Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How's the TV series Nikita? If it is worth watching, does it require any foreknowledge of other versions of the character? I have not seen La Femme Nikita with Peta Wilson, nor have I seen the film Nikita directed by Luc Besson. However, I have seen the 1993 remake of the aforementioned Besson film, The Assassin (a.k.a. Point of No Return) starring Bridget Fonda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

It's a solid Vikings-lite show and unintentionally hilarious how much the main characters stubbornness get's him into trouble.

This gets a pass from me since the show is so quick to punish him whenever he does this. Season 2 was so good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

How's the TV series Nikita? If it is worth watching, does it require any foreknowledge of other versions of the character? I have not seen La Femme Nikita with Peta Wilson, nor have I seen the film Nikita directed by Luc Besson. However, I have seen the 1993 remake of the aforementioned Besson film, The Assassin (a.k.a. Point of No Return) starring Bridget Fonda.

It's its own thing -- though there are a few cameo references and injokes referring back to the USA series from the 90's.

It's fun for what it is; there are some great spy arcs, usually in the later half of each season, and the action really ramps up around episode ten (you'll know it when you see it, the episode is excellent). Generally, it manages to do a surprising amount with very little: for years it was the absolute cheapest show on the CW, but you'd never know it for looking. It's also got some really lovely set design and lighting, (much of the same crew now work on Gotham if you want to get a sense of what they can do) and it ends pretty well despite the shortened final season.

On the other hand, there's some flat romantic character work, the show doesn't really do character driven arcs, and it seems to like the idea of comedy without actually knowing how to be funny. Basically many of the same faults as 12 Monkeys, who inherited some of its writers I think. It's no great, but it's a solid B.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The fight choreography is also notably brutal from what I remember. It's significantly better than most shows. It's not like Spartacus or anything but still.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nakita is a solid B show.

The cast makes up the slack.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

Yeah :(

Are you watching American Gods, at least?

I would be, if the US wasn't the only place on the planet that required you buy an extra Starz subscription on top of Amazon Prime to watch it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Rocksicles posted:

Nakita is a solid B show.

The cast makes up the slack.

The only issue to expect is they very quickly suffer from 'Alias' syndrome (I guess a more contemporary reference is 'Burn Notice'), where they have to keep inventing larger and larger organizations who have secretly been behind everything this whole time.

But as Rocksicles says, the cast is so much fun to watch that you don't care.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, I liked Alias a whole lot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The only part of Nikita I didn't like was the first half of season 3. Season 2 ended with some big shakeups and I thought it took them longer than necessary to find their footing again. Overall though it's a really fun spy show with a great cast.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I would be, if the US wasn't the only place on the planet that required you buy an extra Starz subscription on top of Amazon Prime to watch it.

Starz addon sub is totally worth it. You get a lot of good movies and some great shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snak posted:

Starz addon sub is totally worth it. You get a lot of good movies and some great shows.

Starting around Spartacus, STARZ became a really solid channel. Party Down, Black Sails, Da Vinci's Demons, The Missing, The Girlfriend Experience. I guess people like Outlander and Power too -- I read somewhere that Power gets the second highest ratings for cable tv shows, after The Walking Dead.

There've been a handful of wiffs, but it's mostly been pretty strong.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Addon subscriptions have made amazon prime my most used streaming service.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What about Revenge? Finish the sentence for me: "Revenge is recommended to people who enjoyed..."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

What about Revenge? Finish the sentence for me: "Revenge is recommended to people who enjoyed..."

Revenge season 1 is kinda fun....

I bailed mid season 2 though. It's not great.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
^^^ Same. It's pretty meh.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She stops actively looking for revenge in season 2 and that's when it got boring. Hiroyuki Sanada (dude from Lost) plays some kind of samurai master.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

silly-rear end nonsense

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Count of Monte Cristo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Revenge is just kind of painful to watch. And there's quite a few actors that I enjoy on it which makes it hard to turn off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Regy Rusty posted:

The only part of Nikita I didn't like was the first half of season 3. Season 2 ended with some big shakeups and I thought it took them longer than necessary to find their footing again. Overall though it's a really fun spy show with a great cast.

Yeah, I'm stalled out there. Its just not got my interest enough to go back to it over whatever other show I want to binge. The other day someone was watching Designated Survivor and I saw Maggie Q and I suddenly remembered I had to pick Nikita back up... but I'm in the middle of a 12 Monkeys S2 binge with Hap and Leonard S2, Fargo S2-3, Expanse S2, Better Call Saul S2, Black Sails S4, and probably half a dozen other shows I want to start that seem more interesting to me.

I like the show well enough but I think the problem is the stuff people praise the most like the fighting choreography or cinematography aren't things I get excited for one way or another. I'm not saying I can't appreciate them but they're not important enough to make or break a show for me as they seem for others. So I'm just kind of going with the middling character work and sometimes exciting plot.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One really strong season and then a nose-dive into badness.

Seriously REVENGE was a really fun show in its first season and had a real propulsive narrative. After that though it really is all downhill.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Mu Zeta posted:

She stops actively looking for revenge in season 2 and that's when it got boring. Hiroyuki Sanada (dude from Lost) plays some kind of samurai master.

I remember we had some good laughs about the Revenge Sensei in the Revenge thread.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The only think I know about Revenge is that a bunch of people tried to sell it on being "literally Batman if Bruce Wayne was a woman." That always felt like a bit of a stretch to me. Count of Monte Cristo sounds more true.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

STAC Goat posted:

The only think I know about Revenge is that a bunch of people tried to sell it on being "literally Batman if Bruce Wayne was a woman." That always felt like a bit of a stretch to me. Count of Monte Cristo sounds more true.

Well I mean, it WAS an adaptation of Count of Monte Cristo. So it's an apt comparison. :)

I still stand by the first season as being really well done, having just the right amount of drama, etc. Had it been 1-2 seasons with a proper wrap up, it would have been great. But no, it had to stretch on which meant conspiracies and love triangles and twists and turns.

Of course my friends and I still say "DaaaNNNnnnNNNnnnNNnniel" whenever we see Madeline Stowe or talk about the show.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The baffling thing about Revenge is that it went full in on BROADER CONSPIRACIES and giving the awful family members long drawn out storylines where they didn't interact with the main character. None of them were particularly interesting on their own, their whole point was to be loathsome so you could enjoy seeing her enact a long convoluted plot to get revenge. Instead they seemed to think it was a good idea to have her stop doing anything so they could justify keeping the whole cast relatively static.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yay! Trial & Error was renewed for a second season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, Christopher Lloyd got OLD.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

muscles like this! posted:

Man, Christopher Lloyd got OLD.

He played a doddering senile guy in Going in Style and I spent the whole movie kinda sadly wincing when he was on screen. He's one of those guys who looked old when he was still pretty young, and hasn't stopped aging.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Davros1 posted:

Yay! Trial & Error was renewed for a second season.

I really can't believe this, I 100% thought it was dead in the water and soft cancelled. I dunno if they're going to do a different case completely separate and elsewhere, or another edition of MURDER BOARD MURDER BOARD MURDER BOARD!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Couldn't tell you exactly what's they did to it, but the version of The Real Ghostbusters on Netflix is blurry and has weird neon color highlights around the edge of things.

I don't know if I can keep watching this. It feels like watching a 3D movie without the glasses.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Couldn't tell you exactly what's they did to it, but the version of The Real Ghostbusters on Netflix is blurry and has weird neon color highlights around the edge of things.

I don't know if I can keep watching this. It feels like watching a 3D movie without the glasses.

Well, waaaaaay back when Netflix first started adding certain shows to their streaming catalog they often pulled whatever copies were handy. At one point the version of the original Transformers show they had up were the same copies that were available via Bit Torrent. It was kind of odd to watch an episode on Netflix and it had the same VHS distortion that the copy I'd priated had.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used to watch Newsradio on Netflix and it had all kinds of encoding errors and the audio would start slowing down and get unsynced in multiple episodes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Well, waaaaaay back when Netflix first started adding certain shows to their streaming catalog they often pulled whatever copies were handy. At one point the version of the original Transformers show they had up were the same copies that were available via Bit Torrent. It was kind of odd to watch an episode on Netflix and it had the same VHS distortion that the copy I'd priated had.

Is there like, a better version on some other service?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lurdiak posted:

Is there like, a better version on some other service?

I don't know about where it might be available, but the show has a DVD release. The Netflix caps might be straight rips from lovely transfers, but something better might exist.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is supposedly a still from the DVD:

And this is the same scene from the Netflix version:

Looks like some kind of anti aliasing or other effect was indeed applied to it in some misguided effort to make it cleaner, which affected the colors. The dvd quality doesn't look that great either, but it doesn't have destroyed lines or colors that hurt my eyes as much, so I guess I'll be trying to find the DVDs. :10bux: :sigh:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could also watch any other TV programme.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well yeah, that was my plan in the interim.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Well yeah, that was my plan in the interim.

Don't give up on your dreams son.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to watch Newsradio on Netflix and it had all kinds of encoding errors and the audio would start slowing down and get unsynced in multiple episodes.

Their version of Amazing Stories looked like an old RealPlayer file or something, the framerate was really choppy on top of the quality being poor. It's a shame because it's a good show with some great production values for the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

This is supposedly a still from the DVD:

And this is the same scene from the Netflix version:

Looks like some kind of anti aliasing or other effect was indeed applied to it in some misguided effort to make it cleaner, which affected the colors. The dvd quality doesn't look that great either, but it doesn't have destroyed lines or colors that hurt my eyes as much, so I guess I'll be trying to find the DVDs. :10bux: :sigh:

The DVDs are as good as is available anywhere, plus there are tons of great extra materials. They explain in the little book with the Time-Life set that they tried to find the best sources available but sometimes they had less than ideal sources. There wasn't a lot of concern in saving them for the future back in the '80s.

• Locked thread