Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's not, though. If you are gonna be a dick on SA at least have the decency to be witty about it. We have standards. We paid a price.

its all nice on rice posted:

Holy poo poo you stupid grandma. If I turn on my brights and lay on my horn when you pull out in front of me, the answer is not to keep lazily pulling into traffic and give me a friendly wave, like I just let you merge, as I'm grabbing my brakes.

Yesterday I watched a beyond ancient old man (90+?) spend 5 minutes bent over, eyes six inches from the keyhole, trying to get a key into the drivers door of his jetta so he could drive away. When I left, he was still catching his breath... in the drivers seat. gently caress this gay country and it's lax licencing laws.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Buhbuhj posted:

It's funny that in 2017 PCOS Bill can still bait people into getting upset.

Wtf you talking about chiche isn't a person

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It thought he was an experiential AI that's run amok.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

its all nice on rice posted:

It thought he was an experiential AI that's run amok.

I thought "AI" was short for "Artificial Intelligence" :confused:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Intelligence doesn't make something smart.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

*feels the staring eyes of others while wearing motorcycle gear in public*

"Do you have a motorcycle?"

"Aren't you hot wearing all that??"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

The_Raven posted:

Word. I bitched them out in a reply to a survey the other day. gently caress the 20 dirtbags on dirtbikes that are restricted from riding 1/1000 of this gagnormous land mass, gently caress the graybeards and their prehistoric iron garbage that won't run E10. How about actually PROMOTING MOTORCYCLING by making commuting a more attractive option? It will get more people on bikes if they can filter through the shitstorm of commuting fucktards! The AMA is just like the NRA - an organization that represents manufacturers and patronizes owners, using them as muscle for their lobbying efforts on behalf of the manufacturers. The only reason I'm a member is for the cheap roadside assistance.
My hair is going gray and I have a bike from 1956 that I run ethanol in all the time. Works loving fine. No marvel mystery oil lead additives or anything. The only problems ethanol causes are in bikes that sit unused for long periods of time. You can guess who those people are. Ride your bike, dickheads. I'm only an AMA member for amateur racing.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
It causes plastic gas tanks to swell too, whether the bike is sitting or not.

The entire ethanol situation is retarded from every angle, but there are plenty of more useful things the AMA could be lobbying for/against instead of tilting at that windmill.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Had my first experience threshold braking sans ABS last nite in the city courtesy of a Range Rover blowing thru a stop sign and cutting across 3 lanes of traffic at a 45 degree angle directly towards me starboard in their hurried attempt to make an illegal U-turn with all the grace of a sow pumped full of ketamine - I'll spare the rest of the spicy details but if you drive a late model Range Rover I hope you and your occupants die inside it via fire and noxious fumes (quite likely outside of warranty).

Impkins Patootie fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 19, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

King of the Beach posted:

Had my first experience threshold braking sans ABS last nite in the city courtesy of a Range Rover blowing thru a stop sign and cutting across 3 lanes of traffic at a 45 degree angle directly towards me starboard in their hurried attempt to make an illegal U-turn with all the grace of a sow pumped full of ketamine - I'll spare the rest of the spicy details but if you drive a late model Range Rover I hope you and your occupants die inside it via fire and noxious fumes (quite likely outside of warranty).

Usually what happens is the driver gets pulled out and has his head bashed in by undercover cops but it's been a while so I might be remembering wrong.

tjones
May 13, 2005
If this is true then this loving steams me to no end thinking about idiots like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/6c4tex/got_an_interesting_email_about_yammin00b_accident/

If you aren't, you should be carrying substantial amounts of insurance coverage. The smallest accidents can absolutely wreck your financial standing, not to mention major ones like this. This fucker is an absolute piece of poo poo if after all this he won't be able to cover the damage he has caused. And bankruptcy will most likely see to it that he is dissolved of more responsibility than he should be entitled too.

I've had people scoff when asked how much my premiums are for my R6, and then humble brag about how cheap theirs are (it's even a leader bike, bro!). I've never had a points deducting violation or wreck in my life and I pay through the loving nose for comprehensive and liability because my coverage limits are nearly maxed.

Uninsured motorist is a good idea too.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I would have assumed a Porsche owner would have good car and medical insurance in the event of a yammienoob. Shouldn't his own insurance cover the balance?

I still haven't owned a bike worth enough to pay for comprehensive, but I've always kept higher than min coverage for other things.

tjones
May 13, 2005

hot sauce posted:

I would have assumed a Porsche owner would have good car and medical insurance in the event of a yammienoob. Shouldn't his own insurance cover the balance?

I still haven't owned a bike worth enough to pay for comprehensive, but I've always kept higher than min coverage for other things.

I didn't look into the guys situation so I can't comment. For all I know he could also be trying to scam good people out of charity the same way Yammi fucktard is trying to do.

I see the minimum coverage insurance thing a lot and it pisses me off to no end.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I only have minimum liability coverage, even on my Jeep

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ain't nobody surprised by that you ol Dennis nedry lookin mfer

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

:allears:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hot sauce posted:

Dennis nedry lookin mfer

dang

does pcos bill really look like dennis nedry?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wayne Knight is a white guy, I'm Hispanic, but otherwise dead on, except for the weight, facial features, height, and just about everything else. I mean I guess we have similarly dark hair but that's about as far as it goes.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Everyone should be carrying at least 100/300 and uninsured/underinsured coverage.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

Everyone should be carrying at least 100/300 and uninsured/underinsured coverage.

This. I've full coverage on the drz even. It isn't for single vehicle incidents, it is for when someone tries to wipe me off this rock.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

revmoo posted:

Yep, and you might want to look into an umbrella policy too, especially if you have a decent net worth.

Speaking of insurance: I'm in no way putting any blame for that accident on the Porsche driver, but I am a little surprised that he was driving a financed P-car without either gap insurance or under/uninsured motorist coverage that would at least have the bank off his back about the note on the car. "I'm a responsible person, I'm not going to wreck" might sound good in your head but it doesn't do poo poo to protect you from loving morons like YN.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

tjones posted:

If this is true then this loving steams me to no end thinking about idiots like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/6c4tex/got_an_interesting_email_about_yammin00b_accident/

If you aren't, you should be carrying substantial amounts of insurance coverage. The smallest accidents can absolutely wreck your financial standing, not to mention major ones like this. This fucker is an absolute piece of poo poo if after all this he won't be able to cover the damage he has caused. And bankruptcy will most likely see to it that he is dissolved of more responsibility than he should be entitled too.

I've had people scoff when asked how much my premiums are for my R6, and then humble brag about how cheap theirs are (it's even a leader bike, bro!). I've never had a points deducting violation or wreck in my life and I pay through the loving nose for comprehensive and liability because my coverage limits are nearly maxed.

#HangYammieNoob

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I have no idea why you would finance a new vehicle and not get gap insurance. It's just mind blowing to me, especially on a car that's going to lose 15k in value the second you take it off the lot.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Buhbuhj posted:

I have no idea why you would finance a new vehicle and not get gap insurance. It's just mind blowing to me, especially on a car that's going to lose 15k in value the second you take it off the lot.

It was a 2006 or 2007, not new

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Whoa I'm getting schooled by PCOS Bill. Yeah, I can't read. Statement still stands for new vehicles though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Buhbuhj posted:

I've done it. If you are making a big enough downpayment then you will never be underwater.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I took gap insurance on all my vehicle loans over $10k. I mean, it's only been two, and I've never had to use it. Glad I've never had to use it, but also glad it was there just in case.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

tjones posted:

Wow your insurance systems are loving weird over there. The lowest insurance tier I can get on any vehicle includes up to 20 million property damage for third parties. But as to YNoob, god drat he's an idiot. You don't go out without proper insurance, especially if you've financed the poo poo you're on. It just seems he's an aggressively stupid person and is very lucky to have lived as long as he has. Hopefully he doesn't kill someone or breed before Darwin catches up to him.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Insurance agent here, so I'm certainly biased. However, I'll stand by the statements saying that you're an idiot if you don't carry substantially higher limits than the minimum. If you can't afford adequate insurance, then you can't afford the bike.

Also, getting UM/UIM/UMPD insurance is such a good idea. It's usually pretty cheap, and it gives you a ton of value. It would have covered the Porsche owners medical expenses had he purchased it. Also, in some states, it's your only protection from hit and run drivers.

Lastly, your collision and comp coverages should be considered. Comp is the only true protection against theft, vandalism, and insane situations like your bike getting destroyed by a flood. Collision would replace the Porsche owners car if he had purchased it. I'd be genuinely amazed if he didn't carry both coverages on a Porsche. Collision pays out regardless of who is at fault, so the cost of the Porsche should be covered.

I'm going to sound like a commercial here, but seriously, get adequate limits and appropriate coverages for you situation and risk tolerance. Talk to your agent for guidance.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I called my agent asking her about coverage prices for every bike I was looking at. It ranged from "reasonable" to "hahaha don't buy that."

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just :lol: if you don't check coverage prior to buying a vehicle, and don't have full comprehensive, plus plenty to help the other guy. I could yammienoob into a lambo and be fine. Insurance is relatively cheap, so don't cheap out on it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I mean, I didn't check rates on my SV, but it was a $1500 trackbike with 22k miles; you just can't say no to that sort of thing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fanelien posted:

Wow your insurance systems are loving weird over there. The lowest insurance tier I can get on any vehicle includes up to 20 million property damage for third parties. But as to YNoob, god drat he's an idiot. You don't go out without proper insurance, especially if you've financed the poo poo you're on. It just seems he's an aggressively stupid person and is very lucky to have lived as long as he has. Hopefully he doesn't kill someone or breed before Darwin catches up to him.
Same here :sweden:. The idea that you need to choose an amount that your insurance covers for third parties is completely alien to me. Basic "traffic insurance" is mandatory here and if a motorised vehicle does not have traffic insurance it's not legal to drive. Traffic insurance covers damage to third parties' person and property up to a total of 300 million sek (~35 million usd). It partly covers your own medical expenses, but it doesn't cover damage to your vehicle or other property if you're at fault, nor does it cover theft, fire, etc.

If you drive without traffic insurance and cause an accident, there's a national traffic fund which will pay out similar to a traffic insurance to third parties, and then turbofuck you with retroactive premiums (which are much higher than the insurance would have costed in the first place) to make it up, in addition to a criminal charge and associated fines for unlawful driving.

Since everyone has to pay into it, the premiums for traffic insurance are actually pretty low. If I remember correctly it was about $150/year for my Ninja 650. I'm paying about $400/year for full coverage with a $100 deductible.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Did someone screenshot that Reddit post? It's deleted and I can't quite figure out who did or didn't do what.

FWIW I think I pay $300 a year for everything on my S1000XR. 250/500/100 plus a 2M umbrella for liability and $500 deductible on comp/collision. Insurance in America isn't that expensive if your credit and driving record is good.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
As a newbie rider, I wish I could put my yearly premium into 3 digits. :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Same here :sweden:. The idea that you need to choose an amount that your insurance covers for third parties is completely alien to me. Basic "traffic insurance" is mandatory here and if a motorised vehicle does not have traffic insurance it's not legal to drive. Traffic insurance covers damage to third parties' person and property up to a total of 300 million sek (~35 million usd).

Since everyone has to pay into it, the premiums for traffic insurance are actually pretty low. If I remember correctly it was about $150/year for my Ninja 650. I'm paying about $400/year for full coverage with a $100 deductible.

Welcome to :911: where the FREE MARKET decides these things instead! In order to get $35-million coverage here, where driver training is like "drive around the block and then back into a parking space", I expect you'd have to pay like, I dunno, $5000 a year or something. $150 a year will get you a few hundred thousand in coverage, which will cover like one broken leg and a couple of days in the hospital because the American medical system is an absurdist nightmare.

It's alternately hilarious and crushing.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

rdb posted:

Did someone screenshot that Reddit post? It's deleted and I can't quite figure out who did or didn't do what.

FWIW I think I pay $300 a year for everything on my S1000XR. 250/500/100 plus a 2M umbrella for liability and $500 deductible on comp/collision. Insurance in America isn't that expensive if your credit and driving record is good.

Who's your insurer? I'm paying like $550/year through Allstate on my Multi for 100/300/100 with 500/100 deductibles and no umbrella, and that's with homeowners/auto multi policy discounts and excellent credit and driving records.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I still don't really understand motorcycle insurance rates. I'm paying a little under 500 a year for the same stats as Jazzzzz on my Tuono but I know someone similar age with no accidents who is getting quoted over 1000 a year for a sv650.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pushing "old" with mediocre credit, living in the city, no at-fault accidents or tickets on record, and about $400/yr for incredibly low coverages on my FJR.

There's too many variables going into a rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Probably because there are a higher percentage of wadded up sv650's than Tuonos. Isn't insurance just a metric for how many of those bikes have been trashed a week off the lot