Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Covok posted:

I wholeheartedly agree with this assertion. I personally find the Jedi/Sith religious conflict one of the more entertaining elements. Or, I suppose, I should say Light Side/Dark Side, since nucanon is willing to walk away from Sith and Jedi. But, still, I do hear many online assert the opposite. If could play devil's advocate, they tend to prefer the Empire/Rebel conflict and wish the story focused more on the exploits of those who are simply mortal. They often contest that Force Sensitivty is overpowered and do not like how it creates a class system to biological life, in their view. Though, personally, I feel that's missing the point in two ways as everyone uses the force to some degree in Star Wars and, frankly, it's just a movie.

Yeah, the Force and all of the stuff surrounding it are what gives everything an even more interesting layer. Without the force Qui-Gon wouldn't be the most interesting character in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yaws posted:

Yeah. This forum is bleeding posters and probating one that initiates discussion for being kinda smug is a bad move

I've always found the "he's too smug!" thing to be a little odd considering even in CineD people regularly get called "loving idiots" and autists for their movie opinions. A month probation for being smug seems like way overkill.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

A month probation for being smug seems like way overkill.

It is. It really is. SMG is a smug dickhead but CD is dull without him.

loving Christ the moderation on SA sucks dick. "oh you're acting kinda smug? suck on a month long probation!"

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It is, admittedly, pretty sad that SMG eats a month long probation for doing what he always does (where's the consistency?!); meanwhile terrible shitpostery runs rampant through the rest of the forums.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I agree, if only because it would spare us entire pages of posting about posting.

What I'm more interested in is what the hell happened during ANH's production that lead to 'Obi-Wan Kenobi', the fakest japanese name that was ever faked and japanese, being played by classically trained British actor Alec Guinness.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ungulateman posted:

I agree, if only because it would spare us entire pages of posting about posting.

What I'm more interested in is what the hell happened during ANH's production that lead to 'Obi-Wan Kenobi', the fakest japanese name that was ever faked and japanese, being played by classically trained British actor Alec Guinness.

Toshiro Mifune turned Lucas down.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Toshiro Mifune turned Lucas down.

Alas, the Star Wars that could have been.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder who would have played prequel Obi-Wan if Mifune took the role.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
This isn't the place to talk about posting or modding (that's QCS, or even the Gen Chat thread here in CD) , but I like to be clear and open about what I do so I'll say it here. I have no issue with SMG's ideas, or what he thinks about movies, and I even agree with him a lot of the time. But being a continually condescending prick to someone who doesn't agree with you is not ok for anyone to do, and to continually do it after receiving probations for it is also not okay. I gave him a month because he continues to do it, and shows no sign of stopping. If he wants to come back and continue to be condescending, I'm going to continue to probate him, sorry if that makes you mad.

Now again, if you want to continue this conversation please go to the Gen Chat thread or QCS. Thanks, all.

edit- Or PM me! You can do that too, I forgot.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 20, 2017

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

UmOk posted:

Whether we choose to or not, we impart our own (Accurate or inaccurate) meaning to words. The immediate and unconscious nature of this surface reading makes it feel the most real, but is really truth at its most abstract. The ability to read well implies going beneath the surface of words to find the truth of the speaker/writer. Rather than engage UmOk's critique of inaccurate reading directly, you've decided to take shelter in smugism by shifting the focus back to who the gently caress cares.

I care about what posters mean with their words, yes. If anything I said is unclear, I am willing to elaborate.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
GEORGE LUCAS AND FRANCIS FOR COPPOLA PRESENT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzR87VBlaoo

Without George one my favorite movies wouldn't exist. He's cool. :colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

GEORGE LUCAS AND FRANCIS FOR COPPOLA PRESENT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzR87VBlaoo

Without George one my favorite movies wouldn't exist. He's cool. :colbert:
I wasn't a huge fan of Kagemusha at first but it's really grown on me over time.

N Pain
May 19, 2017

by Smythe
So I re watched The Force Awakens plinkett review and something he talked about at the end really stuck with me. The lack of romance and intimacy in the new trilogy. The heart of ESB was the budding romance between Han and Leia. Their was a real sexual energy in the OT, that is sorely missing in this new trilogy. Plinkett touches on the two most probable reasons for this. Racism and PC culture. I know the casting of Finn was color blind, but I really feel like if a white actor had been cast, the relationship dynamic between Finn and Rey would have played out differently. They definitely would have planted the seeds for a future romantic relationship and she would have kissed him on the lips at the end. Or if Finn had been played by someone like Michael B Jordan, they would have allowed a little mutual flirting between the two. As it stands you have this chubby immature guy that spends the whole film sweating and screaming. What do you guys think? Will their be any kind of romantic relationship in the new films?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

N Pain posted:

So I re watched The Force Awakens plinkett review and something he talked about at the end really stuck with me. The lack of romance and intimacy in the new trilogy. The heart of ESB was the budding romance between Han and Leia. Their was a real sexual energy in the OT, that is sorely missing in this new trilogy. Plinkett touches on the two most probable reasons for this. Racism and PC culture. I know the casting of Finn was color blind, but I really feel like if a white actor had been cast, the relationship dynamic between Finn and Rey would have played out differently. They definitely would have planted the seeds for a future romantic relationship and she would have kissed him on the lips at the end. Or if Finn had been played by someone like Michael B Jordan, they would have allowed a little mutual flirting between the two. As it stands you have this chubby immature guy that spends the whole film sweating and screaming. What do you guys think? Will their be any kind of romantic relationship in the new films?

John Boyega's not chubby. Michael B Jordan's black.

How is this not a bannable post?

N Pain
May 19, 2017

by Smythe

porfiria posted:

John Boyega's not chubby. Michael B Jordan's black.

How is this not a bannable post?

I'm black too idiot. MBJ is handsome and sexually dimorphic. John Boyega is not imo. It's kind of like the story behind pretty in pink. In the original script the nerdy best friend gets the girl in the end, but Molly Ringwald did not find the actor they casted (Jon Cryer) attractive and the two had no chemistry. Ringwald is on record as saying that had someone like Robert Downey Jr or Michael Anthony Hall played that role the film would have turned out differently. I feel like if Finn was played by a more conventionally attractive man, the two would have more sexual chemistry, instead of that weird G rated relationship between two fully grown adults. But than again, I don't think Disney has the balls to put and BM/WF couple as the flagship for their new cinematic universe.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder who would have played prequel Obi-Wan if Mifune took the role.

Is there another Japanese guy working in Hollywood now or is it still just Ken Watanabe?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
Boyega plays the role of a nerdy guy because the younger cast are depicted as nerds. That is why we have Nerdy Darth Vader.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is there another Japanese guy working in Hollywood now or is it still just Ken Watanabe?

He was the only person I could think of, and I think he would have been too old back in 1999.

I was wondering, had Mifune accepted the role, would it have made Hollywood more accepting of Asian actors in lead roles? Surely having one of the greatest actors of the 20th Century in the most successful blockbuster series would have had a ripple effect leading to an increase of Asian lead actors in Hollywood movies?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was wondering, had Mifune accepted the role, would it have made Hollywood more accepting of Asian actors in lead roles?

No. White supremacy has survived more compelling symbolic victories.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If they are not limited to Japanese actors, PT Obi Wan can probably be played by Korean actor Lee Byung-hun, who is probably most well-known in West for playing Storm Shadow in the GI Joe movies (where he fought Snake Eyes who was played by Ray Park who was also Darth Maul).

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

Alas, the Star Wars that could have been.

Lucas himself says he wanted to cast Obi-Wan and Princess Leia with Japanese actors, along with a black actor for Han Solo:

The Making of Star Wars posted:

“There was talk at one point about having the princess and Ben Kenobi be Japanese,” Crittenden recalls, “which led George into thinking Han Solo might be black.”

“This was actually when I was looking for Ben Kenobi,” Lucas says. “I was going to use Toshiro Mifune; we even made a preliminary inquiry. If I’d gotten Mifune, I would’ve also used a Japanese princess, and then I would probably have cast a black Han Solo. At the same time, I was investigating Alec Guinness.”

What's left obvious but unsaid is the reality that casting a white woman as Princess Leia while putting a black man in the role of one of her potential love interests was something that Lucas was probably not willing to risk in 1976, given the already tenuous nature of the production under a studio that didn't buy into or even understand the concept of the film on a basic level and was busy giving him notes insisting that Chewbacca wear pants. In a way, the introduction of Lando Calrissian in TESB (a production where Lucas had full control) as Han Solo 2.0--and potential replacement for Harrison on the off chance he didn't sign on for the next film--might be seen as an attempt to make up for his earlier timidity.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 20, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That calls to mind Samuel Delany's original review of Star Wars in 1977, in Cosmos Science Fiction and Fantasy. In particular:

Samuel Delany posted:

Sometime, somewhere, somebody is going to write a review of Star Wars that begins: “In Lucas’s future, the black races and the yellow races have apparently died out and a sort of mid-Western American (with a few South Westerners who seem to specialize in being war ship pilots) has taken over the universe. By and large, women have also been bred out of the human race and, save for the odd gutsy princess or the isolated and coward aunt, humanity seems to be breeding quite nicely without them. …”

[...]

How does one put in some variety, some human variety? The same way you put in your barrage of allusions to other films, i.e., you just do it and don’t make a big thing.

To take the tiniest example: wouldn’t that future have been more interesting if, say, three-quarters of the rebel pilots just happened to have been Oriental women rather than just the guys who didn’t make it onto the Minnisota (sic) Ag-football team. It would even be more interesting to the guys at Minnisota (sic) Ag. This is science fiction after all.

No more explanation would have been needed for that (They came from a world colonized by Chinese where women were frequently pilots? Possibly they came from a dozen worlds and volunteered because they were all historically interested in the Red Guard? Or maybe it’s just because there are, indeed, lots of Chinese women?) than we get for why there just happens to be an Evil, Nasty, Octopoid Thingy in the Death Star garbage dump. (It was busy metabolizing garbage? Maybe it was an alien ambassador who felt more comfortable in that environment? Maybe it just growed?) That kind of off-handed flip is what you can do in science fiction. In the film world in the present, the token woman, token black, or what-have-you, is clearly propaganda, and even the people who are supposed to like that particular piece of it smile their smiles with rather more tightly pursed lips than is comfortable. In a science fiction film, however, the variety of human types should be as fascinating and luminous in itself as the variety of color in the set designer’s paint box.

The take away seems to be that George Lucas and Samuel Delany were on the same wavelength.

I should also quote this excerpt from Delany's more recent review of The Force Awakens, where he talks about watching The Empire Strikes Back and seeing Lando Calrissian.

Samuel Delany posted:

For years I have told the story of the two pounds of hate mail I received for my first review of Star Wars, back in COSMOS in ’77. When I walked into the office and it was waiting for me on the desk at which anyone who was briefly in the office but needed an hour to work would sit. It was the most mail I’d ever received for any piece of non-fiction I’d ever written: almost two pounds, and all of it, I learned as I went through it, angry and vituperative. [...] Hate mail can be highly instructive—or at least I have been luck enough to find it so. The message I began to put together as if the pages were transparent and the message was clear when you looked through them all, to physically inscribe them on top of one another. “We don’t want blacks, women, or anything else in our movie—and Star Wars is OUR film. It’s ours because we love it. We don’t want them there, even as an extra crossing in background, because, whenever we see one, we see a problem, a problem that is somehow other than ours and which the suggestion is, somehow, by being where we are, doing what we do, acting the way we act, WE cause it. And we don’t feel like we did. So stop making us feel bad when we’re in middle of having fun.” And when, two years later, the Empire Strikes Back opened and we saw handsome black Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian, front and center in the plot, I gained some respect for Mr. Lucas. Or rather I gained more respect for him. If I knew what I knew from simply suggesting for one paragraph at the end of a six page review, otherwise overwhelmingly positive, that the smallest suggestion, squeezed in at the end of it all, that there might be a little diversity in the lily white field, could elicit two pounds of objection and anger, laced with four letter words and worse, then Lucas must know it too. And the fact that he had decided to take it on, and risk loosing millions and millions of dollars spoke well of him to me. By doing that, I knew he was risking many millions of dollars on a gamble that he could make these kids, by the end of the movie, have a good time.

http://samueldelany.tumblr.com/post/82806452407/samuel-delany-reviews-the-first-star-wars-movie

https://www.facebook.com/samuelrdelany/posts/10153163385382047:0

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Maybe it was an alien ambassador who felt more comfortable in that environment?

Ambassadors From the Garbage Planet would make a great b-movie.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

sassassin posted:

The grey Jedi in RotJ uses a green lightsaber.

What the hell are "gray Jedi" even supposed to be? Is this a thing in canon now? The concept seems nonsensical because Jedi orthodoxy already preaches balance between light and dark. The problem with the prequel Jedi is that they've become so arrogant and self-righteous that they've forgotten this, which blinds them to the potential for darkness within themselves and allows it to take hold. This is in contrast to a guy like Qui-Gon Jinn, who is presented as the ideal Jedi--a sort of throwback to an earlier, less rigid, less hierarchical era in the Order--who says provocatively wise things like "Greed can be a powerful ally"; sweeps into and out of lawless Old West towns righting wrongs in a poncho, like some kind of avenging nomad; and casually exceeds his mandate in order to do things like rescue indigenous outcasts from execution and free slaves through convoluted gambling con jobs.

Basically, Qui-Gon Jinn owns, and he's supposed to be the representative of exactly the kind of wandering samurai OT purists used to fantasize about when it came to the Jedi, but which for story reasons Lucas couldn't make the whole Order emblematic of. Anakin is Qui-Gon's successor in this regard, which is what brings him into such frequent conflict with more structured and rules-oriented entities like Obi-Wan and the Council.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 20, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Penpal posted:

Has there ever been a good Start Wars fan film? Or have they all been people practicing fight choreography and lightsaber FX?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EDiQXhYIKY

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cnut the Great posted:

What the hell are "gray Jedi" even supposed to be? Is this a thing in canon now? The concept seems nonsensical because Jedi orthodoxy already preaches balance between light and dark. The problem with the prequel Jedi is that they've become so arrogant and self-righteous that they've forgotten this, which blinds them to the potential for darkness within themselves and allows it to take hold. This is in contrast to a guy like Qui-Gon Jinn, who is presented as the ideal Jedi--a sort of throwback to an earlier, less rigid, less hierarchical era in the Order--who says provocatively wise things like "Greed can be a powerful ally"; sweeps into and out of lawless Old West towns righting wrongs in a poncho, like some kind of avenging nomad; and casually exceeds his mandate in order to do things like rescue indigenous outcasts from execution and free slaves through convoluted gambling con jobs.

Basically, Qui-Gon Jinn owns, and he's supposed to be the representative of exactly the kind of wandering samurai OT purists used to fantasize about when it came to the Jedi, but which for story reasons Lucas couldn't make the whole Order emblematic of. Anakin is Qui-Gon's successor in this regard, which is what brings him into such frequent conflict with more structured and rules-oriented entities like Obi-Wan and the Council.

Or as Rifftrax succinctly put it, "Qui-Gonn talks and looks like the guy the normal Jedi buy weed from. "

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

The concept seems nonsensical because Jedi orthodoxy already preaches balance between light and dark.

It doesn't. The only "balance" the Jedi talk about is where the dark side is destroyed, that's "Balance to the force"- There can be no balance with the dark.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

LinkesAuge posted:

It doesn't. The only "balance" the Jedi talk about is where the dark side is destroyed, that's "Balance to the force"- There can be no balance with the dark.

Because the dark side is currently exercising an outsize influence and needs to be curtailed. "Balance" doesn't mean "no dark side." That's both linguistically and philosophically nonsensical.

e: George Lucas, translated from an obscure Japanese interview from 1999, one of the few times he's ever explicitly talked about what he means by "balance of the Force":

quote:

The meaning of Balance of the Force: Let me explain briefly. If good and evil are mixed things become blurred - there is nothing between good and evil, everything is grey. In each of us we have balance these emotions, and in the Star Wars saga the most important point is balance, balance between everything. It is dangerous to lose this. In The Phantom Menace one of the Jedi Council already knows the balance of The Force is starting to slip, and will slip further. It is obvious to this person that The Sith are going to destroy this balance. On the other hand a prediction which is referred to states someone will replace the balance in the future. At the right time a balance may again be created, but presently it is being eroded by dark forces. All of this shall be explained in Episode 2, so I can't say any more!

Not that it needs to be explained. The Star Wars movies have a tendency not to go into a lot of verbal depth about the philosophical concepts they deal with, but if you pay attention to the story and the visuals then it's not hard to figure out what's being communicated.

Explicit yin and yang imagery juxtaposed against Anakin taking a balanced stance at the center of a symmetrical composition:

Dark struggling futilely against light as the balance between nature and civilization is catastrophically disrupted:

Light being revealed within dark as internal and external balance is achieved (note the white-within-black color palette of Anakin/Vader as well as in Luke's outfit):

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 20, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Cnut the Great posted:

Because the dark side is currently exercising an outsize influence and needs to be curtailed. "Balance" doesn't mean "no dark side." That's both linguistically and philosophically nonsensical.

Right. And "balance" isn't going around and electrocuting people to make sure you've got a little dark side. It's about recognizing the darkness within and mastering it. The old Jedi get it wrong because instead of understanding and accepting their passion and anger and greed, they bury their heads in the sand and pretend they don't experience those things.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
This is also why I think Yoda gave Anakin terrible advice in Revenge of the Sith. Rather than helping him work through his possessiveness and fear for his wife, Yoda just tells him to not worry about it because everyone is part of the Force anyway. They had become so doctrinaire in their attempts at suppressing the Dark Side that they couldn't really help or teach any of their number who hadn't been raised to believe everything they say since birth.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Zoran posted:

Right. And "balance" isn't going around and electrocuting people to make sure you've got a little dark side. It's about recognizing the darkness within and mastering it. The old Jedi get it wrong because instead of understanding and accepting their passion and anger and greed, they bury their heads in the sand and pretend they don't experience those things.

Exactly. It's basic Jungian assimilation of the shadow, which is not a surprising concept to see show up in a work so heavily influenced by Joseph Campbell.

And again, this concept shows up quite explicitly in the final arc of TCW (whose story Lucas was purportedly heavily involved in) which was intended to explain definitively the secret of how Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin are able to transcend death. Yoda faces a dark version of himself (in a manner akin to Luke facing Vader in the cave on Dagobah) and finds that he is only able to triumph when he stops trying to fight his shadow and instead simply accepts it and literally absorbs it into himself.

Incidentally, it's actually pretty interesting to see how much Lucas's and Campbell's thinking on various concepts seems to converge:

Joseph Campbell posted:

The grail becomes symbolic of an authentic life that has lived in terms of its own volition, in terms of its own impulse system, which carries it between the pairs of opposites, of good and evil, light and dark. Wolfram starts his epic with a short poem saying, “Every act has both good and evil results.” Every act in life yields pairs of opposites in its results. The best we can do is lean toward the light, that is to say, intend the light, and what the light is, is that of the harmonious relationships that come from compassion, with suffering, understanding of the other person. This is what the Grail is about.

George Lucas posted:

“Ben will explain to Luke that he will gather all these powers, but he can’t use them for evil or he will succumb to the dark side of the Force. If you use it for evil, it will start using you. It is a force for good, but the more you become addicted to it, the more it controls you and the side that controls you is the bad side. The side that you can control is the good side. The good side is a passive side and the bad side is an aggressive side. Two sides to the Force: One is aggressive, one is passive in relationship to things.” (In one of his notes, Lucas wrote, “The mood of a warrior calls at once for control and abandon; the Force commands you and obeys you—unity of opposites.”)

George Lucas posted:

I think it is obvious that [Qui-Gon] was wrong in Episode I and made a dangerous decision, but ultimately this decision may be correct. The “phantom menace” refers to the force of the dark side of the universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy, but the individual who kills the Emperor is Darth Vader—also Anakin. The tale meanders and both the prediction and Qui-Gon are correct—Anakin is the chosen one, and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrifice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor.

The takeaway from all these quotes is that there is good and bad to be found in literally everything, and that the key therefore is not to seek to eradicate the bad--which is impossible and even counterproductive--but to simply recognize the bad and to keep it in balance. Only in that way is it truly possible to live a healthy, empathetic, compassionate life.

This is what goes wrong in Episode III, and why Lucas describes the problem in an earlier quote as being the proliferation of worldviews based on "shades of grey." Recognizing that good and bad exist in everything isn't the same as saying everything exists in shades of grey. There's no gray in the taijitu (yin and yang symbol). Yin and yang may contain, flow into, and even transform into each other, but there's always a discrete sense of duality at play. Light may become dark and vice versa, but when the lights are on you know it, and when the lights are off you also know it. The problem in Episode III is that no one can even tell anymore whether the lights are off or on at any given moment. Slaughtering children is no longer an unambiguously evil act that may nevertheless yield arguably good results (future peace and security in the Empire); instead, the act itself is neither good nor bad, but merely defined by the moral value of the consequences weighed against the moral value of the act itself, as subjectively determined by Anakin Skywalker. The same goes for Mace Windu and his murder of a (as far as he knew) helpless and defeated adversary.

It's the dark side of "a certain point of view." It's moral relativism writ large.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Beeez posted:

This is also why I think Yoda gave Anakin terrible advice in Revenge of the Sith. Rather than helping him work through his possessiveness and fear for his wife, Yoda just tells him to not worry about it because everyone is part of the Force anyway. They had become so doctrinaire in their attempts at suppressing the Dark Side that they couldn't really help or teach any of their number who hadn't been raised to believe everything they say since birth.

I don't think it was bad advice at all. What Yoda is telling Anakin is not to fear death, because death is a natural part of life. This is exactly what we have been talking about. Death is the yin to life's yang, and despite it being "bad" it is a necessary part of the balance of the universe. What we see in that scene is just a necessarily abbreviated form of the counsel Anakin has been being given all his Jedi life. He has been being helped to work through his possessiveness; it's an essential part of Jedi training that has worked for almost every single other Jedi for at least a thousand years. The problem is that Anakin was taken in by the Jedi when he was too old and had already formed strong attachments. There's nothing the Jedi could have said to him that could have prevented his turn, other than "Yes, we will help you conquer death and save Padme." What Anakin craves is something "unnatural", something only the Sith and not the Jedi can promise him.

The Jedi's only failure is in not following their teachings themselves and showing Anakin by example that the Jedi way is possible and leads to life-affirming results. If Mace had chosen to stay true to his beliefs and spared Sidious despite the risks, rather than succumb to his hatred and fear of the Sith and the threat they posed to his attachments (the Jedi Order, the Republic), then the scene in the Chancellor's office may have gone very differently. We can see the profound effect such a display of mercy and conviction has on Darth Vader in ROTJ. But as it happened, Mace's actions gave a wavering Anakin just the push he needed to side with the Sith.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
But Yoda even says that Anakin shouldn't miss her. That's a very natural, human emotion that not even a totally zen-like person would be able to entirely achieve. Which is why I say that scene is an example of how they did themselves no favors in training Anakin to be able to make the right choice without having everything subverted for the Dark Side for over twenty years.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Something new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwxeE3jIt5A

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Beeez posted:

But Yoda even says that Anakin shouldn't miss her. That's a very natural, human emotion that not even a totally zen-like person would be able to entirely achieve. Which is why I say that scene is an example of how they did themselves no favors in training Anakin to be able to make the right choice without having everything subverted for the Dark Side for over twenty years.

He's promoting that as a goal to aspire to. It's no different than what religion has been saying for millennia: When your loved ones die they go somewhere better, and this is something that should be celebrated. He never tells Anakin he's not allowed to cry even once or else it makes him a bad person, or anything ridiculous like that. This is clearly not the case, as we see in Episode I that the Jedi hold funerals for each other and quite clearly experience feelings of loss and sadness at them, Yoda included. You're reading something into the scene that just isn't there, IMO.

What you have to keep in mind is the context of the scene: No one has actually died. Anakin is being troubled by premonitions of the future; free-floating anxieties about death. Yoda isn't comforting Anakin in the wake of the loss of a loved one, but merely trying to remind him of his teachings and guide him into a mindset where these anxieties won't trouble him so much and lead him down the dark path of self-fulfilling prophecy (which of course happens anyway despite Yoda's best efforts). Telling Anakin that it's okay to feel sad about someone dying wouldn't have helped one iota. The problem isn't that someone close to him has died and that Anakin is hurting and needs to be comforted; the problem is that Anakin is desperately afraid that someone will die--all because of a nightmare he had--and that he is pathologically averse to allowing this to happen under literally any circumstances.

Again, keeping the context of the scene in mind, do you really think Yoda essentially saying to him, "Yes, Padme might die. But don't worry; if she does, it's okay for you to miss her after she passes" would have been more helpful? No. That doesn't address Anakin's core problem in the slightest. What Yoda is saying is to stop fixating on death so much because it's not that bad a thing, and if you keep this in mind you'll stop having these anxiety-induced premonitions. And this advice proves to have been sound, as it turns out that Padme was never going to die originally, and it was only because Anakin lived in such constant and neurotic fear of ever losing her that that future ever came to pass in the first place.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 21, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Anakin spent his whole life getting owned. Born a slave, unhappy in the Jedi order, accidentally kills his wife, his best friend cut's his limbs off and lets him burn, stuck in a giant mechanical suit taking orders from some rear end in a top hat and dies far too young.

What a waste.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's interesting to compare different dubs. Quebec french vs France french.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHbi0k5diak

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's interesting to compare different dubs. Quebec french vs France french.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHbi0k5diak

Funny how it goes, I can't take Parisian Palpatine seriously at all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Funny how it goes, I can't take Parisian Palpatine seriously at all.

The Quebec Palpatine is Yves Corbeil, who's been hosting our version of Wheel of Fortune for decades and has something like 250+ voice-over roles in various Quebec dubs.

He's also Palpatine's voice in our version of the Clone Wars cartoon.

Edit: Sheev Corbeil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This is a rad replica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InQV1Kx8Dpg

• Locked thread