Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

ManMythLegend posted:

So trip report: I was wrong and you were totally right. Commit // Memory is better then Wildest Dreams in every way.

I think Memory Lapse would be a good spell even in today's Standard and Timetwister is eternally good for some decks. But yeah, there's a lot of value in just saying "no, I don't want to deal with that" to almost everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
3-1 FNM

Beat Mono Zombies, BW Zombies and that goofy cycle everything deck.

Lost to GR Pummler due to poo poo draws.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

This triple format thing on SCG owns.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ThePeavstenator posted:

This triple format thing on SCG owns.

Yeah it's dope but. Also, GP Montreal has almost 3k more viewers.

Do people really care about Standard all that much?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

80s James Hetfield posted:

Yeah it's dope but. Also, GP Montreal has almost 3k more viewers.

Do people really care about Standard all that much?

I think it's more that a GP is going to pretty much always trump any other event.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think it's more that a GP is going to pretty much always trump any other event.

Standard interest is higher than it's been in a while , although not anything impressive.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Anybody looked at or played something like this modern list? It's another variant of the hardened scales + constrictor gameplan, this time with the spike feeder + archangel of thune combo. It might be better than the previous abzan iteration of the deck, which I found is far too fragile for my local meta. At least with the combo, you can draw to outs and/or extend the game a turn or two if necessary.

https://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-calebd-modern-big-mana-scales/

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Walked posted:

Cannot wait to watch some of this SCG event. They have the best coverage and team is a fun format.

Cedric and Patrick are for sure great, but I can't stand Matthias and Ryan. Especially Matthias's voice and laugh are so grating.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheDemon posted:

I think Memory Lapse would be a good spell even in today's Standard and Timetwister is eternally good for some decks. But yeah, there's a lot of value in just saying "no, I don't want to deal with that" to almost everything.

commit to memory is a great card but conflating commit with lapse and memory with timetwister is a bit disingenuous imo

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I'm interested in this R/U standard deck, cause I think a ton of cheap removal and then some Gearhulk finishers would be fun.

Also, maybe I can ruin it by adding some pet cards like Kefnet to it.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
U/W Vehicles huh?!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I have the feeling this standard will be dominated by control decks

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jeff Hoogland is really bad at legacy, hoooooly crap.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

En Fuego posted:

I'm interested in this R/U standard deck, cause I think a ton of cheap removal and then some Gearhulk finishers would be fun.

Also, maybe I can ruin it by adding some pet cards like Kefnet to it.

You say that, but from what I hear Kefnet is supposed to be pretty helpful against the mirror matches. I think UR Control is pretty well poised right now.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Won my game day of a whopping 11 players with Mardu Vehicles. I managed to dodge both Marvel decks, and the competition wasn't great besides the last game against an Eldrazi deck with Elder-Deep Fiends; I sided into Walkers and out valued him after burning him out game 1.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Went to my second Game Day ever and took it down! Waffled between decks, ended up taking WB Zombies. We only had seven show up, I guess graduations today hosed with our attendance, but I'm not complaining.

Round 1 was against the Amonkhet Gideon Planeswalker deck. This was brutal, and I almost felt bad. Dude just got back into Magic and was at the store today, saw there was an event, and snatched up the deck to play. Won this 2-0.

Round 2 was against a Grixis Control deck. Won 2-0 after he couldn't grind me out. I resolved a Gideon Game 2, and he scooped two turns later.

The Finals were... weird. Guy was on Temur Midrange, with an energy theme. Played Bristling Hydra (this card was such a pain to me), Glorybringers and Elder Deep Fiends. Went to time, ended up drawing after turns in Game 3. Clerk put our result in, and the computer had us play another match.

Now, I've never drawn in the Finals, and I didn't know how it was SUPPOSED to go, but we rolled for turn for our second match. I won, but he ended up crushing me Game 1 anyway after landing two Glorybringers. I win Game 2, and I keep a Game 3 hand with two Liliana's Mastery's. He ends up scooping after I resolve a THIRD Liliana's Mastery and starts complaining that we did the second match wrong, that he was top seed and should have been on the play (he won that game anyway, so whatever).

He still said his GG's, but he kept complaining while we opened our prize packs. And then I opened an Invocation (Maelstrom Pulse), which brought the salt out again. I'm gone after that, but I'm sure I'll be hearing about that next time I see him at draft.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 20, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I'm glad they still choose horrible loving art for the playmats. IMO, the last good Gameday mats were Anguished Unmaking following loving Xenogod out of Theros block.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

AlternateNu posted:

I'm glad they still choose horrible loving art for the playmats. IMO, the last good Gameday mats were Anguished Unmaking following loving Xenogod out of Theros block.

Pretty funny that the champion's play mat is a depiction of a champion getting straight murdered

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

suicidesteve posted:

Jeff Hoogland is really bad at legacy, hoooooly crap.

Was he on Aluren or was he on that terrible mono red deck he was scrubbing out of tournaments with months ago?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, I'm not wild about the art, but I'm still unrolling this bad boy for every match until it falls apart or I win a new one :shobon:

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

Was he on Aluren or was he on that terrible mono red deck he was scrubbing out of tournaments with months ago?

b/w stoneblade

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

TwistedNails posted:

b/w stoneblade

Is he still on his "I refuse to play brainstorm / force / blue cards" trip?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Can someone explain what the hell just happened and why the ruling make sense?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Dehtraen posted:

BW Stoneblade, with a bunch of bad cards, making several terrible plays in just one game.

The worst/only one I specifically remember was probably ulting Lili and splitting 2 Maze of Ith vs 3 lands. While he had 2 creatures with more than 2 toughness out. And his opponent was at 1 life. I assume/hope he lost game 3 but I wasn't really watching.

Dehtraen posted:

Yes. It makes him a better player because *fart noises*

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

I have no idea because he is super hateable, I only knew his deck because he was on camera.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Went 2-3 at game day playing UR control. I need to get more Sweltering Suns and maybe Pull from Tomorrow.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

didnt hoogland lose his poo poo over being called jeff boohoogland

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

I think he quit Reddit or something because they wouldn't ban a user named that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Yes. Jeff can't take any criticism on any level. He has the thinnest skin anywhere. Even though he has said he will not post anywhere he doesn't have mod control , he always comes back. He has had to globally clear his permabans on his twitch channel twice because the banning were starting to affect the small numbers of people willing to watch his stream.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the difference between jeff hoogland streaming and say, lsv or caleb durward is like, loving amazing

i don't see why you would even have the chat if you can't handle being trolled a little, like seriously

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

LSV, Caleb D., and Shaun McLaren all know how to laugh it off and have fun when they stream it makes them very likable and fun to watch. Jeff is so thin skinned it's crazy to me that he even tries doing the public figure twitch streaming thing, he can't take any criticism or trolling.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

the difference between jeff hoogland streaming and say, lsv or caleb durward is like, loving amazing

i don't see why you would even have the chat if you can't handle being trolled a little, like seriously

I think darkest mage is the only magic person who can give hoogs a run for his money. That guys ban list must be epically big.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Baugh should concede that game to let the other team into day 2. He was done and locked out.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I made top 4 at a PPTQ today, which is my biggest Magic accomplishment besides winning a Game Day a few years ago (beating Trevor Humphries), going 4-0 at a prerelease, and being randomly selected for an FNM promo.

I got anxious during the draft and tanked it a bit. My first pick was between the Red Trial, Cut//Ribbons, and the BG Beetle. I took the trial. My logic was that if I was cut from black, then Cut was just a removal spell, and the Trial was reusable (I ended up with two Cartouches). Then I passed an Enigma Drake for something I don't even remember, which put the guy to my left into UR Spells. I ended up in Jund with the green god and lost to a super fast RG exert deck.

Fun time though!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Baugh should concede that game to let the other team into day 2. He was done and locked out.

Agreed, he was done.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I'm pretty sure Hoogland legit hates Legacy so I'm not sure why he keeps trying to play it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Shadowmoor/Devoted+Druid#paper

Holy poo poo. 8 copies on tcgplayer.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 21, 2017

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The worst thing about price spikes is that I now feel obligated to look through all my poo poo in case I have some :(.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Marketing New Brain posted:

The Marvel match up is good, but my sideboard had 4 transgress and 2 dispossess. sounds excessive but I only boarded in 3 transgress vs Marvel (and both dispossess) and I needed more hand disruption because I boarded out all the removal except Salvation. Having 4 Transgress vs UR, which is a less than stellar match up, is important.

I didn't find old scrappy to actually be very good, at anything, and it doesn't work with cryptbreaker and will make diregraf colossus smaller. I'd honestly just have the 6 cards I mentioned, some Never // Return, a couple Declaration in stone, and 3-4 Gideon.

Yeah, played Marvel 3 times at GP Montreal and didn't lose. Jeskai control seemed bad though.

I feel like the deck could use more going on at 2 mana, but there's only Metalic Mimic or Relentless Dead that fits, and neither seems ideal. Would be nice if I could play Relentless Dead but I think I'd need to reduce access to white mana to accomodate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, played Marvel 3 times at GP Montreal and didn't lose. Jeskai control seemed bad though.

I feel like the deck could use more going on at 2 mana, but there's only Metalic Mimic or Relentless Dead that fits, and neither seems ideal. Would be nice if I could play Relentless Dead but I think I'd need to reduce access to white mana to accomodate it.

I'm on the "Relentless Dead Isn't That Great" team. It doesn't do anything on the board besides be another synergistic 2/2 albeit with menace, and you have to burn mana when it dies to see upside. I felt good with Transgress in the 2-drop spot every time I sided it in today though, always for Fatal Push. It might be worth maining if control actually sees an uptick in the meta if UR impacts. I bet there's usually something worth hitting with Transgress against just about every deck that you're worried about.

I even just took a Rogue Refiner at one point today, and I didn't feel bad about it.