Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

TaurusOxford posted:

Mind showing pictures of what exactly you hosed up? Getting replacement parts is a hassle at best and you might be able to repair what you still have.

I'll post some tonight, I'm not getting a whole mother kit. I'll look at the salvage services but I'm cool living without the tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Soul of Chogokin Daizyujin is mine!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Soul of Chogokin Daizyujin is mine!

Does it come with a super tiny right sword holding hand?

Gotta be accurate to the show!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

Does it come with a super tiny right sword holding hand?

Gotta be accurate to the show!

Daizyujin is pretty light on the accessories, so no optional cardboard suit parts for you.

More pics of me having fun with it:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Daizyujin is pretty light on the accessories, so no optional cardboard suit parts for you.

More pics of me having fun with it:

Eight-year-old me is soooo jealous of you right now :allears:. Now you gotta cross your fingers and hope for a Soul of Chogokin Dragon Megazord.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eight-year-old me is soooo jealous of you right now :allears:. Now you gotta cross your fingers and hope for a Soul of Chogokin Dragon Megazord.
According to MMPtoy's video It's pretty much comparable with Legacy Dragonzord.

DerringerWhale
Aug 17, 2015

Bimmi posted:

I honestly don't know what they could have done to solve the issue of TV support. The US audience wanted more Wing, which was impossible, and instead they were given an old-rear end show that bore little resemblance to the thing they actually liked. There is nothing that could have been done to fix this short of producing new series, which is why I've always felt the whole venture was doomed from the start.

I will give Bandai some credit for keeping Gundam in the big boxes for several years before it flamed out. That's actually not a terrible run, but it's obviously not what they were shooting for, and I still think treating MSG as though it was already a huge hit here was not, in the end, a very wise move.

For the franchise, I think the way it's turned out seems to have been the best scenario in the U.S.

Something that most consumers don't realize is that large retailers like target, walmart, etc. have huge huge requirements be done for products in their stores. We're talking bullshit from logistical aspects, packaging requirements, sell through, "marketing" fees, and other crap. They can dictate almost anything since the "prestige" of being on their shelf is what manufacturers are supposed to desire. If Gundam was successful in mass retail at the time, it would have to cater to retailer demands. And I don't think that would have been good. Look at power rangers, they were no longer able to keep the toys as carbon copies of the ones sold in Japan and they had to make "kiddie" friendly versions of them that were at a lower price point that were inferior in quality and clearly missing features. I don't think anyone here would want "different" Gundam product just because American retailers would want something to be that way for it to fit their shelves better. Remember HGUC RX-78-2? U.S. version had features removed to lower the cost. And the reason this still happens is because they believe they are servicing a demographic that's still 8-12 years old and that it has to be affordable to them. The toy section is still for 8-12 year olds in the U.S. and the u.s. retailer has been so terribly slow to adapt and notice the older demographic. U.S. Gundam fans by demographic data we've seen and analyzed, are in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. They aren't dumb. They will feel tricked and scammed if they see something was changed. Of course given the state of retail right now, it's not good to be dependent on the majority of your sales being in this type of channel of distribution.

Gundam if it was still being dependent on TV for exposure and tied to mass retailers is actually the worst thing that could have happened given how the Internet and eCommerce has shaped consumption of media and goods. If you look at most market analyst reports, it is 100% a bad idea to be a retail chain right now and if you are a toy line, you better be a company that's already existed on the shelf for 50+ years or you won't have a name to you. It's presence because it was driven from mass retail and TV has shown a capacity for adaptation and gained what I consider a fairly solid fanbase that kept itself relevant and busy. Rather than having a foundation of casual mainstream viewers that would be spoonfed the next thing that was the "in" thing to do, U.S. Gundam fans were raised with a terrible childhood having to figure out everything on their own including the other Gundam series besides Wing, where to buy merchandise if it wasn't at ToysRus, where to find other fans, etc. This basically weeded out everyone who was a fairweather fan and left only the more hardcore fan who wanted more and would basically evangelize Gundam if given the chance. This fan eagerly tried to get more Gundam in any shape or form as possible even through pirating currently airing series and other means. And so whenever there were attempts by Bandai/Sunrise to do something more Gundam related in the U.S. whether it be video games, series localization, there was always already a foot hold, even if it was a small one, of dedicated fans willing to give a chance in the hopes the flood gates of more content and merchandise would come through. And because they had already experienced a great deal of Gundam on their own, I think this is what allowed the u.s. to bypass the greatest hurdle to Gundam: the Universal Century.

Gundam's greatest hurdle is that the vast majority of its content and merchandise strategy has been from continuations of the original Gundam calendar, the Universal Century. In its almost 40 year history, there have been titles released every few years that are either sequels or sidestories to events that happened before many U.S. fans were born. Getting someone into Gundam and retaining them is excruciatingly difficult. For many who were children at the time after Wing, MSG was not the way to go, but it had to be done otherwise the rest of Gundam would be impossible to continue given that all the AUs were just self-contained shows intended to get people into the original timeline which had the bulk of merchandise and media. Gundam is not a kid's show by what americans consider content for kids. And to a point, neither is the merchandise.

I'm of the camp that doesn't believe Gundam X would have helped at the time. No merchandise to tie in with the TV show. What would have helped at the time is if Gundam Seed aired immediately after Wing on TV and not 3 years later. But we know that was impossible.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah, things actually seem to be in a pretty good place right now. And I've heard reports that Gundam is even creeping back into TRU again, which is unexpected but kind of cool.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Wait, there was a US version HGUC RX-78-2? And it had features removed? What in the world did they take out?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The core fighter. Possibly the bazooka.

Weird move, since it was sold alongside more expensive HGs from other shows, but I guess someone decided everything from MSG had to be priced the same (e: actually, it was probably so all the MSG kits would fit in the same shipping box, so there you go.)

Also, there was no HGUC Zaku at the time, so they had to rebox the piece-of-poo poo one from 08MST. Meanwhile, on the toy end, you had bizarre US-only exclusives like a Gallop playset that were pushing $30 a pop.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 19, 2017

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

That is really funny, and you must be right, the core fighter and bazooka parts on the runners stick out just past the standard def box size and are both gated so they can exclude molding them. I guess they planned for US retail from the start, I wonder if they made any other less obvious concessions during the design of the thing. Also you have a hell of a memory, a few days ago I couldn't even remember whether the RX-78 had white or blue colored shoulder armor.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zedd posted:

According to MMPtoy's video It's pretty much comparable with Legacy Dragonzord.

Legacy Dragonzord suffers from the same issues as most Legacy toys - poor diecast use and lacking joints that can support the weight. I have no doubts that we'll see a SoC version provided Megazord justifies it with sales.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
SoC Megazord is pretty much a really really good and high end version of the old toy. Love the Triceratops' transformation bits for the legtreads and the chain horns. I was expecting a little more accessories like alternate hands and stuff. Its great, not quite what I was expecting, but that's probably on me.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

EthanSteele posted:

SoC Megazord is pretty much a really really good and high end version of the old toy. Love the Triceratops' transformation bits for the legtreads and the chain horns. I was expecting a little more accessories like alternate hands and stuff. Its great, not quite what I was expecting, but that's probably on me.

I really wish it had fully articulated hands. I'm gonna see if I can get some 1/60 scale hands to replace the current ones, cause not only do his hands limit dynamic posing, they don't do a very good job of holding the sword or shield.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

DerringerWhale posted:

Gundam's greatest hurdle is that the vast majority of its content and merchandise strategy has been from continuations of the original Gundam calendar, the Universal Century. In its almost 40 year history, there have been titles released every few years that are either sequels or sidestories to events that happened before many U.S. fans were born. Getting someone into Gundam and retaining them is excruciatingly difficult. For many who were children at the time after Wing, MSG was not the way to go, but it had to be done otherwise the rest of Gundam would be impossible to continue given that all the AUs were just self-contained shows intended to get people into the original timeline which had the bulk of merchandise and media. Gundam is not a kid's show by what americans consider content for kids. And to a point, neither is the merchandise.

I was thinking about this. It's a pretty interesting problem, that a lot of the products are tied up in a really inaccessible media franchise, and there's also the additional issue that getting new, western audiences into Gundam is kind of hamstrung by the fact that most of the recent Gundam media has been good-but-flawed at best, and mostly very flawed or mediocre. And then you can add the difficulty for a Japanese company to try and formulate a new series/OVA/etc that would appeal to western markets AND the Japanese market, and have the confidence to support it with product lines.

I actually think licensing the IP to a video game developer might be a smart move in this situation. The western gaming market is probably bigger than the anime-viewing market, whilst still having a lot of overlapping interests, and it's also a market that would buy into merchandising, including Gunpla. Most of the current Gundam games just aim at appealing to existing fans with the whole battle royale, all your favourite characters and robots sorta setup; if Bandai aimed at, say, a broad-strokes video game adaption of 0079, it might do really well? If nothing else, by adapting 0079 Bandai would be able to sell a lot of existing one year war model kits to a new customer base.

Adapting The Origin into a modern anime would probably meet a lot of the same ends, though, especially if it was available on Netflix or another really big streaming platform.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think releasing the origin OVAs as is would be better than adapting them into a series. RE0096 loving suuuucks compared the the OVAs of Unicorn.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A military shooter where you play as a member of ECOAS

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

A military shooter where you play as a member of ECOAS

I remember being really disappointed Mobile Ops: The One Year War was never brought to NA because at the time I was into the Battlefield series. :sigh: gently caress Bandai. I want to hunt mobile suits with a rocket launcher.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I found the Origin OVA extremely unappealing, but perhaps that's just me. I like the videogame idea, though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I actually think licensing the IP to a video game developer might be a smart move in this situation. The western gaming market is probably bigger than the anime-viewing market, whilst still having a lot of overlapping interests, and it's also a market that would buy into merchandising, including Gunpla. Most of the current Gundam games just aim at appealing to existing fans with the whole battle royale, all your favourite characters and robots sorta setup; if Bandai aimed at, say, a broad-strokes video game adaption of 0079, it might do really well? If nothing else, by adapting 0079 Bandai would be able to sell a lot of existing one year war model kits to a new customer base.

There were several games for the PS2 along the lines you describe though they were all fjbj and we got translations as an afterthought. Or are you thinking of a game by a western studio using the setting and plot?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It would pretty much have to be developed by someone other than Bandai to have any kind of broad appeal... then again, that didn't work out too well last time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwWxxY0IILE

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Red Bones posted:

I was thinking about this. It's a pretty interesting problem, that a lot of the products are tied up in a really inaccessible media franchise, and there's also the additional issue that getting new, western audiences into Gundam is kind of hamstrung by the fact that most of the recent Gundam media has been good-but-flawed at best, and mostly very flawed or mediocre. And then you can add the difficulty for a Japanese company to try and formulate a new series/OVA/etc that would appeal to western markets AND the Japanese market, and have the confidence to support it with product lines.

Adapting The Origin into a modern anime would probably meet a lot of the same ends, though, especially if it was available on Netflix or another really big streaming platform.

New Gundam Versus is coming out in the west

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I would say Gundam Versus is covered by the "battle royale, all your favourite characters and robots sorta setup" qualifier.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Bimmi posted:

It would pretty much have to be developed by someone other than Bandai to have any kind of broad appeal... then again, that didn't work out too well last time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwWxxY0IILE

lmao holy poo poo I always wondered where that live action Char came from.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That is shaw I'll have you know

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

He is a Shaw.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

"The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want and if they can't find them, make them."

...Yeah, checks out.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Midjack posted:

There were several games for the PS2 along the lines you describe though they were all fjbj and we got translations as an afterthought. Or are you thinking of a game by a western studio using the setting and plot?

Yeah, I was thinking of a game targeted at western audiences with the (general) plot of 0079, enough of it that a player could then go on to watch the original series or read The Origin or have an easier time getting interested in one of the 1000+ UC stories. I think it'd be interesting to give it to a western Dev and it wouldn't be too risky, since 0079 is a pretty conventional war story and those are pretty well-trodden ground in western game development. Having a game really centred around mech combat would probably be the most unfamiliar thing for western audiences. And obviously there would be a lot of the OYW suits in the game so that Bandai could just start selling merchandise right off the bat. That might present it's own problems because a lot of them don't fit very well with the contemporary Sci fi aesthetic, but again, it'd be interesting to see how a studio would solve that, in terms of art direction.

I don't think it's likely to ever happen, but it's an interesting idea.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Red Bones posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of a game targeted at western audiences with the (general) plot of 0079, enough of it that a player could then go on to watch the original series or read The Origin or have an easier time getting interested in one of the 1000+ UC stories. I think it'd be interesting to give it to a western Dev and it wouldn't be too risky, since 0079 is a pretty conventional war story and those are pretty well-trodden ground in western game development. Having a game really centred around mech combat would probably be the most unfamiliar thing for western audiences. And obviously there would be a lot of the OYW suits in the game so that Bandai could just start selling merchandise right off the bat. That might present it's own problems because a lot of them don't fit very well with the contemporary Sci fi aesthetic, but again, it'd be interesting to see how a studio would solve that, in terms of art direction.

I don't think it's likely to ever happen, but it's an interesting idea.

You want 0079 with modern mecha and character designs? Sounds like it's time for For The Barrel!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A western adaptation should be really simple, but there is no way people would manage to not gently caress it up. Even the three compilation films could be condensed into one with a steady enough editor in hand.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

You want 0079 with modern mecha and character designs? Sounds like it's time for For The Barrel!

I love "Complicity: Yoshiyuki Tomino".

You did this, Tomino, or you could have stopped it. Which is it? It doesn't matter now.

(I am really curious about For The Barrel, especially with how little I've been able to dig up. Very weird mech designs. I mean, normally when I think 'updated Gundam', I think something like Turn A or IBO at the outside. It's recognizably humanoid, recognizably based on the 78, but pretty distant. This stuff is further from the originals than Gundam is from Armored Core or Front Mission.)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the goal is to make the Gundam franchise big in the west, the key to that is a really good Gundam series that stands by itself without knowing anything about Gundam, and appeals to Americans. If the question is how to make a lot of people in America watch Zeta gundam, the answer is that's not going to happen.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Guy Goodbody posted:

the key to that is a really good Gundam series that stands by itself without knowing anything about Gundam, and appeals to Americans.

I mean I'm not wholly against constant and unending G Gundam.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I mean I'm not wholly against constant and unending G Gundam.

G Gundam IBO?... You know what? I'd totally go for that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

If the goal is to make the Gundam franchise big in the west, the key to that is a really good Gundam series that stands by itself without knowing anything about Gundam, and appeals to Americans. If the question is how to make a lot of people in America watch Zeta gundam, the answer is that's not going to happen.

It seemed to be what they're trying to do with IBO as well. Cheap kits, a standalone show about badass (along with doomed, emotionally traumatized, self destructive, codependent, and really young) mercenaries that doesn't need the viewers to be aware of the Gundam precedent it plays with, a dub on cartoon network. I mean, quality might be debated (for the record, I thought it was pretty good overall, despite some flaws), but it's definitely more approachable and in tune with western sensibilities than a lot of other Gundam shows.

It's not a show that makes Gundam huge, but that's a pretty tall order. It does seem to have raised its profile and increased western kit sales a good deal, so that's something.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Suzaku posted:

G Gundam IBO?... You know what? I'd totally go for that.

G Gundam Build Fighters Try. Mobile trace system to control tiny plastic toys. No nocebos

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
id like the next gundam to go super hard on the old school sci-fi poo poo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It seemed to be what they're trying to do with IBO as well. Cheap kits, a standalone show about badass (along with doomed, emotionally traumatized, self destructive, codependent, and really young) mercenaries that doesn't need the viewers to be aware of the Gundam precedent it plays with, a dub on cartoon network. I mean, quality might be debated (for the record, I thought it was pretty good overall, despite some flaws), but it's definitely more approachable and in tune with western sensibilities than a lot of other Gundam shows.

It's not a show that makes Gundam huge, but that's a pretty tall order. It does seem to have raised its profile and increased western kit sales a good deal, so that's something.

Yeah, IBO was pretty much the best show available for the big Western push, alongside Thunderbolt, and those're what they're pushing. I'd say the franchise is giving it its best shot this time round.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

muike posted:

id like the next gundam to go super hard on the old school sci-fi poo poo

How old school? Flash Gordon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

IIRC Bandai NA is about to break even next year after losing like a hundred million dollars over the early 2010's, so what they're doing seems to be working, that's quite a turnaround for a few short years. Gundam's a drat big chunk of Bandai so I thought that was relevant.

I do think though that the franchise is too inbred to have much growth beyond increased appeal to existing current/former fans, and they need more off the wall stuff like Build Fighters to have any hope of breaking into a larger audience. Their attempts to sprinkle wider appeal into normal Gundam have been so stupid that I refuse to believe any of it worked on anybody.