Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

track fairings or street fairings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Just regular ol street fairings.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pretty much any of the non-oem ones are ill fitting/bad quality stuff from china, unfortunately

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

:negative:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cleaned the jets out, again. Of four jets, three were partially or totally obstructed: Primary and secondary idle (complete obstruction) secondary main (partial).

Tried a thing whereby I'm using drilled bolts (AN4-9) and cotter pins to hold the fairing on instead of bolts and nuts. I have to keep cleaning the carbs and stuff often enough that it's worth making the job quicker. Unfortunately, the fit isn't as snug as it could be and the rattling fairing almost cut the cotter keys off. I'll try to find some hitch pins or bigger cotter keys or some washers or something. Having to undo nuts all the time sucks.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Try some dzus fasteners instead

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

Pretty much any of the non-oem ones are ill fitting/bad quality stuff from china, unfortunately

I can attest to this. Even the ones that aren't cheap are still poo poo.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I'm gonna save up to piece by piece buy the OEM ones off Babbitts I suppose. Luckily there isnt too many scratches, I think the PO bought the bike with his first Paycheck from the military, promptly layer dan'd it at a stopsign going about 10, and them was forbidden from his mom from ever riding it again.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

M42 posted:

Try some dzus fasteners instead

Which of the actual dzus-branded fasteners did you have in mind? I can't get any tool at the top of the bolts except a ratchet with all the extensions. I'm not so sure about getting something at the underside, either.

Ooh, these "bail handle" ones might work.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bike is getting tires on now. Ethernet cable is not a good shoulder strap.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So I've been working for some time on making a fully digital instrument cluster for my bike. I'm very concerned with aesthetic truth, and so if a 1988 motorcycle is going to have a digital dash, it can't be a modern style with a color LCD and stuff -- it has to look like the computerized future as imagined in 1988.

This is a huge ongoing project that has involved a whole lot of electronics, programming, machining work, 3d printing, custom display modules, etc and will be at least another few months before I get v1.0 up and running, but one of the things that I've been working on is a display simulator so I can plan the UX and work out pixel dimensions etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMIg_TqgNIE

:toot:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That is rad as gently caress. Keep sharing details on it. what kind of sensor info will be available?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

So I've been working for some time on making a fully digital instrument cluster for my bike. I'm very concerned with aesthetic truth, and so if a 1988 motorcycle is going to have a digital dash, it can't be a modern style with a color LCD and stuff -- it has to look like the computerized future as imagined in 1988.

This is a huge ongoing project that has involved a whole lot of electronics, programming, machining work, 3d printing, custom display modules, etc and will be at least another few months before I get v1.0 up and running, but one of the things that I've been working on is a display simulator so I can plan the UX and work out pixel dimensions etc.

drat. That will be bad rear end. I'd love to pull off something like that on the zrx build I keep dreaming of but will probably never do.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That is the raddest poo poo ever.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sagebrush posted:

Needs to be on an OLED display!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

This is awesome!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

That is rad as gently caress. Keep sharing details on it. what kind of sensor info will be available?

I'm patching into all of the basic motorcycle stuff -- road speed, engine RPM, coolant temperature, and oil/neutral/high/turn lamps. From that info I can also do the odometer obviously and make basic range estimates by integrating engine RPM over time (or just go "a full tank is 160 miles"). DHT22 temperature and humidity sensor for ambient weather. There will be a GPS module, cause they're like 10 bucks so why not, which will give me altitude, lat/long and time, though doing anything more complex than just showing that data (e.g. calculating bearings to waypoints) is waaaay down the line. I could stick an accelerometer in and get some dynamic information about acceleration, lean angle, whatever but I don't really care that much about that info tbh...but also they're like a few dollars so maybe, why not. Oh, and an ambient light sensor ($0.10 photocell) to dim the displays at night.

I am particularly proud of the speedometer cable adapter I've got 95% working now. Most aftermarket instruments resort to making you put a magnet on the front wheel and a sensor on the fork, and running a new cable. I have managed to make a thing that adapts the stock spinning cable into a machined/printed rotor unit that spins a magnet up inside the gauge cluster instead, so I can get the same digital signal from the wheel but keep the front end stock.

It's gradually coming together. I'm working on the simulator right now cause I'm waiting for a bunch of parts from digi-key to try and clean up this signal, which is what I have to read in order to measure engine RPM:

That initial spike is more than 350 volts from the coil capacitor, so not only will it blow up any microelectronics I connect to it, but I can't simply filter it out or the spark won't fire. Some people in YOSPOS have been extraordinarily helpful in figuring out the proper circuitry to handle it cleanly.

Razzled posted:

Needs to be on an OLED display!

It is! A custom 5.5" 256x64 amber OLED I had a taiwanese factory spin up just for me! $120 for two of them but worth it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 19, 2017

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

That is honestly loving amazing.

Also having a bit of a chuckle at your scope creep. Before you know it, it'll have a toaster!

EDIT: Is there a central location where you post updates and that sort of thing?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^^ not yet but I have been documenting the process, so maybe I'll make an effortpost or thread about it eventually

Yeaaaaaah I am really having to watch myself and make sure I get things working one step at a time. I am aiming to get the speedometer, tachometer, and coolant temperature read successfully and reliably in a prototype system (so like just reading and displaying on a 16x2 LCD) before I move on to the fancier stuff. I do have most of the parts, though, including the fancy OLEDs and all the sensors.

Also if you wanna talk about scope creep, what if I told you that this all started because my trip odometer broke and I was sick of fixing it all the time?

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

Super cool. :radcat:

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

That is so, so very cool. Let us know when you're ready to produce 50 of them and sell them to all of us goons to make our bieks a little more :krad:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll say it again sage: you can Lolita me any time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

For the true 80s look it needs to emulate a VFD.

Have some design inspiration. http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2013/08/flash-dance-digital-dashboards-of-1980s.html :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes please build those and sell them or sell the kits and give away the software, whatever, but I want one

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

^^^ not yet but I have been documenting the process, so maybe I'll make an effortpost or thread about it eventually

Yeaaaaaah I am really having to watch myself and make sure I get things working one step at a time. I am aiming to get the speedometer, tachometer, and coolant temperature read successfully and reliably in a prototype system (so like just reading and displaying on a 16x2 LCD) before I move on to the fancier stuff. I do have most of the parts, though, including the fancy OLEDs and all the sensors.

Also if you wanna talk about scope creep, what if I told you that this all started because my trip odometer broke and I was sick of fixing it all the time?

Please sell these.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

That initial spike is more than 350 volts from the coil capacitor, so not only will it blow up any microelectronics I connect to it, but I can't simply filter it out or the spark won't fire. Some people in YOSPOS have been extraordinarily helpful in figuring out the proper circuitry to handle it cleanly.

Why can't you connect to the coil's trigger, which I assume is 12v? Or otherwise the cam/crank/whatever sensor? Or wrap a wire around a spark lead like for after market tachs?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

Why can't you connect to the coil's trigger, which I assume is 12v? Or otherwise the cam/crank/whatever sensor? Or wrap a wire around a spark lead like for after market tachs?

CDI.

quote:

http://imgur.com/a/cDoi3
Fresh bodywork on the spouse's bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

I'm very concerned with aesthetic truth,
Are you sure this is the right forum for this post?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Every forum is he right forum for vaporwave discussion.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Thanks for the props! I didn't really think there would be that many people who wanted to buy one, actually -- it seemed like a pretty narrowly focused aesthetic that would only appeal to a small subset of people. Maybe that subset is "CA goons". Who knows...maybe down the line I could make a commercial product out of this. That is my job, after all.

Collateral Damage posted:

For the true 80s look it needs to emulate a VFD.

Have some design inspiration. http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2013/08/flash-dance-digital-dashboards-of-1980s.html :v:

VFDs are a sweet look but I like warm amber better than cold teal. My aim is to emulate a GRiD Compass plasma display, which is equally authentically 80s:

Though I have been looking at a variety of these auto dashboards along the way, as well. My main inspirations are the Subaru XT and GL10

and the sentry gun system from Aliens (which used GRiD laptops as props):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQDy-5IQvuU

as well as all sorts of other 1980s amber displays

High Protein posted:

This line is the "coil trigger", as it were -- it's the direct output from the CDI spark unit, which is the input into the (rear) coil's primary winding. The input to the spark unit is the inductive sensor on the crank. I thought about trying to hook into that, but frankly I don't want to cut and splice the wires to something so engine-critical, and I also don't want to risk my own reader circuitry somehow loving with the crank sensor's behavior. The signal I'm plugging into is available right up at the instrument cluster already (it drives the stock tachometer) so I don't have to cut anything or run new wires, and because there's already supposed to be some kind of load on the end, I'm confident that if I'm methodical about it I can read it without affecting anything else in the system. Plus I just like the elegance of using the existing hookups, plug-and-play.

That also is why I'm not attaching to a spark plug lead. That would look ugly and need a new wire routed somewhere. Boooooo. And it's why I've been machining speedometer cable adapters (Honda used a custom thread that NOBODY ELSE uses for ANYTHING, not even fuckin nuts and bolts) instead of drilling a magnet into the front wheel and running a bike-speedometer-style sensor down the fork. Gross! Ugly! Sad!

Oh, it's a hoity-toity design term but you know exactly what it means. It's why you wouldn't put a Trailtech instrument on your old BMW /2. The design languages aren't compatible. This instrument cluster is going to look like it came right off the 1987 Tokyo International Motorcyle Show concept floor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's gonna look like it tumbled straight out of a poorly assembled vector dashboard and it's awesome.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, it's a hoity-toity design term but you know exactly what it means. It's why you wouldn't put a Trailtech instrument on your old BMW /2. The design languages aren't compatible. This instrument cluster is going to look like it came right off the 1987 Tokyo International Motorcyle Show concept floor.

I'm in the middle of scope creep on my 1976 gold wing. It's getting EFI, and I already designed and built a complete motorcycle lighting unit, so why not go whole-hog?

Right now, I'm shoving everything into a raspi and just having it dump over BLE and will probably use the cheapest android tablet I can find to have skinnable dashes.

I've been designing wiring diagrams in KiCad for a week now. EVERYTHING LABELLED with part numbers for plugs and jacks with wire labels and gauges to milspec.

We should probably talk and share/compare notes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

Thanks for the props! I didn't really think there would be that many people who wanted to buy one, actually -- it seemed like a pretty narrowly focused aesthetic that would only appeal to a small subset of people. Maybe that subset is "CA goons".

Given the love for Network Traffic I'd say that's accurate. This is a :krad: thing you're putting together and I can think of a bunch of bikes on my wishlist I'd want to put something similar on.

What was your job again? I thought you were some kind of teacher?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

No I'm talking about your use of the phrase "aesthetic truth"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No I'm talking about your use of the phrase "aesthetic truth"

what's your problem with it? too many syllables?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

what's your problem with it? too many syllables?

He has this pathological aversion to anyone enjoying themselves or possibly acting like they're trying to design or implement something they like. He revels in finding hipsters being hipsters and mocking them, so when he finds someone nonironically doing something "retro" because it fits an actual design philosophy, i.e. aesthetic, I think he just reflexively gets pre-butthurt.

I took the Windjammer Fairing off my '76 goldwing today, and installed some mirrors with LED turn signals in them. Now the Rev is accusing me of "ratting" my bike. Or something. I'm not sure.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
You some kind of narc or something????

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

He has this pathological aversion to anyone enjoying themselves or possibly acting like they're trying to design or implement something they like. He revels in finding hipsters being hipsters and mocking them, so when he finds someone nonironically doing something "retro" because it fits an actual design philosophy, i.e. aesthetic, I think he just reflexively gets pre-butthurt.

I took the Windjammer Fairing off my '76 goldwing today, and installed some mirrors with LED turn signals in them. Now the Rev is accusing me of "ratting" my bike. Or something. I'm not sure.

Strange because he hates wind jammers

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

This is rad as hell and I kind of want a bike from the 80s to put it on when you get it worked out. I'll call you when I get a Hawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Sagebrush posted:

This is so drat cool, can't wait to see the final product. poo poo, I'd buy a kit.