Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Fuckin' awesome fish man, nice get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Sorry for the phone posts, but went over to the Yampa over the weekend. Fantastic cutbows and browns. Tons of medium-sized rainbows but these two were the big prizes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Fuckin' awesome fish man, nice get!

Thanks, it is close to my personal best and by far the largest I have ever actual weighed.

Got into some white perch yesterday, got maybe 24 of them, with about 8 at this size;

Also found two sweet-rear end fish skulls;

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Three of us went to a local tuna hotspot today and trolled around for a bit. Eventually we hooked up to an absolute monster southern bluefin tuna, I have never felt anything so strong before in my life (and I have hooked several 200kg+ rays). We were only using a small overhead so we had to chase it around in the boat until it tired enough to start inching it towards the surface. We'd just got a couple of wraps of the 200lb leader around the spool when it gave one last kick which pulled the leader off and broke the mainline at the leader knot. By this stage we'd had the thing circling about 4m below us for about 10 minutes and it was huge. loving devastated to lose it.

Now I'm looking for a second hand 50W because gently caress taking on a fish like that with a little Penn Squall again

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Got a new weapon for on the water

Found a heap of Australian Salmon, name is misleading it's not the salmon you are thinking of. poo poo eating up this way. "Pungently flavoured, coarse, and slightly oily flesh makes Australian salmon less desirable as a food fish" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arripis

It's a tough life

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I got this cool dude while bottom bashing for flathead in 45m today

They taste fantastic but you need to watch the spines because you'll be in a world of pain if you get stung.

ElZilcho posted:

Got a new weapon for on the water

Found a heap of Australian Salmon, name is misleading it's not the salmon you are thinking of. poo poo eating up this way. "Pungently flavoured, coarse, and slightly oily flesh makes Australian salmon less desirable as a food fish" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arripis

It's a tough life

noice

I'm guessing from the size of them you're in WA? I found a small bust up today and we had a bit of fun flicking little slugs at them with the whiting gear until some fuckwit drove right over the school

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Yeah in WA, the salmon are plague like at the moment. We were down in Bremer Bay and there are still a heap around there. The above photos were north of Perth.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Went out to my favorite fishing corner, and made a new friend while I was there! Seemed like a nice day for fishing, the mullet were jumping. We jawned on about random bullshit for about three hours before he hooked up a spotted trout on a live mud minnow rig. Unfortunately, as he was pulling it on the dock, it spit the hook. Fortunately, about 15 minutes later, he hooked up on and even bigger one, and pulled it onto the bank. But it spit the hook just as it was over the crest of the water! So my dude had to run around the dock to go grab it. That was a real heart pounder!

I still havnt caught anything out there, but it's such a darn pleasant spot I cant help but keep going. It's over some oyster beds in a bend in the channel surrounded by grass flats and loaded with crabs, minnows, and perriwinkles. I like casting, so I've tried spoons, spinners, maribous, top water stuff, a midwater suspended fake mullet, and different synthetic baits. Nothing's worked yet, but it's all good fun. Water quality is fairly muddy, maybe I should try a buzz bait. And maybe bring my crappy old rod and throw a 2oz weight and a hot dog on a circle hook and feed the crabs.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 23, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Those wierdo salmon might be "ok" if smoked no?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A lot of people smoke them, I haven't really enjoyed the taste of them smoked compared to other species. I've heard they're good as sashimi, pickled or bled, chilled, blood line cut out and eaten the day they're caught.

Personally I've found the only way to make them taste good is to put a cutlet on a 8/0 and turn it into a gummy shark or something

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yesterday I went fishing out at the pond by the dog park. Started casting, then got lazy and just threw some hotdog out there, which had been working for the nice lady next to me on the dock, but she must have gotten all the hungry ones. Oh well, a lovely day out anyway. Weather was threatening so I didn't head out to my oyster bed spot. Dog was annoyed that she was not constantly at the dog park. She also stole a hot dog.

Doing errands downtown today, but that does not mean I can't also be fishing in my head. Here's two beauties I caught in the local bookstore after a bit of lunch.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

bongwizzard posted:

I would assume the bass in that lake are spawning right now, which make them tough to get. I would try to find their beds, look along the shallow spots close to deep water, where I maked in Gray.

Ended up making it out here today. As I headed out to the rock spot with the red line in the grey circle a bass boat came in at speed of light and started beating the poo poo out of the docks. I sat out in the middle of the water and watched them for a little while, and realized they were fishing ONLY the docks. So my thinking was that I would fish exclusively between the docks.

Paid off! Caught 2 dinks under 1lb BUT I didn't get skunked, and my tactic paid off. Caught them with in 5 casts of one another, between to completely separate dock locations. The 1st one snatched it immediately once it hit the water, the second wanted a start-stop action on that Arashi squarebill. Snapped the pictures before I brought them in because it was just easier than trying to micromanage the treble hooks, paddle yadda yadda.

Now to pull in some bigger fish.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yesterday I went fishing out at the pond by the dog park. Started casting, then got lazy and just threw some hotdog out there, which had been working for the nice lady next to me on the dock, but she must have gotten all the hungry ones. Oh well, a lovely day out anyway. Weather was threatening so I didn't head out to my oyster bed spot. Dog was annoyed that she was not constantly at the dog park. She also stole a hot dog.

Doing errands downtown today, but that does not mean I can't also be fishing in my head. Here's two beauties I caught in the local bookstore after a bit of lunch.

Nice looking dog! Same color as my girlfriend's dog, lol.

Where in Florida are you? I've had great luck wading around oyster beds and flats throwing shrimp under a popping cork or jigging DOA CAL Shads (glow or white color) on a mission fishing weedless jig (1/8oz).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

tesilential posted:

Nice looking dog! Same color as my girlfriend's dog, lol.

Where in Florida are you? I've had great luck wading around oyster beds and flats throwing shrimp under a popping cork or jigging DOA CAL Shads (glow or white color) on a mission fishing weedless jig (1/8oz).

Jax. I've been experimenting with popping corks, but conditions never seem to favor me. I have some silver shads out of the discount bin I really like the action on, I'll have to try some more jigging with them (except the dock I usually fish over is not super deep).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrZIA8dSzsQ

Here is a cool video this guy did about largemouth bass.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Pops caught a nice King in a derby today, he's in the top apparently. Will find out results in about 3 hours.

Edit: 2nd place! 24.85 lbs and 575$!! The top fish was 26 lbs.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 21, 2017

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Had a good day Saturday despite some early boat troubles and a storm looming the whole time. Had 2 that were in the slot that were ~4 lbs. All were caught on wacky worms of various colors including the catfish.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

bongwizzard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrZIA8dSzsQ

Here is a cool video this guy did about largemouth bass.
This is an excellent video and should be watched by anyone who fishes for bass.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
If anyone is looking for a knockaround ultralight setup Academy had an ugly stik gx2 spinning combo for $33 marked down from $50. The reel isn't terrible and the rod seems solid. I used it all day yesterday just doing some bream fishing and enjoyed it. I may go back and grab another if they're still on sale. Ultralights are fun on a bun and everyone should have at least one rig.

http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-combos-spinning-combos/ugly-stik-gx2-spinning-combo/1314552.html

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

hamsystem posted:

Ultralights are fun on a bun and everyone should have at least one rig.
:agreed:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I got a nice tenkara rod for Chirstmas this year, specifically a Tenkara Rod Co Teton Rod. I've only managed to get out a couple of times this year with it but I love it! Unfortunately I was out fishing last week with my dog on a leash, and my excitement at landing a fat sunfish paled in comparison to that of my dogs who decided to snatch the fish right of the hook which snapped the tip of my rod.

Tenkara Rod Co is sold out of tip replacements for this model. I've already emailed them to see if they have any on the way. My other thought is that the Iwana rod from Tenkara USA has pretty much the same specs and might work. If not are there any good ways to fix a tenkara tip? I'm bummed cause summer hiking to a far off pond or river season is upon me and I hate to miss out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Get ahold of the guy who runs tenkarabum.com. He is like an absurdly helpful dude and will likely be able to help you. I emailed him with really basic question and we emailed back and forth for like a week.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

hamsystem posted:

Ultralights are fun on a bun and everyone should have at least one rig.

I once caught a snapping turtle on my ultralight, and I like to imagine that I have some perspective on moby-dick era whaling now. Landing it without breaking the line was hilariously overwrought.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Been waiting to find a good deal so I could put together a new worming rod. It's a 7' medium with micro guides. They're normally $100 but Amazon had it for$70. The reel isn't actually made anymore. The company went under in maybe 2013. This particular model was around $120 when it was new. I got this one NIB off eBay for $45. The front wave bar is gimmicky but it casts really well and feels solidly built. My dad has 5 or 6 of the cheaper models and I liked them. If it lasts more than a year I'll feel like I got my money's worth.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

stealie72 posted:

I once caught a snapping turtle on my ultralight, and I like to imagine that I have some perspective on moby-dick era whaling now. Landing it without breaking the line was hilariously overwrought.

Did you then realize the game was over or did you really unhook him and not cut the line? I wouldn't gently caress with those fellas

Also I see the above good looking Abu Garcia rod: Anyone know what the minimum I need to spend for both a rod and reel from Abu before they went made in China? Or would a used rig cost me a good deal too? It looks like some of their 600 dollar combos don't even mention being made in Sweden anymore, is this possible? Is life bad?

extra stout fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 4, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

extra stout posted:

Did you then realize the game was over or did you really unhook him and not cut the line? I wouldn't gently caress with those fellas

Also I see the above good looking Abu Garcia rod: Anyone know what the minimum I need to spend for both a rod and reel from Abu before they went made in China? Or would a used rig cost me a good deal too? It looks like some of their 600 dollar combos don't even mention being made in Sweden anymore, is this possible? Is life bad?

Buy and Avet reel instead of the Abu Garcia. My last Abu Garcia went strong for 25 years but the build quality on the ones they are trying to sell for $100 is not great.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

extra stout posted:

Yeah, I was able to wrap him in a rag and hold on while I got the hook out w my leatherman.

Wasn't about to put my fingers anywhere near his beak.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

extra stout posted:

I have 4 reels in that range and so far they are going strong after the last year. I have the Black and Red, Silver with the flip switch, and black and gold. I mainly got them in combos, or used them as a gap step from having gear from 15 years passed that I had no confidence in, or the old reels I had needed a few hours of attention.

The black and gold (maxx?) by far is the best quality. The spool tightener has positive clicks and it seems stouter. I bought it in a combo and currently slapped some braid on it and use it for frogs and soft swimbaits.

Thinking about it more, 2 of my 15 year old baitcasters were right hand reel, which I find counter intuitive and can't find and strong documentation on why I would throw with my right and then put the road in my weak hand to set the hook and reel with my right hand. I do not accept "because the pros do it" or "you don't lose that much time switching hands." I can see losing a fish I had a few weeks ago with that way because it hit my bait the moment it hit the water.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So now I'm all about the surf/ocean fishing. I am going up to Boston for a few weeks, what sort of lures should I get to fish my 6.5' medium heavy from the shore/dock? And what type of fish should I be targeting?

I'm not going to get a Striper, obviously, but I think it could handle a bluefish.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 4, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
If you want fishing reels not made in China I think you need to step up to the $300 range, at least that seems to be how it works for Daiwa and Shimano.

The Yen has been really weak for a while now and I have been able to buy some incredibly nice older Daiwa reels on eBay for like a quarter of the retail price. The only issue is that they are often cosmetically beat to poo poo. For some reason Japanese bass rods don't have hook holders so guys just hang there lures off the front of the reel frame.

I'm currently pretty obsessed with finesse casters and managed to pick up a Daiwa Alphas Finesse Special for like $120 shipped. It retailed for around $350-400. I spent 7 bucks to replace the drag washers and like 30 bucks on a set of modern ceramic bearings, now that little thing can chuck a weighless trickworm further than I can set the hook.

It's a little homely compared to the other Alphas reels, but it is a lightweight casting beast.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I've always been a penny pincher when it comes to my fishing gear. There's definitely a noticeable difference between high and low end stuff, but imo you get into some serious diminishing returns in the $100 rod range. Same thing for reels really. If you take care of your gear you should be able to use them for a long time.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hamsystem posted:

I've always been a penny pincher when it comes to my fishing gear. There's definitely a noticeable difference between high and low end stuff, but imo you get into some serious diminishing returns in the $100 rod range. Same thing for reels really. If you take care of your gear you should be able to use them for a long time.

Agreed. The $60-$100 range is where you can get some great value for money as far as rods go. I do have some more expensive gear which is really really nice to use but in reality probably does only 10% more than what an equivalent $100 rod does.

Below that range and you start to get into some pretty tacky gear with only a few exceptions.

As for being made in China, some pretty nice gear comes out of there now. I'm fairly sure most Fin Nor and Quantum stuff is made there including reels like the Lethal which got a pretty good review from Alan Hawk

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hamsystem posted:

Eh, I have always been pleased with each little bump up in quality, so far my "nicest" is a Loomis IMX but it is noticeably more sensitive and crisper feeling then the entry-level St. Croix it bumped into the number two spot. I'm about to pick up my first high-end rod, an entry-level Megabass, so I guess I shall see if it is worth it.

Again, there are some very nice rods coming from Japan and Southeast Asia. The Japanese company Majorcraft has a ton of different lines at varying price points and the two I have from them fish extremely well. I picked up a $50 ultralight casting rod from a Malaysian company named Kuying and and it's absurdly good.

Like with reels, there are a ton of incredible deals out there and I don't think I paid full retail for any of my gear. American Legacy fishing is currently blowing out their stock of the older Loomis IMX rods for like iirc 30% off.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

As for being made in China, some pretty nice gear comes out of there now. I'm fairly sure most Fin Nor and Quantum stuff is made there including reels like the Lethal which got a pretty good review from Alan Hawk

The huge gulf between salt and fresh is always surprising to me. I am approaching true turbo-nerd status for bass stuff but non of those (I assume salt) brands or names are familiar to me.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

The huge gulf between salt and fresh is always surprising to me. I am approaching true turbo-nerd status for bass stuff but non of those (I assume salt) brands or names are familiar to me.

Quantum do a bunch of baitcast reels which I assume people would use for bass but Fin Nor is mostly saltwater fishing. Both brands are owned by Zebco if that is more familiar (most fishermen here in Australia have never heard of Zebco but Quantum and Fin Nor are relatively well known)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

I picked up a $50 ultralight casting rod from a Malaysian company named Kuying and and it's absurdly good.

Never heard of them until now, it looks like there's a few available on ebay though. How does it rate compared to a more well known brand?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Never heard of them until now, it looks like there's a few available on ebay though. How does it rate compared to a more well known brand?

Mine is an UL casting rod, so most brands don't even make anything like that. It is a cool rod though, super soft tip that can, with a decent bfs reel, fling a 1/16oz spinner as well as any UL spinning rod that I have used. But the Kuying has a far stuffer backbone and I feel way more confident that I can handle a surprise stripped bass with it then with my other UL rods.

There is a guy on TackleTour who is a big booster for them. Dude seemingly owns thousands and thousands of dollars worth of high end gear but will buy cheaper stuff on aliexpress and put it through the paces. He turned me on to the Kuying rods when I was looking for a budget UL bfs rod but wasn't sure that I would use it enough to want to spend big money on a JDM one.

The build quality on them is excellent, far better than most US mass-market rods in that price range. They also use surprisingly quality components, or knock offs that are good enough as to be indistinguishable by the super nerds.

For $50 I think they are great if you want to try finesse casting or any niche application. I'm glad I went that route as I really don't actually use the combo very much, but I do plan on taking it smallmouth fishing later this summer and really see what it can handle.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Not a great picture, but it shows how fit in the blank is how it looks with a small reel mounted on it.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agreed. The $60-$100 range is where you can get some great value for money as far as rods go. I do have some more expensive gear which is really really nice to use but in reality probably does only 10% more than what an equivalent $100 rod does.

Below that range and you start to get into some pretty tacky gear with only a few exceptions.

For freshwater absolutely. For salt you need to get closer to $200 to have a light, smooth, strong quality reel that will hold up.

Stradic is the optimal price/performance ratio reel IMO. It's only a slight step down from the sustain which is nearly double the price and it is more solid and sealed versus the next step down, the Saros.

I'm perfectly content with a 99.99 Redbone over a gloomis or pricier shimano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I'm glad I don't have easy access to saltwater fishing. Well, my wallet is anyways. Bass fishing is a bad enough rabbit hole to fall down into.