Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

aniviron posted:

Was definitely not worth it in FNV. T-51b nets you a whopping 2 extra DT compared to the better medium armors in the game, 25 vs 23 (29 vs 31 with helmets) ; which comes at the expense of weighing more than twice as much as them, slowing your movement speed, and destroying your ability to sneak. A lot of the better medium armors in that game also come with significant bonuses as part of their armor sets instead of the +1STR and AGL penalty that power armor has. Given that power armor is rare, requires a perk that is time-consuming to get, and very expensive to repair, you'd think it would be top-tier poo poo, but no, it's actually probably worse than the alternatives.

At least JSawyer fixes that, giving the armor a carry weight bonus so it carries itself (as makes sense), and gives it DR in addition to its DT.

Been a long time since I played NV and my I never played vanilla after JSawyer mod came out, so I was probably mis-remembering how it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Rinkles posted:

And again, too drat many suits of armor. It robs them of feeling special.

I would have liked to see a little more variety in suits, kinda like protectrons.

Like, some suits that were for construction, and heavy lifting. Lots of bonus to strength, minimal protection. Or suits for surgery/operations, with INT and PER bonuses, but nearly no combat value. Or manual labor suits, with high bonuses to carry.

Or even different Combat applications - recon suits with low damage thresholds, but were light, fast, and had recon scopes built in. Or heavy weapon suits - slow, but with hard mounted rocket/grenade/missile mounts, and high explosive resist. Maybe even infiltration suits, with built in cloak.

(Yeah, I know you can mod the armor the way you like, and some upgrades will effectively do that)

As is, the suits are basically just upgrades from one to the next, with each next suit "better".

I kind of just want fallout:mechwarrior

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

PA feels good in FO4. But I sometimes question its utility. It feels like end game badassary and more like a choice, akin to whether you're going to go melee or small guns or longarms or whatever. Because the whole game was basically balanced with that in mind, it gets cut off at the legs somewhat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

turn off the TV posted:

I agree that there are way too many PA frames out in the world, but I actually feel like there aren't enough enemies wearing it, unless you decide to fight the Brotherhood of Steel. It would've been pretty cool if some high level Gunners spawned with T-45 and T-50 armor.

And funnily enough PA from downed enemies is unrecoverable (w/o being tricky), which begs the question of whether this was for balancing reasons or because they couldn't figure out a way of righting collapsed suits.

There are a few Gunners scripted to be in PA, but I don't know about random spawns.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

And funnily enough PA from downed enemies is unrecoverable (w/o being tricky), which begs the question of whether this was for balancing reasons or because they couldn't figure out a way of righting collapsed suits.

I'm going to assume the latter.

If you pickpocket or snipe the power core they hop out.

Also funny is that the PA is flagged as owned if you snipe the core out and they hop out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The first suit I "recovered" became a scarecrow in Sanctuary when I realized my followers would groan every time I entered it.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, the companions who complain when you steal stuff or pick locks are really annoying.

I remember the first time I onboarded Nick, then went up to the Mayor's office. I decided I didn't like the Mayor very much and especially didn't like the way he had so much crap sitting around that he wasn't using at all, so I appropriated some of it to be repurposed into something a bit more valuable and useful to the people of the Commonwealth.

Nick made it clear what he thought of this plan. Nick then took a rocket-assisted hammer to the face and was kicked from the group.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

this is why your companions need to be robots.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There used to (?) be a bug where settler robots would not shut up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think about 50% of the companion reaction stuff just makes no sense, either because it's super abusable or because it makes them look like idiots. Oh, how dare I pick a lock in an abandoned building. Or maxing out your affinity with some characters by just entering your power armor over and over and over. Or the ridiculousness of the morally dubious characters cheering you on if you murder a cat and getting loving pissed if help people ever.

I mean I like that the system exists but like a lot of systems in the game it needed way more thought put into it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 29, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Rinkles posted:

There used to (?) be a bug where settler robots would not shut up.

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18670/

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lurdiak posted:

I think about 50% of the companion reaction stuff just makes no sense, either because it's super abusable or because it makes them look like idiots. Oh, how dare I pick a lock in an abandoned building. Or maxing out your affinity with some characters by just entering your power armor over and over and over. Or the ridiculousness of the morally dubious characters cheering you on if you murder a cat and getting loving pissed if help people ever.

I mean I like that the system exists but like a lot of systems in the game it needed way more thought put into it.

Yeah, I remember Shakespeare Mutant being pissed that I wore power armour. It was stupid.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Speedball posted:

this is why your companions need to be robots.

Why bring companions anyways? They ruin sneaking.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Did you guys know that this game lacks a rideable robot horse? In spite of the obvious need and reasons for one to exist

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

And items! What else can the Giddyup Buttercup be for?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Really lost interest in this game when it became apparent you couldnt even get those things to move, let alone strap them to your feet as quadruped roboskates. Massive oversight

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

After touring the institute, my current hope for the ending is 'gas all the humans to force them out of there, blow the relay, let the Synths live underground and figure their own destiny out.'

I doubt it'll be that clean, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 1, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I remember on my first playthrough, finding various different Giddyup Buttercup pieces and thinking "oh, cool, you must be able to build a functioning one if you find all the pieces!"

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Played the game properly for the first time in ages today. Near Walden Pond I came across three raiders - two of whom were named and one just being a good old "Raider" - hanging out with a synth named "Reprogrammed". I thought this was cool and wanted to know more, but I can't find any reference to it online whatsoever, leading me to believe it was all just a fever dream. EDIT: It could be from a mod, I dunno.

Although I found some things I had never found before, it's still my least favourite Fallout game out of the three I've played.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 1, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

MikeJF posted:

After touring the institute, my current hope for the ending is 'gas all the humans to force them out of there, blow the relay, let the Synths live underground and figure their own destiny out.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDqHoxVHW_s

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
That is amazing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Rinkles posted:

There are a few Gunners scripted to be in PA, but I don't know about random spawns.

Random spawns no, but there's at least one gunner camp (across the river from Saugus in a salvage lot) with a power armor frame a gunner captain will climb into if alerted.

On the subject of things I haven't seen before, there was a half-destroyed house north of Greygarden with a couple scavengers threatening a runaway synth.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Glazius posted:

Random spawns no, but there's at least one gunner camp (across the river from Saugus in a salvage lot) with a power armor frame a gunner captain will climb into if alerted.

That's what I meant. I can think of at least 2 other instances.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Will getting kicked out of the institute and being told by the railroad to gently caress off over to the minutemen to blow it up lock me out of the Boston After Dark side quest lines?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Entropic posted:

I remember on my first playthrough, finding various different Giddyup Buttercup pieces and thinking "oh, cool, you must be able to build a functioning one if you find all the pieces!"

Guess what.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23963/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQMPms1-47A

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's by m150, so I am expecting great things.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Will getting kicked out of the institute and being told by the railroad to gently caress off over to the minutemen to blow it up lock me out of the Boston After Dark side quest lines?

I believe thata lot of Railroad missions auto-complete and/or fail once you blow up the Institute; for example, all of the Weathervane missions can't be completed, but you get a glut of XP anyway, like over a thousand, that roughly equals having completed them. Blowing up the Institute also finishes/fails Human Error if you haven't finished it yet since Covenant no longer has any Institute to fear. However, after blowing up the Institute, the Railroad gives you a number of quests for killing Raiders with a penchant for hunting down and hurting Synths, and Dr. Carrington gives you repeatable missions to find stranded synths and give them care packages in the middle of dungeons.

I do believe that you can't complete Boston After Dark or its follow-up mission with the Institute destroyed, though, yeah.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Okay, so this might be asked all the time, but is there a way to convert a modded save file into an unmodded one on PS4? The Internet seems to hint that, yes, there is, but it's not in line with "gaming ethics" or something.

For the record I haven't made myself into a demigod or anything outside of the game's rules, I was just looking for something to do because Fallout 4 is incredibly dull otherwise when you've finished everything. Now it just occurred to me that there are still some neat trophies I could pick up so yeah. I've never used mods before so I didn't really get what it meant by "trophies will be disabled", I thought you could undo it whenever because I'm dumb.

Otherwise I'll just start a new game or something, I don't know.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

On PC there's a mod that reenables achievements; not sure if it's PS4-compatible or not, but might be worth looking into.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
When you use a mod it usually splits your save files and will leave an unmodded save file from the last time you played without mods.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of which I installed a few more mods, alternate starts, salvage beacons so I can dump stuff off if I want, campfires/new settlements where I want (but because of the game map I can't scrap stuff there), some other settlement stuff, and turned off the survival mod I had because even with that turning some stuff off survival is just tedious. Starting in X-01 armor with a minigun at level 1 next to a bunch of super mutants is a rough start! Fun though. I set a settlement at Breakheart Banks after clearing them out and the X-01 is broken, I have no minigun ammo (and scrapped it to make the settlement), and I'm planning next steps. I'm glad mods are in a good place in FO4 now.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 20, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm waiting for a mod that adds a big empty world map with hundreds of settlement spots and the ability to cloud sync settlements with other players, with each player having master ownership (write access) of one settlement.

Let's build this city.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MikeJF posted:

I'm waiting for a mod that adds a big empty world map with hundreds of settlement spots and the ability to cloud sync settlements with other players, with each player having master ownership (write access) of one settlement.

Let's build this city.

Hahahaha that would lag out after six or so medium settlements. Upping the cap and building a semi complex Sanctuary makes most systems die.
(I support your dreams, though)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

MikeJF posted:

Let's build this city.

People already figured a way to save and export settlements so it's probably closer than otherwise

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What do I need to make sure I steal or buy or whatever before I get kicked from the institute?

Inzombiac posted:

Hahahaha that would lag out after six or so medium settlements. Upping the cap and building a semi complex Sanctuary makes most systems die.
(I support your dreams, though)

Oh I wasn't thinking next to each other. Put the plots out of close draw distance.

It's a pity settlements can't generate distant LoD meshes.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Steal everything. Buy lots of ammo, oil, antiseptic, circuitry, crystal, fiber optics, springs. Buy the named items. Beat Father to death with your bare hands.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
There is no way to get all the faction power armor paints with out allying fully with that faction right? So there's no way to get them all on a single play through?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

xxEightxx posted:

There is no way to get all the faction power armor paints with out allying fully with that faction right? So there's no way to get them all on a single play through?

There's a point early on where you can be down with all factions and I'm pretty sure you get all the paints prior to that. So you should be good if you are making a hall of armor. If you need to pick a faction to drop, BoS is the one to do because you can get that paint with creative sniping.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Rhymenoserous posted:

There's a point early on where you can be down with all factions and I'm pretty sure you get all the paints prior to that. So you should be good if you are making a hall of armor. If you need to pick a faction to drop, BoS is the one to do because you can get that paint with creative sniping.

How with sniping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

xxEightxx posted:

How with sniping?

Snipe the powercore out of someone wearing brotherhood armor. Climb in armor. Walk away.

EDIT:

Sniping or pickpocketing the power core will eject people from their armor.

• Locked thread