Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I only ever played the first one lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I only ever played the first one lol
Smart move. Fear 3 is kinda okay if you play it coop though, and if you trick your coop partner into playing boring rear end pointman so you can be pointman's spooky ghost brother

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Awwww man the first FEAR was great at the time. The gun play was amazing and the enemy AI felt really good.

Sure the story was total muck but then game storylines over ten years later are still as bad.

Plus you could turn people into red chunky mist with the shotgun 😍😍😍

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mordiceius posted:

I gave up my Netflix sub due to the lovely selection of movies. My wife and I are both in grad school and like video games so that takes up a decent amount of our free time. If we are going to watch something, it'll be a movie, not a TV show we have to dedicate 50 hours to.

We just use Amazon prime and rent whatever we want to watch if it's not on prime.

I get this, since it was me back in the late 2000's. These days I like to watch tv and I have the time and they make a lot of weird niche shows. Master of None for example it made by and for second generation American immigrant millennials and while that vaguely describes a couple network shows, they are much more generic mush. So it feels like they're making a bunch of tv shows just for me.

And yeah Bojack.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished Farpoint tonight, and while it isn't a great game on it's own, I'd challenge anyone to play through it and walk away calling VR a gimmick. I don't think this generation of headsets is going to be the one to do it, but VR is absolutely going to be huge. FPS in VR feels insanely good. Like a total refresh for the genre.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I cancelled my netflix subscription the moment they cracked down on vpns cuz the content library is woefully poo poo with region restrictions

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I cancelled my netflix subscription the moment they cracked down on vpns cuz the content library is woefully poo poo with region restrictions

Same, I'd gotten by for a while using my brother's girlfriend's account until she cancelled for the same reasons. Now we all use my girlfriend's sister's account.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like Netflix because regular tv is bad and I don't watch 200 hours of television a week.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For the first time since Netflix launched I have an ISP that is not fast enough during peak times to reliably stream video. I moved and got a new ISP and they suck but I need to wait until next month for installation of a new one. It's reminded me just how much of my PS4 use is streaming video.

edit: it was only last year that Netflix and Amazon streaming came to Japan. Before that it was a few domestic services that suuuuuuuuuucked, and Hulu.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
my only regret is that I did not watch all of Buffy before they took it off streaming on Netflix. I started watching Supergirl though, which seems to hit some of the same kinds of notes, if not as well, but that's a high standard to live up to anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bombadilillo posted:

Isn't he optional?

Logarius is optional yeah. One Reborn is not.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think I made a mistake buying XCom 2 in that sale last week.

Yesterday after work I thought I might sit down and play a quick mission then whoops its 4am and I haven't eaten or moved for eight hours

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, that usually happens.

Speaking of which, is the Shipwrecked expansion for Don't Starve worth getting?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Started Persona 5 and i'm actually really liking it so far. The combat is really nicely streamlined and quick and the dialogue is fairly snappy.

It's anime as gently caress but it doesn't take itself too seriously so it's not so bad. Only issues i have are that there are a LOT of loading screens and i'm about 4 1/2 hours in and it's still fairly linear.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

spudsbuckley posted:

Started Persona 5 and i'm actually really liking it so far. The combat is really nicely streamlined and quick and the dialogue is fairly snappy.

It's anime as gently caress but it doesn't take itself too seriously so it's not so bad. Only issues i have are that there are a LOT of loading screens and i'm about 4 1/2 hours in and it's still fairly linear.

What sort of non-linearity were you looking for in a game like this? The most you can really do is rush certain social links to get access to the good stuff earlier (Death 7 for half-price SP regen accessories that are drat near mandatory, Temperance 10 for ability to do stuff in evenings after palaces/mementos plus bonus time slots to read/study/make a tool, Fortune 7 to be able to spend money to advance social links, maybe Sun 10 to be able to recruit shadows who have higher levels than what you probably have for their palaces).

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Paracelsus posted:

What sort of non-linearity were you looking for in a game like this? The most you can really do is rush certain social links to get access to the good stuff earlier (Death 7 for half-price SP regen accessories that are drat near mandatory, Temperance 10 for ability to do stuff in evenings after palaces/mementos plus bonus time slots to read/study/make a tool, Fortune 7 to be able to spend money to advance social links, maybe Sun 10 to be able to recruit shadows who have higher levels than what you probably have for their palaces).

It's probably more that i haven't reached the bit where the social link stuff really open up yet.

The story is literally going from beat to beat without any opportunity to gently caress around yet.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Persona 5's tutorial is legit like 6 hours, it will open up eventually but yeah it's harsh.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

spudsbuckley posted:

It's probably more that i haven't reached the bit where the social link stuff really open up yet.

The story is literally going from beat to beat without any opportunity to gently caress around yet.

You are pretty close to where it will open up but be aware that you are going to get dragged back into linearity for about an hour every month.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Policenaut posted:

Persona 5's tutorial is legit like 6 hours, it will open up eventually but yeah it's harsh.

So 1/5 FFXIIIs tutorial. Those jrpgs are getting better!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, when the game says "Mission Start!" you finally have some freedom to choose what to do each day, but it takes quite awhile to get there. Although I didn't mind it because I found the story really engaging and motivating right from the get-go.

The game mostly alternates between sections where you can do whatever you want and sections where you're just swept along in the plot tornado. You kinda have to accept that there's parts where you'll just have to go along with it.

I'm at 12/23 and it's been over 110 hours. I have a small number of frustrations with the game and story, but what a great journey.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat it at 77hrs. At some point i just started ffw'ding the characters i didnt care about though

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Say whatever you want but Netflix will have Castlevania AND The Witcher. Plus I've read somewhere that Karl Urban wants to make a Dredd series on Netflix and if that's true, it'll be awesome.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

And they announced a Dark Crystal series.

Netflix should make a Bloodborne tv show.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Netflix should make a Bloodborne tv show.
Someone pulled a prank on you and put an auto-correct turning "HBO" into "Netflix".

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey guys, got a question:

I'm running out of room on my HD, and I was wondering, what's the process like for using flash drives to store games?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I imagine if you want to store games externally, you'll probably want an external drive since any game eating up your HD space is going to be big. However, I think you can use flash storage like you would a regular external drive, which was introduced a few major patches ago.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

veni veni veni posted:

Finished Farpoint tonight, and while it isn't a great game on it's own, I'd challenge anyone to play through it and walk away calling VR a gimmick. I don't think this generation of headsets is going to be the one to do it, but VR is absolutely going to be huge. FPS in VR feels insanely good. Like a total refresh for the genre.

I agree. It's not a good game, but it sure as hell proves a point.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Farpoint looked like eh but seeing the holographic sight in action was pretty cool

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Finished the third palace of Persona with a single visit the first day it was available, without upgrading any of my gear from the second palace. Boss was infinitely easier than the second. Died once to extorting an Oni who freaked out and double critical Rampaged my team and killed Joker. Part of me thinks maybe I should have just played this on hard, but also that as much as I'm enjoying it it has taken me over a month to even get this far so I should probably just keep plowing through with minimal challenge in the interest of actually seeing the game before life finds a reason to stop me from finishing.

How many palaces are there / are there any that are significantly longer than the others?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Finished the third palace of Persona with a single visit the first day it was available, without upgrading any of my gear from the second palace. Boss was infinitely easier than the second. Died once to extorting an Oni who freaked out and double critical Rampaged my team and killed Joker. Part of me thinks maybe I should have just played this on hard, but also that as much as I'm enjoying it it has taken me over a month to even get this far so I should probably just keep plowing through with minimal challenge in the interest of actually seeing the game before life finds a reason to stop me from finishing.

How many palaces are there / are there any that are significantly longer than the others?

There are eight main dungeons in total. They get longer as they go on, with the second-to-last in particular being a serious marathon.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Oxxidation posted:

There are eight main dungeons in total. They get longer as they go on, with the second-to-last in particular being a serious marathon.

Yeah, the final palace (second to last dungeon) boss fight/s made me glad that I wasn't playing on hard. Slightly worse luck would have seen a party wipe or two and having to replay lengthy, multi-part fights.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
What's the consensus on For Honor? It was one of the games I was considering picking up for PS4 instead of PC so as to avoid uPlay. I like the setup, and the sword fighting thing sounds really cool, but I've heard that it's difficult to approach since it plays similarly to a fighting game, and that there was a lot of content locked behind micro-transactions.

I was also looking at Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's on sale for PC right now on the Humble Store, and I'm sure my computer could run fine, but there are times where it feels better suited or more appropriate to play on a console. I played the first one on PC, and I liked it a lot. I haven't heard anything on how Rise fared, though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

No one likes For Honor because it isn't anime enough.

I found it really difficult to compete after stepping away to play Horizon and a few other games, just got slaughtered by people with stronger gear. I can't imagine being a newbie now. And the p2p servers are garbage, you'll often lose your progress if too many people rage quit at the same time.

Rise was fine technically but not nearly as enjoyable as the first one imo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yakuza 0 is very fun and good.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

No one likes For Honor because it isn't anime enough.

I found it really difficult to compete after stepping away to play Horizon and a few other games, just got slaughtered by people with stronger gear. I can't imagine being a newbie now. And the p2p servers are garbage, you'll often lose your progress if too many people rage quit at the same time.

Rise was fine technically but not nearly as enjoyable as the first one imo.

They've redone the gear system entirely so it's not such a advantage to having higher gear, which helped a little bit. You get experience quicker and they readjusted the gear curve and things like that. The servers still occasionally drop a game with rage quits but apart from that work fine.

If you're new to it Max Wilco it's quite easy to get to grips with compared to a traditional fighting game but still just realise you might have to play for a bit before you get good, you'll lose a lot initially. the 1v1 and 2v2 modes have no gear stats if you want a totally fair fight. The microtransactions are only for cosmetic things which you can get with in game currency anyway.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I enjoyed For Honor for the 4 or 5 hours I played it but never had the desire to go pick up a copy or play it again after renting it. It seemed allright, but had no longevity for me. I'd rather just play Dark Souls if I want to whack other players with swords and in general I'd rather just play shooters online. It didn't seem either tactical enough or bombastic enough to have a really good hook. For me at least it was just sorta there. I think it was neat they tried to do something sort of different though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rise was okay in a more of the same way but it has the worst story and Lara Croft in any TR game and I'm including Angel of Darkness in that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

veni veni veni posted:

I enjoyed For Honor for the 4 or 5 hours I played it but never had the desire to go pick up a copy or play it again after renting it. It seemed allright, but had no longevity for me. I'd rather just play Dark Souls if I want to whack other players with swords and in general I'd rather just play shooters online. It didn't seem either tactical enough or bombastic enough to have a really good hook. For me at least it was just sorta there. I think it was neat they tried to do something sort of different though.

I'd try renting it, but I don't know any place near where I live that do game rentals. There's Redbox, but their selection for games is pretty limited, so I doubt they'd still be carrying it at this point.

Is the online better/worse compared to the PC version?

Sakurazuka posted:

Rise was okay in a more of the same way but it has the worst story and Lara Croft in any TR game and I'm including Angel of Darkness in that.

:stare:

Admittedly, I'm not real familiar with Angel of Darkness (or any other TR game apart from TR 2013), but based on what little I've heard, I'm curious as to how the story and Lara in Rise is the worst.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 21, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Max Wilco posted:

What's the consensus on For Honor? It was one of the games I was considering picking up for PS4 instead of PC so as to avoid uPlay. I like the setup, and the sword fighting thing sounds really cool, but I've heard that it's difficult to approach since it plays similarly to a fighting game, and that there was a lot of content locked behind micro-transactions.

I was also looking at Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's on sale for PC right now on the Humble Store, and I'm sure my computer could run fine, but there are times where it feels better suited or more appropriate to play on a console. I played the first one on PC, and I liked it a lot. I haven't heard anything on how Rise fared, though.

The console versions of For Honor are locked at 30fps, which was a dealbreaker for me as like all fighting games it requires rather precise input timings. If you have the PC to run it at 60fps+ then I would definitely favor that. There's definitely a learning curve where you will get owned by people who have been playing the game for a year, but 1v1 and 2v2 modes are not gear-dependent at all. As long as you're willing to lose a lot of duels and learn from mistakes, then you can also git gud. You can run it through Steam on uplay without having to touch the app. Many people have problems with connectivity, but For Honor runs flawlessly for me. Definitely a game I would hover over the refund screen on Steam until I figured out if the netcode was going to work or blow up in my face.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is I think mechanically superior to TR2013 in every way except the main story, which is a lot weaker than the reboot. But the tombs, fighting and platforming are all great and second to Horizon it's got the best bow mechanics out of any video game. I played it on PC but from all accounts the PS4 port is solid and does take advantage of Pro hardware, if that's your thing. Would strongly recommend the Endurance Mode DLC if end up liking it.

Max Wilco posted:

Admittedly, I'm not real familiar with Angel of Darkness (or any other TR game apart from TR 2013), but based on what little I've heard, I'm curious as to how the story and Lara in Rise is the worst.

The main story just doesn't really move anywhere and Lara is kind of one-note throughout the entire thing ("I must defend my father's legacy!") I don't think it's terrible, it just spins its wheels a lot in places. But it moves at a pretty brisk pace as the campaign is only about 20 hours long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Rise of the Tomb Raider is a game where the side content feels much better than the main game.

The main game dragged for me and there are parts and enemies that feel like they were copied from the reboot.