances the project of european modernism into the 21st century.

i was there opening night, and then five more times

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would love to read more on IE. I can pretty much only watch it as a mood piece.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
INLAND EMPIRE happens exactly as it happens.

I got to see Mulholland Drive on 35mm last week and it was amazing. 35mm is always cool but having the big-screen packed-audience experience with Mulholland Drive is super overwhelming, it felt like getting high on fumes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
So then folks, what did we think?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

DrVenkman posted:

looooooooooved it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

I saw Episodes 1/2 in theaters and loved it. Waiting to see 3/4 in theaters again in Sunday.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I am mixed...

As a Lynch work I loved it.

As a fan of Twin Peaks and I'm not sold yet. One thing I loved about the original series was that it reigned in Lynch's insanity and that somehow made it even creepier.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

York_M_Chan posted:

I am mixed...

As a Lynch work I loved it.

As a fan of Twin Peaks and I'm not sold yet. One thing I loved about the original series was that it reigned in Lynch's insanity and that somehow made it even creepier.

I think episode 3 is really going to make it or break it for a lot of people. It...goes places.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

I feel like its a version of INLAND EMPIRE where I have an actual way in, and am able to really appreciate it as a result. I was glued to my screen for four straight hours.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
HeellllooooOOOOOoooooo!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I was front row at this back in 2015 and didn't realise it had been uploaded online. It's a really solid hour of Lynch talkin' about Lynch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGd6lnYTTY8

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I watched Lost Highway for the first time last night. Can anyone tell me what happened in it?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Watch it again until it makes sense.

Dude kills his wife and then recedes into his subconscious and creates a new identity to deny that he is capable of murder.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I watched Lost Highway for the first time last night. Can anyone tell me what happened in it?

Some real rear end poo poo happened

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Watch it again until it makes sense.

Dude kills his wife and then recedes into his subconscious and creates a new identity to deny that he is capable of murder.

Hm. I enjoyed it a lot, but I didn't really "get" it. I guess I'll have to do a rewatch after I see Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Hm. I enjoyed it a lot, but I didn't really "get" it. I guess I'll have to do a rewatch after I see Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire.

I've seen it about half a dozen times, and there are whole parts that I don't "get", and I'm okay with that. Good luck with INLAND EMPIRE, it's way more dense/obtuse than Lost Highway. Mulholland Drive is fun, but I think Lost Highway is slightly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

I've seen it about half a dozen times, and there are whole parts that I don't "get", and I'm okay with that. Good luck with INLAND EMPIRE, it's way more dense/obtuse than Lost Highway. Mulholland Drive is fun, but I think Lost Highway is slightly better.

It seems like anticipating a certain degree of obfuscation and just being able to enjoy the weirdness in the moment is the key to enjoying David Lynch films. I was curious if there was a "secret" to Lost Highway, but now that I've heard it I think I might just be too dumb.

• Locked thread