Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm reasonably certain the only people who buy Sherri's Berries are people with business expense accounts and spouses/children/siblings who literally can't be bothered to think of something slightly more original or useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cowslips Warren posted:

My brother and I are about 15 months apart, so as a kid, we each would get a little dollar store something when the other had a birthday. Mom called it the Big Sister/Baby Brother gift or something. And we did this until I was about 8 or so and old enough to grasp the idea of 'you don't get a present all the time.'

I did the same with my nieces and nephews. Always made sure to wrap it too, because unwrapping it is important.

My stepnephew turned 9 last year, and his half-brother was born a few months after his birthday. Now normally I would hold off, the kid's 9, I got him some Lego Dimensions poo poo for his birthday (dollar store. WTF were brand new Legos doing there, but I bought about thirty sets. EVERYONE GETS LEGOS THIS YEAR. Needless to say my dad told me not to spend that much again. I checked a local store, that poo poo sells for $10-15 a set.) buuut....it was his stepmom's first baby so everyone was piling on the gifts. So I sent my stepnephew a stuffed pirate Minion doll. I got a very nice thank you note from my stepbrother's wife, thanking me for her baby's blankets and general stuff, and for Jason's Minion, because the kid flipped out over his "You're my big brother, and this is for you because I might cry a lot!" baby brother's present, and still sleeps with it a year later.

Actual content: every Mother's Day I hear so much ads about Sherry's Berries, and every loving radio station slings the ads. I even heard them on an AM station once; the dj went from screaming about Obama still controlling the White House in secret to explaining how, if you love your mom, berries are better than flowers! I wonder how much business the place does in AZ though, because I usually forget and will check out the deal, only to see an additional $15 "cooling fee" added for our state. They never mention that poo poo in the ads of course. Then again, working in transport, I always assumed food delivery had refridge units.

They do have refrigerator units but they probably ship through ground packaging. My old job was at a popcorn place and during the summer you could pay extra to get ice packs included in the package and even more to have it ship in a cooler. I think if you didn't pay the extra it just shipped in the regular cardboard box and your had to hope the chocolate wasn't a melted mess on arrival.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

It's a pocket post dude, relax.

Or maybe a kitty... :3:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
that's still not even the worst filet-o-fish commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csrPT9ClVUc

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

that's still not even the worst filet-o-fish commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csrPT9ClVUc

You mean best

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPdtF363WDU

This makes me want to vomit

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

does chick-fil-a still hate-the-gays and proudly donate to known anti-LGB charities as well as making very clear they hate anyone not in A Good Christian Marriage?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

stringball posted:

does chick-fil-a still hate-the-gays and proudly donate to known anti-LGB charities as well as making very clear they hate anyone not in A Good Christian Marriage?

Chick-fil-a never did. A few of the people at the top of the business did with their own money (that they earned working at chic-fil-a) which is where the controversy comes from, but chic-fil-a is a franchise so 99% of your money goes to paying the local employees wages and the franchise owner's profits, and only pennies or fractions of pennies end up going to those corporate guys.

And if you don't want any of your money to be used by people to buy stuff you disagree with, you better hoard all your money and never buy anything because that's not really how capitalism works. Its just most of the time you don't know about it.

But anyways, yeah this is super cheesy, painful levels of cheese.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Keep in mind also their founder also complained about divorcees so at least he was consistent with his intolerance.

He's dead now and his sons have been distancing the company from those viewpoints and even donating to some LGBT causes.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Still closed Sundays, though.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Double Punctuation posted:

Still closed Sundays, though.

Discount Tire is closed Sundays too. Are the founders/owners religious?

It's so drat dumb because people need tires all the time. And I have never seen a slow Discount Tire.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Discount Tire is closed Sundays too. Are the founders/owners religious?

It's so drat dumb because people need tires all the time. And I have never seen a slow Discount Tire.

I honestly don't know how so many people need tires that Discount Tire is always packed. Like, I need a new tire very infrequently, but Discount Tire is literally one hundred percent always busy as hell no matter what time it I've been in it, it's absolutely mind boggling.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This last week, it was cheaper to order tyres over the Internet, pay $52 for shipping, and personally carry them to the dealership (where I need work done anyway) than it was to buy/install them anywhere else, by $140–$220.

I don’t get it, either. :shrug:

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 03:04 on May 21, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Free rotations so you have new tires and old tires being worked on.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

I honestly don't know how so many people need tires that Discount Tire is always packed. Like, I need a new tire very infrequently, but Discount Tire is literally one hundred percent always busy as hell no matter what time it I've been in it, it's absolutely mind boggling.

There are hundreds of millions of cars in America, each one with 4 tires. Are you really shocked that a tire repair/replacement business is busy?

Thousands of people get flat tires literally every day.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

WampaLord posted:

There are hundreds of millions of cars in America, each one with 4 tires. Are you really shocked that a tire repair/replacement business is busy?

Thousands of people get flat tires literally every day.

But there are also like a lot of discount tires around as well as other different stores that sell tires. There are hundreds of millions of cars and thousands get flats every day, but all those cars are spread out across a massive geographic area.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Let’s estimate two thirds of people drive and each of them needs a set of tyres every five years. New cars come with a perfectly good set of tyres, but let’s be generous.

A city of a million people, then, goes through 133 333 sets annually, or 1500 on a typical day.

I checked my city’s phone book, and we have about 60 tyre dealers per million people. There are many more pages of car service listings, of course.

If everyone buys their own tyres and does so from one of the dealers in the phone book, each tyre dealer does 25 sales per day. One customer walks through the door every twenty minutes.

That doesn’t sound very busy.

I suspect what’s really going on is simple mathematics. It’s like the metro: when it’s nearly empty, few people are around to witness it. Of course you’re more likely to see a full shop than an empty one. When the shop is full, it has more customers, and you’re just another customer.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Platystemon posted:

If everyone buys their own tyres and does so from one of the dealers in the phone book, each tyre dealer does 25 sales per day. One customer walks through the door every twenty minutes.

That doesn’t sound very busy.

Considering every tire change is a fairly lengthy process, I think that does qualify as very busy, That basically ensures the shop would never be empty.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WampaLord posted:

Considering every tire change is a fairly lengthy process, I think that does qualify as very busy, That basically ensures the shop would never be empty.

Yeah it’ll keep technicians busy, but ”always packed“ suggests there are quite number of people milling about. 25 in a day isn’t much for that.

There’s also the issue that there are another fifty listings for new car dealers and over three hundred for general car service & repair (again, per million). Many of those do brisk business in tyres.

I still think the major factor is that the customers aren’t uniformly distributed. There are busy shops and busy hours and you’re sampling as a random customer, not a random shop/time.

Not operating on Sunday does seem like a curious business move. That’s fully half of the time that many people are able to take their car in.

Dumb marketing: I grabbed the other phone book and it’s useless because there are so many ads I can’t browse the listings. I’m tossing that one out. It’s clearly the first time I’ve ever opened that book, too.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:07 on May 21, 2017

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Yeah it’ll keep technicians busy, but ”always packed“ suggests there are quite number of people milling about. 25 in a day isn’t much for that.

There’s also the issue that there are another fifty listings for new car dealers and over three hundred for general car service & repair (again, per million). Many of those do brisk business in tyres.

I still think the major factor is that the customers aren’t uniformly distributed. There are busy shops and busy hours and you’re sampling as a random customer, not a random shop/time.

Not operating on Sunday does seem like a curious business move. That’s fully half of the time that many people are able to take their car in.

Dumb marketing: I grabbed the other phone book and it’s useless because there are so many ads I can’t browse the listings. I’m tossing that one out. It’s clearly the first time I’ve ever opened that book, too.

I visit Discount Tires over a range of about 8 cities and 200 miles. Every one has at least 4-10 people in the lobby, not all from the same group, and many people leave their cars there and go shopping nearby.

I don't know if something is going on with DTire and their employees, because after Good Friday when all the stores were closed for 3 hours mid-day, and then again closed for some employee day on a Saturday, all day, I'm seeing Now Hiring signs at most of the stores. Wages between 9-10 an hour? That seems pretty loving low to me.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Google turned up this

http://www.salguod.net/weblog/archive/2008/03/discount-tire.shtml

quote:

I realized yesterday (Good Friday) around noon that I had a tire going flat. I drove to my vendor, Discount Tire, to get it checked. As I pulled up I was a bit nervous seeing all the bay doors closed. I pulled up to the door and saw a sign stating they would be closed between 12:00 and 3:00 in respect of Christ's anguish and death on the cross.

As a non-American, :psyduck:

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
FWIW the Tirecraft I work at is closed on Sundays (with an after hours callout available for emergencies or rich oil company types) but that's because I live in a dumpster fire of a slowly dying oil town with 60% vacancy on businesses at the moment. And yeah "busy" could mean 1 job after another steady all day or absolutely jam packed with both bays and the tractor trailer overhang going nonstop.
Your average flat repair is 15 minutes, a change of tires goes from 15-45 minutes depending on how many people are available to work on it and how fancy and/or difficult the rim is to work on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s weird even for America. Even the KEEP GOD IN OUR SCHOOLS, Earth was created in October of 4004 B.C., “won’t serve no homos”, or doctor murdering types generally aren’t that observant.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

All tire places are closed Sundays for some reason. I got on a flat on a Sunday once and the only place I could get it fixed was at a Wal-Mart.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

As a non-American. meh. In my country stores are closed on sundays and all (christian) religious holidays, including good friday.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes but that is because of labor laws and not because store owners give a poo poo about religion.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Phlegmish posted:

Yes but that is because of labor laws and not because store owners give a poo poo about religion.

Parts of Germany and parts of the Netherlands still do it because of religious reasons.
Fun fact, there's a bible belt in Holland.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Knormal posted:

All tire places are closed Sundays for some reason. I got on a flat on a Sunday once and the only place I could get it fixed was at a Wal-Mart.

At least in my area the same goes for car dealerships. I work 60+ hours a week M-F and usually have busy Saturdays and im sure tons of other people do. Why would you close a consumer business on Sunday - the day when the most people are off / have little to do

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
If these places started opening up normal hours on sundays, I 100% assure that wherever you work would start wanting you to do the same.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

We had a Firestone that was the only Firestone in town closed on Sundays, because of some obscure rule of the shopping center they leased from. They're out of business entirely now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I like Discount Tire because they've always pretty honest with me. They've had multiple chances to rip me off and haven't taken the opportunity. Express Oil Change is another place that seems unusually honest. You see the same employees there year after year and it's tough keeping good workers if your business rips people off regularly.

Primetime posted:

At least in my area the same goes for car dealerships. I work 60+ hours a week M-F and usually have busy Saturdays and im sure tons of other people do. Why would you close a consumer business on Sunday - the day when the most people are off / have little to do

Sundays are still pretty slow retail wise. Like most stores close at 6pm. So if you're already losing 3 hours in the morning because of church and 3 hours in the evening because of whatever - it makes less sense to go through the trouble of opening for those 6 hours in the middle. Easier to take the day off and make scheduling and staffing much easier.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

(that they earned working at chic-fil-a)

"earned" and "working" are both kinda stretches when talking about executives

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

I like Discount Tire because they've always pretty honest with me. They've had multiple chances to rip me off and haven't taken the opportunity. Express Oil Change is another place that seems unusually honest. You see the same employees there year after year and it's tough keeping good workers if your business rips people off regularly.

Sundays are still pretty slow retail wise. Like most stores close at 6pm. So if you're already losing 3 hours in the morning because of church and 3 hours in the evening because of whatever - it makes less sense to go through the trouble of opening for those 6 hours in the middle. Easier to take the day off and make scheduling and staffing much easier.

To a degree, yes. But tires break all the loving time. You always need a repair place open. Big O Tires and the oil change places suck up all of the Sunday poo poo.

Brakemasters is closed on Sundays here. So if I need a car repair asap on a Sunday, it's to Brakes Plus or Firestone. They rake it in.

I'm not saying they need to be 24/7 but being open at least 10am till 6pm would help a lot of people and make them some money.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think people are underestimating the amount of people who will drive around for a month on a donut or top off a tire with air every other day for a puncture that's most sealed around the foreign object. Zooming directly to the shop in case of flat is just not a thing in my family or social circle.

And they generally get around limited weekend hours by having a workday shuttle, which is one employee at minimum wage instead of the better paid techs either pulling overtime or schedule differential for working a weekend.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OutsideAngel posted:

"earned" and "working" are both kinda stretches when talking about executives

Lol, fair. "reaped" ?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Non Serviam posted:

Parts of Germany and parts of the Netherlands still do it because of religious reasons.

I bet the belt is nowhere near as big though :btroll: :patriot:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

There are plenty of reasons to be closed on Sundays and religious holidays, but it sounds like that Discount Tire guy genuinely thinks he'll one day stand at the Pearly Gates and have to answer for making his national retail chain employees work during the three hours that Jesus was on the cross (as adjusted for calendar changes and time zones, of course).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Non Serviam posted:

Sabbatarianism used to be huge in much of Scotland and still is in some of the more Wickermanish parts. Not just going to work, but playing games, or doing household chores would be considered breaking the Sabbath.
A Sunday ferry service to the Isle of Lewis was controversial when introduced in 2009.