Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
These promotions make me laugh everytime. Sure, Genny. You just get 10 more HP when becoming a Saint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Just got it today... I think I'll like Clair as a character, but her STR stat... oh boy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

OddObserver posted:

Just got it today... I think I'll like Clair as a character, but her STR stat... oh boy.

In her intro scene I just wanted to push her back in the cell and walk away, but her character the rest of the time seems good. I shoved some attack fountains into her and while she's not soloing anything it seems pretty handy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zombie dragons are scary.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Alexis Tipton confuses me so much, because for the longest time I thought Melissa Fahn was back and voicing Clair.

Also, going from Setsuna and Felicia to Catria, you couldn't convince me they were the same person.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is Boey just real bad or am I getting a case of the ol' bad RNG.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is Boey just real bad or am I getting a case of the ol' bad RNG.
he's got pretty terrible speed and a low speed base. he does give hit in all his supports though. pretty much the only way to make good use of him is to feed him the speed well at the start of celica's route.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

he's got pretty terrible speed and a low speed base. he does give hit in all his supports though. pretty much the only way to make good use of him is to feed him the speed well at the start of celica's route.

Well alas, that chance has passed. Though he's really been the only character not pulling his weight across both parties. Which is pretty solid honestly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Boey is good by virtue of being a mage. Ignoring terrain and hitting from 3 range is always better than sword user #4.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

Boey is good by virtue of being a mage. Ignoring terrain and hitting from 3 range is always better than sword user #4.

If Saber keeps hitting his speed and strength growths I don't think this is true.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The mage girls are pretty universally better than the mage boys in this one

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Saber criticaled the necrodragon twice in one fight and killed it from 80% health lmao

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If Saber keeps hitting his speed and strength growths I don't think this is true.

Saber ain't sword user #4, like Atlas or Jesse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually, the pro gamer 101 shadows of valentia tier list

alm route:

alm tier: alm, mathilda

great tier: silque, gray, clair

good tier: faye, tobin, kliff

7.8 too much water/10 tier: tatiana, zeke, clive

decent tier: lukas, luthier, python

filler tier: spoiler man

nino tier: delthea

forsythe dying to a witch five times in a row due to the power of mila's turn wheel tier: forsythe

celica route:

literally the only reason this game is beatable tier: saber

the peg sisters tier: catria, palla

great tier: kamui, genny, celica, mae, leon

good tier: dean, sonya, spoiler man

valbar: valbar

need to be fed some kinda well tier: boey, est

heals a guy once tier: nomah

not as bad as forsythe tier: jesse, atlas

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Delthea is Nino if Nino joined a quarter of the game earlier and had exclusive use to a gently caress off nuke of a spell

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is it a spoiler if it's obvious

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was also much less impressed by Mathilda but that could be bad luck with growths

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Saber hasn't been that useful to me since Valbar joined. The only thing he's there for is to activate the golden dagger for free supplies, but that's about it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
also i decided i have another criticism: characters saying dumb things when you get 1-stat level ups when 1-stat level ups are the norm and to be expected, unlike in awakening/fates

Tae posted:

Saber hasn't been that useful to me since Valbar joined. The only thing he's there for is to activate the golden dagger for free supplies, but that's about it.

give him an actual sword

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
I'm glad Valbar and Palla are here to put the entire team on their back and carry them to victory while they themselves are on the back of 20 million summoned soldiers carrying them.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
gently caress every desert chapter.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ungulateman posted:

also i decided i have another criticism: characters saying dumb things when you get 1-stat level ups when 1-stat level ups are the norm and to be expected, unlike in awakening/fates

give him an actual sword

Yeah why can't these people be happy with mediocrity

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ungulateman posted:

But they're happy as hell when they get a 2 statter? I don't get it.

ungulateman posted:

give him an actual sword

He has a fully upgraded golden dagger, it is stronger than a steel sword or the blessed sword. He is not doing more damage than Mae who's throwing Aura like there's no tomorrow or out-move the White Wings or hit from great distance like Boey or Leon. He's just one of many melee guys who can kinda tank but can't.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

But they're happy as hell when they get a 2 statter? I don't get it.

Because 1 stat is below the norm but 2 or above is good!

Also about Saber, it's weird to say he's supposed to tank considering mine has not hit a single defence growth but has been getting strength and speed nearly every level. What a powerful and handsome man.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
What's the difference between using the wheel and restarting?

Also my lukas and Clair won't gain support points when they're next to each other. Am I missing something?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Holy poo poo this is so much better than Fates

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pastrymancy posted:

Also my lukas and Clair won't gain support points when they're next to each other. Am I missing something?

Some characters get passive bonuses from being near each other but they don't have a support and don't get support points. Lukas and Clair are like that. Same with Alm and all his villager pals outside of Faye.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pastrymancy posted:

They don't gain support points because they don't have supports

Lukas's only support is with Clive

Before you ask, Clair and Clive don't have supports because I dunno

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Pastrymancy posted:

wheel lets you go back by phases/actions, instead of map start

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Is there any sort of reward or medal for never using the wheel to reset time? I think it's a real cop-out, but I'm also looking at losing half an hour of gameplay to an unlucky crit, so I might use it if there's no "penalty".

I only ask because I know there's medals for at least one challenge type thing.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pastrymancy posted:

You get a limited number of uses with the wheel, so while you could roll it all the way to the beginning, it'd be kinda a waste unless you didn't save or something like in a dungeon map.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

also keep in mind theres some innate supports without a rank, but still give bonuses for proximity
clair and lukas off the top of my head definitely have one

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vernatio posted:

Is there any sort of reward or medal for never using the wheel to reset time? I think it's a real cop-out, but I'm also looking at losing half an hour of gameplay to an unlucky crit, so I might use it if there's no "penalty".

I only ask because I know there's medals for at least one challenge type thing.

There's just medals for beating the game on hard and on classic, and there's a medal for using the wheel so.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

Strange Quark posted:

There's just medals for beating the game on hard and on classic, and there's a medal for using the wheel so.

I heard there was one for beating he game in under 500 turns or something.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah there was that too. Here's the full list: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/medals/

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Are gold coins that rare in the game? I got like 1 on Alm's route and can possibly get infinite on Celica's route because Golden Dagger produces infinite trade ins. I was gonna change the golden dagger into zofia but saw some that require 5 gold pieces.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I've been getting a lot of Shadow Dragon-esque level ups lately. Is it bad luck or are growth rates that bad?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I've been getting a lot of Shadow Dragon-esque level ups lately. Is it bad luck or are growth rates that bad?

Everyone has low growths, and that's good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Growth rates are low and a level of just attack or speed is honestly pretty drat sweet. Alm and Celica are the main exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Bad growths just mean the numbers get higher when you promote

• Locked thread