Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
t-30 minutes 'till The End of Everything. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

:munch:

This is on. I'm looking forward to whether or not they can pull this off.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well I just got done with very sad wrestling so hey why not some very sad cartoons too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Uh...is anyone else getting Family Guy right now?

e: nevermind, my Roku was being weird.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
This owns.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh hey, Samurai Jack's on!

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Adult Swim simulcast chose not to work for me tonight, guess I'm not watching the finale live.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Welp time for all the ancillary characters to die so Jack doesn't feel as bad going back to the past and erasing them all from existence!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I appreciate how pragmatic Ashi and Jack are being here.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
JACK, YOU'VE CREATED A TIME PARADOX!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lol gently caress this show

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Samurai Jack, gotta get back to the future.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lmao

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
pfahahahahah welp.

Back to the Future rules in effect, I guess.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Ah, the Gurren Lagann ending I see

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I was thinking that as they were walking her down the aisle. Welp

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its a good thing this show is so pretty because holy poo poo that was quite a nosedive from the first few episodes

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man just imagine if that series could've had 26 episodes.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

VJeff posted:

Man just imagine if that series could've had 26 episodes.

nah they just totally hosed up the writing in the latter half.

im glad the scotsman and jack got to interact again tho that was fun.

still not the worst show ever, just lol

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

anime was right posted:

I think like another four episodes probably would have been enough

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

God holy poo poo, and Nia's outfit was basically just Ashi's too. At least they explained that in Gurren Lagann, here it felt more like "oh, I just remembered I'm a time paradox. well, bye!"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

anime was right posted:

still not the worst show ever, just lol

A lot of the problems were due to compression. Much of this stuff could've worked if it just had some goddamn time to breathe.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
That was disappointing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They ended it before the time slot was over, though.

Add a couple minutes onto it.

Jack grows old and becomes king, but still misses Ashi.

One day, wearing his crown, he seeks out the Guardian.

He never was going to use that time portal to go to the past.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
It's like they thought 'What's the most unsatisfying ending we could make' and decided to go one step further.

What a disappointment after such a strong start.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

That was such a deus ex machina. And the ending sequence needed the explanation cut.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
That's was good.

At least one thing came to an end during the Donnie years and it was good.

I'm ready for the nuk- wait no I still want a Metroid and F-Zero game.

RocketSurgery
Feb 11, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

basically yeah

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

nerdbot posted:

God holy poo poo, and Nia's outfit was basically just Ashi's too. At least they explained that in Gurren Lagann, here it felt more like "oh, I just remembered I'm a time paradox. well, bye!"

today was actually the 10th anniversary of "Later, Buddy". TTGL is just a part of the UNIVERSE today, it seems.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

the show should've stayed dead if this was their endgame

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Well that was good up until everyone died.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ill take the resolution and the show had lots of cool high moments so its w/e.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
When she started using all the powers of Aku, my brother and I both said "time portal." The look on Aku's face was pretty priceless.

I mean, the show finally fullfilled its promise: Jack got back to the past and undid the future that is Aku's. To make things bitter sweet, Ashi ceases to be, but Jack finds solace in knowing he saved the universe from oppression.

Honestly, I had fun. The Gurren Lagann ending was certainly a way to do it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. I wish they gave an hour to the finale. I figured it was either going to be this ending or Jack realizi that without Aku in the past there's no Ashi so instead of going back in time he kills Aku in the present to save her and finally does something for himself and they help rebuild the world.

That being said a lot went SUPER fast. Kinda felt rushed.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
It wasn't bad, it was just "ehh?"

Like when this show is great, its really something incredible. Like no other show of its kind.

But this feels so middle of the road, especially to end the entire series on.

I would almost preferred something a bit more bold, even if to fail, just to say they tried. This feels like the equivalent of a narrator showing up to just say "Ehh, well, it mostly worked out. Bye!"

The last shot of the tree and the ladybudy was pretty though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Kind of hosed by how much they had to rush but a good 7 episode rush until they had to go at break neck pace to tie everything up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean I don't really care what anybody says, this is still way better than nothing.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I mean it was kind of bad but there was a ton of cameos and scotsman being cool, which is all I really wanted/ expected by this point. Winning through the power of love was super-unearned and the ending was just hilarious though

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
They really, REALLY needed a few more episodes to flesh out the plot more. :sigh:

I mean, I'm glad the series finally got closure, but what happened to the writing? It got incredibly cliche as gently caress, like the writers realized they had a plane to catch and scribbled the second half of the season on cocktail napkins. Everything was telegraphed and predictable as hell.

Overall, disappointed at the rushed writing, but glad the series got an actual ending after all these years. The cameos were fun fanservice and the art direction was stellar as always, at least.

e: Also, holy poo poo, yeah who thought it was a good idea to cram a series finale into 23 minutes instead of, y'know, making it an hour-long special to pace things better? :psyduck:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
I had a fleeting they'd pull a Gurren Lagan, but pushed it away. Oh well. I didn't hate it, but it was still kind of a bummer overall. Who knows. Maybe there's a secret 6th season and the future is still in danger. Probably not though.

• Locked thread