Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/866063300819374080

private window/incognito if you're paywalled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

It's nice of Toby Keith to thank the Saudis for giving his career a shot in the towers.

Arm. I mean arm.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

redgubbinz posted:

It's nice of Toby Keith to thank the Saudis for giving his career a shot in the towers.

Arm. I mean arm.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

redgubbinz posted:

Arm. I mean arm.

Trump is very much a kiss the ring kind of guy, so I find it hilarious that somehow he's made Toby Keith perform for the Saudis

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Keith would perform for two penguins fuckin a walrus if it meant he could suck Trump's dick.

Dumbfuck is straight up the worst kind of trailer trash you could scrounge up.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Deathy McDeath posted:

This is really loving dumb. All of the "plagiarized" sections are footnoted and attributed, but Clarke apparently didn't put quotes around the statements. Really, we should be mad at NPS for letting that slip.

As a (failed) academic I'd not ding him for this. Best practices is always quote everything ever and put citations in, but there are plenty -- PLENTY -- of works out there by real live academics who lightly paraphrase and then just toss a cite on the end of the paragraph and call it a day. If he's lifting verbatim and just dropping a footnote at the end of the paragraph that is worse (and actually in plagiarism territory) but by understanding he is just making an error of attribution in the thesis. All of this said: I have not read his thesis so I cannot speak to what he did, but this right now feels like a non-starter.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Suicide Watch posted:

Is it common for non-military to attend Navy Postgraduate School? Why would anyone go unless it was either 1) offered very cheaply/free or 2) you couldn't get into a better program?

https://www.chds.us/c/academic-programs/masters-degree-program

I graduated from there and am finishing my thesis. They gave us multiple lectures on proper citations. I fully expect they'll yank his degree. Especially since he quoted several instructors without quotes including the department chair.

What's a "better program"?

Edit: I don't know what they used in 2013 but now they use turnitin which is what I assume CNN used to find the 47 times he failed to quote correctly.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 21, 2017

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Im glad we've pretty much codified into law that not being a threat to anyone is worthy of summary execution so long as it ensures you go home safe

Yeah and whats with the uniforms and telling people what to do? What is this, NAZI GERMANY?!?!?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Everyone acts like everything the Nazi's did was bad.

I'm not saying that's wrong, I'm just observing.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Everyone acts like everything the Nazi's did was bad.

I'm not saying that's wrong, I'm just observing.

Several Nazi high officials are responsible for killing some of the worst Nazis there are, including Hitler, and that's alright by me.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Killing Nazi's is always cool.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Im glad we've pretty much codified into law that not being a threat to anyone is worthy of summary execution so long as it ensures you go home safe

The commonlaw in action!

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

The best part about the Clarke plagiarism poo poo fest that one of the sources he hosed up was the ACLU.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pesticide20 posted:

Several Nazi high officials are responsible for killing some of the worst Nazis there are, including Hitler, and that's alright by me.

Hitler was the biggest hero of ww2. He killed Hitler.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

BUG JUG posted:

As a (failed) academic I'd not ding him for this. Best practices is always quote everything ever and put citations in, but there are plenty -- PLENTY -- of works out there by real live academics who lightly paraphrase and then just toss a cite on the end of the paragraph and call it a day. If he's lifting verbatim and just dropping a footnote at the end of the paragraph that is worse (and actually in plagiarism territory) but by understanding he is just making an error of attribution in the thesis. All of this said: I have not read his thesis so I cannot speak to what he did, but this right now feels like a non-starter.

Just gave the thesis a skim and holy lol is it poorly written. But, on top of that: through the first 23 pages of text (which does not include eighteen pages of prefatory remarks and material) he has 116 citations, and has only -- by my quick skim -- used quotation marks to denote an honest to god quote twice. Once to quote Ben Franklin (no looking guess which quote he uses). He has clearly cited in-text Colin Powell, and "writer" Mark Bowden (no clue who that is). This is super plagiarism and his advisor should be shot out of the academy for letting this poo poo through.

Quoting for posterity about how wrong I was about this.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Link to his thesis please?

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

file on $twit

:downs:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

BUG JUG posted:

Just gave the thesis a skim and holy lol is it poorly written. But, on top of that: through the first 23 pages of text (which does not include eighteen pages of prefatory remarks and material) he has 116 citations, and has only -- by my quick skim -- used quotation marks to denote an honest to god quote twice. Once to quote Ben Franklin (no looking guess which quote he uses). He has clearly cited in-text Colin Powell, and "writer" Mark Bowden (no clue who that is). This is super plagiarism and his advisor should be shot out of the academy for letting this poo poo through.

Are we talking like half a sentence, or are we talking like lifting entire paragraphs 'n' poo poo

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BUG JUG posted:

Bowden wrote Black Hawk Down and Killing Pablo. Both were pretty decent summer reading, but nothing I'd cite in an academic work outside of a very narrow focus (e.g. the hunt for Pablo Escobar).

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

BUG JUG posted:

"writer" Mark Bowden (no clue who that is)

It's probably this dude. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Bowden

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Well yeah Mark Bowden wrote Black Hawk Down but as was previously mentioned, he was probably mentioned for the Pablo Escobar book.

I liked "In the Company of Heroes" by Mike Durant anyway.

Either way, I'm not surprised Clark referenced him.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

He looks downright spooked.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Link to his thesis please?

Summery of some complaints:
http://heavy.com/news/2017/05/david-clarke-plagiarism-plagiarized-read-examples-thesis-list-naval-navy-academy-what-did-milwaukee-sheriff/

Full text:
https://www.scribd.com/document/348968937/David-Clarke-thesis

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hahaha, I mean Mark Bowden is good for beach reading but there goes any imposter syndrome I ever felt knowing that retard used him as a source in a post-grad paper.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

Laranzu posted:

He's field testing diapers.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Handsome Ralph posted:

Hahaha, I mean Mark Bowden is good for beach reading but there goes any imposter syndrome I ever felt knowing that retard used him as a source in a post-grad paper.

Really? I thought Black Hawk Down and Killing Pablo were fantastic books.
What's wrong with Bowden?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I think the point was that they're not exactly texts people consider using as sources in a post grad program

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

its curtains for Kevin posted:

I think the point was that they're not exactly texts people consider using as sources in a post grad program

Yep.

He's not a bad writer by any stretch, and I enjoyed both of those books immensely, but if you're using those in a post-grad paper, :lol:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Laranzu posted:

tbf, it's pretty intense the first time you're ambushed with "CHOKLAT? CHOKLAT? BENCIL?"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Guests of the Ayatollah was also a Bowden book I thoroughly enjoyed that no one seems to ever know exists.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
John Krakauer is The Who wrote the religious cult book and the Pat Tillman one yea? That wasn't Bowden?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

John Krakauer is The Who wrote the religious cult book and the Pat Tillman one yea? That wasn't Bowden?
Yeah. Krakauer wrote those and some mountain climbing stuff that is semi-controversial.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea Into Thin Air. He and others on the mountain disagree on how specific events played out.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
poo poo, did I miss trumps islam speech?

https://twitter.com/vinterflamma/status/866305863564365824

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Yeah. Trumpykins was pretty sleepy and the whole thing was poo poo stupid overall.

Edit: the stream is still going, but Trump has long stopped talking, and it is really obvious he is not paying attention to a single thing at all.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm not sure if they like what he got

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/JosephHDempsey/status/866224655568384000

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Even funnier is no bothers to question the inane logic of "well anyone could be a threat!" in a country with 300 million guns and lax gun laws.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BUG JUG posted:

Is it the one about giving up liberty for security? If so then lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

M_Gargantua posted:

Heres the overhead video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmIfTEZRBko

The statement about what happened in court also states that he was shot before reaching into the car.

At no point was deadly force called for.

:shrug: A noncompliant guy acting unpredictably and reaching into his vehicle (you can see it in the helo video, before he's shot) is going to be treated as a threat. I'm not saying he deserved it, but trying to string up the woman who shot him is more excessive.

• Locked thread