Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

AlphaDog posted:

There are plenty of places around online where you can get printable standees if you don't want to pay for plastic or metal minis. Like here: https://printableheroes.tumblr.com/post/88082225124/full-printable-set-of-monsters Glue them to carboard if they're too flimsy.

The same thing as miniatures, pretty much. Except different.

This was awesome, thank you so much. Saved me money and I can incorporate them into a game sooner than I could have had real figurines shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

P.d0t posted:

I come at it from the angle of "if being able to use ANY weapon is supposed to be considered a feature, then it should be made actually usable."
Feel free to also give them "Beyond Damage Dice"-style weapon moves or what have you, but even then you should have access to a variety of weapons.

Splicer posted:

I think they were supposed to be mutually exclusive. You can pick the guy who can use all weapons and gains active benefits for bringing the right tool for the job or you pick the guy who is King Of Longsword

Yeah it's meant to be something you choose between. And I totally agree that weapons should be more then a damage type and a die! But this is also 5e.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was disappointed to learn that GFB doesn't count as "requiring an attack roll" for purposes of Spell Sniper's cantrip selection.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

One of my groups has got the idea that I hate anything that isn't combat because I don't like shopping and I got frustrated that an interminable planning session culminated in throwing away our resources and plans for some cockamamie scheme that involved animal handling checks to try to milk a spider for silk and led to us getting in a prison brawl while we were still in leg irons.

I mean okay we found a guard that we know HATES our captors and you have a bard with +10 deception and two DM-granted deception-based ribbon abilities. But sure let's milk a spider and then spend all our resources on a fight that never had to happen.

I feel like I should just suicide this character and make someone that's pure crunch since we're going to charge into everything anyway.

If playing with goons has taught me anything about table tops games it's that milking creatures always ends up going off the rails.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I've got nipples, Hrodgar. Could you milk me?

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I'm putting together a character for a new Adventurers League campaign coming up, and I'm trying to decide what race to make them. The character is going to be a Druid/Paladin, mostly because the idea of Smitey McBearface strikes me as incredibly funny.

I'm trying to stay away from the siren lure of variant human and that sweet, sweet bonus feat. But I'm trying to find good alternatives, and not having a lot of luck. Any recommendations?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
play a bear who was bitten by a deviant human and cursed to turn into a man in the light of the full moon

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Half-elf if you're looking for mechanical goodness. You can get three 16s including Wisdom and Charisma, then Dex or Con. Or dump Wisdom and get both. Take Shillelagh for when you aren't a bear and want to Smite a face.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
Oooh. The big plus for going variant human is the Mobile feat, for getting up to everything that much faster. But I will need to look at half-elves.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Half-elf if you're looking for mechanical goodness. You can get three 16s including Wisdom and Charisma, then Dex or Con. Or dump Wisdom and get both. Take Shillelagh for when you aren't a bear and want to Smite a face.

How are you getting three sixteens?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

mango sentinel posted:

I assume point buy with three dumped stats.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
That would work with a variant human with a feat that adds +1 to one of the would be 16s. Half-elf can pull it off with a 14 in cha before racial modifier and thus can get away without needing three 8s.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What's the maximum amount of day a druid can stay in bear form?

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
Half my druid level in hours twice per day. Regaining uses after a short or long rest.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I can't wait for our TPK next week.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

I can't wait for our TPK next week.

A comment like this demands explanation. Give us the juicy details!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Point buy. 14 in Cha, 15 in two others. Those get changed to 16 with half-elf and you have two points leftover. Mechanically, nothing beats half-elf for a Cha based class, unless there is a feat that is 100% vital to your build.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Arivia posted:

A comment like this demands explanation. Give us the juicy details!

Two at half health, one at death's door, party split up, no spell slots, no short rest, disguise/charade failed exactly as it's Too Late, doors close behind us and the session ends.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 19, 2017

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I got half my spell slots

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I didn't realize Adventurer's League allowed point buy.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

mango sentinel posted:

I didn't realize Adventurer's League allowed point buy.

Point buy or standard array only, no rolling for stats.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kaysette posted:

Point buy or standard array only, no rolling for stats.

Yeah I was under the impression it was array only.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah I was under the impression it was array only.

From the STK league guide:

quote:

Step 3: Determine Ability Scores
You can generate your character’s ability scores
using one of the following methods:
• Standard Array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)
• Variant: Customizing Ability Scores option on
page 13 of the Player’s Handbook.

I'm not at my book but I assume page 13 discusses point buy, no way in hell they would allow rolling.

Second point: who cares about the league rules that are dumb?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 19, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Is there any situation where you would take the array over point buy, aside from just general laziness or something?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

P.d0t posted:

Is there any situation where you would take the array over point buy, aside from just general laziness or something?

It's nice for when we get brand new players at AL to speed up character creation but there's no advantage to using that over point buy. It adds up to 27 which is that standard point buy max.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Our characters just hit level 2 and the guy playing a monk is talking about multiclassing. I'm wondering if there's anything that makes sense to dip into as a Bard, specifically when I plan to take College of Valor at level 3. Given where I plan to go roleplay-wise, I'm not sure any of the other spellcasting classes makes a ton of sense; Ranger, Fighter, or Barbarian would be a closer fit in that aspect, but I'm not sure if I'd get any advantage picking up one of those. Thoughts?

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
I used the standard array for my AL pc because I didn't know that point buy was an option.

I didn't actually check if it was an option, actually.

Yes, laziness.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015

Pham Nuwen posted:

Our characters just hit level 2 and the guy playing a monk is talking about multiclassing. I'm wondering if there's anything that makes sense to dip into as a Bard, specifically when I plan to take College of Valor at level 3. Given where I plan to go roleplay-wise, I'm not sure any of the other spellcasting classes makes a ton of sense; Ranger, Fighter, or Barbarian would be a closer fit in that aspect, but I'm not sure if I'd get any advantage picking up one of those. Thoughts?

1 level of life Cleric gets you heavy armor and +(2+spell level) to all healing.

EDIT: After more thoroughly reading your post: nah, just be a Bard.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mr. Tambo posted:

I used the standard array for my AL pc because I didn't know that point buy was an option.

I didn't actually check if it was an option, actually.

Yes, laziness.

At least you can freely rebuild until Tier 2

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
You can if the DM doesn't cancel all future games without warning or explanation.

(Wasn't really loving AL anyway. 5e is not a game improved by running it strictly RAW.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've resolved to try to kill off my Bard and play something else. (For some reason the DM is open to death as a way to switch but doesn't want people just switching out.)

Thing is, I really like lore bard. I just don't like that my heaps of social abilities get wasted with that group. Are there any other classes with an action economy as deep and varied as theirs? Where I'm going to make lots of adjustments based on how I plan to use my action/bonus/reaction in a given round? Some of the Cleric domains seem close but I've already got a cleric in another game (and we already have one in that group.)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Battle Master fighter might kind of count?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MMAgCh posted:

Battle Master fighter might kind of count?

Been wanting to do one for a while and it seems pretty sick with Polearm Master. Put it on a half-orc so those more-common 20s come with even bigger crits? I'm sold.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Been wanting to do one for a while and it seems pretty sick with Polearm Master. Put it on a half-orc so those more-common 20s come with even bigger crits? I'm sold.

Misread that as "Pokemon Master" at first and was wondering what class was that again exactly.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

hangedman1984 posted:

Misread that as "Pokemon Master" at first and was wondering what class was that again exactly.

Druid? You could just shout "I choose you!" every time you summon animals. Make him totally crazy so that he believes he's seeing them breathe fire on enemies or whatever else it is pokemon do.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Our group has a Silence scroll which I could copy into my Book of Ancient Secrets, but as much as I'd love to pick up new spells I can't help but feel like the panic-button option of Silence on a scroll might be more useful, even just as a one-time thing, than having silence as a ritual. Am I off-base? It seems like the kind of spell where a ritual is terribly inconvenient.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

From a pure optimisation perspective, there's very little in the game that beats full progression as a spellcaster. Bards can sacrifice about 3 levels without losing much in the super long run, although believe me you feel the slower progression of spells when you actually play the game.

I'm told Paladin makes a pretty cool multiclass to dip a few levels into with bard but I've never tried it myself.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

From a pure optimisation perspective, there's very little in the game that beats full progression as a spellcaster. Bards can sacrifice about 3 levels without losing much in the super long run, although believe me you feel the slower progression of spells when you actually play the game.

I'm told Paladin makes a pretty cool multiclass to dip a few levels into with bard but I've never tried it myself.

That's what I'm doing. Dipping in for two levels to get Smiting, then riding the multi-class spellcaster progression chart to hilarity. I just need to finalize my decision between the Variant Human (Mobility feat to cut down on the Bear to Face time), vs. Half-Elf (3 16s is nothing to sneeze at.)

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Dex, Con, Cha Half-Elf Valor Bard with a couple Paladin levels would be pretty great really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This would be neat, with the right group.