Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I can't tell if they didn't bother finding them or if Kevin T. Collins and company couldn't be bothered with this trash. Because its all the more loving hilarious when they were also hired on for the new films. Who the gently caress even voices the dub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

IIRC I think Collins responded to a fan on Twitter when asked about it like "uh oh, how can I break it to you guys that no one has asked me anything about the new series?"

It's interesting because I personally have a few friends who aren't crazy about anime but were like gently caress yeah new Berserk, but then said "gently caress all the voices are different, this sucks", but then again there are a bunch of people who don't care about the voices or animation and are just desperate for new Berserk so it will be interesting to see how the DVD/Blu-ray sales fare

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ccs posted:

My girlfriend animated on the How to Train Your Dragon TV series and won't watch this show because she says it looks like a first pass at animation. Like they did 30% of each shot and then just stopped trying. But I guess the quality gap between a Dreamworks show and a CG anime is pretty huge.

i mean, your girlfriend is probably right

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Crabtree posted:

I can't tell if they didn't bother finding them or if Kevin T. Collins and company couldn't be bothered with this trash. Because its all the more loving hilarious when they were also hired on for the new films. Who the gently caress even voices the dub?

The only voice I actually recognized is max mittelman as serpico and that's one of the few that actually works, because I'm inclined to like max's stuff. But yeah, the original cast worked well and it's a shame they didn't get them.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ccs posted:

My girlfriend animated on the How to Train Your Dragon TV series and won't watch this show because she says it looks like a first pass at animation. Like they did 30% of each shot and then just stopped trying. But I guess the quality gap between a Dreamworks show and a CG anime is pretty huge.

The quality gap between Berserk 2016/17 and * is pretty huge.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The budget gap between Berserk 201X and anything Dreamworks is even bigger than the quality gap, to be fair.

That said, they're about maxing out the possible quality at this point. It's just handicapped by the fact it's awful CG.

And even though Dreamworks might not look like poo poo, it doesn't have Miyuki Sawashiro so I'm giving this round to Berserk.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Crabtree posted:

Guys, I'm feeling kind of weird and out of it so I gotta ask - if the planets aligned to make it perfect, like legitimately good, how the hell would you go about making a live action Berserk movie?

don't even bother trying to do a full adaptation of the story right off the bat. set it in Black Swordsman time period. follow a group of randos who get lost in the woods and attacked by nasty poo poo. as they get slowly whittled away, they come across a big motherfucker with one eye, a metal hand, and a huge sword, and if you've seen AvP: Requiem, it sorta goes like that with Guts vs. nasty poo poo with randos caught in between (and it ends very messily for the randos). end it with everyone except Guts dead as Guts rides off into the sunset (sunrise?).

don't go into detail on the events of the Golden Age, but hint at them just enough to set it up as a prequel if the movie does well, then if that does well you can move into the later arcs. cast Tom Hardy as Guts, hand the director chair to Jason Eisener or Neil Marshall (Centurion was loving awesome).

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I really liked Griffith's dub VA in the original anime, he came across as super theatrical and fairy-tale princelike, which kinda fits in what he's trying to do now with his paradise. I think he actually was a Broadway actor, or at least something of that level? Can't remember.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Schubalts posted:

The quality gap between Berserk 2016/17 and * is pretty huge.

Knights of Sidonia. :troll:

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
There is no alignment of the planets to make a Berserk live action movie work without it being a CG fuckfest and if that's what it's going to be you might as well shoot everything live then animate it with rotoscope it like the 2006 A Scanner Darkly.

The Misty Valley/Lost Children and the Black Swordsman are the only arcs that could stand alone as a film without massive changes to the source material and Misty Valley would most likely work better given its structure.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The budget gap between Berserk 201X and anything Dreamworks is even bigger than the quality gap, to be fair.

That said, they're about maxing out the possible quality at this point. It's just handicapped by the fact it's awful CG.

And even though Dreamworks might not look like poo poo, it doesn't have Miyuki Sawashiro so I'm giving this round to Berserk.
Though to be fairer the only reason the budget is so low is because anime studios are really lovely about monetizing the actual show being made instead of the tie-in merchandise, and they're even worse at making money outside of Japan even though there is a huge market for it. So this is the anime industry's own fault.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Regulus74 posted:

There is no alignment of the planets to make a Berserk live action movie work without it being a CG fuckfest and if that's what it's going to be you might as well shoot everything live then animate it with rotoscope it like the 2006 A Scanner Darkly.

The Misty Valley/Lost Children and the Black Swordsman are the only arcs that could stand alone as a film without massive changes to the source material and Misty Valley would most likely work better given its structure.

gently caress that, I don't care if they have to bring back ye old animatronic puppet fights and stop motion animation from the 70s-90s to make sure the actors actually look like they know what they're actually fighting or reacting to, pulling off some super expensive return to the old ways like Fury Road, but I'm not star warsing up anything guts does. I'll bathe the entire cast in fake blood and take a group picture of the whole crew, I'll personally make sure Zodd is a fully articulate 9-10 foot tall robot that can bleed and release steam as it comes in from the transformation shots or heals its arm back into place, but CGI will only touch up rough edges or be in full effect for something like the Eclipse as something that is supposed to be unnatural and alien -- and even that's going to make sure there's sets and puppet for the actors to follow and actually act in.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I GUESS Lost Children could work for a mainstream audience if they put Rosine in clothes, and even if they include Guts killing all the kids maybe make slightly less...explicit? Like don't have the flesh sacs he slices open to douse the fire be what the kids are in?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I know what you want to see and I agree. Sad to think that Berserk came twenty years too late to have a chance of being seen in any such form.

Unfortunately, the source material is deep and dense, which means it probably only had a two year window of opportunity to be touched in a western context. There's no happy ending, so it's too complex for American audiences. The comedy serves as an interlude only, which isn't enough for the British. The swordplay often lacks honor, so no one wants to make it a "tortured samurai" series. The sex is mostly nonconsensual, so no one wants to touch the Griffith-Guts-Casca tryst.

Look at this channel, people don't want to see the Eclipse. They think Lost Children is about a vagina. They think Black Swordsman has a strange ending. They wouldn't want to see Devil Dogs doing their thing, let alone poor Apostle Wyald. But think about the poo poo they do watch. It's all there, but the pieces are separated widely to prevent over saturation.

We need a seriously dark phase in Hollywood or elsewhere​ before there's a chance of seeing anything worthwhile, and people don't want that. They are entitled to their uplifting crap dammit and it better have butter and foam and taste like NSAIDs and be perfect or they'll cry.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hollywood makes plenty of movies as dark or even darker than Berserk. Alien Covenant just came out in theaters the other day, for instance, and that's even just going by a pretty shallow definition of "dark" where it's just "lots of bad, graphic things happen and there's not much hope."

I like Berserk well enough but people always talk it up as if it isn't just a typical fantasy series with really good art.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alien Covenant does indeed convey the hopelessness of the eclipse.

By existing in the first place.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like Berserk well enough but people always talk it up as if it isn't just a typical fantasy series with really good art.
Berserk is subversive throughout. You must not be reading it or retarded.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

People don't think Wyald is bad because he's too dark. People think it's bad because it crosses a line into ridiculous. It is farcical on the same level as 90s comic books. A band of brigands who rape and pillage their way across the land portrayed in a starkly realistic way would be really dark and provide plenty of story potential. Sure make their leader the second demon encountered, makes enough sense for introducing the supernatural. Then it missteps badly by making Wyald comically hilariously over the top. Every third word out of his mouth is about rape, I cannot take him seriously. He's a sketch comedy show's take on a rapist, and this just ejects me from the story entirely.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Last Celebration posted:

Wait, didn't it come up that Guts was in the Hawks a few chapters ago, just not that he was their subcommander?
Right you are. In 345, they're sharing stories with the elves when Gedfryn asks what lust drove the Falcon of Light to transform the world, Guts reveals that they were comrades "back in the mercenary days", Isidro asks if the Falcon of Light is the White Hawk / hero of Midland, and Serpico says that he is. Isidro then asks Guts if he knew the great hundred-man slayer of the Band of the Hawk, but there are no panels of everyone else laughing. Based on how cool Serpico is playing things, I contend it seems likely he knows, or at least grants it a very good chance that Guts and the 100-man are the same.

Other than the run-in with Owen, in 244 they enter Vritannis and Serpico is running through the coats of arms. As they observe a recruiter, Serpico says he remembers a charismatic leader, Sir Griffith and the Band of the Hawk. Farnese only reflects that she's heard Guts say that name before, but Isidro says the Band of the Hawk Raider's Captain was very strong, took down a thousand men and the rhino soldiers single-handedly. When Isidro asks what mercenary band he was with, Guts says he doesn't remember.

Serpico is probably smart enough to remember Guts skipping out on the answer at Vritannis, so the chat with the elves has probably confirmed any suspicions he had. The others probably think the Hawks dissolved like any normal band of mercenaries would after a war, and probably have no reason to suspect that the Falcon of Light won his position by betrayal and rape and revenge.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

temple posted:

Berserk is subversive throughout. You must not be reading it or retarded.

I read it just fine, Temple. You can tell from how I don't spend half my posts in the thread on Griffith apologia.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

People don't think Wyald is bad because he's too dark. People think it's bad because it crosses a line into ridiculous. It is farcical on the same level as 90s comic books. A band of brigands who rape and pillage their way across the land portrayed in a starkly realistic way would be really dark and provide plenty of story potential. Sure make their leader the second demon encountered, makes enough sense for introducing the supernatural. Then it missteps badly by making Wyald comically hilariously over the top. Every third word out of his mouth is about rape, I cannot take him seriously. He's a sketch comedy show's take on a rapist, and this just ejects me from the story entirely.

Exactly. Berserk's at its best when it's about people's relationships and when the violence springs from those relationships going wrong, like the legendary slap or the way Zodd physically embodies Guts' doubts about Griffith. The further away it gets from that the more it gets, as you say, farcical -- which isn't always a strictly bad thing; my favorite panel in the manga is one of these farcical moments -- but isn't a good look when you're talking about sexual violence or when the story is trying to be serious about what's at stake.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

or the way Zodd physically embodies Guts' doubts about Griffith.

I didn't get this at all. I mean in the sense that Griffith's story everyone was caught up in was really just a small part of the tapestry maybe?

The cat looks so happy in that panel :syoon:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

genericnick posted:

I didn't get this at all. I mean in the sense that Griffith's story everyone was caught up in was really just a small part of the tapestry maybe?

The cat looks so happy in that panel :syoon:
I think he means that Zodd is the Griffith's mirror in deathdealing, particularly to soldiers on the battlefield. But Zodd, Guts, and Griffith are all similar so the point isn't really about Griffith, it's about Guts realizing his purpose on the battlefield then and all the years prior. They all slaughter people. Griffith does it for power, Guts does it to escape, Zodd does it out of duty or obligation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

genericnick posted:

Each time Zodd appears it precedes a shift in Guts' and Griffith's relationship for the worse. After the first time they fight him Zodd warns Guts that he'll die if Griffith's dream is destroyed, and right after that is the conspiracy arc where Griffith puts Guts in a situation where he murders a child. Zodd shows up at Doldrey to save Guts' life and enable them to win the battle, and the celebration of that victory is where Guts realizes he's Griffith's valued tool but not his friend. Then finally he shows up to save Griffith from Wyald, which of course leads to the Eclipse and everything that goes with it.

Post-Eclipse he shifts to being Griffith's surrogate for Guts in his new Band of the Hawk Falcon, and even then Zodd is the one who destroys the cave that was sheltering Casca from the full effects of the brand, forcing Guts to reconsider his focus on revenge and shift to helping Casca recover instead.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

temple posted:

I think he means that Zodd is the Griffith's mirror in deathdealing, particularly to soldiers on the battlefield. But Zodd, Guts, and Griffith are all similar so the point isn't really about Griffith, it's about Guts realizing his purpose on the battlefield then and all the years prior. They all slaughter people. Griffith does it for power, Guts does it to escape, Zodd does it out of duty or obligation.

Zodd and Guts are mirrors of each other, but not of Griffith, at least not at the point in the story we're talking about right now. I think they also don't fight out of duty so much as sheer animal loyalty, or subservience to a power that has bested them -- both Guts and Zodd were won over to Griffith's side after he defeated them in single combat. Guts wasn't content with this position once he understood it, whereas Zodd understands it but accepts it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Zodd serves Griffith because he's in the Godhand. Zodd served them before Griffith showed up. Zodd is a butcher. He doesn't take joy into it anymore, a monkey paw effect. Even when Guts and Griffith gave him biggest thrill in years, he still decided to kill them because that's what he does. The only reason he didn't was because of the behilit. Zodd had more doubt in Griffith which is why Griffith fought him. The one strike confrontation confirmed that Griffith was who the Godhand foretold, instead of some loyalty of sorts. Griffith was the master Zodd was promised.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Latest episode: I would hate to be kissed by a bunch of troll innards, personally.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd let Slan/troll guts do anything to me if she sounded like Miyuki Sawashiro. And she does.

And as I'm contractually obligated to myself to gush about her whenever an opportunity arises, I will do just that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The voice almost won me over, it's true.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Berzerk has the whole cosmic horror thing going on with the Cenobites(godhand) too, so I wouldn't say its strictly generic dark fantasy.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Each time Zodd appears it precedes a shift in Guts' and Griffith's relationship for the worse. After the first time they fight him Zodd warns Guts that he'll die if Griffith's dream is destroyed, and right after that is the conspiracy arc where Griffith puts Guts in a situation where he murders a child. Zodd shows up at Doldrey to save Guts' life and enable them to win the battle, and the celebration of that victory is where Guts realizes he's Griffith's valued tool but not his friend. Then finally he shows up to save Griffith from Wyald, which of course leads to the Eclipse and everything that goes with it.

Post-Eclipse he shifts to being Griffith's surrogate for Guts in his new Band of the Hawk Falcon, and even then Zodd is the one who destroys the cave that was sheltering Casca from the full effects of the brand, forcing Guts to reconsider his focus on revenge and shift to helping Casca recover instead.

So, wait, how does this reading fit in with the last time they met, where Zodd helped Guts?

I mean, that event did directly lead to the whole, uh, fantasy turning reality thing, that was kind of a big deal, but I'm not 100% on how that affected the relationship between Guts/Zodd and Griffith?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So, wait, how does this reading fit in with the last time they met, where Zodd helped Guts?

I mean, that event did directly lead to the whole, uh, fantasy turning reality thing, that was kind of a big deal, but I'm not 100% on how that affected the relationship between Guts/Zodd and Griffith?

Honestly I think the metaphor only really works up through the Golden Age, after that Zodd is just Guts' replacement in the Band. He's the rebound, so to speak. :v:

You might want to keep on eye on where Miura goes with this whole spirit child thing and Griffith's lingering emotional ties to Guts, though, just in case.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

We need a seriously dark phase in Hollywood or elsewhere

Do you not watch any TV or movies? The most popular TV series at the moment is a terrible fantasy series that delivers its metatextual "LOOK HOW loving EDGY AND SHOCKING WE'RE TRYING TO BE, human being! gently caress YOU" message through regular rape/abuse/death of children and it's won more emmys than any other primetime series ever. The most critically acclaimed comic book movie this year is an oppressively bleak pseudo western about a washed up superhero helping a group of child soldiers escape a group of child torturers/murderers/slavers.

We are in that dark phase and it's mostly horrible.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I GUESS Lost Children could work for a mainstream audience if they put Rosine in clothes, and even if they include Guts killing all the kids maybe make slightly less...explicit? Like don't have the flesh sacs he slices open to douse the fire be what the kids are in?

You don't have to age up or put clothes on Rosine, just cast an 18 year old and don't mention her age in the script. Nothing else in that arc is beyond the pale compared to what is already out there and you're naive if you think Hollywood - you know, the place that's as conducive a work environment for pedos as politics, organized religion, law enforcement, youtube moderation, or corrupt charities - cares about any of this beyond avoiding an NC-17 rating.

That arc works for a mainstream audience because Jill works as a sympathetic audience stand in and the arc itself can stand alone as a story. It sets itself apart in that the hero is the character whose background isn't fully fleshed out whereas the villain is, making Guts seem like a force of nature that is just there without any real explanation. Kind of like the inverse of the Joker and Batman in the Dark Knight.

Crabtree posted:

gently caress that, I don't care if they have to bring back ye old animatronic puppet fights and stop motion animation from the 70s-90s to make sure the actors actually look like they know what they're actually fighting or reacting to, pulling off some super expensive return to the old ways like Fury Road, but I'm not star warsing up anything guts does. I'll bathe the entire cast in fake blood and take a group picture of the whole crew, I'll personally make sure Zodd is a fully articulate 9-10 foot tall robot that can bleed and release steam as it comes in from the transformation shots or heals its arm back into place, but CGI will only touch up rough edges or be in full effect for something like the Eclipse as something that is supposed to be unnatural and alien -- and even that's going to make sure there's sets and puppet for the actors to follow and actually act in.

Hell yeah but instead of those CGI touch ups which you'd need in nearly every shot for things like Guts's arm, I'd just rotoscope the whole thing. It'll look better than the CG (and way better than stop motion) and more importantly will allow you to cast someone like Tom Hardy who doesn't look like Guts but whose voice and physical acting ability are probably perfect for the role.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://mobile.twitter.com/butthole_boy/status/866376726343020545

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Wrong thread but we finally see the final form of the egg apostle

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

Guts was telling the group he was mercenary buds with Griffith a couple chapters ago

I mean not that I doubted you of course but yes, now that I've gone back and checked you are correct.

He makes it all very clear at the group dinner so unless Dropey was completely distracted (not an impossibility), even he knows now. And it's discussed in a way that makes it seem like it was already known for folks.

D'oh, that's why you end up having to re-read so often... I feel like so much time passes that you forget stuff.

Phobophilia posted:

Wrong thread but we finally see the final form of the egg apostle

what would Dan McLaughlin sacrifice

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 22, 2017

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

what would Dan McLaughlin sacrifice

He'd try to sacrifice every living nonwhite person, everyone under the poverty line and all Muslims and the Godhand would refuse him like the Count

EDIT: He'd bleed out because all of the best players from whites-only baseball are already dead

Regulus74 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 23, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://readberserk.com/chapter/berserk-chapter-350-raw-spoilers/

Spoilers for next chapter.

Continues next month!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
drat, it looks like all of those memories are there, but those Golden Age moments are eventually going to run out with that dark sun hanging in the distance.