Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

brain dammej posted:

I ended the game with several quest items in my inventory that I never used for, well, a quest. A wedding ring, a "satellite psychotronic transistor", and a superfruit.

Who or what should I have done to get the associated quests? I assume the last one doesn't have a real quest 'end' due to its effects, but since it was marked as a quest item, I was curious.

Don't know the ring, but the transistor is used to make a limited use "gently caress right the gently caress off" or alternatively a "Come at me bro" device for the Nightmare. I really dislike how it's activated, as your nigh guaranteed to completely waste two charges on it eventually.

Fruit is just fruit, nothing more afaik. Quest is repeatable tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Gadzuko posted:

Odd. Were you killing everyone? You should have run across at least one of those.

Ring - quest for a dude in Cargo Bay, Psychowhatsit - slap it on a satellite to stop Nightmares spawning (Igwe gives the quest I think but maybe you can do it without him?), Superfruit - eat it! You get full health I think, or at least a nice big heal.

Jawnycat posted:

Don't know the ring, but the transistor is used to make a limited use "gently caress right the gently caress off" or alternatively a "Come at me bro" device for the Nightmare. I really dislike how it's activated, as your nigh guaranteed to completely waste two charges on it eventually.

Fruit is just fruit, nothing more afaik. Quest is repeatable tho.

Cheers, thanks. I wasn't killing everyone, but I probably didn't talk to all the peeps in the cargo bay before they moved to lifesupport and became completely unresponsive on my playthrough. .

Probably the same thing for the second item. I grabbed it the first time you can get to Hardware Labs and hoped something would pop asking for it, but it never came. Next playthrough I'll wait for it to be a quest target, I guess.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

brain dammej posted:

I ended the game with several quest items in my inventory that I never used for, well, a quest. A wedding ring, a "satellite psychotronic transistor", and a superfruit.

Who or what should I have done to get the associated quests? I assume the last one doesn't have a real quest 'end' due to its effects, but since it was marked as a quest item, I was curious.

First item A wedding ring - One of the guards in the cargo bay asks to look for his wife, she's in elite section of crew quarters, turns out she's a phantom, so you kill her and bring him the ring
Second item satellite psychotronic transistor - If you evade Nightmare January can give you this quest, you pull the antenna from satellite in hardware lab, attach it to satellite flying around outside and can send away or call Nightmare by playing special audiologs
Third item superfruit. is just a healing item, restoring full health and psi, even though quest directs you to make just one, you can repeat that process and get multiple of those.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I finished the quest that gets you into the kitchen freezer, but the cook isn't opening the door for it. What gives? What's the password?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
January is such a dick. 'Did you even hesitate Morgan?'

Yup. Only long enough to read his criminal record, get the armoury code, check it worked, then pull out my shotgun. :commissar:

I think the code is a static one, so that's one guy who won't be leaving Talos I alive during any of my playthroughs, on general principle. :colbert:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

limited posted:

Yup. Only long enough to read his criminal record, get the armoury code, check it worked, then pull out my shotgun. :commissar:

I think the code is a static one, so that's one guy who won't be leaving Talos I alive during any of my playthroughs, on general principle. :colbert:

For shame.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Can you guys tell me why you're enjoying the game? Just give me a few good reasons why this is a good purchase

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fartbox posted:

Can you guys tell me why you're enjoying the game? Just give me a few good reasons why this is a good purchase

I'm​ liking that the station is plausible in a lot of ways. There's a lot to the setting that makes it easy to believe that the station could be real, people have plausible conversations with a lot of attention to detail, and the station sorta makes sense for navigation with memorable layouts. (At least the Lobby and the Arboretum/Crew Quarters made sense to me.

I feel like it was weird that the bridge and deep storage were connected to the arboretum.

Anyways, it's a world that sorta makes sense, which makes it fun to explore.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

limited posted:

you can just kill january and then you dont have to hear his bullshit anymore

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Fartbox posted:

https://twitter.com/TheHorrorMaster/status/865764284323708928

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fartbox posted:

You get out of the game what you put into it. It heavily rewards using your head, being creative, and exploring. It's the perfect level of complexity. It's a game with an achievement for recycling yourself.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fartbox posted:

It's another System Shock/Bioshock/Dead Space and I really enjoyed those games.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Fartbox posted:

The GLOO gun, actually breakable windows, and multiple routes make exploring fun.

Sure, there's the usual everything-proof glass and shutters here and there, but it usually makes sense ( security rooms, engineering, etc. ) even places where people have barricaded themselves aren't a problem.

Got strength mods? Just pull the barricade apart. Got a recycling charge? Slap it on the side of a barricade, and make it disappear. Can see the room from elsewhere? Build platforms with the GLOO gun, smash the window, and climb in. The room has no roof? GLOO gun, climb over the wall and jump on in. See a sliver of a larger enemy through a gap? Shoot him, run like hell, and let him smash it all down for you.

Personally I haven't touched hacking or alien abilities yet, but there's plenty to do with those too.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The best part of the game is definitely (MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS) the stack of boxes sitting on Alex's treadmill.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

limited posted:

He was arrested for helping kids leave abusive families in Russia by helping them escape to the US. Read his actual file.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Pneub posted:

The best part of the game is definitely (MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS) the stack of boxes sitting on Alex's treadmill.

On the same line, there are emails discussing the subject to really hammer in the context.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rookersh posted:

He was arrested for helping kids leave abusive families in Russia by helping them escape to the US. Read his actual file.

I liked how that decision plays out in the game, especially considering what the game's core plot and themes end up being

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fartbox posted:

It's basically First Person Metroidvania. It's not perfect but it's fun to explore the station and see what I can find :shrug: The setting is very cool but I'm pretty sure I've seen the big reveal at the end coming since maybe an hour in to the game.

The flashback sequences when you first see the coral in G.U.T.S. immediately made me kind of figure out that I'm playing as one of the aliens living through the simulated memory of Morgan Yu, or something like that. and they're testing me to see if they can make the aliens feel empathy, since that's super heavily hinted at with all the moral decisions the game throws at you that don't seem to have any impact on the gameplay.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 21, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Rookersh posted:

Where do you find his actual file? I never put two and two together, although I figured they'd make sure that the files that researchers see are convenient.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Just finished playthrough 1, and fully intend to do it all again several more times. For one thing, I got the big signposted signals that special things would happen if I didn't use Typhon powers, and so ended up beating nightmares to death with a wrench and a massive adrenaline high. I'll be excited to try out some more psych abilities in round 2.

I really liked the ending sequence, especially how there were enough hints in research logs that you could understand where it comes from.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's the best way to deal with radiation canisters? I don't think GLOO covers them up Chernobyl-style.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

What's the best way to deal with radiation canisters? I don't think GLOO covers them up Chernobyl-style.

You might've already found some sort of tool that removes objects from the world and converts them into something useful.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I liked when I figured out what the water supply mission does. It's cool that it doesn't tell you outright.

What's the point of decontaminating atmosphere control? I didn't notice anything different.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Pollyanna posted:

Either telekinesis-throw them out of the way or bop them with environmental objects-

Jack Trades posted:

You might've already found some sort of tool that removes objects from the world and converts them into something useful.

poo poo I forgot that I figured that out hours ago

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Zomborgon posted:

Just finished playthrough 1, and fully intend to do it all again several more times. For one thing, I got the big signposted signals that special things would happen if I didn't use Typhon powers, and so ended up beating nightmares to death with a wrench and a massive adrenaline high. I'll be excited to try out some more psych abilities in round 2.

I really liked the ending sequence, especially how there were enough hints in research logs that you could understand where it comes from.

yeah i'd heard bad things about the ending but i think that was a pretty interesting way to end it that was foreshadowed throughout. i just wish they hadn't put it after the credits.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jack Trades posted:

Oh my loving god I thought those only worked on junk. :psyduck: I completely missed that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Poltergeists are really cool, I wish they weren't such pushovers.

Jack Trades posted:

Only issue with that is you might recycle whatever the canisters are "guarding".

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

RatHat posted:

Poltergeists are really cool, I wish they weren't such pushovers.

I agree and feel this way about a lot of the enemies. There are a lot of intense moments when you encounter something that you didn't expect and they're executed without becoming jump scares, and that's great, but they feel wimpy when you actually fight them. Mimics would be cool as hell if they would stalk you around for a while, trying to move when you weren't looking, hiding as different objects as you turned around the room, and swarming together in numbers before attacking. Instead they're land-mines that spawn a headcrab.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

The next patch cannot come soon enough. I am trying to completed some side quests on the bridge but every time I enter it some of my inventory disappears.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pollyanna posted:

Oh my loving god I thought those only worked on junk. :psyduck: I completely missed that.

Apart from opening up paths and clearing radioactive barrels, recycler grenades are worthy of the title Grenade, they do really impressive damage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pollyanna posted:

They work on any physics object that moves. Anything. Even stuff you can't pick up or interact with.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CJacobs posted:

They work on any physics object that moves. Anything. Even stuff you can't pick up or interact with.

That's also why the big recycler in Hardware Labs is so fun to play with.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

MH Knights posted:

The next patch cannot come soon enough. I am trying to completed some side quests on the bridge but every time I enter it some of my inventory disappears.

Try to move the items that are disappearing in your inventory, some goon mentioned in the thread that it seems to be position based.

I had it happen once in my playthrough, basically all of my Q-beam and Disruptor ammo disappeared. But by the time I had to use either and realized I had no ammo, my saves had cycled past it the original issue.

:negative:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Literally anything that moves. Including Y(o)u, Typhoon, Operators, Other NPCs.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Pollyanna posted:

I don't blame you for not getting that, it's how it would work in almost any other game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack Trades posted:

Literally anything that moves. Including Y(o)u, Typhoon, Operators, Other NPCs.

I love the ball of Organic Material in the Recycler Lab with a note that says "stood a little too close to a Recycler Charge during testing, what you see here is what's left of my left foot".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Careful i there's anything near them you want to pick up, though.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I do with that those half-destroyed doors could be recycled.

Then again, I never tried it...

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Truecon420 posted:

There are several strong indicators that he's a fake. If you find a couple of the voice logs of the real chef (same name) they look completely different and sound different. He's also a shady dude (those scars, Russian accent like all volunteers) and the volunteer you can help in psychotropics warns you there's a dangerous volunteer on the loose). Alternatively there's a side entrance into the freezer before he lets you into in behind some cardboard boxes in the kitchen. I'm not sure but I think you can go in, find Foys body and figure it out that way.

For the chef: There's also a photo of the real chef in his room (when you go to steal the award) that doesn''t look anything like the one that talks to you. You can also confirm by using the security station to track him and the waypoint will be back in the freezer on the real guy's body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

For the chef: There's also a photo of the real chef in his room (when you go to steal the award) that doesn''t look anything like the one that talks to you. You can also confirm by using the security station to track him and the waypoint will be back in the freezer on the real guy's body

It's pretty blatantly apparent the moment you see any Transcribe chat log with Will and you get a portrait of a guy who looks nothing like the Chef you met.