Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Killing Nazi collaborators is fine with me.

The man didn’t deserve to die but his blood is on his wife’s hands for lying for so long in an attempt to save her own skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Why didn't they just search for, or make that woman show younger photos of herself? :bang: She could've just as well come off completely innocent if she didn't implicate herself (poorly).

Also, nobody in USSR drove a loving Trabant. That piece of crap wasn't even good enough to be exported to Russia.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 18, 2017

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I didn't quite understand what was going on with the Nazi woman. Before her husband joins them, she agrees to confess but strangely doesn't seem to remember how to pronounce her old name or any details about the executions. Philips looks all sceptical about it being her at this point. Then her husband joins and she suddenly remembers everything and it's a totally different mood.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I didn't quite understand what was going on with the Nazi woman. Before her husband joins them, she agrees to confess but strangely doesn't seem to remember how to pronounce her old name or any details about the executions. Philips looks all sceptical about it being her at this point. Then her husband joins and she suddenly remembers everything and it's a totally different mood.

she was willing to risk them shooting her, once she realized they'd kill her husband too she quit dicking around

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
She initially tried for a fake fake confession.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

pigdog posted:

Why didn't they just search for, or make that woman show younger photos of herself? :bang: She could've just as well come off completely innocent if she didn't implicate herself (poorly).

Also, nobody in USSR drove a loving Trabant. That piece of crap wasn't even good enough to be exported to Russia.

Like BIG HEADLINE said previously, I don't think she was getting out of that alive no matter what.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

phosdex posted:

Like BIG HEADLINE said previously, I don't think she was getting out of that alive no matter what.

No, as soon as they rolled up and pulled a gun on her, her fate was sealed; they couldn't take any chance whatsoever of leaving direct witnesses behind. They only reason they bothered talking to her was to try to salve their own consciences by demonstrating that she was actually guilty.

She didn't ever regurgitate any information that they didn't give her, so I'm still undecided about her actual identity.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TheCenturion posted:

No, as soon as they rolled up and pulled a gun on her, her fate was sealed; they couldn't take any chance whatsoever of leaving direct witnesses behind. They only reason they bothered talking to her was to try to salve their own consciences by demonstrating that she was actually guilty.

She didn't ever regurgitate any information that they didn't give her, so I'm still undecided about her actual identity.

Now it's just a matter of Claudia going "Oh hey, turns out that woman never existed/wasn't her and I was just testing to see if you guys were still ~up to snuff~, literally. News flash...I'm not Gabriel."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TheCenturion posted:

I'm also wondering about this. Before her husband showed up, all she said was that she killed people and just parroted back what Phillip and Elizabeth said. Then when her Husband gets there, she tells a story about nazis getting her really drunk and how she killed soviet people. She didn't even give any information on who her parents were or anything else that could identify her. She just accepts she is going to die and tells a story that sounds like what they want to hear. I don't think she was who the center claimed she was.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Now it's just a matter of Claudia going "Oh hey, turns out that woman never existed/wasn't her and I was just testing to see if you guys were still ~up to snuff~, literally. News flash...I'm not Gabriel."

Character Actress Margo Martindale doesn't gently caress around

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TheCenturion posted:

Cojawfee posted:

I'm also wondering about this. Before her husband showed up, all she said was that she killed people and just parroted back what Phillip and Elizabeth said. Then when her Husband gets there, she tells a story about nazis getting her really drunk and how she killed soviet people. She didn't even give any information on who her parents were or anything else that could identify her. She just accepts she is going to die and tells a story that sounds like what they want to hear. I don't think she was who the center claimed she was.

She was who the center thought she was. Unless she turned into a great actress when her husband arrived despite being a wreck before that. She spilled the beans and then got :commissar:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

Character Actress Margo Martindale doesn't gently caress around

And it's not like she hasn't tested them before when their loyalty and/or competence was in question.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

phosdex posted:

I think I'm going to be pretty mad if this comes down to that kind of Philip vs Elizabeth.

Hasn't it always been this in some form or another? Early Season One Phillip ACTIVELY wants to defect, and Elizabeth toed the party line. Their positions have waxed and waned throughout the seasons, but it still seems that on a base level Phillip is more and more in love with the idea of America and that dream while Elizabeth is constantly having to remind herself that she's fighting for the cause and slowly destroys pieces of herself in order to do what needs to be done (the lady from the mail robot factory, her Korean friend, the bug guy, and now the ex-Nazi (potentially forced) collaborator. I saw that wedding Phillip spun up as an attempt to unite them in the hopes that their feelings for each other would overcome Elizabeth's desire to keep doing stuff that will inevitably turn them into irreparably damaged human beings as if they are not already and she'd be into walking away from it all with him.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

They've always had that dynamic. I guess I'm wanting a happy ending for them whatever that means and not a "one kills the other to get their way."

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Elizabeth Did Nothing Wrong

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

maskenfreiheit posted:

Did you see how she walked straight into Phillip's field of fire when she was getting a glass of water for the woman? Cherry mistake, should have gotten them both killed.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

Did you see how she walked straight into Phillip's field of fire when she was getting a glass of water for the woman? Cherry mistake, should have gotten them both killed.

Ever since learning proper trigger discipline I can't unsee it in any TV show or movie - both were practicing proper discipline. I doubt the old lady was armed or could move very fast.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ever since learning proper trigger discipline I can't unsee it in any TV show or movie - both were practicing proper discipline. I doubt the old lady was armed or could move very fast.

Nope. You never block the field of fire. All it takes is the old lady shoving E into P, maybe hubby carries a gun, maybe somebody picks up a knife. They can't explain away a knife or gunshot wound to kids and coworkers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TheCenturion posted:

They can't explain away a knife or gunshot wound to kids and coworkers.

That's what a trip to the sick aunt in Pennsylvania is for.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

howe_sam posted:

That's what a trip to the sick aunt in Pennsylvania is for.

There are bold spies, and there are old spies, but there are few old, bold spies.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If anything, the one thing that jives with Pastor Tim's thoughts about them being monsters is that Liz only half-shared her rape story. She left out the part about how it was her 'spy teacher' that did it, because she's more dedicated to making Paige exactly like her than protecting her as her mother, and letting her know that "their side" raped her for education and *fun's* sake might (shocker) turn her off to the idea of following in her footsteps and ~serving the state~.

That's why I don't think things are going to end well for Phil and Liz, because while I think Phil really likes being a father and laments not being able to be a better one because of his own father/son experience, I think Liz is partly resentful that she's still not able to unwind by smoking weed and screwing Gregory because she's gotta be the Great American Soccer Mom while Phil gets to go to EST to help with *his* demons and gets to have a beer with Stan while she has no friends who aren't marks.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 20, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if the show ends up with Philip vs. Liz as its central conflict... I'll be very disappointed.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Oh hey, a musical interlude in The Americans that uses a Soviet song for once! Nice use of Журавли between all the flight imagery in the scene itself and the episode subject overall. I'm kind of sad that they didn't somehow move this episode up to the 9th, but that would have been maybe beating the ~*symbolism*~ drum a bit too hard.

That said, historical significance aside, the original version reminds me how terrible of genre crooning is even if it's the only appropriate choice given the whole period drama thing. NEEDS MORE TRIP HOP.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

maskenfreiheit posted:

who thinks stan is going to bang the new soviet source

I've decided you're talking about Henry here, not the new girl.

And, yes.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

precision posted:

if the show ends up with Philip vs. Liz as its central conflict... I'll be very disappointed.

Seems so. Philip seems like he wants to just slip both governments and have a ghost-fam. Elizabeth wants to take them all back to Russia. I think Elizabeth's 'worst future' would be cool but there's no time to get into how it would impact them all going back after living their lives in the States.

Maybe that was the original plan, and once they shortened the story, the 'Henry adjusting to Russia arch' got given to the boy that belongs to the botanists family. Etc.. That's why there's nothing for Henry to do now.

I also think the kids have to remain in America from story crunch as the series ends.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Phillip sees past all the "we'd be just as great if the US didn't sabotage us" BS and wants to stay as an American. Plus their whole family would fall apart back in Russia. Henry would hate it, and I think Paige would too.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Philip has a job. He's patriotic and all that, but ultimately, it's his job.

Elizabeth, on the other hand, it's her identity. It's who she is. So she has to rationalize or ignore the bad, including being raped by a trainer, seeing her government lie to her repeatedly, and so on. Cognitive dissonance only goes so far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's why I think the endgame is Philip and Liz finally united against... whoever. The wedding ceremony was, I think, a pretty heavy-handed hint about that as a possibility. At some point Liz will break, orrrrr...

The show ends on each of them pointing guns at the other, Henry and Paige standing behind Philip, screen cuts to black, BANG, series over, enjoy your lack of closure!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The tragic thing is that when this show finally gets to 11/9/89 and everything that follows it, I'm sure Paige is going to be looking at the television with tears of joy in her eyes, thinking she'll be SPARED a life of being a spy, only to be contacted by the new, harsher, less-caring FSK, followed by the FSB. That was Hannsen's big gripe - when the Soviet Union fell, his relationship with the Russians evidently became less cordial and more 'businesslike.'

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

That's why I think the endgame is Philip and Liz finally united against... whoever. The wedding ceremony was, I think, a pretty heavy-handed hint about that as a possibility. At some point Liz will break, orrrrr...

The show ends on each of them pointing guns at the other, Henry and Paige standing behind Philip, screen cuts to black, BANG, series over, enjoy your lack of closure!

Murder-suicide by FBI has got my money.

Then Paige walks in and shoots Stan :ussr:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Liz and Phil get eaten by alligators after falling off a fan boat in New Orleans.

Stan raises Paige and Henry to be FBI agents.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Phil doesn't secretly go to a lawyer and have a will drawn up that omits the whole "I'm a Russian spy" thing, but states his wish that Stan be named his children's guardian in the event of his death, disappearance, or incarceration, even if Elizabeth is still alive, citing fear for their health and wellbeing.

Phil dies of questionable causes, Liz starts the wheels on exfiltrating, and just as she's about to roofie dinner to make it easier to transport the kids, *knock knock* on the door, and it's Stan with local cops and Aderholt for support.

"You'll never take *us* alive, Capitalist Pigs!"

*Henry and Paige quietly crawl out their respective windows while Liz turns over furniture*

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Phil and Liz are in a stand-off. Paige kills Liz. Liz praises Paige with her dying breath. Everybody realizes Henry just kinda wandered away at some point.

Seriously though. Liz will wind up back in Russia, or in jail. She'll claim that she'd been duping Phil the whole time to protect him. Series of time skips showing things like the fall of the Berlin Wall, perestroika, the August rebellion, etc etc. finally, twenty years later, she'll be reunited with Phil and the kids.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Phil claims HIV, quitting. Elizabeth goes home. The kids get normal lives.

Henry joins the FBI, bonds with Phil through Phil's mysteriously canny guidance.

Phil & Stan stay bros.

Henry has two dads

:unsmith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Phil claims HIV, quitting. Elizabeth goes home. The kids get normal lives.

Henry joins the FBI, bonds with Phil through Phil's mysteriously canny guidance.

Phil & Stan stay bros.

Henry has two dads

:unsmith:

Paige becomes a neurotic Vatican nun who whips herself daily to drive out the desire to ever get close to another human being sexually because sex is the little-death and mind killer that brings total obliteration. :bahgawd:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Alternatively, Phil gets a job as a mime at the Pentagon, and Liz gets a job as a mime at Mount Weather.

Stan gets promoted to FBI Director and hires Henry to be his assistant. Paige is sucked into a plasma vortex.

Oleg kills Gorbachev with a railgun and gets promoted to God-Emperor of the USSR in 1993.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gonz posted:

Oleg kills Gorbachev with a railgun and gets promoted to God-Emperor of the USSR in 1993.

The Soviet National Anthem is remixed into disco, and Barry Gibb outs himself as a Soviet agent.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Nice of Time Magazine to make the season 6 poster:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

That's a pretty cool cover.

• Locked thread