Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

After finally killing the Outrider Knight the rest of the game feels like easy mode. That rear end in a top hat was harder than any of the bosses I've faced so far

I usually try to solo-kill a boss and so far I had been doing just fine until I got to Pontiff Sulyvan, who can just go straight to hell. I beat my head against that rear end in a top hat about 10 times and he just doesn't let up, and then he summons a clone to pretty much insure you'll be trapped in an endless combo for life. I summoned a small army of sunbros and NPC phantoms to deal with that asswipe. gently caress that boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol Pontiff is easier once the phantom gets there, as now you have a slow enemy that shows you what the actual boss is gonna do.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol Pontiff is easier once the phantom gets there, as now you have a slow enemy that shows you what the actual boss is gonna do.

I find the phantom is an absolute non-issue because it dies in like one hit.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
When do you get the dude you can give boss souls to?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
im puzzled people always go "wow this boss gave me unbelievable amounts of trouble, you guys wouldn't believe it, i just could not handle the incredible, inhuman frustration from having to endure almost a dozen attempts, what mean game design that i hate"

unless i break 30-40 deaths on an encounter as a warm up it barely even registers as memorable, both the deaths or the boss challenge

after a death or three there's literally no penalty for dying anymore too, unless you just use a humanity every single go (instead of one as a last resort heal on a promising attempt)

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 18, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

When do you get the dude you can give boss souls to?

It's the legless dude in firelink. Talk to him once you get to the settlement. Beat the giant tree boss in the settlement. Give the kiln to ludleth, make boss weapons. Watch out though because if you haven't joined mound makers yet, killing the tree locks you out of it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

I usually try to solo-kill a boss and so far I had been doing just fine until I got to Pontiff Sulyvan, who can just go straight to hell. I beat my head against that rear end in a top hat about 10 times and he just doesn't let up, and then he summons a clone to pretty much insure you'll be trapped in an endless combo for life. I summoned a small army of sunbros and NPC phantoms to deal with that asswipe. gently caress that boss.

Ten deaths is a light warm up for a good boss like Pontiff. Please respect bosses and learn to fight them properly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

multijoe posted:

Ten deaths is a light warm up for a good boss like Pontiff. Please respect bosses and learn to fight them properly.

Respect Destroyed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Respect Destroyed.

But you see there's a good example! Gwyn didn't give up and Got Gud and when you next fight him he's not putting up with that parrying poo poo anymore. The playerbase could learn alot from Gwyn, hero of the Dark Souls world.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

After finally killing the Outrider Knight the rest of the game feels like easy mode. That rear end in a top hat was harder than any of the bosses I've faced so far

The real dark souls starts here

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

multijoe posted:

But you see there's a good example! Gwyn didn't give up and Got Gud and when you next fight him he's not putting up with that parrying poo poo anymore. The playerbase could learn alot from Gwyn, hero of the Dark Souls world.

On the other hand he also kept respeccing to try and beat you so can you really call that Gud?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I gained newfound respect for all the people who link the fire after killing Ludleth and having him respawn. No wonder the Lords of Cinder aren't too keen on doing it again.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It isn't look too bad in the cut scene, with it being so small and lovely now. Ludeth might have been the first lord of cinder even

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Your Computer posted:

Isn't that just taking advantage of hitboxes?

It's not just the hitboxes, it's something with the directions. I'm not sure that shield blocks even have hitboxes?? Instead they seem to check the angle of the attack (or the angle of the attacker relative to the defender? or something) vs the angle the defender is holding the shield at. That's why for example you can't use a bow to snipe someone over or under their block; your arrow will hit an invisible barrier. It works great 99% of the time but there is a margin of edge cases that players have figured out how to exploit.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I just found these bandit dual daggers and they're super fun!

e: Found the dual swords, also fun!

ee: Holy poo poo Farron Greatsword dagger combo is hilarious! I love this game!

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 18, 2017

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I might be getting Dark Souls 3 before the Humble sale ends and I have a quick question. I've played both Dark Souls 1 and 2 with mouse + keyboard and will be playing DS3 the same way. Yes, I own a controller and have reasons I don't want to use it.

Is it possible to bind mouse thumb-buttons in DS3? I wasn't able to do that in DS2 and had to find a workaround.

edit: Bought the game. It's completely possible.

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 21, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Salt and Sanctuary can kiss my rear end. That's sort of on topic right?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm going to do another run this weekend. I've beaten the base game with sword and board and a cleric with a big slab of metal to bludgeon people with.

Any interesting dex-based weapons to play with with a dodgy guy? The Sharp Crow Quills seem fun but it's a DLC weapon.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm going to do another run this weekend. I've beaten the base game with sword and board and a cleric with a big slab of metal to bludgeon people with.

Any interesting dex-based weapons to play with with a dodgy guy? The Sharp Crow Quills seem fun but it's a DLC weapon.

You only need to beat like 3 bosses to reach it though. Gundyr, Vordt and Crystal SAge. Then just rush to get the crow quills. You barely have to fight anything, dodge past the dangerous corvian and hop onto the platform.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Katanas are pretty fun and the abundance of bonfires offsets the low durability. You can get the Uchigatana as soon as you reach firelink with some ripostes.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Just properly spacing and slowly chipping the sword master down is probably safer than paries

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Juet killed him by running away to find a safer spot to duel and watched him fall down a cliff.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

There's an almost fool-proof way of dealing with the sword master, works 99% of the time (unless he tries to circle around you):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SShcxSkFpho&t=731s

(you don't need to taunt him with a fireball, that's advanced tactics)

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I'm starting a Pyromancer run, and I threw fireballs at him from max range while he kept going into his stance like he was going to parry them. Then I ran out of FP when he had like 15hp left, so I ran in to hit him once and got 2-shot. Next time I didn't run out of FP though and he got chumped.

Which quests should I keep an eye out for if I want to get Master of Sorceries/Miracles/Pyromancies?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Maleh-Vor posted:

Which quests should I keep an eye out for if I want to get Master of Sorceries/Miracles/Pyromancies?

Ya gotta do a poo poo load of covenant. I think Sorceries is the easiest one, might not require Covenants. The rest do.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ya gotta do a poo poo load of covenant. I think Sorceries is the easiest one, might not require Covenants. The rest do.

Almost. You need rank 1 in Aldrich's Faithful for Great Deep Soul.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So I'm doing pretty okay on my first run I think. Just finished the deacons and the giant skeletal lord dude. I've settled on a long sword and a stone parma for now, they seem pretty good. Keeping my vigor/end/str/dex fairly equal. I just read that I've locked myself out of Patches and I guess Seigmeyer (?) by lighting the spooky fleshmonster lady's bonfire before I found him. Welp, see you two in NG+ then I guess.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

So I'm doing pretty okay on my first run I think. Just finished the deacons and the giant skeletal lord dude. I've settled on a long sword and a stone parma for now, they seem pretty good. Keeping my vigor/end/str/dex fairly equal. I just read that I've locked myself out of Patches and I guess Seigmeyer (?) by lighting the spooky fleshmonster lady's bonfire before I found him. Welp, see you two in NG+ then I guess.

Uh-huh. So... Did you ever go up to the tower behind Firelink Shrine? I've heard there are lots of great treasure at the top, you should go check that out

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
There's a tower behind Firelink? Huh, I've never noticed it before.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I also only met patches at the tower like, a couple runs in? I didn't meet him the first time I went there for some reason, maybe I already met him somewhere else.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

Ah jayzus

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've beaten the base game without too much trouble but now I'm getting clobbered by a tree. Either I was using my shield as a crutch or I'm getting too old for videogames :(

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The crow quills are amazing, holy crap. The hard part is getting to them. That Freddy Krueger bird guy is a total jerk until I learned that his psychotic swiping works to your advantage because for some reason you can just spam parry with reckless abandon and riposte the sucker down.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's the crow knights with that use the quills themselves that are the real pain to fight.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Oh man, Boulder Heave is hilarious.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the name. When you first read it you're like "Oh, heave as in throw a boulder". But no. The game means heave as in blow chunks. As in "throw up a boulder."

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fighting Iudex Gundyr was somehow harder as a mercenary than as a warrior. Took me 8-9 tries this time. The individual swords have no force to them compared to the axe, and I can't quite figure out how to effectively dual-wield or throw bombs at the right time. I nearly fried my brain in the 90 minutes that took me.

Also how many hours does it take to figure out parrying?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 21, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In my case, infinite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Its hardly mandatory at least..but it feels cool as hell