Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

So can we just skip to the dumb stupid finals already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Apparently Wilt Chamberlain played professional basketball when he was 16 under a false identity

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6cbgx1/wilt_chamberlain_secretly_dominated_professional/

Because of course he did

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

E2M2 posted:

He's been the best player in the league for awhile now

Yeah, that's why it is so impressive that LeBron is on par with him

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Cool Buff Man posted:

If they got one of those guys plus Hayward it would be worth giving it a shot, I guess, but they won't and they have no answer for Lebron on the horizon. I was in the "trade the pick" camp for a while but I would much rather have a chance for a really special future instead of being resigned to getting beaten up by big boys for the next couple of years

Ah yes, trust the process

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says with Lakers Dwight Howard “didn’t want to do any work and Andrew Bynum did not want to do a lot of work"
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/kareem-abdul-jabbar-says-lakers-220055523.html

Tae posted:

Is this what the forums were like with bulls fans back in the 90s

There would've been much complaining about Rodman joining the Bulls.

IT vs. LBJ 2017 recap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUug-j7itE8

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Apparently Wilt Chamberlain played professional basketball when he was 16 under a false identity

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6cbgx1/wilt_chamberlain_secretly_dominated_professional/

19 FGs and 6-15 from the FT line. 100% Wilt confirmation.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Out of all the poo poo wrong with Dwight Howard, the guy is pretty much a gym rat. I think his back was still majorly hosed up in LA.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jota posted:

Ah yes, trust the process

Kinda, it's a little bit of the reverse cuz I only think this way now that we can get Fultz guaranteed. But I mean what else do you do when you get the 1 seed and then lose in the worst way in team history, Hayward or George or Butler isn't gonna suddenly erase all of their rebounding and big man issues. Danny Ainge will also not supermax Isaiah Thomas in this world or any other

I would understand trying to plug in a piece or two to make it work if they were putting up a fight instead of getting utterly dismantled

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 20, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

There are left wing parties in Turkey that aren't Kurdish but they're small, because the generals spent as much time smashing them as they smashing islamists.

Rick said the Celtics were Denver Nuggets under Karl esque regular season team who would lose to any real team in the playoffs, and look what happened.

Faulty memory, my bad

They have so many first round picks in a time of inflating salaries that hitting on some of them could keep them in really good position for a long time. What they have now is a nice collection of scrappy players and a fatally flawed pg who can carry a team with good shooting, offensively. Just adding Jimmy Butler and Gordon Hayward at a time when all their role players contracts are expiring is too much of a short term play. Lebron probably has 3 more really good seasons and he might play 3 or 5 more after that. The Warriors are going to be split apart in 2-3 years because of tax, so building for the future makes sense.

An ex of mine is a non Kurdish Turkish commie. She got tortured in prison after a protest and her hand was all hosed up. This would have been around the time Erdogan first got the PM but I'm not sure if it was just before or just after.

I think some of y'all are underratint the impact of a guy like Butler or George. Look at the difference Kawhi makes in SA, if the parts fit a guy like that can totally change your team. Butler would be especially good with that kind of shooting around him.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

IT out for the rest of the playoffs
Kawhi out for game 3.

Two teams going undefeated until the finals might actually happen.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
WORST PLAYOFFS IN HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

^^Yep

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/866056201238347777
Not even the home team wants to watch this poo poo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Warriors are going to gently caress it up and relax for game 4

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I dunno, I think the subtext of LeBron finally meeting a worthy adversary three years in a row makes for good basketball; similarly the Warriors got super lucky because just four years ago they were an afterthought. There was no way these two teams weren't going to meet again for the title, so I like that they blew everyone out to ensure it

A shame about everyone else though

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
For ratings purposes the matchups are good, the quality of basketball is just so wildly disparate, but you know those finals commercials gonna be mad money

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Finally? The spurs dunked and beat lebron so badly that the team dissolved

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

An ex of mine is a non Kurdish Turkish commie. She got tortured in prison after a protest and her hand was all hosed up. This would have been around the time Erdogan first got the PM but I'm not sure if it was just before or just after.

I think some of y'all are underratint the impact of a guy like Butler or George. Look at the difference Kawhi makes in SA, if the parts fit a guy like that can totally change your team. Butler would be especially good with that kind of shooting around him.

I think Butler would make the team better. Fultz could be a solid defender. But they'd still not have anyone to guard Lebron. Maybe they can swap next year's nets first round pick and Crowder for Marcus Morris and Stanley Johnson and Detroit's pick, trade this year's pick for Jimmy Butt. They really need a better defensive center too. I can't find any way to keep any of their picks and get the pieces they need to beat Lebron, and not be 100m over the cap.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 21, 2017

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I hope the Finals are a sweep too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Butler basically got an absolute trash team into the playoffs by himself. I actually think he's underrated.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Butler is arguably the 2nd best one-on-one defender on Lebron after Kawhi. That is super valuable on any team alone.

It's still hilarious that his first interview after being drafted was "I will guard Lebron. Gimmme Lebron" and it came true.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I also think Butler (and George for that matter) becomes more valuable when they don't have to do everything on offense too.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Tae posted:

It's still hilarious that his first interview after being drafted was "I will guard Lebron. Gimmme Lebron" and it came true.

Someone should dig up every instance of rookie poo poo talking because there are a lot of good ones. Marcus Morris did not, in the end, become Carmelo Anthony with more defense

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Celtics trade their first and (someone probably Crowder) for Butler
Celtics trade swap rights for the nets pick to Detroit for Detroit's first round pick this year/next year, their decision, Marcus Morris and Stanley Johnson
Now they have cheap players who can guard Lebron, don't have to pay Crowder. Maybe they re-sign Isaiah Thomas and just play Rozier longer minutes. Maybe they don't sign IT.
Then there's finding a defensive center if they keep IT, maybe draft someone? I don't know

PG: ?
SG: Butler
SF: Morris
PF: Brown
C: Horford
second unit

PG: Rozier
SG: Bradley
SF: Smart
PF: Jerebko
C: Olynyk/drafted center/picks traded for established defensive center

They can't really trade Horford unless he likes the destination, but there's a possibility of flipping him for a better defensive center and sacrificing his playmaking and shooting, and getting a pick or something in return.

I just don't quite see their path to the finals with George or Butler, without Lebron getting hurt, if they don't make some radical trades, trades that could gently caress up their nice offense.

That's why I'm in favor of just taking the golden cost controlled nets pick eggs and cherishing them. Although if I was a Boston fan I suppose I would trust him to make trades more than I would trust him to draft the right players.

The choice seems either go 100% in, trade all the picks now, or keep all of the picks. A mix of the two, doesn't have the right historical player progression timelines

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 21, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

chunkles posted:

Someone should dig up every instance of rookie poo poo talking because there are a lot of good ones. Marcus Morris did not, in the end, become Carmelo Anthony with more defense

Marcus Morris will be as good as Carmelo, he did not specify 35 year old melo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

IF BOS needs a center, 2018 draft has like 400 of them.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

Butler is arguably the 2nd best one-on-one defender on Lebron after Kawhi. That is super valuable on any team alone.

I don't think Kawhi has ever been especially great against Lebron, except in the finals against the Spurs, and that came with perfect execution and Tim Duncan at the rim (the most important time, but still) and Jimmy Butler has been solid. To guard Lebron you need not just Jimmy Butler, but several other Lebron sized players to throw at him. You also need a great defensive center. My hypothetical pistons trade gives them the most valuable non superstar contract in the league and three guys who can guard Lebron, and two of them can be on the floor at once.

Then the rest of your defense has to be perfectly executed, with strong rim protection and you have a chance, if you're also making a ton of threes and getting to the rim.

How does this Celtics team become that?
This is four team deal territory and cooking up a team that could beat the cavs and stand up to the Warriors, built with the Celtics assets, is a kind of fun thought exercise.

Would the Pacers trade Paul George and Myles Turner for Fultz, Crowder, and Olynyk? They'd probably want more.

I think Washington likes Mahinmi, he was really solid when healthy, but maybe they want breathing room and trade him for a low price to the Celtics, to free up cap space and build a bench?

This is making me soundlike Bill Simmons. I just can't quite find the pieces they trade for that make them better than Lebron and his Cavaliers. That's why I have to shrug my shoulders and say. keep the picks.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 21, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If Boston can get Hayward I think they should trade for Butler. That'd give them IT, Butler, Hayward, Crowder, and Horford in a lineup. That's pretty drat good and would have a window of a few years. They'd also have a decent bench. They also still have the Nets pick in 2018 if they are thinking long term.

If Boston can't get Hayward, they're probably better off just keeping the pick and drafting someone with it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

is igodala going to healthy for the finals?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Niwrad posted:

If Boston can get Hayward I think they should trade for Butler. That'd give them IT, Butler, Hayward, Crowder, and Horford in a lineup. That's pretty drat good and would have a window of a few years. They'd also have a decent bench. They also still have the Nets pick in 2018 if they are thinking long term.

If Boston can't get Hayward, they're probably better off just keeping the pick and drafting someone with it.

That team cant beat CLE but it would be good.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol we're going to get a DNP-Rest in the playoffs aren't we

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Niwrad posted:

It's a good team, but it's a team that still won't be able to defend the Cavaliers, unless Jaylen Brown gets much better and Rozier becomes enough of a shooter to just leave IT on the bench for 60% of the game, and Horford becomes twice as agile. It also goes with an IT contract that makes keeping their depth really hard.

Maybe they sign IT to a contract, wait a year and trade him for some decent starter who can defend his position and make shots. Because those 7-10th seed teams could become 4 seeds with IT, that's playoff revenue, more gate money.

It's a puzzle! It's a tough nut to cook! It's impossible to tease out without sounding like Bill Simmons!

Lebron is the demon blocking their mountain pathway to enlightenment and I think he will remain in place for long enough that they should accept that they're a good but not great team and build for the future.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

In the past I think the teams that played best against lebron didnt do it by trying to "stop him" but by just denying his passing options. Now tho he's built a team where every player can shoot so it's much more difficult.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think Butler would make the team better. Fultz could be a solid defender. But they'd still not have anyone to guard Lebron. Maybe they can swap next year's nets first round pick and Crowder for Marcus Morris and Stanley Johnson and Detroit's pick, trade this year's pick for Jimmy Butt. They really need a better defensive center too. I can't find any way to keep any of their picks and get the pieces they need to beat Lebron, and not be 100m over the cap.

Dedmon might be available, or perhaps they could get RoLo into the mix on the trade, maybe get creative and move IT to a third team to get more assets for Chicago. A Butler/Bradley/Crowder/Horford/Lopez lineup may not have a Lebron stopper, but it's going to gently caress up the rest of Cleveland bad enough it could work. Huge depth boost as well, Boston has shown they can look like stars against backups or lower tier starters. Lebron teams have lost to squads that had no strong answer for him directly before (GS in 15, Dallas in 11)

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Boston could get both Butler and Hayward this off-season but they'd have to absolutely gut their depth to do it.

Waive Tyler Zeller and Jordan Mickey
Trade Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley the 1st overall and another future first for Jimmy Butler
Renounce all their free agents (Amir Johnson, Jerebko, Olynyk, Gerald Green, James Young)
Bring over Ante Zizic from Europe on the rookie scale
Draft a player with the 37th pick but either stash overseas or sign to the new two-way D-League deals their other two second round picks
Sign Gordon Hayward to a $30.3m max contract in free agency
Use the Mid-Level Exception to sign another decent free agent for $8.4m (Tony Snell, Shabazz Muhammad someone like that)
Fill out the roster with vet min sal deals

If you did the above then you'd be able to run

Thomas
Smart
Butler
Hayward
Horford

With Jalen Brown, Zizic, Demetrius Jackson, Terry Rozier, MLE FA, 37th pick, and vet minsal guys as your bench.

Then in 2018 FA you max out Isiah Thomas and in 2019 max out Butler and probably go deep into the luxury tax as a result. It would completely kill the Celtic's flexibility to go down that route, though you could still get an impact rookie with the Brooklyn pick in 2018, but it would definitely vault them into the third best starting five in the league next year if they could pull it off.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
when do the NBA playoffs start?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I have no idea if he's available or what the price would be but I think Drummond would be a really good fit. :shrug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I have no idea if he's available or what the price would be but I think Drummond would be a really good fit. :shrug:

They said good defender, Drummond is not that

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

They said good defender, Drummond is not that

He actually improved a lot in the second half of the season and finished as one of the best paint defenders, and he was operating with one nostril.

If they traded this year's pick for jimmy Butt, traded next year's and Crowder for Drummond and Morris, maybe after free agency ends to make sure the nets are still a bottom 3 team, and somehow also got Gordon Hayward, then they'd have a chance.

But Drummond is a playoffs liability because of free throws, though having Horford could mitigate that to some extent. But I think that team might have like 130m in salary

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 21, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

That team cant beat CLE but it would be good.

I don't know. They'd have like 3-4 years to try. Boston is still a good team despite what happened in this series. And you'd be adding two top-15 players in their prime to it.

I guess it comes down to how good they think Fultz or Ball will be. Are they franchise altering guys or just guys who project to be fringe All-Stars in the league?

tanglewood1420 posted:

Boston could get both Butler and Hayward this off-season but they'd have to absolutely gut their depth to do it.

They still have a bunch of assets they could use to improve the bench. Believe they have a future first from Memphis and the Clippers in their pocket. Plus some extra second rounders.

I also don't think they'd have to give up Crowder and Bradley to the Bulls in that deal. Bulls should be happy just getting the 1st pick. To make the numbers work they could use Zeller instead of Crowder. I think they'd be able to keep Crowder if they renounced Olynyk although maybe my math is wrong.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Zogo posted:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says with Lakers Dwight Howard “didn’t want to do any work and Andrew Bynum did not want to do a lot of work"
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/kareem-abdul-jabbar-says-lakers-220055523.html

I know he's working for the Lakers right now but Philly should back a dumptruck up to the charity of KAJ's choice and hire him to work with Embiid and teach him the ways of the sky-hook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Remember when Iggy got a finals MVP for "defending" LeBron.

Maybe LeBron remembered it whe. He pulled off the biggest moment of his career ahhhh the symmetry on last years finals was so perfect

Entire series tied up until the last 3 minutes of game 7. 2016 was one of the greatest finalses of all time

• Locked thread