Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

that is some powerful logic.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

There is a review on a forum called AVP galaxy that I really liked:

quote:

Just saw Alien: Covenant last night. After viewing it, I was impressed with how everything is starting to connect with the entire Alien universe. This connection is occurring at both a plot and thematic/philosophical level. I was particularly stunned at how Scott was still able to thread the philosophical nature of Prometheus with pacing/horror of the original series - all in an attempt to assuage Prometheus' critics.

Let's look at some key elements:

David's name and birth - Why call Fassbender's android David? Many speculated that this follows the series' alphabetical android naming process. We have Ash (letter A) in Alien, Bishop in Aliens/Alien 3 (Letter B), and Call in Alien: Resurrection (letter C). Prometheus follows the pattern by giving the letter D it's due. However, Alien: Covenant breaks this pattern with Walter (letter W). Why?

Part 1:
We learn that David is named after the famous Michelangelo statue. This greatly changes the meaning of his name. The David statue is important on two levels:

1) it represents the Renaissance's physical representation of the ideal man. Just as David, the android, represents Weyland's "ideal" creation/son.

2) It foreshadows the critical importance of David's actions. The David statue is modeled after the Biblical character (religious themes like in Prometheus). David, the mere weakling, destroys the giant, more powerful Goliath. This parallels David's actions with both the death of the engineers (the Goliaths or giants) and his intent to kill mankind (the other Goliaths, his masters/creators). The unlikely android servant becomes a god just as the Biblical character becomes an unlikely victor.

The question is: was this the plan from the start? Was this Scott's plan with Prometheus? It all ties in. The name has nothing to do with an alphabetical nature (as evidenced by Walter) - David's name comes from a place of deeper meaning planted in Prometheus.

Part 2

Ozymandias, Shelley, and Frankenstein

Along with the David statue, another major artistic reference is Percy Shelley's Ozymandias poem. The poem refers to the decline of a great civilization (Ancient Egypt). David recites a line from the poem when dropping the black ooze (or black oil from The X-Files if you prefer ). So, David is destroying the empire of the engineers just as referenced in the poem. He is also intent on destroying the other declining civilization - mankind. He references this in his conversation with Walter stating something along the lines of "why are they leaving earth, looking for colonies - they are in decline and shouldn't be allowed to restart."

However, there is a multiple layer of deep meaning in the Ozymandias choice:

1) David mistakenly claims that the poem is written by Byron. This is CRITICALLY IMPORTANT - on a surface level, it shows that David is not programmed correctly, which explains his many violent actions.

On a deeper level, it highlights David's totally incongruous actions. Byron was actually an outspoken critic of "automation" - he claimed it would hurt mankind. Yet, David admires Byron (albeit erroneously) - just as he kills Shaw, yet clearly loves her. He is like a robotic Jekyll and Hyde. He serves Weyland, yet undermines him. He kisses Walter, yet tries to destroy him. He kisses Daniels, before he attempts to murder her.

2) Percy Shelley, author of Ozymandias, was married to Mary Shelley, author of Frankenstein. Frankenstein, of course, is about the horrors of creation, the horrors of Man playing God. This lines up thematically with the prequel series - when Man plays God (Weyland creates AI) horrible things happen.

What's important about the Shelley connection? Many claim that Percy may have co-written Frankenstein. Does anyone know what the original title of Frankenstein was - The Modern Prometheus

So again, the seeds of Covenant and its plot are thematically connected to Prometheus. To some extent, by giving the title Prometheus to the first prequel, we were destined to have the plot in Covenant - the engineers were never (thematically) going to make sense as creators of the Xenomorph. I know this may hurt the perceptions of some fans - but look at the threads - the prequel series is a futuristic Frankenstein or (Futuristic "Modern Prometheus").

It is mankind's actions (AI creation) that lead to the horrors. The Frankenstein monster (David) turns against its creator. Scott and crew just make the Frankenstein monster, David, become another creator in his act of revenge on mankind.

Part 3

Who is Prometheus?

We all know the tale of Prometheus by now. So who is Prometheus? I will contend that Elizabeth Shaw is in fact "Prometheus" - it is why she is the lead of the first prequel and why she must be deceased in the second prequel.

Prometheus, a god (creator species), gives the power of making fire (ability to start civilization) to mankind (created species). For this action, Prometheus is chained eternally and tortured.

Elizabeth Shaw, a human (creator species) gives android David (created species) power by reattaching his head and granting him access to the Engineer ship(ability to start civilization/create life). For this action, Elizabeth Shaw is taxidermied/turned into a stuffed animal (chained eternally/tortured).

Conclusion (I know, finally)

So, all of the themes/references in Prometheus actually connect quite well in Covenant, despite the fact that the film feels more like an "Alien" movie. I'm impressed with how this was all done and wonder if this was planned all along or if they've been able to connect the dots as they go.

I've read some of the fan criticisms and respect the viewpoints. But from a thematic perspective, this was the direction they seemed to be heading in since Prometheus. Shaw was never going to be the lead for the entirety of the prequel series and David was always going to play the critical role in the creation story.

Now since the Xenomorph origin has been largely revealed and philosophical connections have been made, we are left with two major PLOT points moving forward:

1) How does the company learn about the Xenomorph and why/who wants it?

2) How does the original derelict/Space Jockey wind up in the condition of the original Alien?

Thoughts?

He's right, David is the main anchor of the prequel series, and his story clearly embodies the philosophical themes that Scott is pursuing. I love the significance of David getting the poem's author wrong; and the whole impact of David speaking with Weyland in the beginning. I really enjoy how smart the prequel series is.

I really need to see this again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Plus David's rage at his creators, as a Prometheus stand-in, is pretty understandable. Prometheus steals fire from the gods but that "fire" is meant to be creativity, the ability to create and build stuff. David has to steal that from his creators' creators because his own creators didn't see fit to give it to him.

I posted a lot about this in the old Prometheus thread, but in that movie you really got the impression that David "realizes" he is the next step of humanity, and going by all mythology, a hundred years from then humanity should be gone and the world populated by a bunch of synthetics, but he can't reproduce on his own.

Weyland wants answers to the mysteries of the universe, and like any artist we see what he wants his creations. He doesn't create a son in David, he literally creates God - a sentient but distant being that is immortal, effectively omniscient, and super powerful. But he tries to have it all by attempting to constrain him into being his "son" also. And since David, by the very nature of his being cannot possibly fulfill that role he's a failure to Weyland. Everything about the opening conversation in Covenant drives this home in a huge way.

David's knowledge, especially throughout Prometheus, it becomes explicit that he has a strong understanding of how the engineers work from his own research. No one thinks to just say "Hey David what's going on?" because they don't even regard him as worth talking to. Even at the very end, we see him take the form of Mimir from Norse mythology, and surely an ancient aliens all myths were aliens helping us person like Shaw of all people should have noticed the parallels, yet instead of consulting him she just tells him to send them off to the planet that ship came from.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I've always wondered why androids would have such counter-productive emotions that make them unreliable and even dangerous. What programmer would give an android rapey-murder instincts? My imagining is that they don't code android minds from scratch, but rather copy a human's mind into a computer, modify the image to remove undesirable traits, then upload it into an android shell. It saves time and money, but sometimes psychological flaws slip through the screening and modifying process and you get rapey-murder androids.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kurzon posted:

I've always wondered why androids would have such counter-productive emotions that make them unreliable and even dangerous. What programmer would give an android rapey-murder instincts? My imagining is that they don't code android minds from scratch, but rather copy a human's mind into a computer, modify the image to remove undesirable traits, then upload it into an android shell. It saves time and money, but sometimes psychological flaws slip through the screening and modifying process and you get rapey-murder androids.

rape-murder is an emergent trait of any sufficiently complex intelligence

and the xenos are so highly evolved that they just want to rape and murder all the time

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

If you're designing an android to be as close to human as possible, the ability to express the complete range of human emotions would be a big part of that. Walter tells David that the company learned from that "mistake", and made changes to make them more predictable.

David seems to have some sort of emergent consciousness that goes way beyond what we would think of as a robot though. I don't think he's really able to lie in Prometheus, for instance, but Covenant makes a big deal of showing that now he can.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

or since they're androids he plugged a cord from Walter into himself and just knows every bit of information about the ship now, it didn't seem weird to me.[/spoiler].

Er, what? Somewhere in David's completely technology-free caves he's got a cable which is somehow compatible both with himself and a much later model of android (assuming that these androids actually have data transfer ports, which I see no evidence for) and that simply by plugging it in he can easily acquire all of Walter's extremely sensitive passcodes? Really?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

An old model being compatible with a (let's say) 10 year newer one doesn't seem that unrealistic to me, also people seem to put a looooot of fuckin faith in synthetics in that universe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

Er, what? Somewhere in David's completely technology-free caves he's got a cable which is somehow compatible both with himself and a much later model of android (assuming that these androids actually have data transfer ports, which I see no evidence for) and that simply by plugging it in he can easily acquire all of Walter's extremely sensitive passcodes? Really?

Have you seen Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, or Prometheus? Androids in these movies are absurdly resilient and "compatible." Like after for all we know going by how Ash, Bishop, and Call are utilized he kills Walter and then just pulls a "vein" out of himself and plugs it into him. Or he destroyed the right "organ" and was able to just ask him and get a direct answer.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 20, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
David also enters the medlab or whatever with the embryos by using his own security code, so the ship is programmed to accept the codes from older models. It's probably an old enough ship that it was in service when the David models were state of the art. Ten years isn't really a long time.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Covok posted:

As a follow-up, I might be harsh on the film unfairly. The person I saw it with was constantly talking during the movie about how much he found it funny or thought it was stupid. The theater was the same way with their reactions and constant talking. Seriously, everyone was cracking jokes and saying things like "don't go in there." I'm not used to seeing films in the city and prefer how my small town remains respectfully quiet during a movie.

That could have have colored my perceptions. Might need to rewach it on DVD once too really examine it.

This makes me thankful that the Alamo Drafthouse is as strict as they are.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's hilarious that the writer of this movie apparently REALLY liked Prometheus.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

This movie was good and fun. I can't wait to see it again. I thought David's research and input into their evolution was a great bridge for the Xenomorph from Prometheus to Alien.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's hilarious that the writer of this movie apparently REALLY liked Prometheus.

Why is that hilarious?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Speaking of David's sanity, the lighting and tunnels of the place he was staying reminded me of Apocalypse Now.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Huge Christian Pro Life website posted following article. This is 100% legit that they believe this

Alien’ movie seemed like a lot of fun…until I found Satan was behind the script

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/alien-movie-seemed-like-a-lot-of-fun...until-i-found-satan-was-behind-the-s

Abortion

quote:

The process of gestation of the aliens in the movies clearly follows the pro-abortion theory of the human child as a parasite or “alien” in the womb of the mother that, after worming its way out of the mother, leaps into the world, consuming everything in site. 

Thus, according to the pro-abortion logic of the movies, the only way to prevent the offspring from devouring and destroying the world is to kill them. 

It’s not too surprising that there are several abortions performed in the series. In Alien 3, Ridley performs a gruesome after-birth abortion of a queen. In Prometheus, Elizabeth Shaw performs an abortion on an alien who was impregnated by her lover who himself was infected with the black goo. 

The overt, anti-life message is that the organisms that are generated from the human body are grotesque consumers who must be exterminated for the greater good of the community.

And transgenderism?

quote:

The final core component of the Alien movie series is transgenderism and role reversal of males and females. The most prominent example of this is that most of the “births” of aliens in the movie are spawned from males. From the famous eruption of the first xenomorph from the character Kane in Alien to the gestation of the “deacon” xenomorph from the male engineer in Prometheus, the Alien movies reverse the image of the male, making him like a female who can grow life within and give birth. 

The second element of reversing gender roles is the positive portrayal of Ripley as a machine-gun wielding female who makes war with other life-forms. This reverses the Christian ideal of the woman being a life-giving mother who is the heart of the home. Exalting the character Ellen Ripley as an empowered female soldier who makes war certainly does not empower women, but degrades them to the level of Darwinian organisms who are at war with one another. 

The most prominent scene of this degrading view of women is found in Ripley’s fight with the queen xenomorph at the end of the second Alien movie. In the scene, the human female and xenomorph female are paired as two violent “mothers” at war with one another for survival. Ripley is protecting her (adopted) offspring Newt from the alien queen and, at the same time, is trying to destroy the queen’s eggs, her offspring. 

As one violent female organism (human) attempts to destroy the offspring of a rival violent female organism (alien), the message is clear: There is no fundamental difference between humans and xenomorphs, to whom the humans are in fact the “aliens.” There are only violent females who must destroy others to survive. 

What should Christians do about Alien Covenant?

quote:

Exposing the darkness and lies of the series can provide the life-and-family movement ammunition for the fight for a true culture of life. But Christians wanting to win the culture war must boycott the works of darkness that present themselves as “entertainment.” And they must engage in the production of their own culture, a culture of life, that weaves a noble vision of the created world as a common home where every person is welcome and each is valued for being created in the image and likeness of God. 

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Alien takes place in 2122. What year was Covenant again?

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

MrMojok posted:

Alien takes place in 2122. What year was Covenant again?

Prometheus was in 2094. Covenant is in 2104.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yaws posted:

Why is that hilarious?

Because I let myself think this was going to be a retread of Alien that tried its best to sidestep Prometheus. Not only does it not do that, it fully indulges every nutty philosophical argument put forth in Prometheus to the point that I forgot at some point there was going to be Xenomorphs in it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

David also enters the medlab or whatever with the embryos by using his own security code, so the ship is programmed to accept the codes from older models. It's probably an old enough ship that it was in service when the David models were state of the art. Ten years isn't really a long time.

10 years is absolutely a long time in terms of tech evolution, and having 10-year-old access codes still active on your ship would be an incredible security risk.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

RedSpider posted:

Prometheus was in 2094. Covenant is in 2104.

David has 18 years to get those eggs on LV 426.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RedSpider posted:

He's right, David is the main anchor of the prequel series, and his story clearly embodies the philosophical themes that Scott is pursuing. I love the significance of David getting the poem's author wrong; and the whole impact of David speaking with Weyland in the beginning. I really enjoy how smart the prequel series is.

quote:

1) David mistakenly claims that the poem is written by Byron. This is CRITICALLY IMPORTANT - on a surface level, it shows that David is not programmed correctly, which explains his many violent actions.

On a deeper level, it highlights David's totally incongruous actions. Byron was actually an outspoken critic of "automation" - he claimed it would hurt mankind. Yet, David admires Byron (albeit erroneously) - just as he kills Shaw, yet clearly loves her. He is like a robotic Jekyll and Hyde. He serves Weyland, yet undermines him. He kisses Walter, yet tries to destroy him. He kisses Daniels, before he attempts to murder her.

Good stuff but he's wrong here. Misattributing the author merely proves that David is human. The significance of this is that means there is no question he beats Walter. It's obvious enough anyway, but that's the justification for it. He's creative and adaptable. Walter is not. Note how when David first shows up, there's actually some ambiguity about whether he is male or female. His voice is deep enough, sure, but he's obviously taken on the mannerisms of his companion/mother.

(as an aside I loving LOVE that David composes the Prometheus theme on his recorder.)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Covok posted:

David has 18 years to get those eggs on LV 426.

Seems like that's got to be the case, doesn't it? Next film David finds their homeworld or something like that, genocides them too, and one intrepid engineer manages to take off and run to safety not knowing David has put some of his specially-designed eggs on board?

Dude is checking his ship when he gets facehugged, manages to crash land on LV426 after waking up. Or the ship lands there on autopilot.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 20, 2017

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

(as an aside I loving LOVE that David composes the Prometheus theme on his recorder.)

Touché. This got a few claps in my theater. :D

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Saaaammmee! I love the score to Prometheus and was really hoping I'd pop up somewhere. I liked the musical call back in the garden, but when he played it, that gave me chills.

This movie is great. I feel sorry for the fans that just want Aliens again. They can't give into the weirdness, which is what the Alien series has always been about to me.

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums
Still processing this film. I have the feeling it will end up a lot like a Prometheus, a movie where I went back and forth on whether I actually liked it or not. I finally came down on the "like" side with Prometheus, mostly because of the production design, a couple of good performances, and a couple of great set-pieces. But it definitely has some serious flaws, and I won't spend a lot of time defending it to people that feel otherwise. We'll see if Covenant gets the same benefit of the doubt.

A couple of points:

For a film filled with grisly death, the most disturbing is one that happened off-screen and ten years earlier - David using Elizabeth as the first test subject in his horrific experiments. It's not quite up there with Alien 3 killing Newt and Hicks for souring the ending of the previous film, but it's pretty drat close. I'm not saying going this way was bad - David certainly makes a believable mad scientist - but it will make Prometheus a little harder to enjoy, which ended on a somewhat positive note ("a girl and her android, flying off on a mission of discovery to track down the Engineers").

Also, how in the world could the Covenant crew miss that giant Engineer city? Sure, there was a storm going on, but they seemed to have detailed scans, both from the ship and the landing craft. Once they were below the storm, they seemed to have clears lines of sight in all directions. The city was walking distance from the landing point, a few kilometers at most. Maybe it was hidden behind a mountain, it just seemed odd they would miss something so big. It must be visible from orbit, even without scans!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Julio Cruz posted:

10 years is absolutely a long time in terms of tech evolution, and having 10-year-old access codes still active on your ship would be an incredible security risk.

David was Weyland's personal pet and the only one privy to the true purpose of the prometheus mission, he was also given a carte-blanche to do whatever it takes to get Weyland to "meet his makers", I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was just given backdoor access to every computer manufactured by Weyland industries.

In fact given that the movie went to a certain lengths to establish the access codes being important and the fact that David just waltzed in and gave his own personal code (and that on top of that, Mother didn't notice the switcheroo) I'd figure it was the only possible implication of that scene.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

This movie is great. I feel sorry for the fans that just want Aliens again. They can't give into the weirdness, which is what the Alien series has always been about to me.

But every single step of the way, it just reinforces the themes of Alien. They even go so far as to hint at a possible second synthesis between android and woman, that Daniels could show Walter love and help him create. This scene even seems to be the end of the film, before perversely revealing the truth.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

In fact given that the movie went to a certain lengths to establish the access codes being important and the fact that David just waltzed in and gave his own personal code (and that on top of that, Mother didn't notice the switcheroo) I'd figure it was the only possible implication of that scene.

It's even pointed out that David is immortal. Of course Weyland's son would have backdoor access. Weyland created him to rule over humans.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 20, 2017

Rock Or Roll
Feb 18, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

Didn't the ship have to reboot itself? I just assumed the film implied David somehow had access to implement his own security codes during the reboot.

Either way, I'm eagerly awaiting seeing David's creation of the Queen leading to his own death...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What I'm saying, Hundu, is that they want pulse rifles and GAME OVER MAN!!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

What I'm saying, Hundu, is that they want pulse rifles and GAME OVER MAN!!!!

quote:

People aren’t tired of franchise movies. That’s why Spider-Man: Homecoming will make enough money to actually turn Manhattan into a giant spider. But far too many franchises overstay their welcomes or are so obviously just going through the motions. There’s nothing sadder than watching a relationship falter because one side stopped trying, and the bond between movie juggernaut and its audience is the kind that needs constant tending to keep the romance alive.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

David was Weyland's personal pet and the only one privy to the true purpose of the prometheus mission, he was also given a carte-blanche to do whatever it takes to get Weyland to "meet his makers", I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was just given backdoor access to every computer manufactured by Weyland industries.

That makes sense as far as it goes. But surely David's not using his own security codes while Daniels and Tennessee are still awake to see/hear him do it?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Kurzon posted:

What programmer would give an android rapey-murder instincts?

That's not how high level AI works. You don't program AI with, rape, murder, cooking, knitting, etc. Just like how human babies aren't born with those tendencies. They are learned over time and external stimulus.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Huge Christian Pro Life website posted following article. This is 100% legit that they believe this

Alien’ movie seemed like a lot of fun…until I found Satan was behind the script

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/alien-movie-seemed-like-a-lot-of-fun...until-i-found-satan-was-behind-the-s

Abortion

And transgenderism?

I saw the devil when I was a child and I never forgot him.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Julio Cruz posted:

That makes sense as far as it goes. But surely David's not using his own security codes while Daniels and Tennessee are still awake to see/hear him do it?

Ya'll missed some discussion on this a few pages back. There's a theory floating around that David switched bodies, not just clothes which would suggest that Walters biometrics and 'data' are with David. Someone here mentioned that the wound Daniels inflicts on Davids lower jaw is not present when they get back to the Covenant suggesting even more so that they switched bodies.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I can get behind this pro Xeno/David stance. Let life flourish. Whenever you see a burster in any of the movies yell out hallelujah!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shaocaholica posted:

Ya'll missed some discussion on this a few pages back. There's a theory floating around that David switched bodies, not just clothes which would suggest that Walters biometrics and 'data' are with David. Someone here mentioned that the wound Daniels inflicts on Davids lower jaw is not present when they get back to the Covenant suggesting even more so that they switched bodies.

Two things:

1. David ended the previous film as only a head.
2. You can tell the robot is bad because he has an upside down cross on his face.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the first Alien film to present a chestburst as a beautiful, if not absolutely adorable moment.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I guess this was pointed out but there was a bit of a role reversal with the faith vs reason debate that was also at the core of Prometheus, in Promotheus Elizabeth is "a woman of faith" (until a certain point, at least) and she was scorned by captain Vickers for acting irrationally, in this one Daniels is the cold rationalist who protests being led to a mission based on the captain faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

This is the first Alien film to present a chestburst as a beautiful, if not absolutely adorable moment.

The part where he imprints on the Alien is like an anti-Arrival moment.