Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

The season definitely needed more episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i really liked the first 15 minutes, esp the classic opening being Aku's intro to capturing Jack

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Did Aku finally get slain?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

what show had a good ending

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

VJeff posted:

I mean I don't really care what anybody says, this is still way better than nothing.
I sincerely disagree, considering the ending adds absolutely nothing to the series as a whole.

The final fight between Aku and Samurai Jack deserved a lot more attention. Compared to the movie it was a complete joke and even in Season 5 itself a lot of the themes were just straight up tossed into the bin.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The story as it is could've worked with more time. A different story probably could've given a satisfying ending in the span of 10 episodes. But what we got is heartbreaking. It wasn't all bad, and even in the weaker episodes there were really good ideas. Mannnn.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What happened to the scottsman

Everyone started dying to the javelin rain and he ascended while dooting his bagpipe to stop it. Literally next scene Aku is just standing there and there's no wreckage and the daughters of the scottsman are just gone.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

FZeroRacer posted:

The final fight between Aku and Samurai Jack deserved a lot more attention.

At the risk of sounding contrarian Aku got the poo poo beaten out of him right before he sent Jack to the future, I don't feel like there was ever any way that fight was going to end in any way but Aku getting chumped. Of course that doesn't really excuse how anti-climactic and poorly paced the finale was, the battle BEFORE they get sent back in time was a letdown.

The reprisal of the original intro was some brilliant poo poo and gave me hope this episode would come together well, but it all really just crumbled. And they missed a good opportunity with Jack on the horse to at least show him with the beard as a king again or whatever, come on! Ugh!!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gently caress....

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So, how'd we do on that bingo sheet?

e: Quoting for reference -

Jellymouth posted:

Anybody post this yet?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 21, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
You know, I just thought of this: they could justify Ashi living in a weird timeloop thing because, well, Jack STILL got sent to the future.

Actually, wait, what the gently caress happened to the Jack sent the future?

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Covok posted:

You know, I just thought of this: they could justify Ashi living in a weird timeloop thing because, well, Jack STILL got sent to the future.

I assume he would be erased from existence. When Aku dies, the future timeline is erased, so by extension, anyone living in that timeline would be too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Covok posted:

...That's actually an excellent question.

I was kinda hoping / expecting Ashi to throw him through the portal then go back to the future, then she could destroy future Aku and he could destroy past Aku, and then they would be in split timelines where they could still have a connection through ladybugs or whatever.

Also, what the gently caress were they thinking cramming this all into one episode, it needed / deserved at least two.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Covok posted:

He basically goes, and winds up on a normal Earth and finds a story somewhere that he succeeded. But is now stuck in a future where a version of Ashi or a girl that looks like Ashi can possibly exist fifty years from when he appeared into the future.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Did we get an epilogue? Cause if we did, Bingo!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Looks like a bingo in the horizontal middle.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did we get an epilogue? Cause if we did, Bingo!

No, but we did win due to the power of friendship/love, so bingo on the far left side.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

This guy got it:

Strobe posted:

That entire middle row is a free Bingo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I really liked Aku's relatively undramatic "oh no". He killed everyone, but he hosed up.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

raditts posted:

This guy got it:

drat straight I did.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

raditts posted:

...That's actually an excellent question.

I was kinda hoping / expecting Ashi to throw him through the portal then go back to the future, then she could destroy future Aku and he could destroy past Aku, and then they would be in split timelines where they could still have a connection through ladybugs or whatever.

Also, what the gently caress were they thinking cramming this all into one episode, it needed / deserved at least two.
I'm going to blame CN once again loving over Gendy for no good reason

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I enjoyed it.........

Now let Genny continue Sym-biotic Titan. Not a single season to end the show. Just let him do season 2 and continue. It was good. :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wish the ladybug had aku's eyebrows as it flew away

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
These last couple of episode felt like a series being rushed to completion, but that obviously isn't what happened. Bleh.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wish the ladybug had aku's eyebrows as it flew away

I would have enjoyed a stronger implication of Ashi reincarnating into a ladybug, but I guess that'd be cliche too, huh?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Scotsman's ghost should have followed them in the time portal, and when he doesn't get erased like Ashi he can say it was Celtic magic.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

bobjr posted:

The Scotsman's ghost should have followed them in the time portal, and when he doesn't get erased like Ashi he can say it was Celtic magic.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What kind of terrible father would leave his army of daughters behind to get wiped from existence

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I must have turned around quickly, I mean just because Aku doesn't exist in the future doesn't mean future characters weren't born.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

I must have turned around quickly, I mean just because Aku doesn't exist in the future doesn't mean future characters weren't born.
Aku had a pretty significant effect on the overall timeline though, considering it was stated that he outright conquered many different planets and brought many aliens to Earth.

It's either that everyone in the Aku future was erased by Jack destroying Aku in the past or there's an alternate timeline still existing...except without Jack and the sword to stop Aku.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

achillesforever6 posted:

Maybe, but Aku is a pretty significant influence on the future and you can't really ignore the fact that if those characters exist, they would be very different versions of themselves.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Aku was Ashi's father though so I think that's what made it different? I guess? But if that was the case why didn't she just die when Aku did and it was a time paradox that killed her? But if it was a paradox why did she stay alive for like, several months? Was it not until the wedding that she stopped to think about the time travel physics? If she hadn't ever considered the ramifications of time travel would she be alive? If it was a willpower thing like Gurren Lagann what made her give up before the actual marriage?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i really liked the first 15 minutes, esp the classic opening being Aku's intro to capturing Jack

Yeah I thought that was great especially how we are watching tv while in universe guys are watching tv, the intro to an old Samurai Jack. How many shows are there where the intro is actually canon to the show haha?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Huh.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I liked it, but man, what I wouldn't have given for another couple episodes to let the show breath.

Edit: Seriously, you could've done an entire epilogue episode on Ashi slowly realizing she's vanishing from the timeline and trying to hide it from Jack until it's too late.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 21, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

nerdbot posted:

Aku was Ashi's father though so I think that's what made it different? I guess? But if that was the case why didn't she just die when Aku did and it was a time paradox that killed her? But if it was a paradox why did she stay alive for like, several months? Was it not until the wedding that she stopped to think about the time travel physics? If she hadn't ever considered the ramifications of time travel would she be alive? If it was a willpower thing like Gurren Lagann what made her give up before the actual marriage?

I feel like they could have made it work and made it more meaningful if they grew old together and then she fell ill, and revealed that the reason she was ill was because she'd been existing on pure force of will the entire time to be with him, and her body couldn't maintain it anymore. Then they could have had the same ending with her fading away and his being comforted by the ladybug.

I think I still would have just preferred split timelines, though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I can't bring myself to Stockholm syndrome myself into thinking 'they were going to botch it from the start, of course it's Cartoon Network!' and accept this. This ending could have been done better and I am deeply disappointed by this result.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

raditts posted:

I feel like they could have made it work and made it more meaningful if they grew old together and then she fell ill, and revealed that the reason she was ill was because she'd been existing on pure willpower the entire time to be with him, and her body couldn't maintain it anymore. Then they could have had the same ending with her fading away and his being comforted by the ladybug.

And then they could've loving shown him as an old bearded king or whatever!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I really have to wonder what the production process on the show was like. The first three episodes just feel so different from everything that came after, especially in terms of plotting and pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wow, I am not even disappointed. It literally went exactly as I thought it was going to go after episode 8. Ten years, everybody. Ten LONG years waiting for this final season. And it ended like people thought it would end when we thought the show was going to get cancelled Ten years ago. It's like they did what anime studios have done before and blew their entire budget on the first three episodes and left hardly anything else for the rest of the 7. What a disappointing end to what everyone thought was gonna be the capstone to Samurai Jack.

Fabricated posted:

These last couple of episode felt like a series being rushed to completion, but that obviously isn't what happened. Bleh.

This quality of "show cancelled" ending was 10 years overdue.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 21, 2017

• Locked thread