Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anyone like Dunlop Heavy Core strings? I just grabbed the 55 to 115 set to setup my jazz for BEAD. I'm an NYXL fanboy but their bass strings only go to 110. Shameful.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

Anyone like Dunlop Heavy Core strings? I just grabbed the 55 to 115 set to setup my jazz for BEAD. I'm an NYXL fanboy but their bass strings only go to 110. Shameful.

If you're setting up for BEAD, 55 to 115s are going to be floppy as a floppy flopster in Floptown on Flopday in the middle of the Floppy Flop Flop Parade. It will be nearly unplayable unless you finger those strings as gently as you might finger a... I don't know, something you like to finger.

Turns out, there's already a solution for BEAD tuning. It's the bottom 4 strings of a 5-string set. Oh, you will have to file your nut a bit, but it'll be infinitely more playable. A typical B string gauge is 135, and it's still a bit floppy, but not as bad (assuming a 34" scale). As for what to do with the extra G string... well, you can use it for anything besides underwear.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
anyone think a 130 is too heavy for C# on a 34" scale bass? grabbed some rotos for my ibanez

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've been using 125s on a five string and just bought a set of 135s that I need to put on. Hopefully that helps with the flubby B syndrome. I want to say 130 for C# might be too much but it's likely fine.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I use .120's on a 34" fiver and it's totally fine (even dropped down to A on occasion.) It's so dependent on setup and technique.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

tarlibone posted:

If you're setting up for BEAD, 55 to 115s are going to be floppy as a floppy flopster in Floptown on Flopday in the middle of the Floppy Flop Flop Parade. It will be nearly unplayable unless you finger those strings as gently as you might finger a... I don't know, something you like to finger.

Turns out, there's already a solution for BEAD tuning. It's the bottom 4 strings of a 5-string set. Oh, you will have to file your nut a bit, but it'll be infinitely more playable. A typical B string gauge is 135, and it's still a bit floppy, but not as bad (assuming a 34" scale). As for what to do with the extra G string... well, you can use it for anything besides underwear.

They're not floppy at all to me so far. Maybe they have a stiff core? My hand control in regards to guitar/bass is very good but they're nice and tight by my standards. The low B is a little muddy clean though, I'll have to play around with the setup and pickup height. The nut also needs a little more room.

BEAD with fuzz :getin:

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I used a regular set of strings tuned down to BEAD for quite some time. It's totally playable, but I also like a lot of fret clank in my sound. But now I need AEAD and it was getting a bit silly, so I now use a custom set that's .05-.1 thicker than a normal 4-string set but not as thick as a 5-string set. Works for me!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
well guess ill see how these rotos go then

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
Anyone know any good jam tracks? I find playing over a song that already has a bass part distracting.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

JEBOman posted:

Anyone know any good jam tracks? I find playing over a song that already has a bass part distracting.

Already work your way through the White Stripes, Black Keys, Sleater-Kinney and whoever else durnt have no bassist?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

S-K has bass parts though

Just get on YouTube and search for 'bass jam track', there's a ton (they say 'for bassists' or 'no bass') in a bunch of styles

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

baka kaba posted:

S-K has bass parts though

Just get on YouTube and search for 'bass jam track', there's a ton (they say 'for bassists' or 'no bass') in a bunch of styles

Hey I always meant to say of all the red text avs on somethingawful yours is, by far, the weirdest.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe you need to check out his sick band and it'll suddenly make perfect sense!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

So I've been meaning to upgrade from my behringer bxl1800 for like, the longest time now and the fender rumble 500 seems to do a good job of 'make my poo poo louder', comes at a good price point and is easily transportable. Does anyone have any experience with em? Seems like a fairly decent step up from what I've got already, but if theres something poo poo about them it'd be neat to know.

Also, is it just my area, or does every music shop has a useless bass section? Ive never really seen a huge selection to gear to choose from. I don't think I've ever seen anything but Orange or Mark Bass in stores, and they're nearly always the top tier ones that are way out of budget.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Also, is it just my area, or does every music shop has a useless bass section? Ive never really seen a huge selection to gear to choose from. I don't think I've ever seen anything but Orange or Mark Bass in stores, and they're nearly always the top tier ones that are way out of budget.

I've moved around a lot. Big cities across the US, but now I'm in a small metro. Definitely been watching same. I too miss the days where you'd go into a shop and see more of a spread. Blame online retailers. Stores are devoting their floor space to the higher margin items. Been this way for a good long while now.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Most music shops I've been in have a poo poo selection of bass gear, yeah.

It's usually either a single massive orange or ampeg that nobody will ever buy alongside 2 overpriced mim fenders, or a rack of cheap ibanezes and a couple of horrible tiny practice amps. Sometimes both in one store.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I guess Im glad it's not just me; still sucks tho. Especially since I've always thought that music gear doesnt really lend itself to online shopping very well.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Come to Florida and hit up Bass Central. Then get sad when you have to leave.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, I said "most music stores" because it's true, but also I have this place not impossibly far from me https://www.basscentre.com.au/ and yes, levaing will make you sad.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

The problem (at least in Australia) is everything's imported by a handful of companies.
Once Allan's/Billy Hydes (the largest chain at the time) collapsed they were bought by the Gibson distributer.
Ever since Fenders have been surprisingly thin on the ground.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Allans Billy Hyde is the largest guitar store near me and walking around a guitar store that has no strats or teles is very twilight zone.

maybe I could just fly down to melbourne for a day...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
So i've got an Ibanez SR800 (PJ, active) that I play through an ampeg ba-115. I like the sound of the amp but the bass pickups and preamp are kind of eh. Am I gonna get more bang for my buck with a nice preamp pedial that I could as a bonus record DI with or a new set of pickups or even preamp?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If the sound coming out of the instrument is what you don't like, I'd guess that you probably still won't like it no matter how much you process it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

AlphaDog posted:

If the sound coming out of the instrument is what you don't like, I'd guess that you probably still won't like it no matter how much you process it.

it's pretty good when the preamp is heavily boosted on the bass and a specific band of mids, it just doesn't have a broad range of usable sound.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I have a Tech 21 Bass VT DI that I use as an overdrive but it definitely can be used just as a tone shaper in between your bass and amp. The few clips of the Ibanez SR800 PJ I've heard do make it sound a bit Seinfeldy. If boosting the mids and cutting the treble (and/or using just the P pickup) isn't enough to get the tone you want, you may want to try a different P pickup first before replacing both pickups at the same time or the preamp.

EDIT: I'd look for clips of an Ibanez SR bass that has sounds you like and see what's different.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Didn't see this in the OP: what is the best cheap multi-FX toy? I mean I'd prefer if it didn't really sound like a toy, but at the end of that day that's what it's going to be for me.

I'm just a novice who noodles around and plays along to recorded music, and I recently got back into playing after like 15 years away from it. I run a MIM P-bass into a 100-watt Fender Rumble amp. So obviously nothing too serious here, but I'd like to be able shape the sound a little more than I can do with the amp alone. Decent compression would be number one on my list, followed by chorus for that 80's New Order/Joy Division type of sound. But ideally it would have other quality sounds to play around with. Seems like the Zoom B1on and MS-60B are fairly popular, but I didn't know if there was like a goon consensus favorite for this sort of thing. Any opinions/experiences are welcome. If I go with the B1, should I spring for the expression pedal?

JEBOman posted:

Not really what you asked, but I find the session mode in Rocksmith to be a great way to get lost in jamming for a while.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 26, 2017

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I like my Boss ME-50B for home practice. Built like a tank, decent sound, line in and headphone out for playing along with tunes, some setting memory features. You can probably find one used for $75-150 or so.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

muike posted:

So i've got an Ibanez SR800 (PJ, active) that I play through an ampeg ba-115. I like the sound of the amp but the bass pickups and preamp are kind of eh. Am I gonna get more bang for my buck with a nice preamp pedial that I could as a bonus record DI with or a new set of pickups or even preamp?

Does it have active/passive? Do you like what the bass sounds like passive? If not, get new pickups.

Pickups are a really good place to start if they're stock. OEM pickups are trash.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
active pickups, preamp, with no off switch for the preamp except just setting it at the center notch

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Does it have active/passive? Do you like what the bass sounds like passive? If not, get new pickups.

Pickups are a really good place to start if they're stock. OEM pickups are trash.

Especially Ibanez. All their in-house pickups are trash.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Minto Took posted:

Especially Ibanez. All their in-house pickups are trash.

Really? I never liked the sound of my GSR 200, but I put it down to it being the cheapest bass in the line.

E: I never clicked with any of the higher end ibanezes either, but it was more how they felt than how they sounded. I mean, as much as you can judge playing for 10 minutes n a store.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 26, 2017

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

AlphaDog posted:

Really? I never liked the sound of my GSR 200, but I put it down to it being the cheapest bass in the line.

Personal preference maybe, but I've never played an Ibanez with stock Ibanez-brand pickups and thought they sounded good. The Nordstrand models are nice, though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's almost always been a given that you're gonna rip ibanez pickups out on their guitars

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

The Science Goy posted:

I like my Boss ME-50B for home practice. Built like a tank, decent sound, line in and headphone out for playing along with tunes, some setting memory features. You can probably find one used for $75-150 or so.

The 11rack is currently my go to at home as it works well for guitar too :)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If you aren't ripping all of your pickups out for some Novaks or Porters then you clearly are not playing guitar but rather your small peepee that is unworthy of love.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Thermos H Christ posted:

Didn't see this in the OP: what is the best cheap multi-FX toy? I mean I'd prefer if it didn't really sound like a toy, but at the end of that day that's what it's going to be for me.

Hands-down, Zoom BX1on. It's about $70 new on Amazon right now. It allows you to build a chain of effects using emulations of famous and not-so-famous pedals (as well as their own creations). You select the pedal, set the knobs on the pedal, then select the next one, etc. You can even re-order the effects, which you can't do on some multi-effects that give you modules that are always in the same order. Don't let the low price fool you--these are some decent quality pedal models, and the variety of effects is pretty amazing.

This is the pedal I use when I practice or go somewhere to jam, mainly because I don't always want to carry my real pedalboard around with me. When I play out, the big board comes out. But it's big and heavy, so the lil' Zoom is my main practice toy. And it has an expression pedal--I don't use it on much, but it's fun to fart around with.

Edit: fixed the price.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 26, 2017

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm just a novice who noodles around and plays along to recorded music, and I recently got back into playing after like 15 years away from it. I run a MIM P-bass into a 100-watt Fender Rumble amp. So obviously nothing too serious here, but I'd like to be able shape the sound a little more than I can do with the amp alone. Decent compression would be number one on my list, followed by chorus for that 80's New Order/Joy Division type of sound. But ideally it would have other quality sounds to play around with. Seems like the Zoom B1on and MS-60B are fairly popular, but I didn't know if there was like a goon consensus favorite for this sort of thing. Any opinions/experiences are welcome. If I go with the B1, should I spring for the expression pedal?

Not really what you asked, but I find the session mode in Rocksmith to be a great way to get lost in jamming for a while.

Thanks, I always forget about Rocksmith. I played around with it for a while, but I hated the fingerings it suggested. It really favors moving a lot, even when the notes are currently under your fingers. But I should give the other features a second go.

Sounds like we actually have similar set ups and I use the B1Xon. Almost all the presets are super crap, but you can make some good sounds if you make your own. I probably wouldn't gig with it though. However, it is great to taste a lot of different types of pedals and to practice on. Definitely worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Coming This Summer (or Fall)!

:dance: