Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Aurora posted:

What even are you saying by this, it looks really awful to say that "being a victim and being a horrible person go hand in hand"

i'm saying that many bad people had awful things done to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lashing out in a trauma-induced mental/emotional break does not make you a horrible person tho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it might be best if we move off of this subject, especially because it won't be fully relevant for at least two episodes now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So who's Sauske?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

So who's Sauske?

Nomu obviously.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nitrousoxide posted:

So who's Sauske?

Ur mom lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good episode, good music, good Uraraka

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I completely forgot about Mei's fight.

I love Mei a whole lot you guys.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Waffleman_ posted:

I completely forgot about Mei's fight.

I love Mei a whole lot you guys.

She made a match into a commercial, then fucks off dramatically.

Mei kinda owns???

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

LightningKimba posted:

She made a match into a commercial, then fucks off dramatically.

Mei kinda owns???

Mei's one of my favorite characters in the series, you don't get to see her often but it's always memorable. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mei is very low-key one of the best, yes.

I also forgot how thirsty Midnight was.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Mei owns, and so does the fight between Kirishima and Tetsutetsu

I feel so bad that Momo got taken care of so easily, though :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I feel so bad that Momo got taken care of so easily, though :(

Not quite angling for spoilers, but her thing is that she's a prodigy with low self-confidence, right? Like, her power's ace but she overthinks everything and misses the forest for the trees.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She's basically any child in a gifted program in school. She's kinda struggling to meet people's expectations of her, especially now that she's in the big leagues.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, her power also rewards planning ahead. Being forced into an arena battle without being able to craft her weapons ahead of time is probably her power's worst situation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Considering that she's on recommendations, which means she's being directly compared to Todoroki, I think it's fair for Momo to feel a little outclassed.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I hope Iida carries a chip on his shoulder about this forever even after everyone's moved on.

She lied...!

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Mei's commercial was awesome. I thought she might have outfitted Iida with some kind of sabotage device, but that would've been way less interesting than what we got. Dark Shadow continues to be MVP in every match. That darkness bird is fuckin' cute as hell.

I guess it's too much to ask that Uraraka actually beats Bakugo, but darnit how swell would it be if she did? I believe~

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 20, 2017

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mei probably could have beat Iida if she was being serious too. Without her stabilization device he may have run off stage and she could have tased him or something when he was in the net. Makes me wish for a Gadget-based hero but I suppose that would kind of defeat the whole premise of the show.

I'm guessing Bakugo wins but Uraraka puts up a hell off a fight, probably coming out looking more impressive that he does in fact.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Makes me wish for a Gadget-based hero but I suppose that would kind of defeat the whole premise of the show.

Unless I'm mistaken I think this was originally what Deku was supposed to be, but publishers didn't want a hero with no powers so instead we got one that can't really control them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In the one-shot that would eventually become My Hero Academia, originally titled simply "My Hero," the main character was Jack Midoriya, a hero fan who worked at a support company selling gadgets to heroes. He was still Quirkless and still wanted to become a hero himself.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

What we got is better.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Mordja posted:

Not quite angling for spoilers, but her thing is that she's a prodigy with low self-confidence, right? Like, her power's ace but she overthinks everything and misses the forest for the trees.

Part that and part she was just screwed right from the start by the ruleset here. She needs time and concentration to create things, and the whole setup and Tokoyami's quirk meant she just plain had none.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Magni posted:

Part that and part she was just screwed right from the start by the ruleset here. She needs time and concentration to create things, and the whole setup and Tokoyami's quirk meant she just plain had none.

Another factor is the time of day. If that had fought a bit earlier, Tokoyami wouldn't have been as strong.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Silver2195 posted:

Another factor is the time of day. If that had fought a bit earlier, Tokoyami wouldn't have been as strong.

Tokoyami's power varies by light intensity, not hour of the day. It's why Kaminari could stop him cold - lightning makes a bright flash, which makes his shadow nearly helpless. That's why he couldn't nab a headband from Todoroki until the lightning kid ran out of lightning, right at the end.

Tokoyami's shadow would be really weak in that brightly lit stage with all those torches around, but like he said to Deku, that comes with better control. So if he just needs to shove her backwards about 30 feet and never needs to reveal how weak his attacks actually are, it becomes an easy fight for him. He just needed to keep slamming his shadow into her shield until Momo stumbled herself out of bounds.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Though the fact that she was easily beaten by Tokoyami it makes a lot of sense for her to be frustrated.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
In the end Momo still hasn't developed the situational awareness and ability to think on her feet the others have been working on, and that, more so than quirk compatibility, was her undoing.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I just watched that whole episode with the biggest goofiest grin on my face. Like, several times I tried not smiling but couldn't stop. I can't remember the last time an episode of anything made me do that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kyte posted:

In the end Momo still hasn't developed the situational awareness and ability to think on her feet the others have been working on, and that, more so than quirk compatibility, was her undoing.

In Momo's defense, her quirk requires a lot more thought to use effectively on the fly than most we've seen. It has ridiculous versatility and enormous potential but trying to think about what items would help in a given situation, remembering how they're constructed from memory, and then using the items effectively once they're made while someone is actively trying to beat you up is a whole lot more work than simply shooting ice walls or turning yourself super hard and punching someone.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
really what she needs to do is practice a specific response to a broad situation like "villains are about to attack me" so that it's procedural memory when she wants a weapon and shield in her hands.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
A better default is probably a riot shield and one of those fantasy guns that shoots totally safe and effective on everyone tranq darts.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I've realized that beyond that first episode being entirely recap the thing that annoys me the most about this season is the Deku crotch-shadow filter someone on the staff seems to love. It lasts for like 20 seconds at the end of the OP and I think they've used it in every episode for no reason.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you mean the darkening when there's all the crazy movement at the end of the op? all tv anime does that when they get into super crazy fast-moving stuff with lots of colors, it's to prevent seizures. they leave things normal on the blu-ray releases

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
How fast we've forgotten about Pokemon giving kids seizures

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I was wondering about that and figured the effects of that Pokemon episode were the reason behind it

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LostRook posted:

I've realized that beyond that first episode being entirely recap the thing that annoys me the most about this season is the Deku crotch-shadow filter someone on the staff seems to love. It lasts for like 20 seconds at the end of the OP and I think they've used it in every episode for no reason.

Just wait for the blue ray and you'll get all those unshadowed crotch shots you're longing for.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shaking my drat head

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though the fact that she was easily beaten by Tokoyami it makes a lot of sense for her to be frustrated.

What I suspect will frustrate he even more is when she realizes that she had a hard counter to Tokoyami if she'd only been able to gather herself. She can make just about anything so long as she understands how it's made. This includes stuff with moving parts but more importantly flash grenades.

This was a good episode and I'm glad that they expanded on the fights from this stage a little. I'm always up for Mina getting more screentime.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Terper posted:

Shaking my drat head

Are you complaining about the waist tuck or the fatter thigh in the anime or something I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

She definitely seems hourglassed in that shot of the anime

• Locked thread