Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

BWV posted:

In the past I think the teams that played best against lebron didnt do it by trying to "stop him" but by just denying his passing options. Now tho he's built a team where every player can shoot so it's much more difficult.

2014 was the How To Beat LeBron series. On defense they passed around him and on offense they had Real Finals MVP Diaw doing the man-on-man and Kawhi helping some too and on defense the entire team moved like one consciousness in five bodies

Edit: also they turned off the AC to overheat his robot body lol or wait was that 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Niwrad posted:

I also don't think they'd have to give up Crowder and Bradley to the Bulls in that deal. Bulls should be happy just getting the 1st pick. To make the numbers work they could use Zeller instead of Crowder. I think they'd be able to keep Crowder if they renounced Olynyk although maybe my math is wrong.

That's a cap issue as much as anything.

If they renounce all their FAs, waive Zeller and MIckey (both on non-guaranteed contracts) and don't sign the first pick they have approx. $34.4m cap room which is enough to sign Hayward to the $30.3m max. However Butler's salary next season is $18.7m - Crowder is $6.8m, Bradley is $8.8m. You can't take on more salary than you are sending out if the deal puts you over the cap, so you'd have to include both Crowder and Bradley which would just about squeeze you under the cap. Whichever order you did it in (sign Hayward in FA then trade for Butler in August, or trade for Butler at the draft and sign Hayward after) it wouldn't work unless you included both Crowder and Bradley.

Of course if you don't sign Hayward then you just absorb the extra money Butler makes into cap space, then resign all your own FAs afterwards. But to get both Butler and Hayward this summer you need to free up a lot of space.

Ironically the problem with Boston having all their players on such good value contracts means it's difficult to trade for players on big deals. Unless you are trading Horford which doesn't make sense. And it's not just that Crowder and Bradley are the two players Indiana/Chicago would most likely want in a trade, but those are the Celtics' biggest contracts outside Horford or the non-guaranteed Zeller for next year which is why they'd have to be included. If you swapped in Smart for Bradley the math wouldn't work.

quote:

They still have a bunch of assets they could use to improve the bench. Believe they have a future first from Memphis and the Clippers in their pocket. Plus some extra second rounders.

Also yes they'd still have assets, but they'd be an over the cap team, so they'd only be able to package those picks for players making less than whomever they send out. So again unless you are including Horford in any deal, unless there is someone out there making less than Marcus Smart or Jaylen Brown (about $5m) you can't get them no matter how many first rounders you throw at their team.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 21, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
As a general rule (which obviously has exceptions) I sorta think in the NBA the "two nickels for a dime" style trades are usually a boon to your team.

You can always find some more decent roleplayers (honestly wouldn't be surprised to find the Celtics doing the Spurs Minor thing where their role players look way worse on the next team) but you should probably get a star if you can.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
It seems that the teams that have beaten or played LeBron close had very good rim protectors?

They need embiid

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Femur posted:

It seems that the teams that have beaten or played LeBron close had very good rim protectors?

They need embiid

They all had rim protectors who were great defensive QBs, calling assignments and moving people around

Mavericks had Shawn Marion for Lebron's body and Tyson Chandler at the rim
Celtics had Garnett and then big guys, Spurs had Kawhi/Diaw with Duncan at the rim. The pistons teams that held young Lebron down had Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace
The Warriors had Igoudala/Livingston and Green

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 21, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
And the Warriors clearly don't count but Bogut and Draymond are DPOY caliber dudes

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I think people really over value mid-tier assets on good contracts. Marcus Smart, Crowder, and Bradley are all "great deals" but no championship team in their right mind would want them playing meaningful minutes. A cheap asset is useless if you dont reallocate assets to get better players. Just cause Smart is on a great contract doesn't mean he's suddenly a better player.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

BWV posted:

I think people really over value mid-tier assets on good contracts. Marcus Smart, Crowder, and Bradley are all "great deals" but no championship team in their right mind would want them playing meaningful minutes.

???? Bradley and Crowder would get meaningful minutes on any team in the NBA

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Tony Allen couldn't possibly find minutes on a championship squad and neither can Avery

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

???? Bradley and Crowder would get meaningful minutes on any team in the NBA
I think if we look at the teams that are competing,sSay the top 5-7 in the NBA, you wouldn't want either starting for you. They are both out of the top 100 in PER and play at positions that usually get high usage.

I guess lately I feel that more and more people confuse a player's skill with their contract's value

BWV fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 21, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I think you should forget that PER exists for a start

Also I guess we're quibbling semantics but to me "meaningful minutes" does not mean you have to be a starter

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Yeah PER isnt a great way to evaluate dudes whose prime selling point is their defense.

You want those dudes on squads with guys who can already score. Like the Pelicans maybe

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Crowder had a 61.3% true shooting this year, it's not like he's an offensive liability either. Bradley is also a 39% shooter from three. You don't have to hide them by any means

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Apparently Wilt Chamberlain played professional basketball when he was 16 under a false identity

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6cbgx1/wilt_chamberlain_secretly_dominated_professional/

I maintained he could've played pro basketball in his 50s, he was still a physical monster like until his 60s where he very suddenly got thin and then dead.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'll find better example that dont affirm my Anti-Celtic bias, but I was just thinking about how we overvalue the skillets of players because they have good contracts.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They would definitely have roles and Bradley is a great defender who can generally score, most teams would probably find a way to start him.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I was about to say he' wouldn't start on any of the top 4 teams in either conference (minus his own) but a dead boy could replace Demarre Carroll and put up better numbers.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

BWV posted:

I was about to say he' wouldn't start on any of the top 4 teams in either conference (minus his own) but a dead boy could replace Demarre Carroll and put up better numbers.

Lol he'd immediately be placed in the cavs starting lineup

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
A good player on a cheap contract is always great to have

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Libertine posted:

obviously, having assets at a good value is always advised. I was just thinking that sometimes when we hear constantly about how good of a value a player is we confuse their salary-cap value with their on court value.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Libertine posted:

you could make a genuine argument that the most valuable asset the Pistons have is Marcus Morris

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

I know he's working for the Lakers right now but Philly should back a dumptruck up to the charity of KAJ's choice and hire him to work with Embiid and teach him the ways of the sky-hook

Embiid with a skyhook dear god

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The NBA is amazing

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I know the Spurs took apart the Heat in 2014, but why are people acting like that wasn't a team held together by sticky glue that collapsed because Wade was old and they sacrificed depth to trim their tax bill. They were the definition of a contender on it's last legs and I think most people knew that going in.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

WhyteRyce posted:

I know the Spurs took apart the Heat in 2014, but why are people acting like that wasn't a team held together by sticky glue that collapsed because Wade was old and they sacrificed depth to trim their tax bill. They were the definition of a contender on it's last legs and I think most people knew that going in.

You let me hold on to my narrative god drat it :mad:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That spurs team was on another level tho. Sunset prime Duncan, sober diaw, Parker , manu

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love that losing sends lebron into a solipsistic mental coma

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

that spurs team shot like 80% through three quarters it was rough times to be a less defensively minded lebron team

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

If the NBA was a wrestling promotion, its last 7-8 seasons (basically everything after Lakers back-to-back) have been really well booked

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
e. wrong thread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

These Finals have a chance to be the best ever.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

illcendiary posted:

If the NBA was a wrestling promotion, its last 7-8 seasons (basically everything after Lakers back-to-back) have been really well booked

When those Heat teams were at their peak it was ultra aggressive attacking PNRs but then Wade got old and it was just LeBron and Bosh able to keep up any pressure.

The Spurs were at their absolute peak and the Heat were in their death throes, it wasn't like Pop finally figured out the LeBron secret and will carry it to his grave

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

also the all ball handlers all passing team was pretty good at not getting bothered by the traps

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

euphronius posted:

These Finals have a chance to be the best ever.

I'm optimistic but it'd be really hard to top last year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

morestuff posted:

I'm optimistic but it'd be really hard to top last year

Imagine last year but lebron completes the chaos dunk

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Can't believe the Cavs won and LeBron somehow ended up still very mad. Like adopting Kobe levels of petty

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Imagine last year but lebron completes the chaos dunk

lol, that's what i posted in the game thread

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

euphronius posted:

I love that losing sends lebron into a solipsistic mental coma

That chuckle after he heard that Klay called him weak was and still is bone-chilling

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

illcendiary posted:

If the NBA was a wrestling promotion then it's been poorly booked since the last Lakers title, because the Lakers and Knicks are the money workers and aren't involved in the main event, which means they've left a lot of money on the table, and booking to make money is the actual point of wrestling booking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

WhyteRyce posted:

When those Heat teams were at their peak it was ultra aggressive attacking PNRs but then Wade got old and it was just LeBron and Bosh able to keep up any pressure.

The Spurs were at their absolute peak and the Heat were in their death throes, it wasn't like Pop finally figured out the LeBron secret and will carry it to his grave

Shane Battier turning into a pumpkin was also a big deal.

• Locked thread