Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Is the currently airing in Japan season of AoT really on Toonami?

Probably, they've done it with other stuff like space dandy and dimension w. It's usually a few episodes behind is all I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it's a few eps behind, but it's airing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://u.nya.is/mkjmhr.webm

dunk squad

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
how can lebron be better than jordan when he isn't even better than gran

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

These are from the Blame! movie?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah it's really good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I dunno, I've been watching it on Toonami and it's still kinda boring.

That's because dubs are bad

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
My Hero Academia dub is really, really good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Namtab posted:

I don't think watching it in Japanese is going to make it any more interesting.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Namtab posted:

Except if it's Black Lagoon, Baccano or Code Geass.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Grouchio posted:

Except if it's Black Lagoon, Baccano or Code Geass.

Or Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop and Gun X Sword.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only good dubs are Cyber City Oedo and the Fist of the Northstar movie

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually, i think you'll find that dubs are good

https://files.catbox.moe/gx650n.mp4

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if there is a dub you like of a show and you can't speak japanese, i don't really see the point of watching the sub instead.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if there is a dub you like of a show and you can't speak japanese, i don't really see the point of watching the sub instead.

A dub can be good while still having worse performances than the original. Madoka, Haruhi come to mind.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well, im not a retarded american thats afraid of having to read some words while i watch something

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

There are a couple:
1. There's approximately 3 english-speaking voice actors, and between anime and games you'll get sick of their voices fairly quickly.
2. It's not like you don't listen to the audio, and sometimes you can find glimpses of the wordplay when things rhyme or whatever, which usually doesn't translate well to a dub.
3. Those 3 English voice actors are fairly poor at pronouncing the Japanese words (like names) they need to. Case in point, "Canoy" from Mayo Chiki. Also, pronouns and honorifics, which helps with the understanding of the way someone's talking, which in the current translation paradigm are not preserved. Case in point: "Ore-sama" or "Watakushi-sama" from Tsugumomo/Majikoi or Seto no Hanayome, respectively.
4. The recording process is seemingly different on average between the original recording session and the dub recording session. Whereas the original session will have multiple actors in a room playing off one another, whereas the dub often seems to be recorded by single actors in their own isolation booths. It also adds an extra level of interpretation between the way the original voice director depicted it (perhaps in collaboration with the original creator) and how we hear it.
5. I'm working on learning to understand Japanese, and hearing the original voices helps with later recognizing vocabulary words and pronunciations.

On a completely different note: Uchouten Kazoku still owns and I can't wait for next week's episode. Based on the preview, it seems like we'll finally be learning more about the best character.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's good when honorifics aren't preserved in dubs

the actual problem with dubs is when you get something like maidragon

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 21, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

it's good when honorifics aren't preserved in dubs

Depends on the show, IMO. K-On or any other show about Japanese people who live in Japan and speak Japanese should leave them in, something like Gundam or Izetta or something where there's no strong reason to think that people are speaking Japanese specifically don't need to bother.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

well, im not a retarded american thats afraid of having to read some words while i watch something

lol at this big dumb baby

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spiritus Nox posted:

Depends on the show, IMO. K-On or any other show about Japanese people who live in Japan and speak Japanese should leave them in, something like Gundam or Izetta or something where there's no strong reason to think that people are speaking Japanese specifically don't need to bother.

If it's so Japanese they need honorifics in maybe they shouldn't bother dubbing it in the first place.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a lot of the dubs people are listing as good itt just copy the voice direction from the original performance. so i mean, it's not like you'd necessarily get an inferior experience. but at that point it kinda makes me question what worth the dub has, as a person who is not incapable of reading subtitles.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honorifics in English sound dumb, and they only carry extra meaning if you already know what they mean. Which the vast majority of English speakers don't.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

a lot of the dubs people are listing as good itt just copy the voice direction from the original performance. so i mean, it's not like you'd necessarily get an inferior experience. but at that point it kinda makes me question what worth the dub has, as a person who is not incapable of reading subtitles.

Yeah this is how I feel about it too. At best, you get something as good as the original, and often you get something worse. What's the point?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Honorifics in English sound dumb, and they only carry extra meaning if you already know what they mean. Which the vast majority of English speakers don't.

What percentage of anime-watching English speakers, though?

Anyway... the way I took to read the question is "What does the Japanese voice track provide over the dub if you're not fluent in Japanese?". Honorifics and personal pronouns are one of those things. I'm not arguing that they should be included in the dub, but I appreciate their existence in the JP track.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 21, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Droyer posted:

Yeah this is how I feel about it too. At best, you get something as good as the original, and often you get something worse. What's the point?

Sometimes when I'm casually watching a show, I like to be able to glance away occasionally and follow via audio. With subs, you have to keep your eyes glued to the screen throughout.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Maybe they should consider learning what these things mean.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kytrarewn posted:

Anyway... the way I took to read the question is "What does the Japanese voice track provide over the original if you're not fluent in Japanese". Honorifics and personal pronouns are one of those things. I'm not arguing that they should be included in the dub, but I appreciate their existence in the JP track.

It's definitely possible to carry all that into a natural English script, but it relies on context and a lot of effort, which is usually asking too much of all simulcasts and most dubs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kytrarewn posted:

Yeah, that's the whole thing, if you're nerdy enough to know what all the different honorifics mean, then you're probably gonna be watching the subs anyway. If you're watching the dub, then the honorifics probably won't have any meaning to you, it'll just be weird.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Not this discussion again.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Man you guys just dove in huh.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

It's okay

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

StandardVC10 posted:

yeah we never even finished ranking all the kyoani series, let's go back to that

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think the better question is doms vs subs.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Sometimes when I'm casually watching a show, I like to be able to glance away occasionally and follow via audio. With subs, you have to keep your eyes glued to the screen throughout.

i just pause stuff constantly :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

Maybe they should consider learning what these things mean.

honorifics aren't nearly as meaningful as people like to pretend they are and their meaning can be communicated via tone and good performances/writing

edit: also most modern dub vas are okay and jp vaing isn't as good as people like to pretend it is, either. however a lot of dub scripts are pretty bad. see: the funi dragon maid dub scrubbing out like seven instances of implied romance and adding in some weird lines because funimation is run by rick santorum

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
if you have actors you really like and their voice is sex in your ears that's reason enough imo, whether they're english or japanese.

personally i'm attached to most jp-lady seiyuu so I'll choose them every time. and then there's the abundance of cute dialects, catchphrases, vocal tics, etc. that makes the sub option much more appealing.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, I'm not sure why but sometimes the Japanese voice actors can be hypnotic in ways that I haven't quite heard in dubs. Like I could listen to Nino from ACCA or Yukino from Oregairu reciting economic statistics and I'd probably enjoy it. Might it just be the difference in talent levels? Are dub voice actors decently paid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah we never even finished ranking all the kyoani series, let's go back to that

K-on!, hyouka, nichijou, and the rest

• Locked thread