Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

MadJackMcJack posted:

:negative: I just wanna brawl.

Should've played a destroyer. You brawl a lot more than most battleships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Got the perma camos for the Bismarck two tasks into the fourth set of missions. I may do the next set for the Hood ones just in case, but then I might stop (but I really really like all the new special flags).

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Got camo around 4th mission. Kinda shame there aren't any extra bonus.

Now I just need to do 3 more missions to complete the drat campaign :smithicide:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Got a Saipan. Man, I'm terrible at carriers :(

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

orange juche posted:

It was a bow in snipe fest

:mediocre:

Aesis posted:

Got camo around 4th mission. Kinda shame there aren't any extra bonus.

Do they do anything at all?

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Same bonuses as those tier VI camos from the Graf Spee campaign

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Concealment, dispersion and +50% XP?

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

Yep

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

And you can swap between them freely?

I kind of like that damaged one actually. Not sure why though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
NA event with +100% credits when you get a kill + MIssouri + all credit bonuses + a good game =

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Hood mission summary so far.

Mission 1: Dealing 60k damage? Easy. You can do it in 1 game if RNG is on your side.
Mission 2: Destroy 2 enemy Cruisers? With the gun's accuracy it'll be tough at range, but it's easily doable. Took me only 1 game.
Mission 3: Hit 3 citadels? Now that's bit tricky with gun accuracy and short fuse and whatnot. Took me 4 games to get 3 citadels, with 4th game netting me 2 extra citadels thanks to dumb Belfast showing broadside at 10 km.
Mission 4: Destroy 2 enemy Battleships? This is actually hard since you're not gonna get citadel hits on battleships and just end up doing normal penetration damage. Just hope that you can kill steal fast, but good luck with that accuracy. Took me 5 games.
Mission 5: Destroy 2 enemy Destroyers? For this I changed my setting to Secondary build and equipped Sierra Mike (speed) flag and just charged in guns blazing with HE. Even then you just have to hope that there are Destroyers brave enough to dare into 6 km range. Luckily I had 2 dumb ones so got 2 kills in 3 games. Could have taken forever if destroyers played smart.
Mission 6: Destroy or incapacitate 6 modules? Just load HE and shoot decks for a bit. You can easily do this in 1 game.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Insert name here posted:

NA event with +100% credits when you get a kill + MIssouri + all credit bonuses + a good game =

You didn't get the credit multiplier for winning :stare:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Shame they don't have extra bonuses :argh:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
drat, that Missouri game :stare:

I did this in a Baltimore and thought it was a high roller of a game, but lol not even close. SURPRISE! HE! with radar against DDs with this thing never really gets old, now that it finally has a fast enough rof to take good advantage of it.

(For some reason the enemy CV kept trying to strike me, and while Baltimore isn't up to Des Moines or even Kutuzov's level of AA, it's still a US cruiser.)

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Watching two Hoods brawling each other is like watching two asthmatic fat kids try to kill each other with pool noodles. :allears:

I'm honestly surprised how many people bought those boats.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Warship nerds have hardons for ships whose major accomplishments were blowing up. See: Hood, Arizona, Tirpitz, Bismarck, Yamato

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4hVQaQS20U

Cleveland can be really good and fun with a 19 point captain

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

ranbo das posted:

Warship nerds have hardons for ships whose major accomplishments were blowing up. See: Hood, Arizona, Tirpitz, Bismarck, Yamato

Most ships that end up doing any real fighting tend to get blown up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MikeC posted:

Several of those did no fighting and were just sunk by planes

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

orange juche posted:

I consider furiously emptying clip after clip of high explosive in the air in a desperate bid to survive, fighting.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
What's the point of American CVs, really? The Japanese CVs can muster many more bomber squadrons and do much more to directly help their team. As an American CV, I have a choice between:

1) Many different squadrons, not enough of anything.
2) All bombers.
3) Air supremacy with a token dive bomber.

orange juche posted:

History's repeating itself in the game erryday

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What's the point of American CVs, really?

Making your team lose

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
The point of US CVs is to make you sad you went US CVs instead of IJN CVs. It gets better at the Essex and Midway due to getting actual decent plane loadouts (1/1/3 and 2/1/2 respectively), but you're still not as good as your IJN counterparts due to several reasons; notably, less squadrons in the air so you have less presence, and your squadrons have a longer turnaround time due to at the minimum being 50% bigger and also each individual plane takes longer for the US. For example the Midway's fighters take ~6.33s per plane to ready, and come in a squadron of 6. The Hakuryu's fighters take 5s to ready, and come in a squad of 4. This means that before skills the Hakuryu readies its fighters in 20s, while the Midway takes 38s, as well as a slight increase in take-off and land times. It also means that due to the plane ready time penalty from losing whole squadrons being a multiplier (2.5x), for US CVs losing an entire squadron means you're looking usually at like 1m40s (!) before you can launch another squadron.

I think the only US CV that's actually better than its IJN counterpart is... the Saipan. And maybe the Langley I guess. I would actually say 1/1/0 Bogue was the best T5 CV as well, but now that they've removed manual drops and strafes at T5 you can just faceroll over everyone with 1/1/0 anymore. :(

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Watching two Hoods brawling each other is like watching two asthmatic fat kids try to kill each other with pool noodles. :allears:

I'm honestly surprised how many people bought those boats.
Yeah Hood's guns are real bad. The penetration is noticeably lovely and that dispersion would make a German BB proud. Still I quite enjoy the thing as you can tank pretty hard if you angle well.

Gwaihir posted:

drat, that Missouri game :stare:

I did this in a Baltimore and thought it was a high roller of a game, but lol not even close. SURPRISE! HE! with radar against DDs with this thing never really gets old, now that it finally has a fast enough rof to take good advantage of it.

(For some reason the enemy CV kept trying to strike me, and while Baltimore isn't up to Des Moines or even Kutuzov's level of AA, it's still a US cruiser.)
Yeah Baltimore with the RoF mod is super cool + good. Though I should point out that Kutuzov has worse AA than the Baltimore, even discounting the short range AA. Kutuzov's total AA is 264 while the Baltimore's AA is 282, or 365 if you include the close range AA guns.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

MikeC posted:

"But what if they didn't get blown up. Can you imagine how unstoppable they'd have been?"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tirranek posted:

"But what if they didn't get blown up. Can you imagine how unstoppable they'd have been?"

In every sense of the word

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CREF1jKI8zk

Insane finish to KotS 3. A Cyclone game with all sorts of twists and turns.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Now that I played the Hood I'm generally a bit worried about thew Brit BB line.

KGV had 14" guns, Vanguard used the same 15" guns as the Warspite and Hood and only the planned Lion class had 16". Also the whole Brit BB line was armed with few and rather mediocre secondaries. The game really needs a fresh BB that can shake up the Bismarck/Tirpitz meta at T8 and I don't see the Brit lineup having anything that would get even close.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

KGV had 14" guns, Vanguard used the same 15" guns as the Warspite and Hood and only the planned Lion class had 16". Also the whole Brit BB line was armed with few and rather mediocre secondaries. The game really needs a fresh BB that can shake up the Bismarck/Tirpitz meta at T8 and I don't see the Brit lineup having anything that would get even close.

Ooor, they could do something more fun but reducing the reload on german secondaries. Perhaps cut down on their aa dps too. Although, I'd say the same of BBs in general. Cruisers holding an anti-are bubble is one thing, but high tier BBs walking it as well just destroys the reason for cvs in the game as well.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Hammerstein posted:

KGV had 14" guns, Vanguard used the same 15" guns as the Warspite and Hood and only the planned Lion class had 16".

Nelson and Rodney had 16" guns, though apparently they didn't work that well.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Hammerstein posted:

WG can always just give them fake guns that they never got. The Gneiseneau never did get the 15 inch guns that she has now, she got bombed in dry dock while going through the refit and got scrapped as a results. Just give the KGV the 15 inch guns that she should have gotten.

Vanguard 15 inch guns at T7n KGV with fake guns at T8, Nelson at T9, Lion at T10.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Nelson has 3x3 16 inch cannons.

It is also a silly looking cheese wedge of a bote.

The Brit BBs are really great in Steel Ocean. Their gimmick is that their guns are the second slowest firing (they load a bit faster than the Japanese) and have slow velocity since they use really heavy shells, but they're accurate and have the second best damage and pen per shell (Best Pen is Germans, best damage is Japanese). I could see a similar gimmick here, with good pen and normalization, good sigma, and poor velocity/floaty arcs.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Just give the Brits block shots like they had in Navy Field. Seeing an entire salvo of battleship shells land on a dime and shatter DDs going at 60+ knots was funny every time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nelson will be a tier 7, and it has the good type of pyramid turret layout

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

The game really needs a fresh BB that can shake up the Bismarck/Tirpitz meta at T8 and I don't see the Brit lineup having anything that would get even close.

Richelieu got you covered.
Hopefully it won't get overmatched by 380mm like dunkerque...

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Has anyone played with the Fire Prevention build at all? I am gearing up a Bayern captain in case the next ranked season is T6. The latest Flamu guide doesn't have a twinked out captain perk section. Was wondering how effective the perk is. Any insight into what to take?

Right now I have sketched out Preventative Maintenance, Expert Marks, Superintendant, and Adrenaline Rush for sure. Flamu has Manual AA but I typically skimp on AA protection and am ok living with the consequences (who plays carriers on NA anyways). I was thinking of adding Fire Prevention, High Alert, and Basics of Survivability to try and make some sort of super tank. Just not sure whether the Fire Prevention perk is of any use at all.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MikeC posted:

Has anyone played with the Fire Prevention build at all? I am gearing up a Bayern captain in case the next ranked season is T6. The latest Flamu guide doesn't have a twinked out captain perk section. Was wondering how effective the perk is. Any insight into what to take?

Right now I have sketched out Preventative Maintenance, Expert Marks, Superintendant, and Adrenaline Rush for sure. Flamu has Manual AA but I typically skimp on AA protection and am ok living with the consequences (who plays carriers on NA anyways). I was thinking of adding Fire Prevention, High Alert, and Basics of Survivability to try and make some sort of super tank. Just not sure whether the Fire Prevention perk is of any use at all.

The FP skill I think doesnt do too much? it isnt an additive skill iirc, it's multiplicative, which means it's kinda poo poo. Assuming a 15% chance of fire on any one shell for HE, which is actually probably lower due to a lot of people running IFHE, at a 15% chance FP reduces your fire chance by 1.05%

It takes a roughly 3% bite out of BB main gun chance of fire, and less than a half a % chance reduction of fire from DD shells.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 22, 2017

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MikeC posted:

WG can always just give them fake guns that they never got. The Gneiseneau never did get the 15 inch guns that she has now, she got bombed in dry dock while going through the refit and got scrapped as a results. Just give the KGV the 15 inch guns that she should have gotten.

Vanguard 15 inch guns at T7n KGV with fake guns at T8, Nelson at T9, Lion at T10.

How good the guns are is about more than just caliber. Weather the changes in ordinance works in the wows model which is very caliber based or not is another question.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The Sims is a fun boat and I enjoy it immensely, except when I gently caress up and die to a good DD player or when people see a Sims doing well because they'll suicide themselves if it means killing you. The Sims seems to attract a lot more heat than a regular DD, but maybe it is the tier.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

orange juche posted:

The FP skill I think doesnt do too much? it isnt an additive skill iirc, it's multiplicative, which means it's kinda poo poo. Assuming a 15% chance of fire on any one shell for HE, which is actually probably lower due to a lot of people running IFHE, at a 15% chance FP reduces your fire chance by 1.05%

It takes a roughly 3% bite out of BB main gun chance of fire, and less than a half a % chance reduction of fire from DD shells.
The main reason to take FP is that it combines your two superstructure fire points into a single one so it's much harder for people to get double fires on you. I use it on my Hood to go all in on tanking but I usually feel those 4 points can be spent elsewhere better on other boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Insert name here posted:

The main reason to take FP is that it combines your two superstructure fire points into a single one so it's much harder for people to get double fires on you. I use it on my Hood to go all in on tanking but I usually feel those 4 points can be spent elsewhere better on other boats.

Was its old ability the-7%? If the new thing is merging fire points that is infinitely more useful than any actual amount of reduction in chance since it pretty much straight up caps you at pretty much 1 fire max realistically. TBH you need FP on the hood because it has a loving fivehead.