Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
there's a humongous gap between the two, starting with being able to reach inaccessible mons

the progression from asking around of where to go, to looking at Silph road user submitted map, to automatic maps is way less of a jump

hell, I consider buying coins to be cheating and it's directly encouraged by the game

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Math You posted:

You can play the game however you want, but half the thread comes out complaining about spoofers, and barely take one breath before mentioning their scanners.
The complete lack of self awareness is incredible. Half of the replies to my post are still people defending their style of cheatingplay.

Cheat all you want, just own it! Sorry if my admittedly abrasive posts rub you the wrong way, but I spend too much time reading CanPol I guess. You can say mean things on the internet without literally frothing at the mouth IRL though.. just in case you were concerned.

I still firmly believe anybody who cruises around residential neighborhoods with their heads down playing Pokemon are worthless human beings though. If you want to drive around because whatever at least pull over before loving with your phone. Thanks :)

lol

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The great pokemon go debate lfmao

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

mastershakeman posted:

there's a humongous gap between the two, starting with being able to reach inaccessible mons

the progression from asking around of where to go, to looking at Silph road user submitted map, to automatic maps is way less of a jump

hell, I consider buying coins to be cheating and it's directly encouraged by the game

There's also a humongous gap between visiting fixed spawns that you heard about from word of mouth / the internet and then scanning a map for live, random spawns.

GPS spoofing would also be close to useless if the scanners weren't around. The scanner is definitely the more powerful of the two tools.

Anyway my message is nothing if not consistent. Don't complain about cheaters if you are cheating. And don't dick around on your phone if you are driving.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I got my tyrannitar up to level :bubblewoop:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

mastershakeman posted:

Well to be fair microtransactions kinda grew out of cheats and trainers in the first place

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I only somtimes use a tracker because knowing there are rare things popping up near my house and at my work with no means to see what they are is not a good way to run this game. Give me a way to switch between nearby and a pokestop tracker and it'll solve everything.

I'm at 231/231 in my dex with the vast majority coming from eggs and LOTS of walking to evolve. When you think about it most of the events we've had covers most of the dex, and if you read about rare cluster spawns at parks you can fill out the rest. I only need Unown and Miltank at this point.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Math You posted:

You can play the game however you want, but half the thread comes out complaining about spoofers, and barely take one breath before mentioning their scanners.
The complete lack of self awareness is incredible. Half of the replies to my post are still people defending their style of cheatingplay.

Cheat all you want, just own it! Sorry if my admittedly abrasive posts rub you the wrong way, but I spend too much time reading CanPol I guess. You can say mean things on the internet without literally frothing at the mouth IRL though.. just in case you were concerned.

I still firmly believe anybody who cruises around residential neighborhoods with their heads down playing Pokemon are worthless human beings though. If you want to drive around because whatever at least pull over before loving with your phone. Thanks :)

The closest Pokestop in any direction of my house is five miles away. There's a couple of them down the road from that one, but otherwise there's another large dead zone of about 5 miles until there's another cluster. The closest rare spawn to my house is a 30 minute drive (because I'm a cheater and use a scanner, I know this for a fact because in the last 5 months of playing, the only rare spawn near me was a Snorlax, twice). If I didn't have a scanner to tell me this, I would have quit playing a long time ago because the only Pokémon I could catch that could be useful and competitive in a gym would be Vaporeon. The way Niantic has set up spawns in this game in rural areas is hosed. If I ever had the chance to catch Pokémon that are actually useful, I might not be using a scanner. But I don't, and I like playing this game with my friends, so we do. It's not like using a scanner automatically means you're getting amazing poo poo either, it just means that I can find out that a Larvitar finally spawned 45 minutes away and we might be able to get it, then get owned because it's CP 20 and 0IV.

Actually that brings up another point, am I a horrible cheater because I check the IVs of my Pokémon instead of wasting all my Stardust to find out that the one Dratini I found by myself without a scanner has 5IV? I guess so because it's not built into the game. drat, I'm such a cheater.

I obviously agree with you about using your phone and driving, though, because that is hosed up.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The difference between spoofing and using maps is one directly replaces how you play. I'm even a little lax on spoofing if you live in a poo poo area with no stops around and wanted to go somewhere with stops to fill up on items. That, and for handicap people that can't get around normally.

There's a ton of issues with the game that players have had to make up for. IVs aren't listed (your trainer's advice blows) so sites like pogonexus came up, the in game scanner is poo poo, so people created their own scanners and maps. It's hard to see what happens in gyms that aren't nearby so gymhuntr was created. Yeah these are all technically TOS breaking, but make the game immensely more enjoyable. Niantic should have factored in these sort of things happening and accounted for it. The only one they did add was the gym trainer giving you an IV estimate.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Curious about that Twitter post. I also wonder how Legendaries will work in gyms. I'd be happy if they just had a decently capped HP/CP.

Two Instinct gyms at my local park. I go to the level 2 one and find a Mr. Mime. Well gently caress that noise, I am not kicking him out! Instead I took a screenshot and posted it on Facebook for anyone close who needed him as a sighting. Aaaand within ten minutes an rear end in a top hat Valor (I am team valor too but c'mon man!) took the gym down. WTF did you do that for, rear end in a top hat!

I have knocked out almost 30km since the event started, and my feet are killing me. But 40 more candy and I can get Ampharos. 40 more. I need to find some mile-long train track and ride the kiddy train for a few hours.

And holy poo poo people in Phoenix are huge babies about this event. Crying how it sucks and they hate it and....why? Because we are a usual rock area and they expect a million Larvitars everywhere. Bitch, people in grass and water areas were probably pissed for the last two events! I love hearing when people get a new event and actually get new poo poo, because I remember how loving stoked I was to get something new or get just enough candy to evolve.

Other than the regionals, I am set for the NA dex, but I love the exercise and I love getting out and battling at the gyms with people or pokecaching the tiny toys I got on Wish and Amazon.

Yeah it is going to be hot as balls very soon but for now, I can do a few miles a day and just need to buy new shoes every few months.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Matoi Ryuko posted:

The great pokemon go debate lfmao

The pokeprole must seize the means of pokeproduction

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Using a scanner is definitely cheating, but it doesn't affect other players like spoofing to take down gyms does :shrug:

To me it's about the same difference as between cheating in singleplayer vs cheating in multiplayer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

The closest Pokestop in any direction of my house is five miles away. There's a couple of them down the road from that one, but otherwise there's another large dead zone of about 5 miles until there's another cluster. The closest rare spawn to my house is a 30 minute drive (because I'm a cheater and use a scanner, I know this for a fact because in the last 5 months of playing, the only rare spawn near me was a Snorlax, twice). If I didn't have a scanner to tell me this, I would have quit playing a long time ago because the only Pokémon I could catch that could be useful and competitive in a gym would be Vaporeon. The way Niantic has set up spawns in this game in rural areas is hosed. If I ever had the chance to catch Pokémon that are actually useful, I might not be using a scanner. But I don't, and I like playing this game with my friends, so we do. It's not like using a scanner automatically means you're getting amazing poo poo either, it just means that I can find out that a Larvitar finally spawned 45 minutes away and we might be able to get it, then get owned because it's CP 20 and 0IV.

Actually that brings up another point, am I a horrible cheater because I check the IVs of my Pokémon instead of wasting all my Stardust to find out that the one Dratini I found by myself without a scanner has 5IV? I guess so because it's not built into the game. drat, I'm such a cheater.

I obviously agree with you about using your phone and driving, though, because that is hosed up.

People who live in cities and play Pokémon Go are cheaters.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

I have a friend who hit 40 back in January. It wasn't until after she hit 40 that she started hitting the feeds for high IV stuff. She barely ever does gyms and is currently sitting on 8.5 million dust. Her goal is 10M and even then, I don't think she'll ever spend it.

I wonder if Sunkern are abundant due to my latitude. Are you swimming in Swinub?

I've caught 2 out here in Southern Los Angeles. Also at 221/223 since I started March 23rd this year without a scanner, just luck and great events /shrug.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
There's no such thing as ethical training under catching 'em all.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

a sexual elk posted:

I've caught 2 out here in Southern Los Angeles. Also at 221/223 since I started March 23rd this year without a scanner, just luck and great events /shrug.

Sunkern by the ton out here in Phoenix. Swinub nest at least once a rotation.

If we can't ever trade mon, I'd be fine trading just items. I have 5-6 sunstones and iron coats and 5 upgrades I'll never use.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

a sexual elk posted:

I'm in the Valley.

I was at over 1000 Sunkern candy after the grass event.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

I'm in the Valley.

I was at over 1000 Sunkern candy after the grass event.

85 near the beach was enough to keep me from walking, good luck in the valley

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
I've only hatched two larvitars so far and never seen one in the wild. After walking one that's 96% around for 400km I get my first tyrannitar and it's got iron tail and fire blast. I need another 120 candies to get it to my max level (I'm 34 now). Even if I walk my rear end off I probably won't make it this week although I can get most of it.

Should I just power this guy up and not worry about the crap moves? He'd be my highest cp guy by a lot. Seems like that might be wiser than rolling the dice again on another one and still not having the candy to power up.

Or is the smart move to not make a huge investment of candy/dust at all before the gym rework?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The New York Times posted:

I've only hatched two larvitars so far and never seen one in the wild. After walking one that's 96% around for 400km I get my first tyrannitar and it's got iron tail and fire blast. I need another 120 candies to get it to my max level (I'm 34 now). Even if I walk my rear end off I probably won't make it this week although I can get most of it.

Should I just power this guy up and not worry about the crap moves? He'd be my highest cp guy by a lot. Seems like that might be wiser than rolling the dice again on another one and still not having the candy to power up.

Or is the smart move to not make a huge investment of candy/dust at all before the gym rework?

Wait but unless you have someone else to walk for candy, walk his rear end while the candy is cheap.

Anyone got a list for what fire mon can now have solar beam?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The New York Times posted:

Probably wait to see how the gym rework pans out, but if they stay committed to the CP system then he's still gonna sit at the top of most gyms, so don't worry about his moves too much.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone got a list for what fire mon can now have solar beam?

Pretty sure Ninetails and Typhlosion are the only ones that can.

edit: sorry double post

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Late to the debate but stop playing this game

I've stopped already and will stop again tomorrow after i get my 7th day adventist spin

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I'm almost tempted to. Went for a 6 km walk. App up all the time. Phone in my hand et cetera. Caught pokémon just fine (almost no rocks, grounds, or fossils, though, just loads of good, o'l birds and bugs). Full 4G and GPS the entire time. No spinning white ball, and not a meter tracked for my buddy or my eggs. -_-

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Got another Up-grade today. :negative:

All I want is a Metal Coat and a Kings Rock and I can stop caring.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
J/k about not playing. I'm waiting for the day Niantic sees how special of a player I am and decides to feature me as the new start up screen message telling everyone in the world how cool I am and not letting anyone play the game until they scroll through my entire collection and tapping the [Wow, this is so cool!] button to get through each one.

Any day now

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Got a dragon scale, bitch, oh yeah!

We could seriously end the childhood obesity poo poo if schools had POGO. Since Thursday I have walked (not driven, just walked) 38 loving km. My feet are loving on fire and it's hot as balls and I plan to hit at least 12 more before this is over.

I swear if PHX had a storm move in and Wednesday's high was 70* I would call out sick.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I really wish it would log all my distance ran...I log a modest 45 km per week right now. Only logs close to actual if I am going like 6 mph or slower. At least running it while driving picks up a little slack if it's in town ( I'm not playing, it is just idling with battery saver on)

The journal trick works on, but I'm watching for Pokemon during events like this, so not much chance to use it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
journal trick?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, what's that?

In the time it took me to read the post and click reply, mastershakeman posted the exact same thing I was going to post :laugh:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Only missing Unkown and Porygon2 (and regionals but gently caress it) to finish my dex :toot:

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Got a dragon scale, bitch, oh yeah!

We could seriously end the childhood obesity poo poo if schools had POGO. Since Thursday I have walked (not driven, just walked) 38 loving km. My feet are loving on fire and it's hot as balls and I plan to hit at least 12 more before this is over.

I swear if PHX had a storm move in and Wednesday's high was 70* I would call out sick.

It'd be nice if Phoenix wasn't biome-handicapped. This Rock event is a bust because it doesn't feel like the Pokemon spawn mix around here changed at all.

There are probably other major cities where the grass event was a bust in a similar fashion too so I guess I can't complain.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I noticed that if I open my journal and walk/run till I reach a known stop, exit and spin it, I log distance much more accurately.

Can't catch Pokemon this way though.

Apparently this was a known thing on Silph road at some point. Can't be driving or going too fast, but helps when running.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

I'd seriously like to hear how someone with a no scanner policy got their Dex past, say, 200 entries without also getting word of mouth on best spots to go to (word of mouth likely derived from scanners)

Exactly 200, here. Zero communication regarding any pokemon spawns (I wouldn't even really know how). I hike a lot and have traveled to several different biomes this year. I also really like sorting and tracking my mons, so I'm always walking the one closest to getting me a new evolve and stopping to catch ones that I need just a little more candy for a new evolve.

The key, I think is, is that I have ZERO A-tier mons. No dragonites, Tyrannitars, none of that magikarp evolve, no blisseys. Oh, one snorlax, which just popped up on my radar one day. It's remarkably easy to get an extreme variety of useless trash mons

Interestingly, I don't think a lot of my novel mons have come from eggs. Is there a way to tell how many new guys i've hatched?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 21, 2017

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'm up to edit: 278 285 292 Larvitar candy, been pinap catching Larvitar all over Dallas thanks to our scanner network. Niantic has been messing with the API and mass banning scanner accounts though, so it's not all smooth sailing. If you ain't cheating you ain't trying.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 21, 2017

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I've seen/caught 1 larvitar so far (edit: ever). If I was some weirdo who actually wanted a poo poo load of slugma and geodude candy I would say that this event is amazing.

I guess the rhyhorn candy is something :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
A high IV rhydon makes for an adequate gym sitter, so, yeah, it's good to have. I believe someday Golem will be worth having...someday...so get those Geodudes.

I've caught ~6 larvitars. I expect to have one okay-ish Tyranitar and that's okay with me.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The rarity of lapras in 10k's is insane

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

comatose posted:

I've seen/caught 1 larvitar so far (edit: ever). If I was some weirdo who actually wanted a poo poo load of slugma and geodude candy I would say that this event is amazing.

I guess the rhyhorn candy is something :shrug:

Geodudes are like Pidgeys. Collect and mass evolve them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
There seems to be an interesting new ban type affecting people with the 3rd party app warning/scanner accounts.

You can still log in, but you won't see rare Pokemon. So if your personal or local scanners are missing a lot, that's probably why.

• Locked thread