Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It wasn't a great episode but I love the premise of one of the BTAS episodes where Joker in disguise bombs at open mic night and swears revenge. "I'm funny! :saddowns:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lurdiak posted:

It wasn't a great episode but I love the premise of one of the BTAS episodes where Joker in disguise bombs at open mic night and swears revenge. "I'm funny! :saddowns:"

I wanted to see more Condiment King! :(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

VolticSurge posted:

And then,knowing how edgy DC Comics are, Joker probably wound up killing that guy anyway.

Actually that guy went on to have a career of watching cars for super villains.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Man, those Countdown panels have some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Longbaugh01 posted:

Man, those Countdown panels have some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen.

Now that's funny!

You're right, it's truly dire. Jaw droppingly abominable.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I just want to say that, after reading Dark Knight Returns, I'm not really interested in a animated adaptation any longer. I feel like TDKR's greatest strength was the fact it was a comic. A significant part of the story is just talking heads and random scenes of the madhouse that is Gotham City. I can't imagine how you would adapt any of this well. I know that's what some people say about Watchmen too but I dunno. I have Watchmen but I haven't, uh, watched it yet.

But it still feels like a lot more happens in Watchmen than TDKR so you could more easily adapt it. Plus I simply have more faith in David Hayter and Zack Snyder and all the actors than I do in whoever made some DC cartoon movie.

Apparently no recent DC animated work is that well-regarded.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Justice League Dark movie is pretty enjoyable if very by the numbers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NikkolasKing posted:

So I just want to say that, after reading Dark Knight Returns, I'm not really interested in a animated adaptation any longer. I feel like TDKR's greatest strength was the fact it was a comic. A significant part of the story is just talking heads and random scenes of the madhouse that is Gotham City. I can't imagine how you would adapt any of this well. I know that's what some people say about Watchmen too but I dunno. I have Watchmen but I haven't, uh, watched it yet.

But it still feels like a lot more happens in Watchmen than TDKR so you could more easily adapt it. Plus I simply have more faith in David Hayter and Zack Snyder and all the actors than I do in whoever made some DC cartoon movie.

Apparently no recent DC animated work is that well-regarded.

Batman return of the caped crusader is awesome

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

It's sort of weird when you think about the fact that Batman has been shot at and hit by the police more often than the Joker has.

To be fair, Batman is way more dangerous than the Joker. I mean he has had countless opportunities to take the Joker down but he hasn't not to mention he's at least saved the Joker's life once

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly if you want the actual TACTICAL REALISM thing Batman should do it would be to essentially keep him in a big terrarium at the very bottom of the batcave. But he'll probably find a motherbox down there somehow because comics.

In Dark Night: A True Batman Story, Paul Dini describes his idea for Batman's endgame with the Joker in TAS. It involves Joker being confined to a brick box in the batcave with one small opening for air/food. Joker taunts Batman and his crazy laughter echoes throughout the cave, but Joker's area of effect is mostly contained.

I think "maniac on a chain who provides color commentary/exposition between scenes" would be an okay modern-day existence for Joker. Having said that, I look forward to what Tom King has up his sleeve.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Space Fish posted:

In Dark Night: A True Batman Story, Paul Dini describes his idea for Batman's endgame with the Joker in TAS. It involves Joker being confined to a brick box in the batcave with one small opening for air/food. Joker taunts Batman and his crazy laughter echoes throughout the cave, but Joker's area of effect is mostly contained.

I think "maniac on a chain who provides color commentary/exposition between scenes" would be an okay modern-day existence for Joker. Having said that, I look forward to what Tom King has up his sleeve.

That's basically what happens in Arkham Knight and it's the best the Joker has been written in years.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

purple death ray posted:

That's basically what happens in Arkham Knight and it's the best the Joker has been written in years.

It really is.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Turns out Joker is the best Robin

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

To me that makes perfect sense.

I'm a lawyer, and one thing that comes up is when Judges make jokes everyone laughs. The counsel, the cops, the people in the gallery and in particular the accused.
In part it's a combination of politeness, that you tend to be in very stuff environments and any form of levity is welcome and also that there is a bit of fear at what will happen if you don't.

It's lead to a few of the wags at the bar coin the idea that after a while every judge must think themselves the funniest person alive.

I imagine it's the same with the clown with the gas bombs and crowbars. "Everyone at work laughs at my jokes!"

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I haven't watched B:TAS since I was a kid, but I saw that it's on Prime video.

I think the easier question is to ask which episodes I should avoid. I just watched the one where Bruce loses his memory and ends up on a chain gang. I remember always liking that episode, and it still held up.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Reinanigans posted:

I think the easier question is to ask which episodes I should avoid. I just watched the one where Bruce loses his memory and ends up on a chain gang. I remember always liking that episode, and it still held up.

The only really bad episode of b:tas is probably I've Got Batman In My Basement, otherwise there's just a few episodes that aren't quite as good as the best ones.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Reinanigans posted:

The Batwing never looked better than in that episode.

Yeah, Basement sucks, I think one one with Penguin taking over the Batmobile was pretty bad, the one with the space cult was pretty lame and the terrible animation didn't help, and whatever episodes Red Claw was the villain are worth skipping.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I wouldn't skip the Red Claw episodes just because of the good Catwoman stuff in there. I love DCAU Selina but unfortunately she does get saddled with some clunkers.

Did Beyond or any of the tie in comics ever explain what happened to her?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

purple death ray posted:

I wouldn't skip the Red Claw episodes just because of the good Catwoman stuff in there. I love DCAU Selina but unfortunately she does get saddled with some clunkers.

Nope. At best Bruce just mentions her a few times but never what happened.

Honest bet is probably she got bored after he retired and moved on to something else.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Some? I don't think she ever had a good episode. Cat Scratch Fever is the most boring poo poo ever and Tyger Tyger is complete nonsense.

Reinanigans posted:

There's a couple really boring ones, but only I've Got Batman In My Basement, The Underdwellers, and Cat Scratch fever are genuinely bad to the point that I'd say skip 'em.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

There's a couple really boring ones, but only I've Got Batman In My Basement, The Underdwellers, and Cat Scratch fever are genuinely bad to the point that I'd say skip 'em.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on The Underdwellers. I've always loved that episode. If nothing else, it was the first time the series showed us Scary Angry Batman (which is worth a lot more when it's not his default state.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It felt like a loving recycled GI Joe script.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Lurdiak posted:

It felt like a loving recycled GI Joe script.

lmao I don't think I've ever agreed with you. I have vivid memories of The Underdwellers, like the boy wearing sunglasses and acting like a proto-Jason Todd. That episode was great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ah, whatever, I'll fight to the death over Cat Scratch Fever being garbage tho.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I agree with Lurdiak. The Underdwellers is a really boring episode with a lame villain.

I also don't like The Forgotten at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

purple death ray posted:

The only mention of her I remember in Beyond is after Terry goes out with a girl who turns out to be a member of the Royal Flush gang, Batman puts his arm around him and says "Let me tell you about a woman named Selina Kyle."

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Isn't Underdwellers the episode where Batman suplexes a giant alligator? If so, that's a redeeming feature right there.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Skwirl posted:

The only mention of her I remember in Beyond is after Terry goes out with a girl who turns out to be a member of the Royal Flush gang, Batman puts his arm around him and says "Let me tell you about a woman named Selina Kyle."

Man many different versions of the Royal Flush gang appeared in the DCAU? Those guys existed in the past, present, and future.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

As far as I know the Batman Beyond version was the first one, and when they introduced the "originals" in JLU it was a deliberate callback to that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhonne posted:

Man many different versions of the Royal Flush gang appeared in the DCAU? Those guys existed in the past, present, and future.

Season 1 Episode 6, which I think is the first appearance of the Royal Flush Gang in DCAU, though it's stated they've been around since Bruce Wayne was Batman, and I think they show up in Justice League Unlimited. Terry falls in love with a teenage girl who is also "Ten" in the Royal Flush Gang.

They also show up in the live action Arrow tv show, which borrows a lot of Batman villains, but I've never read a comic with them in it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I do really like the idea that there's this gang that everyone keeps stealing the name of and no one is really sure who was the first.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Royal Flush Gang is the universe's first sentient crime, reaching backward through time to ensure its own genesis in a twisting loop.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
IIRC they originally were some jobbers max lord hired for booster gold to defeat to get into the JLI

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

IIRC they originally were some jobbers max lord hired for booster gold to defeat to get into the JLI

That did happen, but they're from the late 60s originally.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 25, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

purple death ray posted:

There was one decent Red Claw episode, and it was when she kidnaps Alfred to get the code to a nuke ICBM just because it was nice to see Alfred be something other than Jeeves.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Roth posted:

I agree with Lurdiak. The Underdwellers is a really boring episode with a lame villain.

I also don't like The Forgotten at all.

Underdwellers is way better if you imagine that Dave Seville from The Chipmunks went nuts and kidnapped a bunch of kids and Batman had to take him down. For some reason, that character design always made me think of a crazy homeless version of Dave.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Perry Normal posted:

Underdwellers is way better if you imagine that Dave Seville from The Chipmunks went nuts and kidnapped a bunch of kids and Batman had to take him down. For some reason, that character design always made me think of a crazy homeless version of Dave.

This is how I will view this episode from now on in my head 👍🏾

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I just discovered batman: TAS is free with amazon prime. I was thrilled, until I started watching it. I swear it's a copy of a copy of a copy. Am I crazy? It seems like it's all blurry and muted. It's clearly off a VHS, as you can see goddamn tape skips occasionally. What the hell? Please tell me this isn't the only version that's survived. It may have been 25 years, but I know it was better than this when I first saw it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Domus posted:

I just discovered batman: TAS is free with amazon prime. I was thrilled, until I started watching it. I swear it's a copy of a copy of a copy. Am I crazy? It seems like it's all blurry and muted. It's clearly off a VHS, as you can see goddamn tape skips occasionally. What the hell? Please tell me this isn't the only version that's survived. It may have been 25 years, but I know it was better than this when I first saw it.

There's perfectly fine DVD collections which I think should still be available. Well worth the investment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Calaveron posted:

There's perfectly fine DVD collections which I think should still be available. Well worth the investment

Oh, good to know. Just...why did I pay $100 if they're going to be sub-par copies? Really, Amazon?

Domus fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 29, 2017